Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Shrewsbury - Post Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Good result. Look forward to seeing some 3-0 wins in person once the Belgians are gone.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

I have absolutely no idea how Ricky Holmes was playing in League Two aged 28.

Exceptionally good, even at League One level.

Like a poor man's Payet.
  • Options
    Some players just bloom late/don't get the credit they deserve.
  • Options
    3-0 and we didn't lose, concentrating on the positive but sometimes even my heart isn't in it, good win though.
  • Options

Grandkids staying over after late night at The Valley so minimum input from me this morning.

Only a couple of points to add to the thread..

GREAT to see a positive, winning performance from the lads but especially to bear witness to yet another Young Gun showing how special is our Academy.

The down side is of course that offers may well be landing in KM's lap before too long and RD 's cunning plan will have another tick on his wall chart.

We sat with GHF's lovely German Addicks pre match ( the ones who sat/drank with our BFG at the last PSF) and it's clear that Patrick will be seeking to play at a higher level when fully fit. If, or rather, when he leaves along with Tex then our centre backs will inevitably be Konsa & Lennon/Johnson. Add to that mix a late August offer for Lookie that Roland "can't" refuse and the squad once again looks fragile....

But, let's not detract from what for needy Addicks was a very welcome victory with 3 goals to boot. Our Rickeee! is fast becoming a crowd favourite & rightly so whilst Big Josh up front has started to show why he signed on the dotted line. Long may it last !

However, on a sour note, we spoke with our ex neighbours from Dartford whose family have supported Charlton for many years ..in fact Wendy's parents met on The Valley terraces many moons ago. Last night they borrowed season tickets from friends who were away on holiday but stated they won't be back in SE7 until the regime packs its bags & heads back across the Channel. SO sad that these ultra faithful fans, worth their weight in gold for their support through the good & bad times at our club, feel they can't justify spending any money to swell the Belgian's coffers.

Whatever happens on the pitch between now & May remains to be seen, but one certainty is that we must NOT waver in our efforts to demonstrate to RD that he has chosen the wrong club.

It is, and will always be, OUR club & the clock on his tenure is ticking.....

Well said Fanny
  • Options

How did Ajose play? Great win obviously, but he needs a goal to get himself off and running, seems like the sort of player who once he gets 1, he'll go from strength to strength.

I think ‘we’ struggled to get him in the game. He’s not going to win much in the air, he needs the ball on the deck, at his feet or in space where he can collect. A creative midfielder would make a huge difference to his performance and ultimately our results too.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Grandkids staying over after late night at The Valley so minimum input from me this morning.

Only a couple of points to add to the thread..

GREAT to see a positive, winning performance from the lads but especially to bear witness to yet another Young Gun showing how special is our Academy.

The down side is of course that offers may well be landing in KM's lap before too long and RD 's cunning plan will have another tick on his wall chart.

We sat with GHF's lovely German Addicks pre match ( the ones who sat/drank with our BFG at the last PSF) and it's clear that Patrick will be seeking to play at a higher level when fully fit. If, or rather, when he leaves along with Tex then our centre backs will inevitably be Konsa & Lennon/Johnson. Add to that mix a late August offer for Lookie that Roland "can't" refuse and the squad once again looks fragile....

But, let's not detract from what for needy Addicks was a very welcome victory with 3 goals to boot. Our Rickeee! is fast becoming a crowd favourite & rightly so whilst Big Josh up front has started to show why he signed on the dotted line. Long may it last !

However, on a sour note, we spoke with our ex neighbours from Dartford whose family have supported Charlton for many years ..in fact Wendy's parents met on The Valley terraces many moons ago. Last night they borrowed season tickets from friends who were away on holiday but stated they won't be back in SE7 until the regime packs its bags & heads back across the Channel. SO sad that these ultra faithful fans, worth their weight in gold for their support through the good & bad times at our club, feel they can't justify spending any money to swell the Belgian's coffers.

Whatever happens on the pitch between now & May remains to be seen, but one certainty is that we must NOT waver in our efforts to demonstrate to RD that he has chosen the wrong club.

It is, and will always be, OUR club & the clock on his tenure is ticking.....

I don't think Pearce will be happy you left him out the centre back pairing!

I can't see anyone buying BFG, he's not played enough football this year.
  • Options

How did Ajose play? Great win obviously, but he needs a goal to get himself off and running, seems like the sort of player who once he gets 1, he'll go from strength to strength.

I think ‘we’ struggled to get him in the game. He’s not going to win much in the air, he needs the ball on the deck, at his feet or in space where he can collect. A creative midfielder would make a huge difference to his performance and ultimately our results too.
    Agree entirely and every time Ajose got anywhere near the ball he was surrounded by 4 or 5 Shrewsbury players and shut out.
    Even so, on another night and when his confidence is up to speed, he might of and probably should have bagged a brace.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Took my brother's season ticket as he's on holiday.
    Pretty convincing last night, Shrewsbury were pretty awful at the back and we took advantage.
    Holmes MOM, good to see a player constantly driving at your opponents.
    Really like the big fella Magennis too, perfect for this division, Makienok pales in comparison to the guy
    I worry if we need to go chasing the game- Foley/Jacko/Crofts don't have the drive to drag us back- too much backwards/sideways passing.
    Lots of long balls towards the big man, is no bad thing for this level as it is going to win us more games than we lose and will prove to be effective I'm sure
  • Options
    Given how industrial a lot of our football is I'm not sure how Ajose will do. He's very slight for a forward but hopefully having Magennis as a strike partner will help.
  • Options

Dont want to be Johnny Rain Cloud but we beat a team that was crud in a ten minute spell. The second half wasn't that good but probably because we had put the game to bed so early. We won't get too many these games in this league.

Always want my team to win but the regime can do one.

As I said yesterday though...

The thing to be positive about is that yes... Shrewsbury were poor but they were no poorer than Bristol City / Bolton / MK Dons who came to the Valley last season and left with some kind of result, Charlton have ALWAYS been able to raise their game for the big matches, yet it's against the poorer teams we've ALWAYS struggled.

Funnily everyone is saying that we need more of a creative force (Which is true as very soon teams will realise that our attacking outlet will mainly come from Ricky Holmes and will nullify that threat) yet for me last night we were more than adequate going forward, what worried me was how suspect we were at the back... i.e. a few times Shrewsbury broke through and on one occasion it was Foley who put in the last ditch tackle right in the middle of the penalty area yet he was playing Right-Midfield!!
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Loved it. Warm night, good football and a lovely atmosphere. Please keep staying away, moaners.

Don't worry....i'm sure the thousands of moaners will stay away, I doubt a 3-0 home win, the first since 2nd April, against the favourites for relegation will have them flooding back.
  • Options

purdis said:

Agree entirely and every time Ajose got anywhere near the ball he was surrounded by 4 or 5 Shrewsbury players and shut out.
    Even so, on another night and when his confidence is up to speed, he might of and probably should have bagged a brace.

Agree with both posts on Ajose... Every time the ball went near him it was a lump up field and (with this being the first game I've seen him) it's clear that heading the ball isnt a quality that we can rely upon, on the other hand the two times he was a threat on goal shows that he's got really good positional sense (rushed his effort from the Magennis cut back in the first half) and despite having nothing to work from, he has that alertness to gobble up any loose balls in the penalty area (Sadly the Lookman shot that came off the 'keeper just wouldn't quite sit for him).

We've got nothing to worry about in regards to the question... Is he just the next Simon Church
  • Options

Interesting reading the comments on here - I went to my first game last night for ages. Obviously Macginnis and Holmes caught the eye but I am particularly interested in the positive comments others give to our midfield. For me, they spent large parts of it chasing shadows while Shrewsbury passed neat triangles around them, yet when in possession we were not able to do the same, invariably being hounded back at which point yet another long ball was hoofed up to the big man up front - who luckily kept winning them. Slade might call that containment but for long periods I thought we looked second best in possession and lacking in creativity. That concerns me for when we play better teams.

I thought we knocked it around on the deck MUCH more than I'd been expecting, fwiw
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Interesting reading the comments on here - I went to my first game last night for ages. Obviously Macginnis and Holmes caught the eye but I am particularly interested in the positive comments others give to our midfield. For me, they spent large parts of it chasing shadows while Shrewsbury passed neat triangles around them, yet when in possession we were not able to do the same, invariably being hounded back at which point yet another long ball was hoofed up to the big man up front - who luckily kept winning them. Slade might call that containment but for long periods I thought we looked second best in possession and lacking in creativity. That concerns me for when we play better teams.

I thought we knocked it around on the deck MUCH more than I'd been expecting, fwiw
    Not to any great effect I thought. We were more dangerous when Holmes and Lookman ran at them and Magennis battered them.
  • Options
    The key to this season will be to attack teams like we did in the first half and then keep things nice and balanced in the second half, defend from the front, only let the defence mop up whilst all other stuff is dealt with by the other 6 players.
  • Options
    I feel a lot more confident about our chances of success this season than I did after the Bury game, the new signings appear to be gelling quite well.
    If we can now bring in a creative midfielder to help bring the strikers more into the game we should be okay

And should we gain promotion Roland just might sell up and give us our club back
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I'm really, really sad that I see Charlton Athletic, my team, the team that I love and have so much emotional investment in, win 3-0 and I barely feel anything.

You're even tainting the wins Roland.

Please leave so I can enjoy Charlton again.

Have felt the exact same, despite going to both home games!
    Just don't feel any affiliation to the players (barring youth team and the obvious ones like Jackson etc)!

When we score goals, they just don't feel the same and dare I say it - I'm not too bothered either!
    The only song from the covered end I join in with is VFR too!
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

I have you right from what I saw. One player with the right attributes playing in there should fix though.

I know he wanted to go and had a clause in his contract, but if you put Cousins in that side for Foley, you don't have a top 6 side but a top 2 one! It is clear what the club needs to do.
    Diarra will sort that problem out. He'll start attacks with his interceptions.
    As does Kashi.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    LenGlover said:

PWR

Refreshing to see us grab a game by the scruff of the neck for a change and 'go for it.'

All is not as lovely in the garden as the scoreline would suggest in my view and had Shrewsbury's shooting radar been aligned better things might have been different. Churlish though to think that. It made a refreshing change to come to a game and leave feeling entertained.

No idea what the declared official crowd was but from my seat the home areas didn't look wildly different to Saturday. The Jimmy Seed understandably looked rather emptier.

What a cracker from 'team of Ricky Holmes' and I'm struggling to recall when if ever I've witnessed a goal direct from a corner when watching Charlton.

I thought Magennis did well despite the handicap of my getting my Pearces round my Magennises and shouting 'come on Jason' to him! In fact they all did well even Ajose. At least he's getting there to miss them. One will go in off his arse soon and he will be on his way.

Yes serious problems off the field which I do not want to diminish but last night I actually enjoyed watching a game at The Valley again and that hasn't really been the case for a while.

East stand was a lot emptier without all the freebies, others more marginally so. Pics at www.votvonline.com
  • Options
    I feel the game was a tad overpriced for what it was.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

PWR

Refreshing to see us grab a game by the scruff of the neck for a change and 'go for it.'

All is not as lovely in the garden as the scoreline would suggest in my view and had Shrewsbury's shooting radar been aligned better things might have been different. Churlish though to think that. It made a refreshing change to come to a game and leave feeling entertained.

No idea what the declared official crowd was but from my seat the home areas didn't look wildly different to Saturday. The Jimmy Seed understandably looked rather emptier.

What a cracker from 'team of Ricky Holmes' and I'm struggling to recall when if ever I've witnessedg a goal direct from a corner when watching Charlton.

I thought Magennis did well despite the handicap of my getting my Pearces round my Magennises and shouting 'come on Jason' to him! In fact they all did well even Ajose. At least he's getting there to miss them. One will go in off his arse soon and he will be on his way.

Yes serious problems off the field which I do not want to diminish but last night I actually enjoyed watching a game at The Valley again and that hasn't really been the case for a while.

Come on Len, how could you forget the one scored by Eamonn Rogers at the Valley in the early seventies, it was only about 44 years ago!
  • Options
    say hypothetically RD sold up mid season and we had a new owner, next home game - what would the crowd be (League 1, against say a Chesterfield / Oldham)
  • Options

LenGlover said:

PWR

What a cracker from 'team of Ricky Holmes' and I'm struggling to recall when if ever I've witnessedg a goal direct from a corner when watching Charlton.

Come on Len, how could you forget the one scored by Eamonn Rogers at the Valley in the early seventies, it was only about 44 years ago!
    I was probably playing rugby that day!
  • Options

Went on my brothers (scab - winky face) ticket as he's on holiday.

Decent performance against an average Shrewsbury team. My first look at the team and Holmes was the stand out - he will be a Valley hero! The new lad up front was a handful and a lot more agile than I was expecting, so I think he will be a real asset in this league.

North lower felt busy being in it (if all sat down - sad face) but I'm sure that was misleading. We moved upstairs second half and the atmosphere was decent tbf.

Strange feeling for me though - looking around everyone looked so normal and oblivious to the on-going issue with the owners. When I say normal I mean you would never have guessed in a million years what is happening to the club they are watching and that's what dawned on me most - a big percentage of those who continue to go, don't, I think, see any problem with what is occurring at the club and that if the team do well, I honestly can't see them thinking about protesting, let alone actually doing it.

It's like the support is cut in half and I can see problems in the future if (and when) us boycotters return for the purpose of a protest - I can't see it being well received by those who seem blinkered to what is happening to their club, or just don't care about anything outside the game to game.

It made me feel that it will be a continuing, long, and ultimately losing battle and that depressed me as I personally don't feel I can support the club how I used to until the owners have gone.

So sad it's come to this when good performances and enjoyable (on the face of it) days and evenings like last night are either not witnessed by some or don't feel how they should feel.

I only hope the support at Walsall will both get behind the team but also express an anti ownership vibe too.

Especially if we are near the top of the table. I fully expect a large percent will take the stance of lets suspended protesting until the end of the season.

I am certain whether under Roland or the new owners we will be playing League two football at some point in the next 3 years.