Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Shrewsbury - Post Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Very rarely back Charlton last night backed them and both teams to score at 5/1!!, ah well will happily take the win, hopefully we can get 4 points out of the remaining 2 August fixtures and won't be that bad a start to the season.
  • Options
    Good win albeit with no dramas albeit against a poor side. Thought their keeper was hopeless.

All players still getting to know each other so I think we'll improve. Need more mobility in midfield still.
  • Options
    How did Ajose play? Great win obviously, but he needs a goal to get himself off and running, seems like the sort of player who once he gets 1, he'll go from strength to strength.
  • Options
    back 3-1 with Holmes first goal @ 50/1 so I was gutted we didn't let them have a consolation at the end there

great win, atmosphere was good as well in NU
  • Options
    Having given up my season ticket; i missed my 1st home for nearly 5 years
    on Saturday. Used my Dad's ticket last night and enjoyed the Ricky Holmes show.

Over the season, That midfield will frustrate, they all grafted last night,
    but if we let a team have that much of the ball we will come a cropper when the opposition forwards have their shooting boots on.

As a one off, it made a change and good to see the rapport between RS and the fans.

If we could get 1 more season out of Lookman and Bauer, and find a creative midfielder, we could finish in the top six ?

Like other good judges, if we can supply Ajose in the box he will deliver, not his night but i believe with support of the crowd he will come good.
  • Options

How did Ajose play? Great win obviously, but he needs a goal to get himself off and running, seems like the sort of player who once he gets 1, he'll go from strength to strength.

He really came alive in the box. Showed very quick feet a couple of times to get space for a shot and was onto keeper rebounds like a flash. Missed two or three chances in this game but definitely has the attributes such as anticipation and positioning. I expect a strong season from him.
  • Options
    Rudd: 7 Prem goalie, looks like the best we've had since Deano, oozes (sp?) class.
    Solly: 7 Another v good game. You've gotta love Chris Solly.
    Fox: 6 Miscontrolled ball at start and it ran off, lots of poor passing as usual. Some decent play & passion.
    Konsa: 6 Similar to Saturday he will be a very good player. Plenty of good play & a number of mistakes.
    Pearce:7 Solid game & starting to settle down.
    Foley: 6 Same as Saturday, competent but doesn't add much.
    Crofts: 7.5 Best game so far. A lot of good work & much less wayward passing. Looked good tonight.
    Jackson: 7 Decent game scored again & looks far fitter than last week.
    Holmes: 9 Oh my, what a game. Scored with a run from half way line & also from a corner. Brilliant.
    Magennis:7 Another good game. He's a right handful.
    Ajose: 6 Working hard, but little is coming off for him & he missed an open goal.

Lookman: n/a Another excellent performance, ran them ragged.
    Novak: n/a Hardly had any game time
    Botaka: n/a Ditto

What an enjoyable game, best since I can't remember when & what a joy to see Charlton score 3 before half time.

Holmes was different class & his run from the half way line to score was superb. What a player we have here.

He backed it up by scoring from a corner.

Rudd, Solly & Pearce were all solid and played well.

Fox & Konsa had good moments & Konsa will be a good player, but both made a number of mistakes and could struggle against better teams.

Crofts & Jackson had better games and played well. Foley was decent but had another quiet game.

Magennis was a right handful and he really puts in a shift. Ajose tried, but it's just not happening for him & he missed an open goal.

Lookman was really exciting when he came on.

After all the dross we've seen for the last few years, it was wonderful to leave the ground, beaming at having seen 3 goals which could have been 6. Excellent performance.

The support was excellent, really getting behind the team & singing songs for Solly, Holmes, Jackson, Ajose (despite his poor form) and Slade. The only negative was a very strange last 10 mins, when they started singing anti Roger Johnson songs, which seemed bizarre to me considering everything was so happy.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Interesting reading the comments on here - I went to my first game last night for ages. Obviously Macginnis and Holmes caught the eye but I am particularly interested in the positive comments others give to our midfield. For me, they spent large parts of it chasing shadows while Shrewsbury passed neat triangles around them, yet when in possession we were not able to do the same, invariably being hounded back at which point yet another long ball was hoofed up to the big man up front - who luckily kept winning them. Slade might call that containment but for long periods I thought we looked second best in possession and lacking in creativity. That concerns me for when we play better teams.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Interesting reading the comments on here - I went to my first game last night for ages. Obviously Macginnis and Holmes caught the eye but I am particularly interested in the positive comments others give to our midfield. For me, they spent large parts of it chasing shadows while Shrewsbury passed neat triangles around them, yet when in possession we were not able to do the same, invariably being hounded back at which point yet another long ball was hoofed up to the big man up front - who luckily kept winning them. Slade might call that containment but for long periods I thought we looked second best in possession and lacking in creativity. That concerns me for when we play better teams.

I have you right from what I saw. One player with the right attributes playing in there should fix though.

I know he wanted to go and had a clause in his contract, but if you put Cousins in that side for Foley, you don't have a top 6 side but a top 2 one! It is clear what the club needs to do.
  • Options
    Good win, all over in 30 mins. Holmes unplayable and Ajose needs time, will come good. Macginnis will become a valley fav. Midfield much better and how nice not to be talking about the defence for a change. The usual Lookman cameo.
    Wilder struggling at Sheffield ha ha.
    Didn't go, I'm on holiday in Portugal.
  • Options
    C4FC4L1f3 said:

I'm really, really sad that I see Charlton Athletic, my team, the team that I love and have so much emotional investment in, win 3-0 and I barely feel anything.

You're even tainting the wins Roland.

Please leave so I can enjoy Charlton again.

I agree it feels like a win for the regime now which it shouldn't be.

It is hard to support the team but not the regime, because if they win every match then the regime can't really be criticised.
    Depends if you see Roland out on that pitch or 11 players playing for our club.

I enjoyed it although as previously mentioned 2nd half was pretty slow.

First 15 mins fairly even maybe shrews edge a bit but grew into and quick goals killed it.
  • Options
    Halix said:

Will Roger Johnson ever warm up again?

Hopefully not. He'll be 6th choice centre back if Texeira stays.

Bauer, Tex, Pearce, Lennon, Konsa all ahead of him.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Best Foley moment was when he gave it away really badly, in a sort of 'people will give him 4 in Player Ratings' way, then immediately charged back and won it, putting him back to a 6 ;)

Was that the one in the second half as I thought the best moment when he won it back was when he passed it to a Charlton player second time around and then trotting back into position put his hand up acknowledging that it was his fault and that he was apologising for it.

Thought it was good to see a Charlton player taking responsibility for their actions and caring about a mistake... Something we've not seen for a while
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Disapointed the team couldn't give the ball to Lookman more when it was clear he was unplayable!
  • Options
    Holmes or Wagstaff. (Green eliminated)
  • Options
    agim said:

Didn't think I'd be on here moaning about a 3-0 win but what the hell did RS say to them at half time?! We came out a totally different team, not pressing or taken the game to them. Shrewsbury are not a good team and if we could of taken the first half into the second we would of seen a 4/5 - 0.
    MOTM holmes

Job done lads, keep it simple, don't give it away!. We go again saturday. ..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2016
    C4FC4L1f3 said:

I'm really, really sad that I see Charlton Athletic, my team, the team that I love and have so much emotional investment in, win 3-0 and I barely feel anything.

You're even tainting the wins Roland.

Please leave so I can enjoy Charlton again.

I agree it feels like a win for the regime now which it shouldn't be.

It is hard to support the team but not the regime, because if they win every match then the regime can't really be criticised.
    We are in League 1, we are a laughing stock in football.
    we don't know how to treat injured players. we have lost 50% of our crowd.
    we don't know how to treat staff, chief scout, goal keeping coach moved to better jobs. the CEO is a nightmeire. The head of comms lasts a month after being lied to about her remit, ETC ETC

Dream on buddy.
  • Options
    A calamitous opening half hour at The Valley meant Shrewsbury Town still await their first League One win of the campaign.

With Micky Mellon’s side also still searching for their first goal, it was hosts Charlton Town who enjoyed their first victory of the season with three strikes inside 30 minutes.

Read more at http://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/shrewsbury-town-fc/2016/08/16/charlton-3-shrewsbury-town-0-report/#IP9fAW3MCAPwxYWZ.9

and somebody changed our name Soapbox better find some valium mate.
  • Options
    I said on Saturday that there were some positive signs but we were still not yet playing like a team.

I still don't think we have gelled fully but this was a large step forward. Virtually all the players seem to be comfortable with the ball, some incredibly so - like Holmes attacking with the ball seemingly stuck to his feet and outpacing the opposition.

There is a will to win here and the best is yet to come.
  • Options

I have you right from what I saw. One player with the right attributes playing in there should fix though.

I know he wanted to go and had a clause in his contract, but if you put Cousins in that side for Foley, you don't have a top 6 side but a top 2 one! It is clear what the club needs to do.
    Diarra will sort that problem out. He'll start attacks with his interceptions.
  • Options
    Can't believe some of the low marks Crofts has been given on ratings thread. Already seems to have divided opinion in a handful of games.

He is a player that's worth will only be appreciated when he is out through injury/suspension.
  • Options
    Dont want to be Johnny Rain Cloud but we beat a team that was crud in a ten minute spell. The second half wasn't that good but probably because we had put the game to bed so early. We won't get too many these games in this league.

Always want my team to win but the regime can do one.
  • Options
    now we're movin' .. REALLY looking forward to Saturday in downtown Walsall
  • Options

back 3-1 with Holmes first goal @ 50/1 so I was gutted we didn't let them have a consolation at the end there

great win, atmosphere was good as well in NU

Got on this at 100/1, you need a new booky!

Was gutted when the chance at the end flashed past the post
  • Options
    my bet was in Crossbars

I was willing them to score at the end ;)