Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Shrewsbury - Post Match Thread

123457»

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2016

Encouraged by the reports on Holmes. Along with Yann, Andy Reid was probably my favourite player of the last 10 years.

Don't know how comparable Reidy and Holmes are, but what made Reidy stand out for me was he was always a hive of activity - always wanted the ball, and when he had always wanted to make something happen, passing and moving with energy, imagination and directness. Sounds like Holmes attacked the game last night in the same fashion. Having a player like that in your side can lift others and the crowd and drag everyone round to a positive mindset. Early days for him but he sounds a potential talisman.

His sports science background is interesting and perhaps explains why he has kept himself in such good shape (certainly not like Reidy in that respect). Seems like a man enjoying his late flourishing career and making up for lost time (perhaps like Yann).

Hopefully we'll get a TV gig sometime so I can watch him for myself.

Swindon away. Saturday 12 November. Midday kick-off.
    Urrghh, why always midday - 5 a.m. my time. Beggars can't be choosers I guess. Thanks for the heads up.
  • Options
    So many negative comments about Shrewsbury ...they may not be the best we will face, but they are a reasonable passing team.
  • Options
    More doom and gloom, we are now down to 9th as Fleetwood win tonight, Slade out :wink:
  • Options

We play 4-3-3 against Walsall and I think we will win. Providing the starting front three are Holmes, Lookman and Magennis.

Holmes looks keen and capable to work back and support Fox (or Solly if he switches) so we could comfortably revert to a 4-5-1 with Holmes and Lookman dropping when we are not in possession.
  • Options
    purdis said:

We play 4-3-3 against Walsall and I think we will win. Providing the starting front three are Holmes, Lookman and Magennis.

Holmes looks keen and capable to work back and support Fox (or Solly if he switches) so we could comfortably revert to a 4-5-1 with Holmes and Lookman dropping when we are not in possession.
    We've just won 3-0, and you all want to change the team and formation?

What would you have wanted if we'd lost? Blood?
  • Options

Shrewsbury were one of the worst sides in this division last season. Walsall will be a real test.

Haven't started very well though so maybe a good time to play them?
    Hopefully.. Although they haven't played us yet!
  • Options
    purdis said:

Yes, I was thinking that - very good away set up. Containing three forwards who can all be unplayable in different ways!
  • Options
    its looking good - a quality CM to partner crofts (which i am told is definitely going to happen) and the starting 11 will be

The work rate of Holmes is mighty impressive - seems to appear all over the pitch. Magennis also looks very strong and in terms of character they look like the sort of players you want.
    It appears that most of the team actually want to be here which is a bit of a contrast to recent seasons.

Agreed - if I hadn't been informed differently by the hardcore I would have been mistaken in thinking there had been a strategy change
  • Options

purdis said:

We've just won 3-0, and you all want to change the team and formation?

What would you have wanted if we'd lost? Blood?
    Not looking to change anything - was just a response to a hypothetical comment - no doubt that Lookman is good enough to be a part of any line up - not just Walsall away.

My view I posted on the Shrewsbury game stated clearly that it is highly likely Ajose will come good - just needs a goal and the team need to find out which system to play to bring him into the games more.
    He had 1 excellent chance the other night and also a good chance early on - as soon as those start going in for him we'll see the player we wanted when we bought him.

There is no doubt that Lookman is a class act but is he a starter yet? I'd start with Ajose and use Lookman later in the game - his pace and skill against tired legs is a scary thought - as we saw against Shrewsbury.