Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Life on the Road: David Brent

Just been to see it. Very, very good. He's really pushing that cringe button but some of the songs he does as part of his band going on tour are gold

Comments

• Can't wait
  • Went Friday, thought it was brilliant.

"Bob Marley, am I right?!"
  • Agree. I went on Friday not expecting too much, but really enjoyed it.
  • Saw it today. Gervais is a genius.
  • Can't wait to see it. Missus hates the office so may have to end up going on my own but don't care!

Some of the scenes and moments from the TV series are proper gold. The quiz for instance...... "Cuban Dictator...What did you say??!! Er - Fray Bentos".

Gold
  • Think the two songs Gypsy Woman and Welcome To Slough that have been released on video are quite good :smile:
  • I'm glad there are early bright reviews on here. The guardian, one of many, basically said it was shit.

Really looking forward to it but the problem is I gotta wait till it comes out of Netflix.
    No spoilers please! Though I'm not expecting a massive deep plot, with a twist at the end.
  • Looking forward to this, my mates Steve, Mike and Stu are Brent's backing band along with Andy Burrows (formerly of Razorlight).
  • Thommo said:

Looking forward to this, my mates Steve, Mike and Stu are Brent's backing band along with Andy Burrows (formerly of Razorlight).

The ones from the film? They were all good as well I thought.

• Sponsored links:

• Dave2l said:

I'm glad there are early bright reviews on here. The guardian, one of many, basically said it was shit.

Really looking forward to it but the problem is I gotta wait till it comes out of Netflix.
    No spoilers please! Though I'm not expecting a massive deep plot, with a twist at the end.

Telegraph gave it 4/5. Does the Guardian lack a sense of humour, I wonder.
  • edited August 2016
    I enjoyed it - better than the reviews suggested
    - excellent songs.
  • IdleHans said:

Dave2l said:

I'm glad there are early bright reviews on here. The guardian, one of many, basically said it was shit.

I think it might be that Gervais divides opinion and annoys some people.
    When you've stated that you don't find someone funny, it's very hard to admit when something they do is funny. So people stubbornly maintain that he's shit, regardless of what he does.

I've not seen the film, by the way. It may well be shit for all I know!
  • IdleHans said:

Dave2l said:

I think it might be that Gervais divides opinion and annoys some people.
    When you've stated that you don't find someone funny, it's very hard to admit when something they do is funny. So people stubbornly maintain that he's shit, regardless of what he does.

I've not seen the film, by the way. It may well be shit for all I know!
    Some of us do genuinely believe he IS shit mind you!
  • Love The Office but thought it was terrible. Recycled jokes and nothing new.

Can't believe this is the only one of these comments. Isn't The Office incredibly overrated and Ricky Gervais is fat and talentless? Didn't someone on here once say he was the least funny comedian ever, even citing Miranda as funnier?! Where are all the 'I hate the subject of this thread and couldn't rest until I had told someone' people. Disappointed.

I can't wait for the film. Looking forward to the music and am glad that as Gervais has explained, it's not 'The Office Movie' and it stands alone.
  • edited August 2016
    I am also a massive fan of The Office, but this film is complete tosh. Everything Ricky Gervais has done without Stephen Merchant has been crap.
  • I am also a massive fan of The Office, but this film is complete tosh. Everything Ricky Gervais has done without Stephen Merchant has been crap.

This is what I'm worried about.

The Office (and Gervais in it) is genius imo.

But I really can't bear any of his other works.
  • Loved the office and loved this too.

Expected it to be a cringe fest with a few laughs and Gervais duly supplied the goods.

• Can't wait to see it. Missus hates the office so may have to end up going on my own but don't care!

Some of the scenes and moments from the TV series are proper gold. The quiz for instance...... "Cuban Dictator...What did you say??!! Er - Fray Bentos".

Gold

The best part of that episode was when Gareth sloped off in the hell's angels side car for a threesome.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2016
    Like all humour - it is down to individual taste. I love Gervais' humour but I do know many don't. I think 'Life's too short' had some of the best moments of comic genius ever, but it seemed to get a lukewarm reception. (Getting locked in the Loo, the washing machine, the condoms in the supermarket, the best man speech dressed as an Ewok etc...) Fawlty towers wasn't fully appreciated when it was first aired. Anyway, I will try to catch this film.
  • He divides opinion but to say he is talentless is a tad unfair.
    What make me laugh or someone else not is just down to personal taste.
    Mama Mia got panned by critics and so did Kevin and Perry go
    Large but an awful lot of people turned out to see each of them.
    I liked The Office and most of the other stuff Gervias has done but no one can be on top of their game all the time.
  • Loved the office, my favourite sit com og all time without doubt.

Enjoyed the film and laughed alot, but....without the other characters from the office to dilute Brent, I didn't think it was AS good as I was hoping.

Still well worth seeing though!
  • Gervais funny?

You must be joking.

Gold

The best part of that episode was when Gareth sloped off in the hell's angels side car for a threesome.
    Different episodes mate. The one with fray bentos ended with Tim getting his shoes chucked over the office roof followed by Gareth kicking his inflatable knob....

The side car threesome was when they all went out on a Wednesday night to chasers.

Not that I love the office or anything.

Not seen the film but am worried it is going to be rubbish without Smurch. I always thought that he was the real comedian in the pair. Saw him on stage at Dartford a few years back and was easily the best show I've ever seen.

• Blinkant said:

Can't wait to see it. Missus hates the office so may have to end up going on my own but don't care!

Gold

Different episodes mate. The one with fray bentos ended with Tim getting his shoes chucked over the office roof followed by Gareth kicking his inflatable knob....

The side car threesome was when they all went out on a Wednesday night to chasers.

Not that I love the office or anything.

Not seen the film but am worried it is going to be rubbish without Smurch. I always thought that he was the real comedian in the pair. Saw him on stage at Dartford a few years back and was easily the best show I've ever seen.

Wednesday night is Hooch for a pound and wonder bras get in free!!!
  • edited August 2016
    Extra's had it's moments too! Derek wasn't have you in stitches comedy, but it was very well observed and I feel important and worthy and very watchable.
  • cabbles said:

Thommo said:

Looking forward to this, my mates Steve, Mike and Stu are Brent's backing band along with Andy Burrows (formerly of Razorlight).

The ones from the film? They were all good as well I thought.

Yeah, they've just started a new band call 'The Sad Professors' http://thesadprofessors.com/ https://soundcloud.com/thesadprofessors
  • IdleHans said:

Dave2l said:

Typical rule of thumb to follow is that if it is any way mainstream/popular then The Guardian will give it a poor review to try and be contrarian.

Saw it tonight. Thought it was good without being spectacular. Some good cringey moments.

The idea of them being 'on tour' around Berkshire on a tour bus for three weeks, staying in hotels etc cracked me up.

Great comedy writers always provide a vulnerable side to humorous characters, and David Brent's character is fantastically layered in that sense.
  • Haven't seen the film and unlikely to until I can watch it at home. David Brent (Gervais) is similar to Alan Partridge (Coogan) in that both characters are very close to the comedians playing them, the line between the character and the actor is deliberately blurry.

Both characters are disfunctional, an extension of the disfunctions the actors recognise in themselves.