Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Life on the Road: David Brent

Comments

• Options
    Loved The Office , Extras and Life's too short.
    Derek , I absolutely hated .
  • Options
    As I've put on another thread, Gervais gives an excellent performance but the film is terrible.
  • Options

I hated Derek as I felt it was simply laughing at disability rather pocking fun at our preconceptions of disability. Extras was amazing.
  • Options
    I thought Derek was one of the best written observations since the royle family

The episode with the rescue animals I'm not ashamed to say put a huge lump in my throat. More so than when his dad died

I'm really looking forward to life in the road. Brent is a wonderful character and has been born from a good few people we all know

Life's too short had at least one outright hilarious scene in each episode. I still laugh when I think of Liam Neeson doing the improv and Warwick and his assistant fly tipping the washing machine

Extras was good and as above you had to be patient to get a big laugh which the whole episode may have been building up to
  • Options
    Absolutely loved the film!!!! I laughed from start to finish, and even buried my face due to some seriously funny cringe moments. Brilliant movie.
  • Options
    wasn't Derek spawned on the back of Gervais being pulled up on twitter for pulling stupid faces?
  • Options

I can see how you felt that. I felt differently - maybe because I used to work with lots of people with learning disabilities years ago (my job was to help them find jobs). I think Gervais caught the essence of his character. It was so well observed. However, people with learning disabilities are all individuals so you can't generalise. I remember an employer with her heart in the right place saying to me that she liked employing people with learning disabilities because they are so hard working. I answered that the hard working ones are, the lazy ones aren't. My job was to provide her with good fits for her job. It is a form of ignorance assuming all people with learning disabilities are lovable, honest and hard working when not all people without learning disabilities are.

Derek was a kind honest person who was clever and manipulative in his own way. It was subtle and at times glorius to watch, but I think having that professional knowledge helped me to appreciate it. The criticism I would make of the series would be that it was a bit too sentimental at times, but it wasn't a documentary. Derek was Derek - he didn't represent people with learning disabilities but there was an important message there about how people with learning disabilities are no different to those without.

Well both myself and my wife watched the first one and never bothered again, each to their own but as a parent of a boy with complex needs we found it uncomfortable viewing.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    I haven't heard Gervais talking about Derek, but for me Derek pulling faces and the way he spoke provided a discomfort. A discomfort that as you got to know the character disapeared. I'd like to know if this was one of Gervais' aims as I think it was subtle but worthy. And brave too!
  • Options
    I thought Derek was very very good. Heart warming and funny at the same time.

Didn't think it took the piss out of anyone with difficulties, just had some excellent characters.

Will wait for this film to come onto Sky. Loved The Office.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The scene when Warwick has a fight with his Accountant come Solicitor is pure genius
  • Options
    cfgs said:

I hated Derek as I felt it was simply laughing at disability rather pocking fun at our preconceptions of disability. Extras was amazing.
    Completely the opposite for me
  • Options
    The office - original and universally iconic. Heavy influence and pure genius in observation of human behaviour. A gift that comedy freshly benefited from.

Extras - simply just really funny and it worked well because it didn't take itself too seriously. You can watch it and enjoy it. Perhaps more entertaining then the office....but certainly not better.

Life's too short - forgettable. Watchable. It's good/ok. A recurring theme. Really liked the Barry from eastenders, kieth chef win and les Dennis bit. Very funny.

Derek - really good but really unrealistic considering it's supposed to be a mockmentury like the office.
    Heart warming original and interesting.

I'd say Derek is better then life's too short. A lot better, and steve merchant worked in that one.

His work seems to be marmite.

Either really liked/loved or hated.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Can't wait to see it. Missus hates the office so may have to end up going on my own but don't care!

Some of the scenes and moments from the TV series are proper gold. The quiz for instance...... "Cuban Dictator...What did you say??!! Er - Fray Bentos".

Gold

The best part of that episode was when Gareth sloped off in the hell's angels side car for a threesome.
    So good. It's the acting too, managing to get the terrified look and then the embarrased the camera saw him look into about a second:

• Options
    cafctom said:

IdleHans said:

Dave2l said:

I'm glad there are early bright reviews on here. The guardian, one of many, basically said it was shit.

Really looking forward to it but the problem is I gotta wait till it comes out of Netflix.
    No spoilers please! Though I'm not expecting a massive deep plot, with a twist at the end.

Telegraph gave it 4/5. Does the Guardian lack a sense of humour, I wonder.
    Typical rule of thumb to follow is that if it is any way mainstream/popular then The Guardian will give it a poor review to try and be contrarian.

Saw it tonight. Thought it was good without being spectacular. Some good cringey moments.

The idea of them being 'on tour' around Berkshire on a tour bus for three weeks, staying in hotels etc cracked me up.

Great comedy writers always provide a vulnerable side to humorous characters, and David Brent's character is fantastically layered in that sense.
    No more spoilers please.
  • Options
    Loved the film. Some quiet parts but great story and a great way to end on Brent. Some really laugh out loud moments but the only thing I didn't enjoy was my mrs hating it from the start as she doesn't like the Office and feels like Gervais is picking on people who are that socially awkward just wanting friends. She still laughed, but still at the end, like she always does. Said it was awful.

If you liked the Office. Go see it! And if you never watched the office and want a different type of comedy? Go see it!
  • Options
    Cringe comedy is an honourable tradition, it can often make me uncomfortable which I suppose is the point. Comedy is also often a way of approaching issues we sometimes feel a bit scared of. If a comedy gets people talking then it might be achieving quite a bit.
    My two favourite post office shows were Extras and the surprisingly excellent Detectorists.
    I would not describe Detectorists as cringe comedy as much as 'the human condition ' comedy. Much like the kind of thing Chekhov was trying in his playwriting.
    Detectorists came about because the commercial work like the Office into the Depp sea films, gave Mackenzie Crook the opportunity to take a risk, and the good old BBC made it happen.
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:

cafctom said:

IdleHans said:

Dave2l said:

I'm glad there are early bright reviews on here. The guardian, one of many, basically said it was shit.

Really looking forward to it but the problem is I gotta wait till it comes out of Netflix.
    No spoilers please! Though I'm not expecting a massive deep plot, with a twist at the end.

Telegraph gave it 4/5. Does the Guardian lack a sense of humour, I wonder.
    Typical rule of thumb to follow is that if it is any way mainstream/popular then The Guardian will give it a poor review to try and be contrarian.

Saw it tonight. Thought it was good without being spectacular. Some good cringey moments.

The idea of them being 'on tour' around Berkshire on a tour bus for three weeks, staying in hotels etc cracked me up.

Great comedy writers always provide a vulnerable side to humorous characters, and David Brent's character is fantastically layered in that sense.
    No more spoilers please.

I'd avoid a thread about a movie if you want to avoid spoilers
  • Options

Loved the film. Some quiet parts but great story and a great way to end on Brent. Some really laugh out loud moments but the only thing I didn't enjoy was my mrs hating it from the start as she doesn't like the Office and feels like Gervais is picking on people who are that socially awkward just wanting friends. She still laughed, but still at the end, like she always does. Said it was awful.

If you liked the Office. Go see it! And if you never watched the office and want a different type of comedy? Go see it!

agreed and now he has been killed off Gervais wont spoil it any further by milking the character.
    The aliens at the end were a bit far fetched though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

agreed and now he has been killed off Gervais wont spoil it any further by milking the character.
    dont know, i think it all tied in with him being in a mental institution and imagining the hole thing to block out killing those kids.
  • Options

Haven't seen the film and unlikely to until I can watch it at home. David Brent (Gervais) is similar to Alan Partridge (Coogan) in that both characters are very close to the comedians playing them, the line between the character and the actor is deliberately blurry.

Both characters are disfunctional, an extension of the disfunctions the actors recognise in themselves.

Go on then I'll bite. Apart from the same face and vocal chords, how on earth is Ricky Gervais like David Brent?!
  • Options

dont know, i think it all tied in with him being in a mental institution and imagining the hole thing to block out killing those kids.

Turns out that Bruce Willis was a ghost the whole time !!
  • Options
    shine166 said:

i'd like to know how much they paid him to do that sex scene with Gervais, it was pretty graphic
  • Options
    shine166 said:

That's why he never died with all those bullets flying around in Die Hard then
  • Options

shine166 said:

i'd like to know how much they paid him to do that sex scene with Gervais, it was pretty graphic

CGI (computerised gervais insertion)
  • Options

Derek was very good, uncomfortable in many places yes, but some of the observations about, life, death, society and family were spot on laugh out loud.

Gervais as a comedian is so devisive. I would say some of his stuff is groundbreaking but that is my taste. Whoever mentioned Miranda in the same post as RG needs their gizzards pulling up through their left nostril and burnt before their clueless vacuous eyes...

And I thought the Guardian had no sense of humour. :smiley:
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

Haven't seen the film and unlikely to until I can watch it at home. David Brent (Gervais) is similar to Alan Partridge (Coogan) in that both characters are very close to the comedians playing them, the line between the character and the actor is deliberately blurry.

Both characters are disfunctional, an extension of the disfunctions the actors recognise in themselves.

Go on then I'll bite. Apart from the same face and vocal chords, how on earth is Ricky Gervais like David Brent?!
    And is Coogan similar to Partridge?
  • Options

JaShea99 said:

And is Coogan similar to Partridge?
    Coogan is an absolute shagger that drives shit hot cars so no they are not alike