Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Life on the Road: David Brent

124»

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Dave2l said:
    Anyone seen the office recently and somehow feel it is actually a lot more attached to the modern era in comparison to 2001.

It might just be a case that it is such a timeless comedy.

The detail of it is astonishing genius work.

It covers a lot of typical human behaviour in many ways.

The reason why shows like The Office, Only Fools & Horses, Inbetweeners etc are timeless is because they are relatable to the human essence.

Beyond the gags, David Brent portrays someone who deep down wants social affection and to be acknowledged, whilst the people around him are equally as awkward. 

No matter how much the world around us changes, there is a bit of David Brent in all of us somewhere. And it’s for that reason, that deep down we all root for David Brent as one of the ‘good guys’ no matter how cringeworthy or irritating he is.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Dave2l said:
    Anyone seen the office recently and somehow feel it is actually a lot more attached to the modern era in comparison to 2001.

The reason why shows like The Office, Only Fools & Horses, Inbetweeners etc are timeless is because they are relatable to the human essence.

Beyond the gags, David Brent portrays someone who deep down wants social affection and to be acknowledged, whilst the people around him are equally as awkward. 

No matter how much the world around us changes, there is a bit of David Brent in all of us somewhere. And it’s for that reason, that deep down we all root for David Brent as one of the ‘good guys’ no matter how cringeworthy or irritating he is.
    I don’t actually think David Brent is a good guy underneath it all, but the mystery of whether he is or isn’t makes it all the more compelling.

Just finished the US Office again, might restart the UK office again next. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    cafctom said:
    Dave2l said:

I don’t actually think David Brent is a good guy underneath it all, but the mystery of whether he is or isn’t makes it all the more compelling.

He’s someone who lets his insecurities come to the forefront all to often, but deep down all he wants to do is fit in. He doesn’t have ill intentions. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    se9addick said:
    cafctom said:
    Dave2l said:

He’s someone who lets his insecurities come to the forefront all to often, but deep down all he wants to do is fit in. He doesn’t have ill intentions. 
    Exactly there is a good intention in most of what he does its just the execution of it that is the comedy, for me anyway 

He wants to be accepted, to be liked 
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

I'm with you on 'The Office', Dave.

I often stick random episodes of it on, and I simply never tire of it. So well written and so clever. And yes, I agree; it really is reflective of human behaviours and individual needs.

Brent's continued struggles (albeit in a comedic and over-exaggerated style) to find a sense of belonging and high self-esteem, masked by the behaviours he borrows in his efforts to feel included, are indicative of many.

Yeh agree.

The early 00s were also maybe a time period that was easier for a Brent to at least survive the internal faults he may have.

People probably didn't take things as seriously back then.

All he naturally actually has, is just a lack of self awareness. That type of characteristic would be rather unlikely to get you a managers job or push you far in today's Britain.

Although Charlton have enjoyed employing the odd bizarre character.

• Options
    Dave2l said:
    Dave2l said:

I'm with you on 'The Office', Dave.

I often stick random episodes of it on, and I simply never tire of it. So well written and so clever. And yes, I agree; it really is reflective of human behaviours and individual needs.

Brent's continued struggles (albeit in a comedic and over-exaggerated style) to find a sense of belonging and high self-esteem, masked by the behaviours he borrows in his efforts to feel included, are indicative of many.

Yeh agree.

The early 00s were also maybe a time period that was easier for a Brent to at least survive the internal faults he may have.

People probably didn't take things as seriously back then.

All he naturally actually has, is just a lack of self awareness. That type of characteristic would be rather unlikely to get you a managers job or push you far in today's Britain.

Although Charlton have enjoyed employing the odd bizarre character.

They captured it in the film 

"People were nicer then" 
  • Options
    The Office, especially series 1, was a work of genius.  In football terms,  this film is conference to the original’s champions league 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    The Office, especially series 1, was a work of genius.  In football terms,  this film is conference to the original’s champions league 

It's still a really good film and it covers a lot. Has a lot of funny bits. The folks in the band were good at playing their parts.

It just completely lacked any form of natural rythem via being a mock-umentory. Didn't have anywhere near the amount of depth the office did.

It was more just Ricky Gervais trying to get his point across and highlighting specific behavioural patterns in people. It was a bit too staged.

Still really like the film and enjoy giving it a watch.

Ricky Gervais is a genius but for him to go the extra mile in his work, he does require a writing partner.

Brian Clough was a lot better with his assistant to the regional manager
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    wmcf123 said:

It's still a really good film and it covers a lot. Has a lot of funny bits. The folks in the band were good at playing their parts.

It just completely lacked any form of natural rythem via being a mock-umentory. Didn't have anywhere near the amount of depth the office did.

It was more just Ricky Gervais trying to get his point across and highlighting specific behavioural patterns in people. It was a bit too staged.

Ricky Gervais is a genius but for him to go the extra mile in his work, he does require a writing partner.

It all came down to that bit where he was doing a talking head and says "I know me and this lot aren't probably going to get famous and have a hit and I can live with that, I couldn't live without trying though" 

And for all the genuinely funny misappropriated songs and social awkwardness that is David Brent summed up. 

A genuinely good bloke trying to be better even if its an awful financial disaster and general bad idea, he's trying and striving for something

The character Andy Millman was the same just less socially awkward 
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    wmcf123 said:

After watching Hello Ladies it appears his writing partner Stephen Merchant might be responsible for a lot of the cringe.