Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Life on the Road: David Brent

Comments

• Options
    If you like jokes about Chinese people , calling a black guy a N##### and mocking disabled people then this film will be right up your street!
  • Options

If you like jokes about Chinese people , calling a black guy a N##### and mocking disabled people then this film will be right up your street!

Christ! Did Peter Kay co-write it?
  • Options

Let's hope Seth doesn't go to see it. The poor chap may go into meltdown.
  • Options
    Tee fecking Hee.
  • Options

JaShea99 said:

Haven't seen the film and unlikely to until I can watch it at home. David Brent (Gervais) is similar to Alan Partridge (Coogan) in that both characters are very close to the comedians playing them, the line between the character and the actor is deliberately blurry.

Both characters are disfunctional, an extension of the disfunctions the actors recognise in themselves.

Go on then I'll bite. Apart from the same face and vocal chords, how on earth is Ricky Gervais like David Brent?!
    And is Coogan similar to Partridge?
    I'm not familiar enough with either to know.
  • Options
    I was thinking of this and also other interviews with Coogan where he has talked about how Partridge is to a large extent based on himself but slightly removed....

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/aug/01/steve-coogan-alan-partridge-alpha-papa

Probably less the case with Gervais and Brent who is, as all characters are to some extent, an extension of Gervais but maybe a bit less close.

I think I read him say that Brent is all about white middle aged angst. That is Gervais as well.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/901362

• Options
    Still cracking up at some of those song lyrics
  • Options

Haven't seen the film and unlikely to until I can watch it at home. David Brent (Gervais) is similar to Alan Partridge (Coogan) in that both characters are very close to the comedians playing them, the line between the character and the actor is deliberately blurry.

Both characters are disfunctional, an extension of the disfunctions the actors recognise in themselves.

Interesting that you make that comparison. A bloke I worked with knew Coogan quite well and another friend met him at an event, and both say he is a total arsehole, yet Partridge is such a brilliant comedy creation. I instinctively feel a dislike for Ricky Gervais, but there is no denying that David Brent is in the Partridge league.
  • Options
    Uboat said:

Interesting that you make that comparison. A bloke I worked with knew Coogan quite well and another friend met him at an event, and both say he is a total arsehole, yet Partridge is such a brilliant comedy creation. I instinctively feel a dislike for Ricky Gervais, but there is no denying that David Brent is in the Partridge league.
    I think Coogan is quite guarded given the fanatical following AP has. I'm not excusing his behaviour in front of your work colleague, I can quite imagine him being like that. But I bet he gets people quoting Partridge at him all the time. I'd find it hard to resist given I think I know the lines to pretty much every episode. He must get pelted with it
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dave2l said:

The office - original and universally iconic. Heavy influence and pure genius in observation of human behaviour. A gift that comedy freshly benefited from.

Extras - simply just really funny and it worked well because it didn't take itself too seriously. You can watch it and enjoy it. Perhaps more entertaining then the office....but certainly not better.

Life's too short - forgettable. Watchable. It's good/ok. A recurring theme. Really liked the Barry from eastenders, kieth chef win and les Dennis bit. Very funny.

Derek - really good but really unrealistic considering it's supposed to be a mockmentury like the office.
    Heart warming original and interesting.

I'd say Derek is better then life's too short. A lot better, and steve merchant worked in that one.

His work seems to be marmite.

Either really liked/loved or hated.

My view also. Want to see the film.
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:

cafctom said:

IdleHans said:

Dave2l said:

I'm glad there are early bright reviews on here. The guardian, one of many, basically said it was shit.

Really looking forward to it but the problem is I gotta wait till it comes out of Netflix.
    No spoilers please! Though I'm not expecting a massive deep plot, with a twist at the end.

Telegraph gave it 4/5. Does the Guardian lack a sense of humour, I wonder.
    Typical rule of thumb to follow is that if it is any way mainstream/popular then The Guardian will give it a poor review to try and be contrarian.

Saw it tonight. Thought it was good without being spectacular. Some good cringey moments.

The idea of them being 'on tour' around Berkshire on a tour bus for three weeks, staying in hotels etc cracked me up.

Great comedy writers always provide a vulnerable side to humorous characters, and David Brent's character is fantastically layered in that sense.
    No more spoilers please.
    Or, how about this for an idea? You don't read the thread until you've seen the film? I know, absolutely priceless piece of advice.
  • Options
    You'll never guess what happens at the end of Finding Dory.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

You'll never guess what happens at the end of Finding Dory.

Nemo rapes her?
  • Options
    Ricky Gervis did that sketch showing up the hard sell Charity appeals.
    When multi millions "Celebs" try to make people feel guilty if they don't send money to every cause going.
    I find Ricky funny and loved the Office and Extras.

Really look forward to seeing this plus my daughter did a couple of days
    work on this film. She said when he went from being David Brent to the director, you could hear a pin drop and then he would do that crazy laugh and everyone would crack up.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Saga Lout said:

cafctom said:

IdleHans said:

Dave2l said:

I'm glad there are early bright reviews on here. The guardian, one of many, basically said it was shit.

Really looking forward to it but the problem is I gotta wait till it comes out of Netflix.
    No spoilers please! Though I'm not expecting a massive deep plot, with a twist at the end.

Typical rule of thumb to follow is that if it is any way mainstream/popular then The Guardian will give it a poor review to try and be contrarian.

Saw it tonight. Thought it was good without being spectacular. Some good cringey moments.

The idea of them being 'on tour' around Berkshire on a tour bus for three weeks, staying in hotels etc cracked me up.

Great comedy writers always provide a vulnerable side to humorous characters, and David Brent's character is fantastically layered in that sense.
    No more spoilers please.
    Or, how about this for an idea? You don't read the thread until you've seen the film? I know, absolutely priceless piece of advice.
    You are a genius Baz.
  • Options
    Saw it last night. Loved it

I don't think you need to have watched the original series of the office to enjoy it, couple of really, stupidly funny moments and some quite touching parts too
  • Options
    I went and watched it the other day.

Enjoyed it but some bits was cringe to watch you end up feeling really sorry for Brent.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saga Lout said:

Saga Lout said:

cafctom said:

IdleHans said:

Dave2l said:

No more spoilers please.
    You are a genius Baz.
    Let it go mate! It'll only spoil your fun and you'll regret not accepting the gratis advice! :smile:
  • Options
    I went to see this last night, very un PC but right up my street.

Literally had no expectations, probably only seen a couple of episodes of the Office so was unsure whether it would be my sort of thing. Funny throughout, if the Office is anything along the same lines i will buy it and watch it?
  • Options

Literally had no expectations, probably only seen a couple of episodes of the Office so was unsure whether it would be my sort of thing. Funny throughout, if the Office is anything along the same lines i will buy it and watch it?

Haven't seen the film yet, but the office is genius. I recommend you go and buy it.
  • Options
    Thank you @Brendan_O_Connell i think i shall do
  • Options
    Yep, if you liked the film you're in for a treat with the Office.
  • Options

Haven't seen the film yet, but the office is genius. I recommend you go and buy it.
    100% this - you'll love it if you love the film
  • Options
    Ordered :)
  • Options
    Huge Office fan but just saw the film and was disappointed.

Might not have helped that it was a near empty cinema but no huge laughs at all for me - a few funny bits but didn't really have me howling.
  • Options
    Anyone seen the office recently and somehow feel it is actually a lot more attached to the modern era in comparison to 2001.

It might just be a case that it is such a timeless comedy.

The detail of it is astonishing genius work.

It covers a lot of typical human behaviour in many ways.

• Options
    Dave2l said:
    Anyone seen the office recently and somehow feel it is actually a lot more attached to the modern era in comparison to 2001.

It might just be a case that it is such a timeless comedy.

The detail of it is astonishing genius work.

It covers a lot of typical human behaviour in many ways.

I'm with you on 'The Office', Dave.

I often stick random episodes of it on, and I simply never tire of it. So well written and so clever. And yes, I agree; it really is reflective of human behaviours and individual needs.

Brent's continued struggles (albeit in a comedic and over-exaggerated style) to find a sense of belonging and high self-esteem, masked by the behaviours he borrows in his efforts to feel included, are indicative of many.