Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Arsenal

Comments

• Options
    I’m looking forward to the classic “this group of players are too good to go down” next season ala that great (aka shit) West Ham team! Bloody Woolwich Rejects!
  • Options
    arsenal not getting European football ( which is looking likely - as there a team of losers who wont win the Europa )
    west ham or palace could go down, admittedly the latter would be preferable if i cant have both.
  • Options

arsenal not getting European football ( which is looking likely - as there a team of losers who wont win the Europa )
    west ham or palace could go down, admittedly the latter would be preferable if i cant have both.

I think they're guaranteed Europa League football because they were runners up to Man City in the league cup
  • Options

I think they're guaranteed Europa League football because they were runners up to Man City in the league cup
    This.
  • Options

I know FA Cup runners-up used to get the spot in the Cup-Winners' Cup but do runners-up still get the European spot these days? I thought they now reverted to the next spot in the Premier League.

(Before anyone shoots me down I don't know for certain!)
  • Options
    only downside to this is that it makes spurs fans happy
  • Options

bollocks thats a shame, altough when other clubs get it im sure its labelled as a "tin pot" trophy
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

When my mate told me the score, I realised, Arsenal are no longer underachieving. They’re doing exactly what I expect of them!

I know FA Cup runners-up used to get the spot in the Cup-Winners' Cup but do runners-up still get the European spot these days? I thought they now reverted to the next spot in the Premier League.

From memory, I think the league cup.place goes back to the premiership if the winners qualify for Europe via another route
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Man City won the League Cup so have taken one of the Qualifying spots for the Europa League...

Runner-Ups dont take that spot (what with Man City being in the Champions League next season).

Means that instead of the Europa League Qualifiers being: 5th | League Cup Winners | FA Cup Winners it becomes... 5th | 6th | FA Cup Winners

Also means that if Burnley can hold 7th with Man Utd or Chelsea winning the FA Cup, they'll be in Europe next season themselves
  • Options

Pretty sure that's the case. I don't think the League cup losers have qualified for a long time, if ever
  • Options
    Just looked on Wikipedia ...

Last year Man Utd beat Southampton in the final but, having already qualified for the Champions' (sic) League the Europa League spot passed to highest-placed Premier League team who had not already qualified for Europe, which was seventh-placed Everton (and didn't they make a great fist of it).

Conclusion: no European footy for Arsenal next year ... yet.
  • Options
    Other than the teams we have to hate (Millwall & Palace) Arsenal are the club i hate the most
  • Options
    actually didnt millwall get through for being runners up in the fa not the league cup
  • Options
    Yes they did.
  • Options
    Yeah they changed the rules a few years ago so that FA Cup Runners Up dont get a place
  • Options

bollocks thats a shame, altough when other clubs get it im sure its labelled as a "tin pot" trophy
    They used to sing, “Thursday night, channel 5” to Spurs or any other team qualifying for the Europa cup. I enjoyed reminding my arsenal supporting mate from deepest Maidstone.
  • Options
    I know Wenger is an intelligent man but wtf was that quote about the trousers all about
  • Options

What language is that turnip speaking?
    No idea, but could be the new Saint and Greavsie on channel 5
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I look at Wenger now at his body language on the touchline and in interviews and I am seriously starting to worry for his own health. It cannot be good for either his heart rate or blood pressure and for a man his age in his late 60s (in such a high pressure stress situation) it cannot be very good for him at all.
  • Options

I look at Wenger now at his body language on the touchline and in interviews and I am seriously starting to worry for his own health. It cannot be good for either his heart rate or blood pressure and for a man his age in his late 60s (in such a high pressure stress situation) it cannot be very good for him at all.

And then he reflects on his 9mil annual salary whilst sitting in his North London mansion, drinking his favourite bottle of Bordeaux and all suddenly feels rosy again!

No sympathy for him at all. He's minted and he's allowed himself to become an arrogant autocrat at that club. If he doesn't feel well or is stressed out he can just walk away and retire to his Château in the Loire Valley!

• Options

Yeah they changed the rules a few years ago so that FA Cup Runners Up dont get a place

that seems ridiculous as i rate the fa higher than the league cup
  • Options

That works in the FA Cup but I think it means an extra league place if the winners of the League Cup win the title.
  • Options

And then he reflects on his 9mil annual salary whilst sitting in his North London mansion, drinking his favourite bottle of Bordeaux and all suddenly feels rosy again!

No sympathy for him at all. He's minted and he's allowed himself to become an arrogant autocrat at that club. If he doesn't feel well or is stressed out he can just walk away and retire to his Château in the Loire Valley!

I regret selling that to him now....
  • Options

I regret selling that to him now....
    Is that really his gaff?

He looks like he’s living like the king of France, no wonder he won’t go quietly!
  • Options

actually didnt millwall get through for being runners up in the fa not the league cup

Yes, the season we came 7th in the prem, if the current rules applied then, I think we would have qualified for the uefa cup, possibly
  • Options

Yes, the season we came 7th in the prem, if the current rules applied then, I think we would have qualified for the uefa cup, possibly
    Not quite.

Arsenal (unbeaten champs), Chelsea, Man Utd, and Liverpool qualified for the Champions' (sic) League.

The UEFA Cup qualifiers were Newcastle (fifth in the league), Boro (League Cup winners), and the Spanners (FA Cup runners-up having lost to the first decent team they'd face in the comp, Man U).

If the FA Cup place had reverted to the league it would have gone to sixth-placed Villa ahead of us.