Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

US Open (Tennis)

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2016
    7-6 wawrinka
  • Options
    Bollocks

Stan serving for the set.....Evans saves!

8-8
  • Options
    Wawrinka wins the set. Amazing 2nd serve ace
  • Options
    I doff my hat. Unbelievable performance, but I'm absolutely knackered. I'm going to miss the end of a classic.
  • Options
    3-0 in final set to Wawrinka

Evans is spent sadly
  • Options
    Can I put Swiss tennis players into Room 101?
  • Options
    4-2 Evans got a break back

Siege mentality - Evans wanted a medical break and it was refused. He got shouty about it and it seems to have reinvigorated him a bit
  • Options
    Scratch that - wawrinka breaks agin

5-2
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    All over

Fair play to both of them but Stan the man has too much
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited September 2016
    Evans was very good throughout match. I had to blink to check that it was a British tennis playing so well as it a very long time since Britain had 3 decent male tennis players.

Wawarinka really showed a lot of bottle. No player that gets to no 3 or 4 in the world gets there without some grit. The second serve ace in the second tie break at 8-8 shows some real guts. Evans can be proud of the way he played. It is good for Murray that Wawarinka has played a long match as I think, Wawarinka is in the same half of the draw. Murray made hard work of his game, wanting to rush point and end them quickly instead of needing to be patient against the Italian player. Maybe, a sign that Murray is getting a bit tired, what with the Olympics, Davis Cup and WImbledon played. Also sign of a champion to win when not playing that well.

Kyle Edmonds played brilliantly to beat Isner and I can see him giving Djokovic a good game, who has had 2 lucky byes into the 4th round. Evans game possibly the classic game of the US open so far. It is great to see some other British players with some grit & solid games alongside Murray. That looks good for the Davis cup, as Del Porto is playing well and will challenge Murray strongly in the semi finals here (if both reach) and in Davis cup on the 16th Sept in a couple of weeks time. Well done to all the British players at the US Open, including Konte, its been an enjoyable first week of tennis so far.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Has anyone else been taking note of how many withdrawals through injury there have been? Djokovic has only had to play one match and he's in the 4th round! I still think Murray is favourite, just.
    With the way British sport is at present, excluding football, what are the odds on both men's/woman's singles winners being British?
  • Options
    andyg90 said:

Has anyone else been taking note of how many withdrawals through injury there have been? Djokovic has only had to play one match and he's in the 4th round! I still think Murray is favourite, just.
    With the way British sport is at present, excluding football, what are the odds on both men's/woman's singles winners being British?

I think the summer programme really takes it out on the players by this stage
  • Options
    I don't understand this whole Murray as favourite thing. Djok has had 2 early baths, but after 2 or 3 years of being almost unbeatable. Nadal is back looking almost as good as ever.
  • Options

andyg90 said:

I think the summer programme really takes it out on the players by this stage
    I went to O2 for the finals and the players all looked a bit cream crackered. It is a long season and a lot of events.

It is really hot and humid in New York. Murray looks good (not so much yesterday, but other rounds) but fatigue may be one of the things that may hinder him. It is a open competition with Nadal, Warwarinka, Potro and Djokovic still with chances.

Schedule

Konta vs Sevatsova 4pm
    Monfils vs Baghditis 4pm
    Tsonga vs Sock 5.30pm
    Nadal vs Pouille 7.30pm

Edmonds vs Djokovich 1.30am

Evans / Kyrigios vs Kubot / Patya - 7.30pm - Evans said post match that he may not play this one.

Good luck to Kyle Edmonds.
  • Options
    Nadal is out.
  • Options

Nadal is out.

just watched it, good game. A shock but couldn't see Nadal being a major threat to Murray or Novak anyway.
  • Options
    I have said all along that Nadal's best days are behind him.
  • Options

yeah he's well on the way out now. Shame as a great player at his prime, albeit mainly on the one surface.
  • Options

yeah he's well on the way out now. Shame as a great player at his prime, albeit mainly on the one surface.
    Of course 9 French Opens on clay clearly says what his favourite surface was - but he's also won 2 US (hard) and 1 Australian (hard) plus of course two Wimbledons. So it's not as if he couldn't play on anything buy clay!

One of the top five of all time.
  • Options
    Still a cheat though
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2016
    bobmunro said:

Of course 9 French Opens on clay clearly says what his favourite surface was - but he's also won 2 US (hard) and 1 Australian (hard) plus of course two Wimbledons. So it's not as if he couldn't play on anything buy clay!

never said he couldn't play on any of the others? I stated he was a great player, merely adding the fact that most of his success was on his favoured surface.
  • Options

Still a cheat though

Who?
  • Options
    Time waster Nadal
  • Options

bobmunro said:

never said he couldn't play on any of the others? I stated he was a great player, merely adding the fact that most of his success was on his favoured surface.
    Never said you did - and my opening line agrees with you.
  • Options
    I think, but for injuries, Nadal may well have won a few of Federer's slams. There was a time he seemed to have his number rather like Djokovic with Murray now.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

I think, but for injuries, Nadal may well have won a few of Federer's slams. There was a time he seemed to have his number rather like Djokovic with Murray now.

Agree... I think that on his day Nadal was the best ever. His days dodnt last as long as Federer who I think deserves the "greatest" tag, certainly of the modern era. Djokovic will come close.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

LenGlover said:

Agree... I think that on his day Nadal was the best ever. His days dodnt last as long as Federer who I think deserves the "greatest" tag, certainly of the modern era. Djokovic will come close.
    Isn't it amazing that arguably the three best ever mens tennis players were all playing at roughly the same time.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

McBobbin said:

LenGlover said:

Isn't it amazing that arguably the three best ever mens tennis players were all playing at roughly the same time.
    Yeah, and I reckon their competition pushed them to even greater heights. That Wimbledon final between nadal and Federer in the dark might possibly have been the greatest sporting battle I've ever witnessed.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

McBobbin said:

LenGlover said:

It's hard to compare eras though, without the enormous and super strong rackets players now have, Nadal would never have been able to impart his lethal spin , while the enormous ground strokes and passing shots modern players have would have easily have been picked off at the net.
  • Options
    Bjorn Borg won eleven majors I think, if I'm wrong I'm sure I'll be corrected.
    He retired at 26 had he continued playing i believe he would be right up there