Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

US Open (Tennis)

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2016

The Paradox for me with Murray is, he was saying how he loves the raucous
    atmosphere of New York in the rounds when he was Kicking butt, but when the games against Nishikori got close he was distracted by everything.
    I have been on the roller coast ride with Andy since he beat Roddick 11 years ago. This defeat did surprise me because he grabbed defeat from the Jaws of victory.
    When he retires we will realise how great he is when the next generation reach the odd quarter final, once in a blue moon.

Hopefully Kyle Edmund is going to be the next Andy Murray rather than Tim Henman
    If he does as well as Henman and reaches Semi finals of Grand Slams and as high as 4 in the world he would have done very well with Dominic Theim at 23 and Alexander Zverev the Wunderkind who is already in the Mens top 50 at the tender age of 19.
  • Options
    Or will Kyle be the new John Lloyd or Jeremy Bates?
    I suspect Henman and Murray are the exceptions rather than the rule.
    Hope I'm wrong

• Options

Hope I'm wrong

Henman was such a disappointment because, at his very best, he was good enough to win a Slam, but could never quite string together two weeks of top performances at the right time. If it had just stayed dry or he hadn't lost his mojo after the rain break vs Goran, he may well have been Britain's first mens Wimbledon champion since Perry. Instead he is, very harshly, a bit of a joke figure. I doubt the Japanese laugh at Nishikori like we do at Henman, even though he is probably a similar level within the current ranks to that of Henman in his days.

The likes of Jeremy bates were just flat out no hopers. I suspect Edmund will end up somewhere between the two. Looks like a, reasonably, regular 3rd round to qtr finals type of player to me.
  • Options
    Absolute toilet performance so far from Monfils. Rightly booed by the crowd here.
  • Options

Hope I'm wrong

Henman was such a disappointment because, at his very best, he was good enough to win a Slam, but could never quite string together two weeks of top performances at the right time. If it had just stayed dry or he hadn't lost his mojo after the rain break vs Goran, he may well have been Britain's first mens Wimbledon champion since Perry. Instead he is, very harshly, a bit of a joke figure. I doubt the Japanese laugh at Nishikori like we do at Henman, even though he is probably a similar level within the current ranks to that of Henman in his days.

The likes of Jeremy bates were just flat out no hopers. I suspect Edmund will end up somewhere between the two. Looks like a, reasonably, regular 3rd round to qtr finals type of player to me.
    Hen an just didn't have enough power to his game as tennis evolved, maybe if he had been around 10 years earlier he might have won Wimbledon
  • Options
    edited September 2016

Hope I'm wrong

Hen an just didn't have enough power to his game as tennis evolved, maybe if he had been around 10 years earlier he might have won Wimbledon
    Grass was always his best chance for sure, though in true British style, just when we had a serve-volleyer that might be good enough to win Wimbledon, they started changing to courts to better favour the baseliners. 6 career grand slam semi finals though show he got close often enough for it not to be a fluke like Rusedski making the US open final that time.
  • Options

Hope I'm wrong

I think Henman over achieved throughout his career. He didn't have a world class ground shot or serve but mixed it with the best for a decade. I'm not his biggest fan but I admire his toughness.
  • Options

Hope I'm wrong

I think Henman over achieved throughout his career. He didn't have a world class ground shot or serve but mixed it with the best for a decade. I'm not his biggest fan but I admire his toughness.
    Yes, it's unfair when people say he didn't win Majors because he was too nice or too middle class, he made the most of his talents. As it turns out, he had one golden chance to win Wimbledon and it didn't happen for him...
  • Options
    Has anyone ever had an easier path to a major final than Djokovic in this tournament?

1 walkover, 2 retirements, played a total of 13.5 sets.

Compared to Wawrinka who's played 23 sets and spent more time on court than anyone in the torunament
  • Options
    edited September 2016

Has anyone ever had an easier path to a major final than Djokovic in this tournament?

1 walkover, 2 retirements, played a total of 13.5 sets.

Compared to Wawrinka who's played 23 sets and spent more time on court than anyone in the torunament

Depends on what you define as easy I guess, in terms of sets yes I think he is, but then at least he's played a couple of top 10 players along the way (though only half of the game v Tsonga!) whereas others in the past have had draws really open up and not play anyone of note.

Only example I can think of off the top of my head is Mal Washington at Wimbledon 1996 when he only played one seed in Todd Martin, and basically Todd Martin choked and threw it away.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Murray wins!!!

Jamie that is, a second grand slam title of the year, it's as if the Murray brothers alternate who wins, and who crashes out :-)
    Andy in Winbledon and the Olympics
    Jamie in Australia and the US
  • Options
    Decent women's final yesterday, so far a good men's final
  • Options
    Hoping Wawrinka can do it but think Djokovic will win.
  • Options
    Never appreciated what a good player Warinka is.
  • Options
    It is now! Sheesh.
  • Options
    That was a staggering performance, some of the highest-level sport I've seen
  • Options
    Equals Murray (britains greatest sportsman according to some) with three slams.

Three finals three wins - Stan has got to feel unlucky that he plays in the sports greatest era. Imagine how many slams Stan could have won if not for Roger Novak and Rafa....
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Three finals three wins - Stan has got to feel unlucky that he plays in the sports greatest era. Imagine how many slams Stan could have won if not for Roger Novak and Rafa....

Murray = 3 Grand Slams / 1 Davis Cup / 2 Olympic Gold Medals / 1 Olympic Doubles Silver Medal
    Wawrinka = 3 Grand Slams / 1 Davis Cup / 1 Olympic Doubles Gold Medal

Both have extremely similar records and believe the gap is closer between Murray / Wawrinka than Djokovic / Murray... At the same time Andy isnt our Greatest EVER Sportsman but he is our Greatest in the last couple of decades.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Three slams at three different venues. He just needs Wimbledon for a career Grand Slam.
  • Options
    On another note its mental that Wawrinka is two years older than Murray and Djokovic

Surely those two have been around for a lot longer than Stan!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2016
    MrOneLung said:

I'm not so sure he'd have a load more - he's been a bit of a late bloomer in upping his game from a top ten player (Ferrer sort of level) to a Grand Slam winner.

His two finals v Djokovic have been stunningly good performances.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Wawrinka has been doing the circuit for many years. Just never broke the top 10 until more recently than the other guys.

His Grand Slam record was three QF appearances prior to US Open 2013. He was a consistent third or fourth rounder from 2005 but only kicked on in the last three years.
  • Options

And to think Dan Evans very nearly beat him. Evans should take a lot of heart from that.

Yes Stan was lucky to get away with that one, Djokovic had a ridiculous route to the final.

Murray has had a terrific season really. Hopefully now with a little more strength in depth from the British players that next year should be great for everyone
  • Options
    I do think that Murray was physically spent and yes I do think he has been a great sportsman for us - was just comparing the slams total as doubt Stan will be mentioned amongst the greats of this era.

Anyone know how many games the main protagonists have each played this year including Davis Cup and Olympics ?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Anyone know how many games the main protagonists have each played this year including Davis Cup and Olympics ?

I'm guessing you mean Djokovic / Murray / Nadal / Federer / Wawrinka?

Federer v Murray hasnt happened this year, nor has Federer v Nadal, nor has Federer v Wawrinka

Djokovic and Murray have faced each other four times... (Djokovic has won three)
    Nadal and Murray have faced each other twice... (Both won on one occasion)
    Djokovic has played Nadal three times this year winning all of them
    Djokovic has faced Federer just once this year yet won

Murray has faced Wawrinka once this year and won
    Djokovic has faced Wawrinka once this year and lost (Last Night)
    Nadal has faced Wawrinka once this year and won
  • Options
    Sorry FA - might not have been clear.

I meant how many games has each of them played in total this year, not against each other.
  • Options
    Djokovic in his current state of fitness was always vulnerable if facing a true contest. A fresher Murray in the final would have done the same to him surely?

Stan does seem to be a bit of a bogey player for Djokovic though,
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Sorry FA - might not have been clear.

I meant how many games has each of them played in total this year, not against each other.

Wawrinka ... 39-12
    Murray ... 54-8
    Federer ... 21-7
    Djokovic ... 56-6

Interesting as had Murray won just one more of those matches against Djokovic they'd have a joint Win-Loss record this year.
  • Options
    On another note... http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/37336113

Wawrinka, who has now won his past 11 finals.

That is definitely impressive... As Wawrinka says in response to Djokovic's "Big Five" claim... He's not quite there yet as his overall record against the others appears poor in the rounds leading up to a Final yet at the moment Stan is the one person these guys dont seem to want to face if he actually reaches the Final as is really able to step up.

At the same time though I dont think it can be called the Big Four now though because Nadal for me is History

A great Tennis player and he will certainly go down with the greatest yet injuries are just too common now