Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Adam Chicksen - now at Notts County (p5)

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Penalty or free kick taker?
  • Options
    When you're moved from left back to right wing, Maatsen style?
  • Options
    Penalty or free kick taker?
    No pens. Don't know about free kicks.
  • Options
    Seek and you shall find

Adam Chicksen has pinpointed going straight back to the gym following Notts County's play-off semi-final defeat to Grimsby Town as a key factor in his rich vein of goalscoring form this season.

The Zimbabwean scored twice in the Magpies' emphatic 6-1 victory against Wealdstone on Tuesday evening, producing two wonderful finishes in the first half as Luke Williams' side cruised to victory at Grosvenor Vale.

It is the 31-year-old's best scoring season in the entirety of his professional career, netting his fourth and fifth goals of the National League campaign as Notts scored six away from home for the first time since 1924.

And speaking after the game, Chicksen revealed the hard work for the 2022/23 campaign started the day after the play-off heartbreak against the Mariners last season, explaining the goals he has scored this season come as no surprise given the work put in during the off-season.

"I have put in a lot of hard work during the off-season, probably more than I have ever done," explained Chicksen.

"It is no surprise for me the way I have started the season, and it's paying off.

"I went back to what I have done in the past and put in that extra work. I got back to the basics, went straight back to the gym after the Grimsby game the next day, and the hard work started from there.

"As you get older, the seasons become more valuable and for me I don't want to waste a day, so every time I go about my work in the same way, whether it be day to day or during the off-season."

Both of Chicksen's strikes on Tuesday night were similar in positioning and precision, striking both of his efforts pure from the left-hand side, giving Wealdstone keeper Samuel Howes absolutely no chance.

And the Zimbabwean revealed that failing to score in the game against Maidstone last Friday evening ate him up after he missed a glorious opportunity in the first half, finding the side-netting from close range.

But the 31-year-old revealed that the best way to rectify that was back out on the pitch, more than making up for those missed opportunities at Meadow Lane.

"Yeah, it's two great strikes obviously the last game it ate me up for a couple of hours and a couple of hours after the game, but the best way to rectify that is back on the pitch and putting them in the net."

• Options
    Leuth said:
    When you play League football your whole career then drop into the National League, things get a bit easier?
    You mean like all those championship players we have had that drop down and rip up league 1? 

There isn't that much difference between midtable League 1 and the top of the national league.  Comparatively. 

Certainly not as much difference as mid table Premier league to top level league 1, which in theory is the same difference in levels.

I think people confuse "found his level" with "found his role".  Once you go passed the top league 1 players, there aren't many people that can do a job else where.  Fraser is the perfect case study.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    When you play League football your whole career then drop into the National League, things get a bit easier?

Chicksen played at that level in the two previous seasons and scored one goal in 50 appearances. This season he's scored twice as many as Elliot Lee (Notts County) and three times as many as Bromley's Michael Cheek. And they are forwards whereas Chicksen is a full back. Well, as far as I'm aware he still is, which is partly why I posed the original question. 
    Elliot Lee plays for Wrexham.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Leuth said:

Chicksen played at that level in the two previous seasons and scored one goal in 50 appearances. This season he's scored twice as many as Elliot Lee (Notts County) and three times as many as Bromley's Michael Cheek. And they are forwards whereas Chicksen is a full back. Well, as far as I'm aware he still is, which is partly why I posed the original question. 
    Elliot Lee plays for Wrexham.
    Yes. Sorry that's quite correct. Chicksen plays for Notts County.