Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fredrik Ulvestad signs from Burnley (season long loan)

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2016
    I have been impressed with Slade's signings so am optimistic about this one. I'm sure he will have been watched. A box to box player with a good engine and a bit of creativity ticks the boxes in terms of the player we needed. Let's see how he does but I'm happy with this.

And we have to look at the players we thought would go and have stayed. Lookman is the best player at this level by a country mile. He knows about the big club interest and has every incentive to prove it.
  • Options
    He signed for Burnley, a club with a very good manager in Dyce, got to have something about him. Not managed to break through there but that doesn't mean he isn't capable in League One.

He has four seasons of first team experience (smaller league in Norway hence less appearances), which is a lot more than the likes of Ba, Sarr and Ceballos had.

Looking forward to seeing where he fits into the team. More of a gamble than other signings, hopefully it'll pay off.
  • Options
    no exits and a young midfielder in, never going to praise them but not the worst transfer window. at least we haven't got a load of bobby no names in from Belgium. just hope ajose and maggenis dont get injured.
  • Options
    He thinks 'It is a very interesting project you have here'. That's one way of putting it! Only thing I have can add to our knowledge of him is that he is left-handed.
  • Options

no exits and a young midfielder in, never going to praise them but not the worst transfer window. at least we haven't got a load of bobby no names in from Belgium. just hope ajose and maggenis dont get injured.

Don't forget we've still got Lee Novak to come back from his broken hand.

Think he's had an unfortunate start to his career with us and shouldnt be written off yet
  • Options
    Novak will come good :smile:
  • Options

I'm pleased we have Ulvestad here and let's be Frank, it seemed we were running out of options.

Fred not frank...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Seems like a good signing. More astute business from Slade. I'd imagine that, major injuries permitting, our most regular side will end up like: Rudd, Solly, Pearce, Teixeira, Fox; Crofts, Ulvestad, Foley; Lookman, Holmes; Ajose.

With a bench featuring players from Phillips, Konsa, Chicksen, Bauer, Lennon, Jackson, Novak, Magennis, Botaka, Diarra & Kashi (when the latter two are fit), then younger support from KAG, Hanlan, Muldoon, there's a bit of depth now.
  • Options
    If Brussel describes him as a box to box midfielder I imagine Freddie is going to be in the Jordan Cousins mould. No bad thing, although it means we missed out on the elusive creative midfielder we need (alongside Holmes). Welcome to the mad-house Freddie!
  • Options
    I presume no-one watched the now obligatory YouTube film then?

Clearly shows him getting on to the edge of the box regularly, and playing a number of telling forward passes.

I'm not necessarily saying that he will be able to do that regularly in League 1, (the clips seem to relate to his career in Norway) but must be an indicator of the TYPE of player he is...
  • Options

I presume no-one watched the now obligatory YouTube film then?

Clearly shows him getting on to the edge of the box regularly, and playing a number of telling forward passes.

I'm not necessarily saying that he will be able to do that regularly in League 1, (the clips seem to relate to his career in Norway) but must be an indicator of the TYPE of player he is...

Well by definition a "box to box" player is going to turn up on the edge of both boxes ;0)

• Options
    Davo55 said:

If Brussel describes him as a box to box midfielder I imagine Freddie is going to be in the Jordan Cousins mould. No bad thing, although it means we missed out on the elusive creative midfielder we need (alongside Holmes). Welcome to the mad-house Freddie!

Can't really tell from that description. Might have more goals in him, Bailey was a box to box goalscoring midfielder. Might be more creative and technical but weaker defensively than Cousins.
  • Options
    This plan b thing makes me laugh, if Slade wanted a player but couldn't get hold of him then surely you have a back up in waiting, its just logical but i guess lately logic from Charlton is in short supply.
  • Options

I'm just glad he hasn't got a name you can milk a thousand crap puns out of.

But his name is an anagram of Duke fart drivels..............
  • Options
    Splodge said:

Seems like a good signing. More astute business from Slade. I'd imagine that, major injuries permitting, our most regular side will end up like: Rudd, Solly, Pearce, Teixeira, Fox; Crofts, Ulvestad, Foley; Lookman, Holmes; Ajose.

With a bench featuring players from Phillips, Konsa, Chicksen, Bauer, Lennon, Jackson, Novak, Magennis, Botaka, Diarra & Kashi (when the latter two are fit), then younger support from KAG, Hanlan, Muldoon, there's a bit of depth now.

So, poor old Magennis has one average game, and is immediately consigned to the bench?

And Konsa, one of our most consistent performers, in 2 positions, is also sent to get splinters up his ar5e. "Oh, but he is so young", but it's OK for Lookman?

In old fashion terms, is called "being in possession of the shirt". You want to ruin Konsa? Drop him when he's done nothing wrong, and watch him get disillusioned, and want out.

It is up to those players on the bench to oust the starting 11, not the other way round. If Magennis or Konsa were to get injured, then if the players who replace them play as well as they have in the games so far, then they are "in possession of the shirt"...

Yes, I can see Ulvestad replacing Foley, but I think Foley is fully aware that he was brought in as a stop gap, and cover for Solly. (And, I wouldn't mind betting is a great guy to have around at the training ground...)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nothing against this guy, but if that is the sum total of our deadline day signings, when even the liar said we needed two signings, the SMT have fucked it up again.
  • Options
    Texieras agent told a local journal that he will leave, but it looks as if he is better off financially staying.
    In terms of football, in the early pre season the two best players in my view were Tex and Ricky Holmes.
    Like Holmes I believe Tex has a certain pride in his personal performance and wants to maintain a good standard when he plays, so I believe that now, if Slade includes him in stuff, that he will be very good at our new reduced level.
    In my view he is way better than Johnson, although my judgement is tempered by a dislike for Johnson as a footballer and a man.
  • Options

Don't know anything about him but looking at his stats, in his league games for Burnley in a year and a half he never played a full 90 mins, most he ever played was 59 mins in the league last season

And if he had been a regular in a Burnley promotion season we wouldn't have got a sniff, horses for courses.
  • Options
    Obviously want the bloke to well but this just seems like one of our typical signings a player with no experience in english football. A typical desperate signing with the hope we lucky. They will never learn. Roland out
  • Options
    From my Scandi mate's son, who is a regular for footie comment on Norwegian TV:

He was an exciting prospect in the Norwegian league for some years ago. Dynamic midfielder without any real weaknesses. Quite simply a balanced skill registry (if you can say that in English?)

Should be able to do well in League 1, but you shouldn't expect him to either carry the team or dominate the league :-)

• Options
    So what if we have signed him from a English club. He never started a game for them in the championship so his hardly an experienced player in English football. Maybe I am twisting reality but the amount of shit we have signed since they have been here has been a joke so yeah any player they sign with no English experience in gonna be sceptical of.

In fact I think it's worse that he has come on a few times for Burnley. Shows he was a flop. Similar to Bokata at Leeds. I hope I'm wrong and they become amazing players for us so you can shove these words down my throat. Let's wait to the end of season and see.
  • Options
    Nicholas said:

In fact I think it's worse that he has come on a few times for Burnley. Shows he was a flop.

It is never this black and white.

Let's wait and see, agreed.