Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Fredrik Ulvestad signs from Burnley (season long loan)

Comments

• Good luck Fred.
    I am now going to put the puns to bed
  • right age, right size (6 foot tall, YES, I am 'sizeist' when it comes to certain positions), premier and international experience, all good ..
    welcome Fred .. at least now you have a couple of weeks to get the feel of the place and team during this protracted lay off period
  • With Tex, Bauer and Lookman we have three players well beyond this level. We probably have too many centre halfs but hey ho. Clubs don't really want to buy injured players. If the new addition is decent, I think we ought to be one of teh favourites now for automatic.

I am amazed the ownership seem to negotiated a window in what you might call a positive way for a change!.
  • Nicholas said:

So what if we have signed him from a English club. He never started a game for them in the championship so his hardly an experienced player in English football. Maybe I am twisting reality but the amount of shit we have signed since they have been here has been a joke so yeah any player they sign with no English experience in gonna be sceptical of.

In fact I think it's worse that he has come on a few times for Burnley. Shows he was a flop. Similar to Bokata at Leeds. I hope I'm wrong and they become amazing players for us so you can shove these words down my throat. Let's wait to the end of season and see.

Two things really. First he is Norwegian and Scandanavians don't seem to have the bedding in problems that other foreign signings have with British football. Not as significantly anyway.

Secondly he's not just been plucked out of the Norwegian leagues. He's done his groundwork in English football under a very good manager and at a successful club.

Certainly we don't know how he will perform but I think the omens are at least good.
    Yes, Norwegians play a very "British" style game, speak excellent English and are avid followers of English football, and not just the PL! And he's had a year under a very good English manager, so he'll settle in easily.
  • Nicholas said:

So what if we have signed him from a English club. He never started a game for them in the championship so his hardly an experienced player in English football. Maybe I am twisting reality but the amount of shit we have signed since they have been here has been a joke so yeah any player they sign with no English experience in gonna be sceptical of.

In fact I think it's worse that he has come on a few times for Burnley. Shows he was a flop. Similar to Bokata at Leeds. I hope I'm wrong and they become amazing players for us so you can shove these words down my throat. Let's wait to the end of season and see.

Two things really. First he is Norwegian and Scandanavians don't seem to have the bedding in problems that other foreign signings have with British football. Not as significantly anyway.

Secondly he's not just been plucked out of the Norwegian leagues. He's done his groundwork in English football under a very good manager and at a successful club.

Certainly we don't know how he will perform but I think the omens are at least good.
    Yes, Norwegians play a very "British" style game, speak excellent English and are avid followers of English football, and not just the PL! And he's had a year under a very good English manager, so he'll settle in easily.
    Charlton + Scandinavians is the ideal partnership. I even liked Martin Pringle
  • I also asked my Norwegian contact (above) how he assesses current level of Norwegian League.

I think it is absolutely terrible in almost every aspect. It was a little bit better some years ago when Ulvestad was at his best, but unfortunately I really do think the quality right now is probably at an all-time low.
  • Redskin said:

Leuth said:

Nicholas said:

In fact I think it's worse that he has come on a few times for Burnley. Shows he was a flop.

It is never this black and white.

Let's wait and see, agreed.
    This flies in the face of everything Charlton Life stands for.

20,000 members on CL, one person says something and somehow that applies to the whole site. Weird.
  • Nicholas said:

Even if this was absolutely true, (which no one can say unless they saw him play, it shows he was a flop in the CHAMPIONSHIP.

You do know we are playing in a lower league than that this season?
  • Sponsored links:

• Redskin said:

Leuth said:

Nicholas said:

In fact I think it's worse that he has come on a few times for Burnley. Shows he was a flop.

20,000 members on CL, one person says something and somehow that applies to the whole site. Weird.
    Whooosh, as you're so fond of saying yourself.
  • Sounds promising. Think this guy will be useful.

Another loan though but lets not worry about that eh?
  • Leuth said:

Nicholas said:

Obviously want the bloke to well but this just seems like one of our typical signings a player with no experience in english football. A typical desperate signing with the hope we lucky. They will never learn. Roland out

This is just ridiculous. He's been signed FROM an English club (and does English experience really matter? Didn't Leicester win the EPL thanks to signing an unknown French midfielder?). He's a FULL INTERNATIONAL (for a non-joke nation). Aren't ALL signings 'with the hope we lucky'? Haven't we been signing UK players almost exclusively this summer? UK players with experience of English football to boot? I know we all hate Roland yadda yadda but this is plainly ridiculous - you're twisting reality into a warped and ugly stream of bile.
    Where Roland's concerned, the uglier the stream of bile, the better. #RolandOut
  • Splodge said:

Seems like a good signing. More astute business from Slade. I'd imagine that, major injuries permitting, our most regular side will end up like: Rudd, Solly, Pearce, Teixeira, Fox; Crofts, Ulvestad, Foley; Lookman, Holmes; Ajose.

With a bench featuring players from Phillips, Konsa, Chicksen, Bauer, Lennon, Jackson, Novak, Magennis, Botaka, Diarra & Kashi (when the latter two are fit), then younger support from KAG, Hanlan, Muldoon, there's a bit of depth now.

So, poor old Magennis has one average game, and is immediately consigned to the bench?

And Konsa, one of our most consistent performers, in 2 positions, is also sent to get splinters up his ar5e. "Oh, but he is so young", but it's OK for Lookman?

In old fashion terms, is called "being in possession of the shirt". You want to ruin Konsa? Drop him when he's done nothing wrong, and watch him get disillusioned, and want out.

It is up to those players on the bench to oust the starting 11, not the other way round. If Magennis or Konsa were to get injured, then if the players who replace them play as well as they have in the games so far, then they are "in possession of the shirt"...

Yes, I can see Ulvestad replacing Foley, but I think Foley is fully aware that he was brought in as a stop gap, and cover for Solly. (And, I wouldn't mind betting is a great guy to have around at the training ground...)
    No of course I wouldn't drop Konsa. But whether he will make 40 starts is another matter. Let's hope he does. Certainly the players who have the shirt should keep it until they deserve to lose it or get injured/banned/fatigued.

Likewise I don't see Novak and Magennis only starting if Ajose isn't around. It'll vary throughout. I was just trying to emphasise the depth we have. Lookman will also be in and out of the starting XI
  • Doesn't matter if he can pass, what is his squad number???
  • edited September 2016
    http://www.uptheclarets.com/loan-move-to-charlton-for-ulvestad

" I can imagine him standing out at League 1 level "
  • Doesn't matter if he can pass, what is his squad number???

12,17,19,24 all available
  • contrary to a post elsewhere on this thread he is contracted at Burnley till June 2018.
  • Redskin said:

Leuth said:

Nicholas said:

Weird ?

"One person says something" ....... surely you mean unique ?

• Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:

B Saw Ulvestad coming out of the Marriott Bexleyheath this morning. Asked him which foot he preferred.
    Right said Fred.

That was nearly funny. I've supressed a smile....
  • The good news is that he should be right at home, away to Oldham on the freezing evening of Tuesday February 14th.

Oh and before anyone asks how I know it will be freezing. The answer is that it is always freezing at Boundary park.
  • Midfield resources not strengthened after all, Freddy The Viking recruited to paper over the gap left by the departing Alou Diarra. Thems is some big boots to fill.
    Notwithstanding
    Velkommen Fred, may your stay amid Charlton's bright lights and metropolitan sophistication be mutually successful.
  • Oggy Red said:

Took a lot of penalties for his Norwegian club.

The new Yoni Buyens.

I was thinking this too! Passing wise as well, I'm pretty sure that Ajose will love his slide rule passing too
  • I'm. Sorry with another pun but our sponsor won't be happy with this signing! Betfreb

• I suppose we had to wait for Burnley to sign Jeff Hendrick from Derby for £10 mil, before they would let Ulvestad go to Charlton ?

It might explain the 'tricky deal' that we were 'trying to get over the line' at the end of last week.

• I am the only one to wonder if new players excited to be joining a new club research online how thier arrival has been received?

I'd hope it would stoke him up to prove the doubters wrong but let's not put the man down before he's even pulled on the shirt.

I remember when we were excited about signing players that hadn't pulled up trees elsewhere.

I also remember when a certain washed out striker was signed from Leicester. After a short time passed I have extremely fond memories of standing outside the antigallican surrounded by paras and surfs singing "two hundred and two is Kermogant, two hundred and three Is Kermogant.

Occasionally our great club finds a gem.

I'm not saying it has but I remember when we used to hope we had.
  • I think we should play him in the back seat kissing and cuddling with BFG.
  • There's a blast from the past. My uncle had that track in a terrible compilation record that my cousins and I listened to many more times than it deserved.