Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Oldham - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options

Miserable - Again. Last 4 games = 3 points.... From Fleetwood, Wimbledon, Oxford and Oldham.

That's real progress. I can't even be bothered to be bothered anymore.

cheer up mate .. it's only a game .. not a matter of life & death ((:>)
  • Options
    In 56 years I have never left the ground feeling like I did tonight. The worst team I have seen wearing the shirt. I backed us to win this very poor league, I was wrong. As for Slade.......Jesus !!!
  • Options
    and Ajose scored 26 at Swindon. We have over the years generally been too negative and struggle to score enough goals. Why? Who knows? Probably the fans fault.
  • Options
    Lookman for Jackson was a good change. However, this was undermined somewhat by also bringing Foley on, which ended our central midfield as a credible proposition
  • Options
    vff said:

5 to 6,000 in the ground and it is not even cold yet. Poor sounding match and Slade failing to press Charlton forward for the second goal. Though by the sound of it, that sounded beyond the performance in the second half.

An unbalanced, partially completed squad with a poor central midfield combined with an overly defensive manager in Slade is definitely not a good combination.

Was the crowd really that bad??5000?
    In that case will I be OK for a ticket on the day sat?? As don't want to commit as may have to work??
  • Options
    masicat said:

In 56 years I have never left the ground feeling like I did tonight. The worst team I have seen wearing the shirt. I backed us to win this very poor league, I was wrong. As for Slade.......Jesus !!!

my world has fallen apart!
  • Options

and Ajose scored 26 at Swindon. We have over the years generally been too negative and struggle to score enough goals. Why? Who knows? Probably the fans fault.

it is a mystery aint it .. perhaps the Valley need an exorcism .. or has that been tried ?
  • Options

it is a mystery aint it .. perhaps the Valley need an exorcism .. or has that been tried ?
    If it would get rid of Duchatelet and Meire as well as the devil, I would pay personally for the Archbishop of Canterbury to come and do the biz.
  • Options
    I've spent £40 on 2 match day tickets. That's my lot. How much longer are we going to be mugged off by this regime.
    What's the point in supporting this team? May as well cash in on Lookman and Fox come January.
    This season will be long gone by then in any case.
    A grim state of affairs.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2016
    WSS said:
    Good to see the negative and useless Powell back with a win. :)
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

masicat said:

my world has fallen apart!
    Who are you ffs ?
  • Options
    Masicat never wrong was one of life's few certainties...
    Now even that has gone.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Oggy Red said:

Leuth said:

satsuma27 said:

Novak and Maginnis are two big lumps.Maginnis holds the ball up ok and scored a goal.The goal was quality build up play,but that was a very rare event.Novak didn't do much and is lacking in pace,Slade could of changed him at half time,but as he is a safety first kind of manager he didn't. Holmes is a busy player who makes things happen,and Lookman showed glimpses of quality when he came on.The defence looks panicky and the midfield is a gaping hole.The two forwards showed little movement and didn't offer the midfield many options.

Magennis is a great player. Novak is a non-entity.
    Novak scored 15 goals in 35 appearances at Chesterfield last season.

Why can he do it there - but not with Charlton?
    That's the question.

He's already got one for us, a tap-in. I suspect that he rather needs the ball and the goal in close proximity. He has nothing else to his game.
    To be fair, you don't score 15 goals in 35 games just because you got lucky.
    And even a tap-in requires reading the game and moving to be in the right place at the right time - that's often what goal scoring is all about.

We can see Novak is not fitting into the gameplan.
    Magennis is playing Novak's preferred role - and there's not enough movement and creativity from a turgid midfield.

My point is that he comfortably did the business last year, but is looking lost here at Charlton.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Duplicate
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Leuth said:

Oggy Red said:

Leuth said:

satsuma27 said:

Novak and Maginnis are two big lumps.Maginnis holds the ball up ok and scored a goal.The goal was quality build up play,but that was a very rare event.Novak didn't do much and is lacking in pace,Slade could of changed him at half time,but as he is a safety first kind of manager he didn't. Holmes is a busy player who makes things happen,and Lookman showed glimpses of quality when he came on.The defence looks panicky and the midfield is a gaping hole.The two forwards showed little movement and didn't offer the midfield many options.

Magennis is a great player. Novak is a non-entity.
    Novak scored 15 goals in 35 appearances at Chesterfield last season.

Why can he do it there - but not with Charlton?
    That's the question.

He's already got one for us, a tap-in. I suspect that he rather needs the ball and the goal in close proximity. He has nothing else to his game.
    To be fair, you don't score 15 goals in 35 games just because you got lucky.
    And even a tap-in requires reading the game and moving to be in the right place at the right time - that's often what goal scoring is all about.

We can see Novak is not fitting into the gameplan.
    Magennis is playing Novak's preferred role - and there's not enough movement and creativity from a turgid midfield.

My point is that he comfortably did the business last year, but is looking lost here at Charlton.

That's fair. Novak didn't do an awful lot when he did receive the ball though, and he didn't move especially well. Agreed that he isn't the biggest problem, but he IS a problem.
  • Options
    We've actually moved up the table and are still just 5 points off play-offs. Sladey no win Saturday then you have to seriously question his input.
  • Options
    One of the worst games i've seen in a long time, Oldham would have felt robed if we'd have got three points, neither team deserved to win, neither deserve to get paid. had we of played any of about 16 teams in league 1 we'd have got smashed tonight.

The whole structure of the team is wrong, how much of that is just playing with what we have compared to Slades ability to build/recruit I don't know.

From an attacking perspective Magennis huff's and puffs and always puts in a shift but seems unable to direct any headers he does win towards another red shirt. Neither Ajose of Novak will work in the current set up as they are both having to play their backs to goal most of the time which for Ajose is a no no as for Novak he gets no service into the box from the wings so neither will score many. All of which means we are going to struggle for goals on a regular basis.

The midfield is very much a weak link, Crofts was bad today, only Foley coming on to replace him made him look half reasonable...... as for Ulvestad.....

Rudd says we have been close to turning these draws into wins and in some respects he's right, but there in lies the issue, we're close to being a mid table side with promotion ambitions (see what I did there.... ;-) ) but close is all we'll get i'm afraid.

• Options

I've spent £40 on 2 match day tickets. That's my lot. How much longer are we going to be mugged off by this regime.
    What's the point in supporting this team? May as well cash in on Lookman and Fox come January.
    This season will be long gone by then in any case.
    A grim state of affairs.

Wow...£40....that's entertainment!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

But I thought it was the anti-regime songs that made us concede goals and lose games?

Get with the latest. It's CARD's fault ... we are now pants because the players are missing the chants and squidgy balls.
  • Options

Miserable - Again. Last 4 games = 3 points.... From Fleetwood, Wimbledon, Oxford and Oldham.

That's real progress. I can't even be bothered to be bothered anymore.

At least you met me tonight mate
  • Options

The January transfer window will give a signal of intent of whether these muppets were serious about a promotion push. Never believed it and think we'll be back protesting outside the West come February sadly. Going nowhere but down under this mob of incompetents and the owner made it quite clear last week we're not even 2% of his consideration.

How many transfer windows do the regime need to prove their lack of intent?

Couldn't make tonight but we were crying out for a mobile central midfielder all summer but didn't get one. Which is the main problem with this side at present, no mobility in midfield. Heck I'd even put Ba back into the side if he's still around can't do any worse.

• Options
    Only one comment, Slade is a wanker.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

Masicat never wrong was one of life's few certainties...
    Now even that has gone.

Masicat lose sense of humour.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited September 2016
    seth plum said:

PWR

We will soon be able to cut and paste all of the post match views because its the same new same new.

Every single person knew that Oldham would score, they had had opportunities, and indeed a first half block from Solly was warning enough, and to their great credit another decent honest enough team, this time Oldham, sussed us out and sorted us out.

Oldham were not great, but that says a lot about us that we were equally not that great...again.

You simply can't construct a team with no midfield, and Slade's work in dealing with this problem, even though he had been prevented from creating a proper midfield, is open to question.

Team selection and in match response is pretty poor, even dreary at the moment, and in preparing this inadequate squad Slade does not seem to be able to minimise the weaknesses or play to whatever strengths we might have. Holmes aside we have no spark, there is no such thing as a driving force in the make up of this side, and try as hard as they like the players can't compensate for the deficiencies in the whole set up.

It is hard to make cheese on toast if you only have bread, or no toaster or grill, and it is hard to construct a football team if you don't have a midfield worthy of the name.

It was a depressing night at the Valley unless you're associated with Oldham, and their loyal support got what they deserved.

The chite result, the empty stadium, and the season collapsing, is what this regime deserve, and it isn't the fault of the support either.

We are now EIGHT points, four away wins, behind what we ought to have in order to make this season meaningful. If we have a top six budget, the way it is used we will be very lucky to be top half.

This.

The midfield has been completely neglected. Slade is not helping and the poor squad and holes in the team is only pushing him further down a negative path. Being that Holmes is one of the few players in the squad with any energy, surely it must be considered to push him into central midfield ? Grasping at straws a bit but unless that central midfield is sorted out, Charlton are going to struggle in more or less every game. Especially as every other team in the division will have noted the weakness.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Those pre season musings about whether we'd finish top or second seem a long way off. What a horrible mess.
    When will we cut the cancer out of our club?
  • Options
    The saddest thing is that every home game until the end of the season/when Slade is sacked will be a festering cauldron of FACK ORF CHARLTON now. Which, as we saw last season, can contribute to a severe downward spiral. We'd best score in the opening 3 minutes of every game hereafter