Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Oldham - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options

I've spent £40 on 2 match day tickets. That's my lot. How much longer are we going to be mugged off by this regime.
    What's the point in supporting this team? May as well cash in on Lookman and Fox come January.
    This season will be long gone by then in any case.
    A grim state of affairs.

No offence but until you (and many like you) stop going, the longer we are going to be stuck with these goons.

Just stay away.
  • Options
    Surprised that so many are surprised at Slade's (now exposed) limitations. His track record is hardly inspiring and even Meire's biggest thrill when he was unveilled seemed to be that he was British. Possibly the only one they could land who had managed a league club. Barring his two seasons of cash management at Cardiff, this division represents the pinnacle of his management career. He's not so much inept as just struggling to stay afloat.

The very fact Meire trilled on so much when he was appointed - and the problems they had finding someone to take the post - suggests he will be here for the season unless we reach the New Year in the bottom three or four. I am sure Duchatalet/Meire would love another one of their pets in the post, but even they are going to give the British experiment a decent run, if only so they can say they tried and it didn't work.
  • Options
    Fore those of us who spent the money we would have usually spent on tickets on a bottle of wine (or two) and so did not suffer this game, what was the atmosphere like (was there any?) and what was the reception the team and, more particularly, Slade got on the final whistle?
  • Options
    mogodon said:

Fore those of us who spent the money we would have usually spent on tickets on a bottle of wine (or two) and so did not suffer this game, what was the atmosphere like (was there any?) and what was the reception the team and, more particularly, Slade got on the final whistle?

We were fucking abysmal for 20 minutes and from about 15 to 20 minutes the crowd were booing and jeering. Then we started sarcastically cheering our passes as we knocked it around. Then we scored from that same move and everyone didn't know what to do so we stayed pretty affable (if by no means loud) until about 70 minutes in, when we started playing like absolute wankers again. This intensified when Oldham equalised and did not let up. Loud boos at final whistle, Slade booed loudly from field. Players also booed. It was ugly.
  • Options

The January transfer window will give a signal of intent of whether these muppets were serious about a promotion push. Never believed it and think we'll be back protesting outside the West come February sadly. Going nowhere but down under this mob of incompetents and the owner made it quite clear last week we're not even 2% of his consideration.

How many transfer windows do the regime need to prove their lack of intent?

They showed me a good while ago. Clearly 7000 or so still need more proof
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Shower of shit tonight, balance of play I can barely justify a point. Our goal was truly against the run of play, and I think that was about it.

Couldn't pass the thing, in fact, didn't try to. Sluggish off the ball, sat way too deep defending (due to our CMs collapsing backwards when not in possession) - Rudd was constantly trying to push them out.

A crap team came to The Valley, didn't create much, but took absolute control of possession and looked almost surprised about how much freedom and time on the ball they had. One final ball from carving us open a number of times.

Worrying, worrying performance. Worse than coming away with a (probably undeserved) point.

The team selection is baffling - how many teams in this division, that are above us I might add, would have Ajose or Lookman the first name on their teamsheet?

Novak was crap tonight, I think he's a good player though, but cannot understand for a minute why he stayed on as long as he did. Every player has a stinker every now and again, sometimes you've just got to haul them off. Early days, but I think it's because he's not particularly compatible with Magennis.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    WSS said:
    I hope RD and KM see this and weep, the useless ****s.
  • Options
    none of the three relegated clubs won tonight .. in fact we were the only one to get a point .. thing is, this is one tough division and unrecognisable standard wise from our last visit down here .. not using this as an 'excuse' or 'reason for our rubbish form and performances' just stating an opinion .. even if we were in top form with an adventurous rather than a timid manager, it would just not be a cakewalk
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Reality is Slade is inept and whilst not having all the players you would like we have been undone once again by tatical awareness.The big gangly no 24 for Oldham just swpt up everything and started their forays in the 2nd half.At one point he asked Novak to pick him up.

Why he couldn't play 3-5-2 and allow Holmes a more central role to change things. Clearly obvious to all the midfield especially the centre is weak and not creative. Give a youngster a go however 2 things really tell me that all is not good. Twice Fox and once Solly failed to return the ball back to Rudd after seeing it out for a goal kick even to the point where they just dropped the ball short. Complete lack of impetus as we were 1 up at the time or worse case disharmony and shows there not a team pulling together with a focus on the positive. Where was the last time players showed grit and passion and more importantly if Slade is to stand in the technical area do something not for the fans but the team. If you can't inspire the fans can you inspire the players?

Dissapointly I think not
  • Options
    Just in. First 25 minutes ran around like headless chickens. No game plan, no shape and no leader. Poorest they've played at home this season. Started to get it together and some nice play led to a good goal. Saw out the first half and I thought they'd push on in the second half. Not to be - seemed to play deeper and no organisation. Slade's body language said it all - he doesn't show any enthusiasm or oomph wandering around with his silly hat on. The subs were a lot earlier at around 60 minutes and were positive - but you could argue that Lookman should have started. Foley did't add much - should've put Botaka on the wing. Think Slade is too conservative with his selection and game plan, if he even has one.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited September 2016

vff said:

5 to 6,000 in the ground and it is not even cold yet. Poor sounding match and Slade failing to press Charlton forward for the second goal. Though by the sound of it, that sounded beyond the performance in the second half.

An unbalanced, partially completed squad with a poor central midfield combined with an overly defensive manager in Slade is definitely not a good combination.

Was the crowd really that bad??5000?
    In that case will I be OK for a ticket on the day sat?? As don't want to commit as may have to work??
    After the last few games, and tonights performance, I don't think you will have any problems getting a seat. I was thinking about going to the Rochdale game for the last game this calendar year, but think I will be giving it a miss. Maybe a decent central midfielder may be found in the January window to help make a complete team for the New Year. The team is currently desperate to watch. Slade needs to quickly find some answers in up to the window to this problem. He hasn't looked like finding any solutions so far. A team less than sum of its parts. Terrible times.
  • Options
    Slade is tactically inept , can't believe how poor we are future looks bleak .
  • Options
    We aren't very good....... full stop.
  • Options

After 9 with Chris Powell in charge in L1 weren't we W7 D2 L0... not sure about after 10. He probably spent less also.

Please stop spending your money and time watching this guys, put both the aforementioned into getting this cancer we call RD from our Club.

Chris Powell took charge of Derby tonight as Pearson was suspended. They won 0 2 at Cardiff - he could be someone we should keep an eye on.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

cabbles said:

Another solid point. Unbeaten in 3 and something to build on. Rochdale have hit a bit of form so we'd do well to pick up a draw on Saturday.

I don't think we sat deep enough or retreated to park the bus sufficiently and ultimately that is how we've been undone in the end.

We need to secure, protect and consolidate on Saturday if we're to establish ourselves as a solid league one mid table outfit.

Surely being a solid League One mid-table outfit is just an aspiration. Not really achievable.
    Absolutely - it's going to be very tough. However I think you'll find Rochdale spent about 30-40 years in the bottom league up until about 10 years ago. It will be hard work but I am confident with Slade's secure approach we can achieve this. When I look at the static Crofts, I can go to bed safe in the knowledge we could be League One's Rochdale 2016-2046

PS - Katy was looking very tanned tonight, holiday looks to have done her the world of good. My holiday this year was Cheltenham. We all choose different paths
    Time for an email cabs
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Got a spare ST in the East which I was happy to accept.

We didn't play badly.

But we didn't play well either.

Oldham weren't rubbish either, moved the ball well, were ambitious with 2 up front. Can't say they didn't deserve their point either. They had chances.

As for Charlton - flat

Flat formation
    Flat football
    Flat atmosphere (6 to 7k at best)

Other than Holmes no spark and that was few and far between.

The others all played OK, not good just OK
    Maginnis worked hard but him and Novak didn't work.

Subbing Crofts for Foley sums it up.

It sums up the lack of the creative midfielder and the lack of zip in the team.

Slade was booed off by the covered end.

He's not to blame for the lack of decent midfielders and options but this was the third game in a row v moderate opposition where we've gone ahead and not won.

But maybe that's because we are a moderate team at present.

• Options
    I was actually at this one but I wish I hadn't bothered. Totally inept performance. Probably the worst I have ever seen from a Charlton side.

Oldham could have (and should have) won convincingly.
  • Options
    mogodon said:

Surprised that so many are surprised at Slade's (now exposed) limitations. His track record is hardly inspiring and even Meire's biggest thrill when he was unveilled seemed to be that he was British. Possibly the only one they could land who had managed a league club. Barring his two seasons of cash management at Cardiff, this division represents the pinnacle of his management career. He's not so much inept as just struggling to stay afloat.

The very fact Meire trilled on so much when he was appointed - and the problems they had finding someone to take the post - suggests he will be here for the season unless we reach the New Year in the bottom three or four. I am sure Duchatalet/Meire would love another one of their pets in the post, but even they are going to give the British experiment a decent run, if only so they can say they tried and it didn't work.

Duchatelet v unlikely to put money into the club at present I'd say. (Brexit?).

We may have to ride this one out.

Last season Lookman + Ajose + Novak + Holmes + Magennis scored 69 times. On their form so far we'll be lucky to get 35-40 goals out of them collectively. Slade simply hasn't set the team up in a way that promotes positive football.

• Options
    HandG said:

none of the three relegated clubs won tonight .. in fact we were the only one to get a point .. thing is, this is one tough division and unrecognisable standard wise from our last visit down here .. not using this as an 'excuse' or 'reason for our rubbish form and performances' just stating an opinion .. even if we were in top form with an adventurous rather than a timid manager, it would just not be a cakewalk

I can't be having that. Our first season in League One included Leeds, Norwich, Southampton and a very strong Millwall and Swindon side. Every team I have seen this season have looked poor and tonight's performance from us was the poorest I've seen from anyone.
    Agreed. I think L1 this season is very even, with no strong teams, but also no bad teams either.

The cliche is that "big clubs" like us come down to L1, and can't cope with the physicality and workrate, but that hasn't been the case. Oldham played better football than us, as have most recent opponents
  • Options
    seth plum said:

PWR

We will soon be able to cut and paste all of the post match views because its the same new same new.

Every single person knew that Oldham would score, they had had opportunities, and indeed a first half block from Solly was warning enough, and to their great credit another decent honest enough team, this time Oldham, sussed us out and sorted us out.

Oldham were not great, but that says a lot about us that we were equally not that great...again.

You simply can't construct a team with no midfield, and Slade's work in dealing with this problem, even though he had been prevented from creating a proper midfield, is open to question.

Team selection and in match response is pretty poor, even dreary at the moment, and in preparing this inadequate squad Slade does not seem to be able to minimise the weaknesses or play to whatever strengths we might have. Holmes aside we have no spark, there is no such thing as a driving force in the make up of this side, and try as hard as they like the players can't compensate for the deficiencies in the whole set up.

It is hard to make cheese on toast if you only have bread, or no toaster or grill, and it is hard to construct a football team if you don't have a midfield worthy of the name.

It was a depressing night at the Valley unless you're associated with Oldham, and their loyal support got what they deserved.

The chite result, the empty stadium, and the season collapsing, is what this regime deserve, and it isn't the fault of the support either.

We are now EIGHT points, four away wins, behind what we ought to have in order to make this season meaningful. If we have a top six budget, the way it is used we will be very lucky to be top half.

RWP!!!!
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Posting without reading.

This game was like Wimbledon only worse in that we created nothing like the number of chances we managed against them. Wimbledon was a game we could and should have won had we not been profligate. Tonight all I can remember on target in the entire 90+ minutes from Charlton are Big Josh's goal which, well taken though it was, came very much against the run of play, Lookman's shot which struck the join of bar and post and a weak shot from Crofts straight at the goalkeeper.

Russell Slade seems to have either an inability to learn from previous matches or a stubborn, obsessive compulsive disorder to stick to the same failed formula.

Apart from the missed chances referred to above we lost against Wimbledon because we sat back in the second half rather than battle for that vital second goal to kill the match off. Our defence is always prone to error and if Oldham themselves weren't as profligate as we were against Wimbledon we could and would have deservedly lost that match tonight rather than fortuitously hanging on for dear life and scraping a draw.

The players did try to do their best I think but the fact is too many of them are either simply not that good, being one paced crabs, or else playing that way because of orders from Slade. Who can tell?

The 'boycotters' certainly got the better deal tonight. This match was awful and on a par with our defeat by Walsall one Sunday at The Valley under Parky just before he was sacked.

I'm not one to call for the head of managers as a rule but there seems to be a big, bald rabbit frozen in the headlights of Charlton at the moment with no Plan B whatsoever. In fact Ben Drew would probably improve our midfield!

Forget talk of automatic promotion and play-offs this side will do well to stay out of the bottom four on the evidence of tonight's form.
  • Options
    Truly awful game. Both sides dreadful.

What exactly do players like Crofts and Foley do? They don't really have any specific qualities to bring to the side, they just make up the numbers.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Posting without reading.

This game was like Wimbledon only worse in that we created nothing like the number of chances we managed against them. Wimbledon was a game we could and should have won had we not been profligate. Tonight all I can remember on target in the entire 90+ minutes from Charlton are Big Josh's goal which, well taken though it was, came very much against the run of play, Lookman's shot which struck the join of bar and post and a weak shot from Crofts straight at the goalkeeper.

Russell Slade seems to have either an inability to learn from previous matches or a stubborn, obsessive compulsive disorder to stick to the same failed formula.

Apart from the missed chances referred to above we lost against Wimbledon because we sat back in the second half rather than battle for that vital second goal to kill the match off. Our defence is always prone to error and if Oldham themselves weren't as profligate as we were against Wimbledon we could and would have deservedly lost that match tonight rather than fortuitously hanging on for dear life and scraping a draw.

The players did try to do their best I think but the fact is too many of them are either simply not that good, being one paced crabs, or else playing that way because of orders from Slade. Who can tell?

The 'boycotters' certainly got the better deal tonight. This match was awful and on a par with our defeat by Walsall one Sunday at The Valley under Parky just before he was sacked.

I'm not one to call for the head of managers as a rule but there seems to be a big, bald rabbit frozen in the headlights of Charlton at the moment with no Plan B whatsoever. In fact Ben Drew would probably improve our midfield!

Forget talk of automatic promotion and play-offs this side will do well to stay out of the bottom four on the evidence of tonight's form.

I don't think we sat back in the second half, it was more that we were unable to string 3 passes together for the majority of the match. I don't know whether it's nerves, pressure or bad coaching
  • Options
    I've seen better sides in non league football that would stroll all over Oldham. They were awful, and at the start of pre season had 5 players under contract, with the rest on trial.

The crowd was getting edgy until our goal, but after that we never looked like we was going to get a second, only until Lookman smacked the bar at 1-1.

Saturday at Oxford was negative but we were 5 times better on Saturday than tonight in front of 6,000 fans. No idea from coaching staff to players.