Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Oldham - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    Genuinely had no idea we had a game last night and only found out by accidentally going to cafc.co.uk instead of Charltonlife about 2 minutes ago.
  • Options
    Good words Fanny
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

I'm gonna get dog's abuse for this ... Johnson should have played last night, Konsa is just not ready .. I suspect Slade will not pick Johnson to start as he (Slade) knows how unpopular Johnson is with the fans

Johnson should be above Lennon in the pecking order for Saturday if Pearce is unfit .. and we need major changes in midfield and attack .. Holmes central midfield behind Ajose and Magennis for a start ..
    recent timid, terrible selections must come to a halt .. however I do really fear that the current Valley atmosphere is not conducive to attacking, confident, perhaps arrogant displays of football from our players, opposition can sense this and take advantage

A lot of regime apologists have been banging on about how much better and more positive the atmosphere is at the Valley this season, while the match day protests have been in abeyance. truth is the atmosphere is driven by the performances, chances, excitement and results.
    My daughter, who has not been to the Valley for 18 months, came with me last night. She said that what most struck her was that the sense of being part of a family had completely disappeared.
    The absence of protests is not a good sign, more that we seem to have reached acceptance in the grief cycle-for something we have all lost.
  • Options
    A club relegated from the Championship that has failed to beat 3 sides promoted from L2, or Fleetwood or Oldham.
    We look like mid-table at best after 12 points from 10 games (almost a quarter of the season gone)
    Not panicking yet - but the next 3 games will tell us what to expect in May.
    No wins from Crawlwy/Cov/Roch means a relegation battle IMO.
  • Options
    Meire must feel so proud when she looks around!
  • Options

purdis said:

PWR

A brief but to the point view from Fanny ....

At best we have a mediocre squad, largely due to the financial restraints imposed on Brussell by You Know Who but compounded by a manager who hasn't set the world alight thus far.

We have to challenge the game plan of the gaffer from minute 1 to minutes 90+. We have to believe that his aim is to gain 3 points from every home game but his substitutions regularly mean that we question his "goal".

Teaching my grandmother to suck eggs wasn't something I planned to do but FFS, our midfield is sorely lacking in skill, pace, character & just about everything else you can think of. Sadly, even I have to believe that JJ's legs are best kept "on ice" in readiness for a last throw of the dice from the bench.

Why have a player on the bench & not bring him on who, basically is unknown to other L1 teams & who has given glimpses of what he COULD do to change a game ...and I don't mean Rojo.

I wonder what the team spirit is like behind the scenes - have the members bonded? Are they " a unit" ? Does the gaffer inspire confidence ? Is he inspirational ? SO many questions.

Finally, how many of us could have written the script tonight ?

If we can't beat teams like Oldham ( no offence meant) at The Valley then I see little hope for this season. We know as far as the squad is concerned, we have what we have until January. And as I'm sure others have pointed out before my post, if we sacked RS, who the hell would want to join our version of Ringling Brothers ? So, where do we go from here ?

More than ever, at this moment in time, I am numb. I didn't enjoy one minute of tonight's game...I was bored / disinterested/ distracted/ angry throughout the 90 minutes - something I don't believe I have ever felt at a Charlton match before & it breaks my heart to admit this.

Whatever it takes, WE HAVE TO GET OUR CLUB BACK before the disease that threatens its very existence becomes terminal. We are not yet at rock bottom but the speed & manner of our decline is frightening. Sadly, until we are rid of this toxic regime, I see no future.

" Just sell our club, our famous football club " !

Who could argue with your sentiments, Fanny.

The big question must be, even if RD and his circus did throw in the towel, who, in their right minds is going to buy this sinking ship?

So many folk feel the same as you and tonight I cannot express my frustration and anger in words but, for myself, I cannot see investors queuing up to take up the poisoned chalice. The fans should have or need to come up with something better than, 'Sell the Club and do one' - they need to attract a buyer and the way things are going, that will not be easy.

If you were a potential investor and you saw the way the Club has been brought to its knees by fans voting with their feet and killing revenue/income streams so aggressively and so early in the tenure of the owners, would you not be deeply concerned that the same might happen to you as the new owner?
    But surely it was only a matter of weeks ago that question was posed & unless I've been hallucinating again ( only 2 wines last night- should have been more!) I believe Airman indicated that a certain investor was still interested....and the front man of such will be only too aware of why the fans are protesting. He , and others, should be aware of the history of these fans in their ability & willingness to help bring our famous club back from the brink - something the current regime will NEVER understand.

And are you honestly saying it's the fans that should " attract a buyer " ? The fans are the responsible ones that are bringing the disaster that's our club to the public/media's attention by their actions which have not been taken lightly. Would you rather we all sit on our hands , gaffer tape our mouths & watch whilst our football club goes to the dogs ?

ANY investor worth his salt will already know, or should make it his/her job to scratch below the current, toxic surface, that Addicks are a very special breed of supporters- resilient, loyal in the extreme & fiercely proud of their football club WHEN they are respected & not treated like idiots. We have been part of the CAFC team & will be so again but each week/month/year that passes by under KM /RD will make the recovery more difficult & prolonged.

The regime should remember there is no "i" in team but seemingly, their spelling, like their raison d'etre is flawed in the extreme.
    Excellent post Fanny. Spot on.
  • Options
    Is Regan Charles Cook ready? Surely a few subs appearances must be worth trying - if only to put a bit of pressure and speed up Crofts, JJ and Foley.
  • Options
    Southbank said:

Davo55 said:

I'm gonna get dog's abuse for this ... Johnson should have played last night, Konsa is just not ready .. I suspect Slade will not pick Johnson to start as he (Slade) knows how unpopular Johnson is with the fans

Johnson should be above Lennon in the pecking order for Saturday if Pearce is unfit .. and we need major changes in midfield and attack .. Holmes central midfield behind Ajose and Magennis for a start ..
    recent timid, terrible selections must come to a halt .. however I do really fear that the current Valley atmosphere is not conducive to attacking, confident, perhaps arrogant displays of football from our players, opposition can sense this and take advantage

A lot of regime apologists have been banging on about how much better and more positive the atmosphere is at the Valley this season, while the match day protests have been in abeyance. truth is the atmosphere is driven by the performances, chances, excitement and results.
    My daughter, who has not been to the Valley for 18 months, came with me last night. She said that what most struck her was that the sense of being part of a family had completely disappeared.
    The absence of protests is not a good sign, more that we seem to have reached acceptance in the grief cycle-for something we have all lost.
    We're still a family it's just we have an absentee father and an evil step mother.
  • Options

A club relegated from the Championship that has failed to beat 3 sides promoted from L2, or Fleetwood or Oldham.
    We look like mid-table at best after 12 points from 10 games (almost a quarter of the season gone)
    Not panicking yet - but the next 3 games will tell us what to expect in May.
    No wins from Crawlwy/Cov/Roch means a relegation battle IMO.

What's most concerning, is that we can't say we've been hammering teams every week, and missing wins due to bad finishing or bad luck. Our football if anything is getting worse than it was at the start of the season, Oldham out passed us last night, and with better finishing would have won easily
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Worth just reacquainting ourselves with this gem from KM as we all sober up to the predicament we are currently in,

Charlton Chief Executive Katrien Meire has issued the following statement following the club's relegation to League One
    Everyone at Charlton Athletic Football Club is deeply disappointed that we have been relegated from the Championship.

This is not the time for excuses. We apologise for our mistakes and now need to learn from them so that we can put firm foundations in place for the future that ensure the long-term stability of the club.

We all acknowledge that this is a difficult time for the club, but I and the club’s Senior Management Team will start the rebuilding work immediately. Our sole aim is to be fighting for promotion next season and our top priority is to put together a squad that can help Charlton Athletic get back into the Championship.

We would like to thank our fans for their support and continued loyalty both home and away this season, and we will communicate further plans for next season in the coming weeks and months. Our fans are integral to the success of this club and we want to work together with our supporters to make sure we move forward in our pursuit to return to the Championship.

• Options
    Davo55 said:

cabbles said:

I've woken up this morning and I still haven't changed my opinion, solid point. We go again on Saturday, team unbeaten in 3. A good foundation

@cabbles

a) still pissed?

b) on a wind up?

c) serious?

If c) would genuinely love to know the reason for your calm, optimistic outlook. For the life of me I can see nothing but a bleak future unless Duchatelet takes a loss on his investment and sells up.
    I think you're trying to entice me into falling foul of the capital B closed bracket trap......never put a capital B on here followed by a closed bracket otherwise it is no longer a capital B, it is a B)

but to answer your point, yes it is b)

well done for not using a capital B
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Davo55 said:

cabbles said:

I've woken up this morning and I still haven't changed my opinion, solid point. We go again on Saturday, team unbeaten in 3. A good foundation

@cabbles

a) still pissed?

b) on a wind up?

c) serious?

If c) would genuinely love to know the reason for your calm, optimistic outlook. For the life of me I can see nothing but a bleak future unless Duchatelet takes a loss on his investment and sells up.
    I think you're trying to entice me into falling foul of the capital B closed bracket trap......never put a capital B on here followed by a closed bracket otherwise it is no longer a capital B, it is a B)

Thank god for that! I love your posts but I really thought you might have meant it and feared for your sanity :smile:
  • Options
    purdis said:

purdis said:

The Club is dying on its feet - never mind though, once we've killed it off we can all drive through the tunnel to Stratford to watch a new team.

Wow just fucking wow "once we've killed it off" wtf are you on about ?
    Should we all turn up and fill the stadium and watch that shit or will it suddenly all turn good (ask Newcastle fans if that works)
    It's these wanky owners who have turned us in to this shit house , not the fans ffs
    purdis said:

The big question must be, even if RD and his circus did throw in the towel, who, in their right minds is going to buy this sinking ship?

I cannot see investors queuing up to take up the poisoned chalice. The fans should have or need to come up with something better than, 'Sell the Club and do one' - they need to attract a buyer and the way things are going, that will not be easy.

If you were a potential investor and you saw the way the Club has been brought to its knees by fans voting with their feet and killing revenue/income streams so aggressively and so early in the tenure of the owners, would you not be deeply concerned that the same might happen to you as the new owner?

You just have to be kidding me !

Peter Varney had punters interested in buying this poisoned chalice , the clown that owns us didn't bother for a meet up
    Any potential new owner who does their due diligence will know that fans are staying away due to the inept ownership and club we currently have .

Apologies if you've had your head stuck in the sand for the last two years .

Unbelievable Jeff
    Just look where we are now compared to 12 months ago in terms of squad, crowds, support and, most importantly, football.
    We are as bad as we've ever been as a team.

I seem to recall SCP commenting in an interview that Varney promised him money which never came. The grass is always greener.

The ultimate cause of our demise is the players themselves but one thing is for sure, the current squad reflects the much reduced level of income the club has received over what is now a long period of time.

I don't blame the fans for staying away - it's not my position to tell you whether you should come or to judge you for not coming - freedom of choice and I spent nearly a grand on showing my misguided loyalty.

The West Ham debacle highlights how it could be (and I'd swap their problems with ours any day) and Newcastle is a good example of how fans loyalty can still fail miserably, I agree.

I just cannot believe what I saw last night and how bad we are compared to the euphoria of 12 months ago when JBG's 98th minute header hit the back of the net to beat Hull (now a Premiership team and JBG now a Premiership player).

The arrival of West Ham at Stratford and the draw on local support caused by it may prevent CAFC from ever becoming a great club again - the problem is we sit in a 27,000 seater stadium with its inherent costs and overheads, drawing crowds of under 9,000 - something's got to give.
    So to reiterate, how exactly have we killed off the club?
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

cabbles said:

Davo55 said:

cabbles said:

@cabbles

a) still pissed?

b) on a wind up?

c) serious?

Thank god for that! I love your posts but I really thought you might have meant it and feared for your sanity :smile:
    It feels like consolidation in League One is all we're likely to achieve at the moment unfortunately. I'm still prepared to give Slade time and I felt he said the right thing in his response to the performance last night. I just worry that personnel wise it's not going to be as good as I though it could be. We were truly shocking last night
  • Options

purdis said:

vff said:

purdis said:

PWR

At best we have a mediocre squad, largely due to the financial restraints imposed on Brussell by You Know Who but compounded by a manager who hasn't set the world alight thus far.

We have to challenge the game plan of the gaffer from minute 1 to minutes 90+. We have to believe that his aim is to gain 3 points from every home game but his substitutions regularly mean that we question his "goal".

Teaching my grandmother to suck eggs wasn't something I planned to do but FFS, our midfield is sorely lacking in skill, pace, character & just about everything else you can think of. Sadly, even I have to believe that JJ's legs are best kept "on ice" in readiness for a last throw of the dice from the bench.

Why have a player on the bench & not bring him on who, basically is unknown to other L1 teams & who has given glimpses of what he COULD do to change a game ...and I don't mean Rojo.

I wonder what the team spirit is like behind the scenes - have the members bonded? Are they " a unit" ? Does the gaffer inspire confidence ? Is he inspirational ? SO many questions.

If we can't beat teams like Oldham ( no offence meant) at The Valley then I see little hope for this season. We know as far as the squad is concerned, we have what we have until January. And as I'm sure others have pointed out before my post, if we sacked RS, who the hell would want to join our version of Ringling Brothers ? So, where do we go from here ?

More than ever, at this moment in time, I am numb. I didn't enjoy one minute of tonight's game...I was bored / disinterested/ distracted/ angry throughout the 90 minutes - something I don't believe I have ever felt at a Charlton match before & it breaks my heart to admit this.

Whatever it takes, WE HAVE TO GET OUR CLUB BACK before the disease that threatens its very existence becomes terminal. We are not yet at rock bottom but the speed & manner of our decline is frightening. Sadly, until we are rid of this toxic regime, I see no future.

So many folk feel the same as you and tonight I cannot express my frustration and anger in words but, for myself, I cannot see investors queuing up to take up the poisoned chalice. The fans should have or need to come up with something better than, 'Sell the Club and do one' - they need to attract a buyer and the way things are going, that will not be easy.

There appears to be quite a few interested to buy. This is straight from both Duchatelet & Meire. The only question is that how much does Duchatelet try to claim in the price payment for all the many abysmal decisions made at the club. If there is a decent new owner willing to invest and run the club like adult, competent, professional grown ups then Charlton supporters will return. There is still great potential in the club. I miss my club & watching the football. I really don't care about watching Spurs in European Competition on BT Sport.

I would renew my season ticket in this instance of decent new owners in a heartbeat. I am sure many other Charlton supporters are in the same boat. I am not renewing whilst these incompetents serving up incomplete squads that produce rubbish, boring football are in place.
    I would not doubt your knowledge but the point you make about the price RD will accept I see as the deal breaker - from the numbers quoted on here he would need to take a serious loss on his investment and previously I was given the impression he wanted the full investment back - sure you know more than me on this, anyway.
    If you buy a car and proceed to smash it into a wall, it does not retian its value. If RD had got Charlton promoted, he would get much more than his investment back. As he has got us relegated, what can he seriously expect?
    Nice analogy.

Do you get your money back if you buy a car, strip out the interior, the engine, the gearbox, transmission and steering wheel, replace them with this of a much worse car or not replace them at all, take out huge loans to fund screwing up your motor and then drive it into the wall?
  • Options

purdis said:

PWR

But surely it was only a matter of weeks ago that question was posed & unless I've been hallucinating again ( only 2 wines last night- should have been more!) I believe Airman indicated that a certain investor was still interested....and the front man of such will be only too aware of why the fans are protesting. He , and others, should be aware of the history of these fans in their ability & willingness to help bring our famous club back from the brink - something the current regime will NEVER understand.

And are you honestly saying it's the fans that should " attract a buyer " ? The fans are the responsible ones that are bringing the disaster that's our club to the public/media's attention by their actions which have not been taken lightly. Would you rather we all sit on our hands , gaffer tape our mouths & watch whilst our football club goes to the dogs ?

ANY investor worth his salt will already know, or should make it his/her job to scratch below the current, toxic surface, that Addicks are a very special breed of supporters- resilient, loyal in the extreme & fiercely proud of their football club WHEN they are respected & not treated like idiots. We have been part of the CAFC team & will be so again but each week/month/year that passes by under KM /RD will make the recovery more difficult & prolonged.

The regime should remember there is no "i" in team but seemingly, their spelling, like their raison d'etre is flawed in the extreme.
    Hi, Fanny
    I'm probably on the wrong website here since it is has such strong support for C.A.R.D but I too would like to see new owners - moreso a new C.E.O, tbh as I am told that Roland has put a lot of money into the Club and the squad last season compared to this is chalk from cheese in quality which reflects the relegation and the lost revenue from ticket and merchandising.

My comment on the fans attracting investment was based on the reducing numbers at each game and how that may cheapen the value of the Club which may, in turn, affect the price Roland is offered by potential investors/buyers against the price he would expect to realise - this scenario might make it even more difficult for Roland to walk in the shorter term if the loss is too considerable to write off.
    He may take the view that the wins will start to come and they'll revitalise the Club from within and with himself at the helm.

Katrien has to go, imho, as she has shown that she is simply not up to the task.

If we are to be bought then please let it be by someone who has proper money and not a strung-together consortium who promise a return to the halcyon days yet do not have the depth of pockets to actually deliver - that would be simply out of the frying pan and into the fire.

I would not have any problem with a Russian Oligarch or an Arab Sheikh coming up with hard cash and a clear vision of where they want to take the Club and the level of commitment they are prepared to make to achieve it.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

Johnson is an experienced, organising player: he marshals the back-line and cajoles his team-mates. It was the first-team squad, at Orient, pre-season after the drippy navel-gazing in Austria. I watched him: without Johnson we would have lost, and our players learned nothing about discipline and authority.

Two weeks later, the season started in earnest - and Charlton failed at Bury. Lost 2-0. Our fans are mortally offended because at the end of a game Johnson swore at a pansy in the front row - Ahhh, diddums! Get over it!

Johnson has more guts, talent, knowledge and ability than Foley, Crofts, Jackson, Fox - Fox! - and most others in our dismal little squad. When Johnson says: "FUCK OFF!", he means it. The others troop off, heads bowed, back to the dressing-room, the X-box, the car, the wife...

With Johnson, we would beat weak little teams like Wimbledon, Oldham and Rochdale.

• Options

Johnson is an experienced, organising player: he marshals the back-line and cajoles his team-mates. It was the first-team squad, at Orient, pre-season after the drippy navel-gazing in Austria. I watched him: without Johnson we would have lost, and our players learned nothing about discipline and authority.

Two weeks later, the season started in earnest - and Charlton failed at Bury. Lost 2-0. Our fans are mortally offended because at the end of a game Johnson swore at a pansy in the front row - Ahhh, diddums! Get over it!

Johnson has more guts, talent, knowledge and ability than Foley, Crofts, Jackson, Fox - Fox! - and most others in our dismal little squad. When Johnson says: "FUCK OFF!", he means it. The others troop off, heads bowed, back to the dressing-room, the X-box, the car, the wife...

With Johnson, we would beat weak little teams like Wimbledon, Oldham and Rochdale.

Hence my previous comment about Slade's pathetic apology for Johnson doing neither any favour. If Slade and Johnson had come out together to speak, Johnson made a grovelling apology and Slade said it was unacceptable, but that the matter was closed, we could all have moved on.

Pearce is the defensive organiser. Without him or Tex, we need an experienced CB to organise the defence and even the defensive midfielders, we aren't looking secure at the back
  • Options
    If Katrien goes it will provide a fresh breeze that the club dearly needs, but the fact that the owner fails to do the obvious tells us what a sorry tale this ownership is.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Davo55 said:

agree with this up to a point .. it's a chicken/egg situation though .. good & happy crowd 'vibes' encourage good performances and intimidate the opposition .. unhappy vibes, even if not hostile or hurtful, a feeling of malaise and apprehension .. have the opposite effect .. however, we won't really know until the end of this so far very fraught young season .. and that's a looooong way away
  • Options

Can anyone comment on atmosphere at full-time?
    How many times this season will we take lead and not win.

Plenty of booing audible on the commentary. And not just immediately the whistle blew. Sounded like it got upped as somebody walked off, presumably Slade.

It *was* when Slade walked off. He noticeably kept his head down. Not a glance at the stands. The booing was loud. And understandable.
    No spark in the side, Lookman excepted. Everyone wanted to see Botaka.
    We played as if we were playing a top of the table side, away from home.

Jim

• Options
    edited September 2016
    purdis said:

purdis said:

PWR

Hi, Fanny
    I'm probably on the wrong website here since it is has such strong support for C.A.R.D but I too would like to see new owners - moreso a new C.E.O, tbh as I am told that Roland has put a lot of money into the Club and the squad last season compared to this is chalk from cheese in quality which reflects the relegation and the lost revenue from ticket and merchandising.

My comment on the fans attracting investment was based on the reducing numbers at each game and how that may cheapen the value of the Club which may, in turn, affect the price Roland is offered by potential investors/buyers against the price he would expect to realise - this scenario might make it even more difficult for Roland to walk in the shorter term if the loss is too considerable to write off.
    He may take the view that the wins will start to come and they'll revitalise the Club from within and with himself at the helm.

Katrien has to go, imho, as she has shown that she is simply not up to the task.

If we are to be bought then please let it be by someone who has proper money and not a strung-together consortium who promise a return to the halcyon days yet do not have the depth of pockets to actually deliver - that would be simply out of the frying pan and into the fire.

I would not have any problem with a Russian Oligarch or an Arab Sheikh coming up with hard cash and a clear vision of where they want to take the Club and the level of commitment they are prepared to make to achieve it.
    The drop in central revenue (TV, PL solidarity money) is vastly more than the forfeited commercial revenue. That has nothing to do with the fans, it is only about the failure on the pitch.

The amount being spent on the missing seven is also likely to exceed the difference in other commercial revenue. That has nothing to do with the fans either.

The cut in the remaining football budget has much more to do with these factors than how many people are attending matches. That's just maths.
  • Options
    Good news everyone. On another forum Colin is upbeat and believes we are in a good position for the rest of the season. He possibly also believes Greece's economy is on the rise after no more than a temporary blip.
  • Options

Hence my previous comment about Slade's pathetic apology for Johnson doing neither any favour. If Slade and Johnson had come out together to speak, Johnson made a grovelling apology and Slade said it was unacceptable, but that the matter was closed, we could all have moved on.

Pearce is the defensive organiser. Without him or Tex, we need an experienced CB to organise the defence and even the defensive midfielders, we aren't looking secure at the back
    It could be worse. We could have a load of other players on the payroll who are just sitting there and being well paid while making no contribution to the club. But fortunately because of Squirrel Face's cunning allied to the brilliance of Thomas Driesen, we only sign gold.
  • Options

purdis said:

purdis said:

PWR

Hi, Fanny

The drop in central revenue (TV, PL solidarity money) is vastly more than the forfeited commercial revenue. That has nothing to do with the fans, it is only about the failure on the pitch.

The amount being spent on the missing seven is also likely to exceed the difference in other commercial revenue. That has nothing to do with the fans either.

The cut in the remaining football budget has much more to do with these factors than how many people are attending matches. That's just maths.
    Which is why, although I entirely understand people boycotting home games, replica kits etc, I'm not sure that the empty home stands will actually make that much of a difference to whether Rolands sells or stays.

• Options
    No Norwich, Leeds or Southampton in the 3rd tier now,

This must be the weakest League 1 since records began.

• Options
    Just watched the highlights and the goal is actually a superb passing move from the back - sounds likes it was a rare piece of quality along with Lookman's shot against the bar
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Yes, very rare! That was the most dire game I can recall for many a while. It was like watching a sunday league game in terms of the ability on show.
  • Options

purdis said:

purdis said:

PWR

Hi, Fanny

Which is why, although I entirely understand people boycotting home games, replica kits etc, I'm not sure that the empty home stands will actually make that much of a difference to whether Rolands sells or stays.

But IF, and it's a big if, say 2-3,000 of the regulars would agree to boycott one match to start with, wouldn't this make the papers/Sky Sports, BBC SE news etc ?

A drop from the published attendances at The Valley by such a number in one fell swoop could be another nail in RD/KM's coffin ( We want to be togevver!) regardless of the minimal loss of income.

" What is happening at CAFC ? There must be something seriously amiss when loyal fans desert The Valley en masse !"

Pride comes before a fall, Roly, old man ....