Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gay Footballers

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2021
  • Options
    Seems the most appropriate thread I could find - here in the US we have the first active player in one of the big 4 sports coming out as gay. Early days, but no outrage yet. 

A brave thing to do - I hope everyone gives him backing. Ridiculous in 2021 that this is still an issue.
    The numbers are hopefully reducing, but there will always be some bigots.

• Options
    I remember hearing those rumours back in the day.
    But I'm pretty shore he's married with kids.
    Not that it would matter one way or another. 
  • Options
    Hopefully this will make it less of an issue in all sports.
  • Options
    Did the rumour start because he was friends with will young? 2+2=5, agree that it would not matter if it did equal 4.
  • Options
    Nassib was wise to come out after he landed a big contract. Good luck to him.
  • Options
    Yeah, and the silence from other Raider players is a bit worrying
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It might matter to his Mrs if she was unaware.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Why? Should they make a big deal out of it? A very good chance they've already discussed it with the player himself and agreed not to all jump around whooping about it, as some seem to think should be the case.

I'll take the positive spin and go with the player has decided to not make a big deal out of it.
    Was it true about Terry Hurlock?
  • Options
    DA9 said:
    Rothko said:
    Perhaps they don’t give a flying one either way, and rather than virtual signalling all over social media, are just getting on with their own lives and careers, after all, if we are all in agreement that somebody’s sexuality is irrelevant, then not having to come out publicly should become the norm and shouldn’t need highlighting.
    If a colleague of mine came out, I wouldn’t care, it would illicit a shrug of the shoulders, I wouldn’t comment, and certainly wouldn’t rush to social media either 
    Virtual signalling, if you're, do they do that with goggles on. 

I say it as the NFL isn't a league known for its tolerance of difference, and Derek Carr is busy sorting out pastors for his evangelical church at the same time
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Why? Should they make a big deal out of it? A very good chance they've already discussed it with the player himself and agreed not to all jump around whooping about it, as some seem to think should be the case.

I'll take the positive spin and go with the player has decided to not make a big deal out of it.
    I think his team-mates - and coaches - would have all known a while beforehand, so I highly doubt there's an issue. The overriding quality that matters in the locker room is the ability to play gridiron, and Nassib happens to be a pretty good player.

As Jon Gruden just said, “I learned a long time ago what makes a man different is what makes him great” - and yeah, fair play, a great attitude to have when Carl is the first active player to come out.

There will always be a few bigots but I'm delighted to see an active NFL player come out.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Rothko said:

I think his team-mates - and coaches - would have all known a while beforehand, so I highly doubt there's an issue. The overriding quality that matters in the locker room is the ability to play gridiron, and Nassib happens to be a pretty good player.

As Jon Gruden just said, “I learned a long time ago what makes a man different is what makes him great” - and yeah, fair play, a great attitude to have when Carl is the first active player to come out.

There will always be a few bigots but I'm delighted to see an active NFL player come out.
    Agree with you that most of his team mates must have known. Bigotry in sport is hopefully less evident than in the past.

• Options
    Let's see how the crowds react.
  • Options
    Gay Footballers in the Professional women's League has never seemed to be an issue, possibly because the number of gay players is that much higher but the two Chelsea players or the two Arsenal women  who have partners in the same team are fine and everyone concentrates on the football.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2021
    I just don't understand why people have to come out as gay, straight, bi etc. 

It's great that people feel comfortable being themselves, but why does it need to be publicised? Genuine question as I quite honestly don't get the need. 
  • Options
    I can only sssune that Gilmour, mount and chillwell are trying to come out - what they must have got up to behind closed doors compared to all the hugging and kissing on the pitch with the Scots team and manager must have been quite something if it was more intimate than that !!!!
  • Options
    I used to work with a lady,her daughter was so obviously in a gay relationship,but she just refused to accept it and looked for every silver lining that this was not the case.many years later,her daughter is living very happily with her civil partner,and they have 2 adorable children,and the whole family is very content.But at the time ,I could see the problems that gay people have in coming out,the thought that their parents may not accept the situation must be very distressing.Times are changing,being gay years ago was very difficult,now not so much.It still takes great courage to "come out",you just do not know how some people will react,especially those that you care about,and who care about you.
  • Options
    I used to work with a lady,her daughter was so obviously in a gay relationship,but she just refused to accept it and looked for every silver lining that this was not the case.many years later,her daughter is living very happily with her civil partner,and they have 2 adorable children,and the whole family is very content.But at the time ,I could see the problems that gay people have in coming out,the thought that their parents may not accept the situation must be very distressing.Times are changing,being gay years ago was very difficult,now not so much.It still takes great courage to "come out",you just do not know how some people will react,especially those that you care about,and who care about you.
    There are still a lot of people who have issues with homosexuality - life is easier if you are straight.
  • Options
    Rothko said:

Spot on. It’s like some people think that if his teammates don’t start waving the rainbow flag, they’re complicit with homophobia. The fellas come out and it’s probably been known in wider circles for a while. Good luck to the fella. End of.
  • Options
    Rothko said:

Spot on. It’s like some people think that if his teammates don’t start waving the rainbow flag, they’re complicit with homophobia. The fellas come out and it’s probably been known in wider circles for a while. Good luck to the fella. End of.
    I suspect that there are at least a few footballers who are if not "openly" gay then known as such to their team mates even if they have not "come out" in public.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Rothko said:

I suspect that there are at least a few footballers who are if not "openly" gay then known as such to their team mates even if they have not "come out" in public.
    I agree.
  • Options
    So what has the reaction been like in the states?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!