Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gay Footballers

12346»

Comments

• Options
    So what has the reaction been like in the states?
    Positive. The NFL has also matched Nassib’s $100,000 donation to The Trevor Project. 

• Options
    So what has the reaction been like in the states?
    I haven’t seen any negative comment but it’s off season. There’s an interesting split in the NFL with a lot of younger players who just aren’t bothered by this, but an older coaching and ownership group who are very conservative. Publicly they won’t say anything bad, but it’s hard to know what’s happening behind the scenes. As one commentator said yesterday, we may have to wait until he retires to find out what the real reaction was like. 

How fans react is another unknown - but as he’s not a skill player, it’s not going to be easy for large groups to obviously target him when he’s on the field. 
  • Options
    Weatherfield County's star striker, James Bailey, has just publicly come out. Expect many more to follow.
  • Options
    Weatherfield County's star striker, James Bailey, has just publicly come out. Expect many more to follow.
    So glad I had to Google who Weathefield County are. 
  • Options
    How tall is he?
  • Options
    I was at Welling many years ago watching a reserve game & a man I knew to talk about  football with - he had been a manager in non-league & at that time still had some involvement in the game - told me that one of our players was gay. Said player was married but I did have my suspicions about him 🤫
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The general social opinion and acceptance of the LGBT community has changed dramatically for the better in the past decade or so, but sport is lagging behind. I believe it is almost entirely because of the chanting and abuse they'd get from opposing fans. And the chanting won't go away either, as anything a fan can latch onto they will, whether it's someone's sexual orientation, their haircut, whether the player had consent or not, if they've recently had a parent die, most things aren't off limits it seems, and being gay most certainly won't be for the majority of fans.
    People said the same about racist chanting but you hardly ever hear that now even though you can hear individual racist comments. Attitudes change and opposition to abusive chanting has grown. We're, as a sport, further behind on homophobia than racism IMHO. In part that is changing attitudes in society but also that having black players is the norm now. Still work to be done though. BTW Charlton had a director on the FAs tackling homophobia group over 10 years ago. As ever, we're way ahead of the game.
    Actually, they had a fan at the inaugural FA meeting about homophobia, a meeting of just 10 people, at Lancaster Gate 20 years ago! 

Same fan used to advocate for such things as having a red, white and rainbow day and was strongly out spoken on CL on homophobic and sexist chants and comments on match days. Same fan got labelled as a “WUM” and incurred the wrath of certain cliques, eventually leading to him act rather recklessly and get banned!

Now it’s firmly on the agenda and everyone is having a rational (in the main) conversation about such issues.

He told you so!
  • Options
    Great courage and maturity for a lad aged only 17.

Still can’t get my head around the fact that it took over 30 years tor this to happen. 
  • Options
    well done lad, huge amount of courage to do that.

good luck to him
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!