Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FIFA Ban The Poppy

Comments

• Options
    The English badge itself is a political symbol - the Lions and the Rose are Heraldic symbols for the Royal Family. Republicans take note.
  • Options
    How about they design the Goal-Nets a snazzy red design like a flower with a black dot in the middle? ;)
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

The English badge itself is a political symbol - the Lions and the Rose are Heraldic symbols for the Royal Family. Republicans take note.

Don't you mean 'Fifa take note'?
  • Options
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than permission, and this should have been the approach taken by both FAs. They would have known what fifa's stance would've been well ahead of time.
  • Options
    Seeing that they accepted last time (2011) surely means they cant decline this time?

Wonder if this is truly to do with the Poppy or whether it's to do with the English and United States FA's for exposing FIFA last year
  • Options

Tht is because Fifa is run by a Swiss and the Swiss are in bed with Germans and they are still bitter about the the two wars.

Dont forget the World Cup... Do Dah Do Dah ;)
  • Options

Tht is because Fifa is run by a Swiss and the Swiss are in bed with Germans and they are still bitter about the the two wars.

Dont forget the World Cup... Do Dah Do Dah ;)
    Didn't think you was old enough :wink: .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just checking, CL: what do YOU wear the poppy for?

a) The tragedy of the courageous millions sent to slaughter in the name of Empire and Rule, that we might learn from this bitter time and strive as a world never to repeat it
    b) Engerland
    c) I believe we should live under martial law (see also: b)
  • Options
    Excellent decision if only for the fact it winds up the mentally retarded Sun reading 'patriots' on here.

Some of them love England so much they don't even live there......
  • Options

iainment said:

Fiiish said:

iainment said:

Fiiish said:

FIFA deciding that the poppy is a political symbol is in and of itself a political act. Thought they were meant to be politically neutral?

FIFA haven't decided the poppy is a political symbol. They just recognised that it is. And applied their rules. That's all.
    Well it's not. Look up the definition of 'political' and it is pretty obvious that wearing a poppy does not fall under that category.

Now it could be considered a cultural symbol, which is something else entirely.
    If it isn't political why the vapours about wearing it? For some it is a way of showing support for UK military adventurism over the years.
    Is that what you think then?
    Yes.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

The stupid thing is this should not be an issue at all, and so-called 'poppy fascism' or 'anti-poppy' nonsense always without fail dominates the news cycle this time of year, as opposed to, you know, the actual reason why poppies are even a symbol in the first place.

If you want to wear a poppy, then you should be allowed to wear one without rebuke.

If you don't want to wear a poppy, then you should be allowed to do so without rebuke.

Stop giving pointless column inches to poppy burners, that wally James McClean, Jon Snow, or whether Corbyn or whoever should be wearing a poppy.

If you're annoyed over whether or not someone else is wearing a flower, then you're the one with the problem.

I agree with you completely.
  • Options
    Everyone - If you've got something to say, say it quickly, as this thread will presumably be gone in about three hours.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

a) The tragedy of the courageous millions sent to slaughter in the name of Empire and Rule, that we might learn from this bitter time and strive as a world never to repeat it
    b) Engerland

I don't wear a poppy.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Uboat said:

Everyone - If you've got something to say, say it quickly, as this thread will presumably be gone in about three hours.

I can't see it lasting that long mate, based on last night's events.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

b) Engerland

I don't wear a poppy. Apart from anything else, experience tells me it always falls off approximately 10 minutes after you've put it on. (I notice this year they've got wrist bands and other things). BUT I do donate to the British Legion which, of course, runs the appeal and supports ex-service people.

Wearing one is the same as wearing any other charity's symbol. Like the little men for the prostate cancer charity which seem to be compulsory wear for football managers and the like.

But while the poppies on football shirts thing is harmless, (don't the shirts tend to be auctioned off for the Legion's coffers?), I do find those little enamel joint club badge/poppy badges a bit odd and a tacky affectation.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Uboat said:

The fact that both sides want to wear the same thing means that common sense should be applied, though of course it won't be.
    I do understand why FIFA don't want the precedent though, as a few well chosen symbols would certainly liven up some games, e.g. former Yugoslavia.

Technically the poppies worn by the English and Scottish are different but I take your point.

I think it's nonsense from FIFA and I'm sure a compromise could be found.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Excellent decision if only for the fact it winds up the mentally retarded Sun reading 'patriots' on here.

Some of them love England so much they don't even live there......

Told ya, here we go;

• Options
    Can anyone else hear the countdown music?
  • Options

iainment said:

Fiiish said:

iainment said:

Fiiish said:

FIFA deciding that the poppy is a political symbol is in and of itself a political act. Thought they were meant to be politically neutral?

FIFA haven't decided the poppy is a political symbol. They just recognised that it is. And applied their rules. That's all.
    Well it's not. Look up the definition of 'political' and it is pretty obvious that wearing a poppy does not fall under that category.

If it isn't political why the vapours about wearing it? For some it is a way of showing support for UK military adventurism over the years.
    What a load of tosh!! How we mock what we don't understand!

And for others it represents respect for those who fought against tyranny and died to give others freedom! In particular WW1, where the poppy concept was born 'In Flanders Fields'. Have a read of Lt Col John McCrae's poem and maybe even get yourself over to the Ypres Salient for a visit. You may even find it educational and humbling!

PS: Yes, I am ex-military and yes, you got my back up! Good work.
    So it means different things to different people. That's the problem isn't it.
  • Options

iainment said:

Fiiish said:

iainment said:

Fiiish said:

What a load of tosh!! How we mock what we don't understand!

And for others it represents respect for those who fought against tyranny and died to give others freedom! In particular WW1, where the poppy concept was born 'In Flanders Fields'. Have a read of Lt Col John McCrae's poem and maybe even get yourself over to the Ypres Salient for a visit. You may even find it educational and humbling!

PS: Yes, I am ex-military and yes, you got my back up! Good work.
    You think the First World War was a fight for freedom?
    From what?
    And if you say 'Prussian militarism' I'll know you're pissing about.
  • Options
    What a load of bollocks. The annual CL poppy debate with the expected combatants sniffing around each others arses for a chance to bite and longing for justified offence.
  • Options
    iainment said:

Fiiish said:

iainment said:

Fiiish said:

It is only political because of those from the left who want to make a political debate out of it.