Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FIFA Ban The Poppy

Comments

• Options
    se9addick said:

Am I right in thinking FIFA was on its knees financially after one of the world wars and was kept afloat by a charity match between England and Scotland ?

Yes, I think your Google search was right
  • Options

se9addick said:

Am I right in thinking FIFA was on its knees financially after one of the world wars and was kept afloat by a charity match between England and Scotland ?

Yes, I think your Google search was right
    ?
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

If government can find the money to cover the cost of war, they should find a way to cover the cost of what is the result of war.

I really don't see what this has got to do with remembering 16 year olds getting mown down by machine guns 100 years ago.

This idea that everyone who wears a poppy or believes in wearing a poppy somehow agrees with government foreign policies over the years is unique to say the least.
    I think it was more a comment on the fact that if our government paid fully for all treatment and care of armed forces personnel injured in the line of duty, then the RBL would have no reason to sell poppies, at least from a fund-raising perspective, unless the RBL decided to instead transfer to supporting another cause (such as those injured or killed due to British military action).

The poppy does not just mean remembering the waste of life that was the First World War to most people, for some people it is commemorating all those injured or killed in warfare, past and present.
    That's exactly how I read it. And agree entirely.

FIFA don't seem to see using virtual slave labour to build stadia in the desert as a "political" act though?

As for the argument about it not being the choice of individual players; I see it as the choice of their (part-time) employers to adorn their uniform to show support for a cause, they are representing the FA and the SFA who in turn want to remember the war dead and support the British Legion. I am fairly sure most players would be happy with it anyway, if any of them felt so anti the cause, it's fairly easy to quietly claim injury.
  • Options

Fiiish said:

If government can find the money to cover the cost of war, they should find a way to cover the cost of what is the result of war.

I really don't see what this has got to do with remembering 16 year olds getting mown down by machine guns 100 years ago.

This idea that everyone who wears a poppy or believes in wearing a poppy somehow agrees with government foreign policies over the years is unique to say the least.
    I think it was more a comment on the fact that if our government paid fully for all treatment and care of armed forces personnel injured in the line of duty, then the RBL would have no reason to sell poppies, at least from a fund-raising perspective, unless the RBL decided to instead transfer to supporting another cause (such as those injured or killed due to British military action).

The poppy does not just mean remembering the waste of life that was the First World War to most people, for some people it is commemorating all those injured or killed in warfare, past and present.

FIFA don't seem to see using virtual slave labour to build stadia in the desert as a "political" act though?

As for the argument about it not being the choice of individual players; I see it as the choice of their (part-time) employers to adorn their uniform to show support for a cause, they are representing the FA and the SFA who in turn want to remember the war dead and support the British Legion. I am fairly sure most players would be happy with it anyway, if any of them felt so anti the cause, it's fairly easy to quietly claim injury.
    Re: FIFA - well no argument, FIFA are a bunch of odious shits filled with duplicitous toadies who have a massive chip on their shoulder against the British. You only have to look at their vindictive attitude towards our journalists, as well as their anti-British propaganda film that attempted to portray Brits as backwards, elitist racists. I imagine their decision to ban the poppy is almost entirely based on their hatred for the UK for than anything else.

Re: forcing players to wear it, I disagree. Whilst it is not a political symbol, some players mistakenly believe it is one. The RBL themselves insist no one should be forced to wear a poppy.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Re: FIFA - well no argument, FIFA are a bunch of odious shits filled with duplicitous toadies who have a massive chip on their shoulder against the British. You only have to look at their vindictive attitude towards our journalists, as well as their anti-British propaganda film that attempted to portray Brits as backwards, elitist racists. I imagine their decision to ban the poppy is almost entirely based on their hatred for the UK for than anything else.

Re: forcing players to wear it, I disagree. Whilst it is not a political symbol, some players mistakenly believe it is one. The RBL themselves insist no one should be forced to wear a poppy.
    Fair comment Fiiish. :smile:
  • Options

iainment said:

Fiiish said:

iainment said:

Fiiish said:

FIFA deciding that the poppy is a political symbol is in and of itself a political act. Thought they were meant to be politically neutral?

FIFA haven't decided the poppy is a political symbol. They just recognised that it is. And applied their rules. That's all.
    Well it's not. Look up the definition of 'political' and it is pretty obvious that wearing a poppy does not fall under that category.

Now it could be considered a cultural symbol, which is something else entirely.
    If it isn't political why the vapours about wearing it? For some it is a way of showing support for UK military adventurism over the years.
    What a load of tosh!! How we mock what we don't understand!

And for others it represents respect for those who fought against tyranny and died to give others freedom! In particular WW1, where the poppy concept was born 'In Flanders Fields'. Have a read of Lt Col John McCrae's poem and maybe even get yourself over to the Ypres Salient for a visit. You may even find it educational and humbling!

PS: Yes, I am ex-military and yes, you got my back up! Good work.
    You have made the rather absurd assumption that anybody who disagrees with you can't have read McCrae's poem or have visited the Ypres Salient. I disagree with your point of view. I have read the poem and I cannot even begin to count the number of days I have spent on the Ypres Salient, but it is certainly in excess of 250 days. You also imply that all ex-military personel would by insulted by anybody who didn't share your point of view. I am not ex-forces but I read your post out to my oldest mate, ex 40 Commando RM, 4 tours of Ireland and Falklands veteran, cue gales of derisive laughter.
  • Options

iainment said:

Fiiish said:

iainment said:

Fiiish said:

FIFA deciding that the poppy is a political symbol is in and of itself a political act. Thought they were meant to be politically neutral?

FIFA haven't decided the poppy is a political symbol. They just recognised that it is. And applied their rules. That's all.
    Well it's not. Look up the definition of 'political' and it is pretty obvious that wearing a poppy does not fall under that category.

Now it could be considered a cultural symbol, which is something else entirely.
    If it isn't political why the vapours about wearing it? For some it is a way of showing support for UK military adventurism over the years.
    What a load of tosh!! How we mock what we don't understand!

And for others it represents respect for those who fought against tyranny and died to give others freedom! In particular WW1, where the poppy concept was born 'In Flanders Fields'. Have a read of Lt Col John McCrae's poem and maybe even get yourself over to the Ypres Salient for a visit. You may even find it educational and humbling!

PS: Yes, I am ex-military and yes, you got my back up! Good work.
    You have made the rather absurd assumption that anybody who disagrees with you can't have read McCrae's poem or have visited the Ypres Salient. I disagree with your point of view. I have read the poem and I cannot exactly calculate the number of days I have spent on the Ypres Salient, but it is certainly in excess of 200 days. You also imply that all ex-military personel would by insulted by anybody who didn't share your point of view. I am not ex-forces but I read your post out to my oldest mate, ex 40 Commando RM, 4 tours of Ireland and Falklands veteran, cue gales of derisive laughter.

You are perfectly entitled to your personal point on this or any other subject and use your own knowledge and experience inform that view. However, please don't assume that people who disagree with you do not have knowledge and experiences of their own and have used these to come to different conclusions.
  • Options

The problem being when a generation who fought in world wars finally dies out those who never lived through the hardship fail to recognise the sacrifices made

The wars since ww1 and ww2 do not to many feel like wars because of the way it's fed via the media and a like

Every service man or woman who falls every animal in service who fall

Every single person or animal who live with the aftermath of the war or service they have given should be recognised by those they gave their duty and service for ,

You don't have to wear one you don't have to contribute I don't pas judgment on those that don't wear them unless they make public statements about why they choose not to

However people making these decisions and trying to make the poppy a statement of political point scoring all that will end up happening is reducing the funding that is there to assist those who are impacted by the service they gave

Wear your poppy with pride pay your respects and thanks to those who served and never forget the sacrifices given

Is that too much to ask that people just pay respect to the families that suffer daily and those no longer here

Well put. Should make it unnecessary for anything more to be said on the subject.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Theresa May having none of FIFA's nonsense during PMQ's !
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Wow, who said it wasn't political?
  • Options
    Stig said:

se9addick said:

Wow, who said it wasn't political?
    I said the the Poppy weren't the political, the decision is completely political.
  • Options
    If something is so easily politicised that at 24 hours notice it gets discussed in the HoC, FIFA surely made the right decision.
  • Options
    Stig said:

If something is so easily politicised that at 24 hours notice it gets discussed in the HoC, FIFA surely made the right decision.

if anything it is fifa that has made this political, Teresa May probably didnt even know when the game was until fifa blocked the poppy on shirts
  • Options
    They let the ROI wear shirts/emblems commemorating The Easter uprising, if that's not political I don't know what is.
    They don't know their arse from their elbow
  • Options
    Stig said:

Just because a politician says something about a subject doesn't always mean that subject is political.
  • Options
    http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/euro2016/anger-at-republic-of-ireland-teams-easter-rising-tribute-shirt-34506231.html

that's a news article on it, the only thing i can say is the matches were friendly matches where as this is a world cup qualifier admittedly i dont know what that makes a difference.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    DA9 said:

They let the ROI wear shirts/emblems commemorating The Easter uprising, if that's not political I don't know what is.

I think Ireland used these shirts in friendly matches, they didn't used them in the Euros as it was run by UFEA, and haven't worn them in any FIFA WC games.
  • Options
    I thought all international matches came under the umbrella of FIFA, as Sunday league park football comes under the FA umbrella?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DA9 said:

I thought all international matches came under the umbrella of FIFA, as Sunday league park football comes under the FA umbrella?

That is correct.
  • Options
    They have some huge balls telling other federations what to do after the corruption scandal FIFA have been through!
  • Options
    DA9 said:

i blame the Irish for this hole sorry situation.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    arent the same rulings freindlies and world cup qaulifiers are they?, so possibly could be why, really dont get who would be offended by a poppy and cant imagine anyone in the england, wales, Scotland squad wouldn't wear one, even celtic have them on there shirts which are the most one of the most irish supported clubs outside of ireland

35,000 irish died in the wars and 200,000 went to war.
  • Options
    from 9/11/2011

FIFA have refused to back down on their decision to ban England from wearing poppy emblems on their shirts for their friendly against Spain on Saturday -­ the day before Remembrance Sunday.
    Despite an outcry from war veterans and charities after they refused a request from the Football Association, the world game's governing body insisted they could make no exceptions to their kit rules.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2058089/Outrage-FIFA-reject-England-poppy-plea-face-war-veterans-complaints.html#ixzz4OrGLcTVP
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
  • Options
    Ireland took on the Swiss at Aviva Stadium on Friday night with a shirt featuring a special crest that commemorated the 100th anniversary of the 1916 Rising.
    Uefa had given Ireland the all-clear to wear the one-off badge but it seems some Swiss officials at the game raised the matter with Uefa in recent days as they felt it broke the regulations regarding ‘political messages’ in the game.

Article 14, sub section 7 of Uefa’s Disciplinary Regulations states that ‘All forms of ideological, political and religious propaganda are forbidden’.
  • Options
    What I do not understand is that this issue occurred in 2011 and they allowed us to wear arm bands.

Why has this now changed?
  • Options

What I do not understand is that this issue occurred in 2011 and they allowed us to wear arm bands.

Why has this now changed?

Brexit, the rest of Europe hate us.
  • Options
    What I don't get is why they are still discussing it.

The local FA's should just do what they want and say bollocks to FIFA.

Surely the precident has already been set re the small fine handed to Argentina re the Falklands banner?!?