Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FIFA Ban The Poppy

Comments

• Options
    So if the Americans wanted to wear armbands to commemorate 9/11 victims, presumably this would also be banned?
  • Options
    Prime Minister Theresa May says Fifa's apparent refusal to allow England and Scotland players to wear armbands featuring poppies is "outrageous".

The two teams will meet at Wembley on 11 November, the day when the United Kingdom remembers its war dead.

World governing body Fifa reiterated its ban on political, religious or commercial messages on shirts.

"Before they start telling us what to do, they jolly well ought to sort their own house out," said Mrs May.

"Our football players want to recognise and respect those who have given their lives for our safety and security - I think it is absolutely right they should be able to do so."

You tell em Theresa!
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

So if the Americans wanted to wear armbands to commemorate 9/11 victims, presumably this would also be banned?

No because it isn't on the shirt and just like last time when this came up England wore armbands with poppies on.

This is exactly the same as what happened 5 years ago, FIFA haven't banned poppies but this all makes good copy for the tabloids.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Fiiish said:

No because it isn't on the shirt and just like last time when this came up England wore armbands with poppies on.

This is exactly the same as what happened 5 years ago, FIFA haven't banned poppies but this all makes good copy for the tabloids.
    Scotland have also worn armbands with poppies on.

i think as we both want to wear poppies we asked together to have them on the shirts this time and that has been refused.

I don't think Fifa has said no to the armbands (not even sure we have asked yet?)
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Fiiish said:

As a supporter of ROI and supporter of James Mclean's choice not to wear one, it does seem like double standards if Ireland were allowed permission to have a the emblem celebrating the easter rising on their shirt but England and Scotland don't have the permission to play with a poppy on their shirts. Whether it's right or wrong, whether it should be down the the individual etc it seems yet again Fifa are getting it wrong by getting involved and not allowing it.
  • Options
    I'm sure I also read something saying that armbands had also been refused?!?
  • Options

I'm sure I also read something saying that armbands had also been refused?!?

oh, i might have it the wrong way round then.

i know wales were also asking so it might be them that wanted it on the shirts and us the armbands
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

Fiiish said:

As a supporter of ROI and supporter of James Mclean's choice not to wear one, it does seem like double standards if Ireland were allowed permission to have a the emblem celebrating the easter rising on their shirt but England and Scotland don't have the permission to play with a poppy on their shirts. Whether it's right or wrong, whether it should be down the the individual etc it seems yet again Fifa are getting it wrong by getting involved and not allowing it.
    Was that because it wasn't a FIFA match though?

Personally I'm not fussed about poppies, likewise I have nothing against people who choose to wear them. I can understand FIFAs stance here as it could set a precedent and at least this way they are remaining neutral. The compromise last time was the armbands so just do the same again. Problem solved.
  • Options

What I do not understand is that this issue occurred in 2011 and they allowed us to wear arm bands.

Why has this now changed?

The fact that along with the United States we helped to expose FIFA!!
  • Options

What I do not understand is that this issue occurred in 2011 and they allowed us to wear arm bands.

Why has this now changed?

The fact that along with the United States we helped to expose FIFA!!
    I think Sepp Blatter exposed himself (allegedly).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Fiiish said:

If you don't want to wear a poppy, then you should be allowed to do so without rebuke.

Stop giving pointless column inches to poppy burners, that wally James McClean, Jon Snow, or whether Corbyn or whoever should be wearing a poppy.

If you're annoyed over whether or not someone else is wearing a flower, then you're the one with the problem.

Why is James McClean a wally?

If you don't want to wear a poppy, then you should be allowed to do so without rebuke
    Spot On GA.
    If any of us were born in the Creggan like McClean, or the bogside, Brandywell or similar would we wear the poppy ?
    James McClean said if it just represented the dead in the two World wars he would wear a poppy but because of bloody Sunday it is impossible for him.

Did our Families not fight for freedom of choice as much as stopping a Tyrant in the different conflicts the UK has got immersed in over the last 100 years ? I prefer a wristband to remember the dead but some years i will wear a poppy.

FIFA may have the wrong end of the stick on the poppy, but as others have said the complex situation in The Balkans means the different symbols they display doesn't just mean honouring the dead.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

Fiiish said:

Personally I'm not fussed about poppies, likewise I have nothing against people who choose to wear them. I can understand FIFAs stance here as it could set a precedent and at least this way they are remaining neutral. The compromise last time was the armbands so just do the same again. Problem solved.
    I believe someone has touched upon it and all international friendly matches are affiliated to FIFA.
  • Options

Prime Minister Theresa May says Fifa's apparent refusal to allow England and Scotland players to wear armbands featuring poppies is "outrageous".

The two teams will meet at Wembley on 11 November, the day when the United Kingdom remembers its war dead.

World governing body Fifa reiterated its ban on political, religious or commercial messages on shirts.

"Before they start telling us what to do, they jolly well ought to sort their own house out," said Mrs May.

"Our football players want to recognise and respect those who have given their lives for our safety and security - I think it is absolutely right they should be able to do so."

You tell em Theresa!

Except, is it our footballers ? Did our footballers request the wearing of poppies on the England shirts ?
    They may have but I somehow doubt it.
  • Options

Yeah......James McClean is a real trooper.

How he manages to bury his pain and work over in England every week shows true inner strength.

You're really not getting this are you?
  • Options
    Obviously not.
  • Options
    The latest is we have also been refused poppies on armbands, but we're suggesting we're going ahead in some shape or form regardless.
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

Fiiish said:

I believe someone has touched upon it and all international friendly matches are affiliated to FIFA.
    Are they? Surely these games would overseen by
  • Options
    iainment said:

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

Fiiish said:

UEFA as they were European games. Maybe UEFA take a different level of interest and the Irish just got away with it.
  • Options

Fiiish said:

If you don't want to wear a poppy, then you should be allowed to do so without rebuke.

Stop giving pointless column inches to poppy burners, that wally James McClean, Jon Snow, or whether Corbyn or whoever should be wearing a poppy.

If you're annoyed over whether or not someone else is wearing a flower, then you're the one with the problem.

If you don't want to wear a poppy, then you should be allowed to do so without rebuke
    Spot On GA.
    If any of us were born in the Creggan like McClean, or the bogside, Brandywell or similar would we wear the poppy ?
    James McClean said if it just represented the dead in the two World wars he would wear a poppy but because of bloody Sunday it is impossible for him.

Did our Families not fight for freedom of choice as much as stopping a Tyrant in the different conflicts the UK has got immersed in over the last 100 years ? I prefer a wristband to remember the dead but some years i will wear a poppy.

FIFA may have the wrong end of the stick on the poppy, but as others have said the complex situation in The Balkans means the different symbols they display doesn't just mean honouring the dead.
    Except the poppy has literally nothing to do with Bloody Sunday or honouring living soldiers.

Funny how he has a problem with the poppy yet thinks speeding without a driver's licence is OK.

I'm not having a pop at him because he chooses not to wear the poppy, which I have already defended anyway, I just don't find his stated reasons for doing so logically consistent.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iainment said:

iainment said:

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

Fiiish said:

UEFA as they were European games. Maybe UEFA take a different level of interest and the Irish just got away with it.
    That was my thought.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Spot On GA.

Except the poppy has literally nothing to do with Bloody Sunday or honouring living soldiers.

Funny how he has a problem with the poppy yet thinks speeding without a driver's licence is OK.

I'm not having a pop at him because he chooses not to wear the poppy, which I have already defended anyway, I just don't find his stated reasons for doing so logically consistent.
    I think the attitude is more against what the British Army did during the troubles. He is within his rights to choose not to wear one and if his decision is based on what happened where he is from then that's his decision and I don't think people can question his own personal justification for doing so.
  • Options
    iainment said:

iainment said:

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

Fiiish said:

I did a quick google search (very quick) and it appeared to be FIFA.
  • Options

The latest is we have also been refused poppies on armbands, but we're suggesting we're going ahead in some shape or form regardless.

it's all part of our master plan, we tell England that we will stand united on this and to get poppies on the shirts then when they come out for kick off we are poppy free.

after the match we demand that England are deducted points for bringing the game into disrepute for their own political gain.

unfortunately we still wont qualify...

seriously, i really hope that the SFA, FA and FAW all go ahead with their plans to wear poppies.
  • Options

You tell em Theresa!

Except, is it our footballers ? Did our footballers request the wearing of poppies on the England shirts ?
    They may have but I somehow doubt it.
    They should be made to wear them regardless, most of the them would be speaking German instead of earning obscene amounts of money if it was not for those that gave their lives in the wars.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Spot On GA.

Actually the poppy does have a lot to do with living ex-soldiers. The money raised by the appeal goes mainly to ex service personel. That may well, in fact probably does, include soldiers involved in Derry in 1972.
  • Options
    Mametz said:

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Spot On GA.

Actually the poppy does have a lot to do with living ex-soldiers. The money raised by the appeal goes mainly to ex service personel. That may well, in fact probably does, include soldiers involved in Derry in 1972.
    The Poppy Appeal, yes. The Remembrance Poppy, not so much.
  • Options
    I can see FIFA coming down hard on any of the home nations that choose to wear a poppy on their shirts, by means of a points deduction in their WC groups.
  • Options
    Let them - it will make our group more interesting.
  • Options

I can see FIFA coming down hard on any of the home nations that choose to wear a poppy on their shirts, by means of a points deduction in their WC groups.

They are a ridiculous organisation but i don't believe even they would go that far.