Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FIFA Ban The Poppy

Comments

• Options

I can see FIFA coming down hard on any of the home nations that choose to wear a poppy on their shirts, by means of a points deduction in their WC groups.

Absolutely no chance. Not after all the shit Serbia and Croatia have got away with over the recent years.
  • Options

I can see FIFA coming down hard on any of the home nations that choose to wear a poppy on their shirts, by means of a points deduction in their WC groups.

Absolutely no chance. Not after all the shit Serbia and Croatia have got away with over the recent years.
    We would still qualify and then let the country down
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited November 2016

Fuck em, it's a corrupt tournament anyway, and do it again in the year 2020 qualifiers as well for the next corrupt tournament.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Mametz said:

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

If you don't want to wear a poppy, then you should be allowed to do so without rebuke.

Stop giving pointless column inches to poppy burners, that wally James McClean, Jon Snow, or whether Corbyn or whoever should be wearing a poppy.

If you're annoyed over whether or not someone else is wearing a flower, then you're the one with the problem.

Why is James McClean a wally?

If you don't want to wear a poppy, then you should be allowed to do so without rebuke
    Spot On GA.
    If any of us were born in the Creggan like McClean, or the bogside, Brandywell or similar would we wear the poppy ?
    James McClean said if it just represented the dead in the two World wars he would wear a poppy but because of bloody Sunday it is impossible for him.

Did our Families not fight for freedom of choice as much as stopping a Tyrant in the different conflicts the UK has got immersed in over the last 100 years ? I prefer a wristband to remember the dead but some years i will wear a poppy.

FIFA may have the wrong end of the stick on the poppy, but as others have said the complex situation in The Balkans means the different symbols they display doesn't just mean honouring the dead.
    Except the poppy has literally nothing to do with Bloody Sunday or honouring living soldiers.

Funny how he has a problem with the poppy yet thinks speeding without a driver's licence is OK.

I'm not having a pop at him because he chooses not to wear the poppy, which I have already defended anyway, I just don't find his stated reasons for doing so logically consistent.
    Actually the poppy does have a lot to do with living ex-soldiers. The money raised by the appeal goes mainly to ex service personel. That may well, in fact probably does, include soldiers involved in Derry in 1972.
    The Poppy Appeal, yes. The Remembrance Poppy, not so much.
    I am not sure I understand you. The poppy was selected by the British Legion after WW1 as their symbol and it remains that it's main purpose is to raise funds to help ex service personel and their families who have served ever since. This includes those who served in Northern Ireland during the troubles there. I am not aware that there is a separate Rembrance Poppy that excludes veterans of that conflict.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Mametz said:

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

If you don't want to wear a poppy, then you should be allowed to do so without rebuke.

Stop giving pointless column inches to poppy burners, that wally James McClean, Jon Snow, or whether Corbyn or whoever should be wearing a poppy.

If you're annoyed over whether or not someone else is wearing a flower, then you're the one with the problem.

Why is James McClean a wally?

If you don't want to wear a poppy, then you should be allowed to do so without rebuke
    Spot On GA.
    If any of us were born in the Creggan like McClean, or the bogside, Brandywell or similar would we wear the poppy ?
    James McClean said if it just represented the dead in the two World wars he would wear a poppy but because of bloody Sunday it is impossible for him.

Did our Families not fight for freedom of choice as much as stopping a Tyrant in the different conflicts the UK has got immersed in over the last 100 years ? I prefer a wristband to remember the dead but some years i will wear a poppy.

FIFA may have the wrong end of the stick on the poppy, but as others have said the complex situation in The Balkans means the different symbols they display doesn't just mean honouring the dead.
    Except the poppy has literally nothing to do with Bloody Sunday or honouring living soldiers.

Funny how he has a problem with the poppy yet thinks speeding without a driver's licence is OK.

I'm not having a pop at him because he chooses not to wear the poppy, which I have already defended anyway, I just don't find his stated reasons for doing so logically consistent.
    Actually the poppy does have a lot to do with living ex-soldiers. The money raised by the appeal goes mainly to ex service personel. That may well, in fact probably does, include soldiers involved in Derry in 1972.
    The Poppy Appeal, yes. The Remembrance Poppy, not so much.
    I am not sure I understand you. The poppy was selected by the British Legion after WW1 as their symbol and it remains that it's main purpose is to raise funds to help ex service personel and their families who have served ever since. This includes those who served in Northern Ireland during the troubles there. I am not aware that there is a separate Rembrance Poppy that excludes veterans of that conflict.
  • Options
    £31 million raised last year.
    Wonderful.
  • Options
    I will be wearing my poppy with pride at Wembley, next week and making a significant contribution to the RBL. All Fifa have done is make me want to donate more to RBL.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scotland are wearing the poppy
  • Options
    England and Scotland will both wear the poppy in a black arm band
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

I don't need to wear a poppy to remember my grandmother's brother, her cousins and nephew all of whom died in the two World Wars.

However I will. Others can make their own choices. In some ways, the fact that choice exists means they didn't die in vain.

And that's the nub of the matter. I know some find my opinion difficult but it's having the choice that is most important.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    I agree FIFA's stance is completely wrong and it should be allowed. As an alternative why don't they just lay a wreath in the centre circle and do a minutes silence, I guess that's allowed.
  • Options
    As long as low paid workers are dying whilst building the state of the art stadia in Qatar that's alright. Fucking hypocrisy stinks from this bunch of money grabbing whores.
  • Options
    IT_Andy said:

I agree FIFA's stance is completely wrong and it should be allowed. As an alternative why don't they just lay a reef in the centre circle and do a minutes silence, I guess that's allowed.

A reef?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2016
    I blame the regime. Not sure why yet, but allow me some "space" to work on this theory.
  • Options
    iainment said:

IT_Andy said:

I agree FIFA's stance is completely wrong and it should be allowed. As an alternative why don't they just lay a reef in the centre circle and do a minutes silence, I guess that's allowed.

A reef?
    would imagine he means wreath.
  • Options
    I am pretty much opposed to everything Theresa May stands for, but yesterday she got it right.
  • Options
    Well I bought my poppy this morning. Call me fickle but I'm always late to the party to get one but my eye was caught by the Armed Forces at Cannon Street... as much as guy there does a great job, I made a beeline straight for a nice young soldier.

Be a lot of money made in London today - both stations I went through were packed and people were offloading cash.

http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/community/calendar/regional-events/london-poppy-day/