Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bristol Rovers v Charlton | Tue 22 Nov | 7:45pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Bristol Rovers v Charlton Athletic
Tuesday 22nd November 2016 … 7:45pm Kick-Off
Referee: Simon Hooper (Wiltshire)

Introduction

No time to sit back and enjoy the victory against Port Vale on Saturday… With another match on the horizon this Tuesday night as we approach the end of November proves a couple of points; December is almost here and with that month brings the enjoyable festive fixture period. Before we can look forward to a flurry of games in a few days, there are two more November games in our path, starting tomorrow night as we face the last of the newly promoted sides: Bristol Rovers

The Opposition
Name: Bristol Rovers | Manager: Darrell Clarke
Ground: Memorial Stadium

League Two often has dramatic ends to the season… Jimmy Glass for example scoring the goal that kept Carlisle from relegation in 1999 whilst last season saw the final automatic promotion spot heading towards Accrington Stanley, they only needed to equal at least the Bristol Rovers result and with both sides drawing their matches (Accrington against Stevenage and Bristol Rovers against Dagenham) it looked as though Stanley would be promoted… Up step Lee Brown for Bristol Rovers, after 92 minutes he’d score the winning goal for the Gas sending them into League One and Accrington into the Play-Offs!!

Since that memorable day in May; Bristol Rovers have continued their upward match, a slow start to life back in League one saw them lose twice in their first three games (albeit against Scunthorpe and Bolton) yet an impressive seven wins see them in 8th place and outside of the Play-Offs on Goal Difference whilst top scorer from last season: Matt Taylor has continued his good form with thirteen goals this time around.

Charlton Team News
With still no Manager confirmed; Kevin Nugent will no doubt take charge in the West Country tomorrow night, the Addicks were only really missing two players against Port Vale and whilst Ricky Holmes is injured for at least two months; Chris Solly could potentially make a return after missing out…

Jordan Botaka who has so long deserved a start, failed to get into the match on the weekend so will potentially start from the bench, whilst Josh Magennis came through Saturday fairly unscathed after dealing with a hamstring niggle; Louis Mendez who made his debut for Charlton should surely be dropped after being pretty invisible on the weekend with fans already questioning his 10-year Contract!!

Rudd
Foley | Bauer | Pearce | Fox
Lookman | Crofts | Ulvestad | Jackson
Magennis | Ajose

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Konsa | Teixeira | Lennon | Botaka | Hanlan | Novak

Prediction
Following our win against Port Vale on Saturday we once again sit just four points from the Play-Offs, for the last few weeks I’ve been saying that this squad seems to showing signs of gelling and victory tomorrow should be a distinct possibility for a side that is slowly showing confidence on the pitch.

Referee Watch
A feature I’ve been meaning to add for a while; Simon Hooper is a debatable choice coming from the same region as our opponents tomorrow. In sixteen games though, just one red card has been issued whilst 57-yellows have been dished out. Hooper took charge of two Charlton games last season, both coming at the Valley with Charlton losing 3-0 against Preston and 3-1 against Brighton.

Comments

• Options
    I think we will thrash them. Any less than 4-0 will be a disappointment.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    2 nil charlton rovers are up there welll up higher thenus but their form has taken an almighty dip.
  • Options

2 nil charlton rovers are up there welll up higher thenus but their form has taken an almighty dip.

One win in November which includes only one away fixture

http://www.statto.com/football/teams/bristol-rovers/2016-2017/results
  • Options

Very poor punctuation, but correct use of 'their' is pleasing to see.

1-0 Charlton win.
  • Options
    Don't think I'll make the 3pm kick off though :)
  • Options
    I found this story from a few weeks ago mildly amusing: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-37694950

Does Katrien eat at The Valley? Perhaps we could infiltrate the kitchen staff and start lacing her food with laxatives - apart from anything else, she'd do a lot less harm if she was stranded in the khazi all week.

The fact that we won on Saturday has reassured me that we won't get relegated this year - if you can play that poorly and win then you'd really have to go some to lose enough games to go down. Having said that, with Roland and Katrien's midas touch, there's seemingly no limit to the lows that can be achieved.

Could finish up tomorrow a point off the play-offs or 2 above the drop zone. 2 - 1 to Rovers.
  • Options

Don't think I'll make the 3pm kick off though :)

Disgusted with not only with myself (i.e. fair enough I usually mess up the title but never the actual preview like that) but also disgusted with you @BristolAddick, your FROM Bristol yet cant be bothered to get there at 3pm

Where's the dedication!! ;)
  • Options
    Jackson by all accounts was pretty anonymous on saturday, so not sure he should be playing a 2nd game in 4 days. Would much prefer younger legs especially away from home against a half decent side.

I get that Botaka couldn't really get into the game at the weekend but it's got to be difficult when you keep only getting a few minutes here and there, i'd give him a start to see what he can do.
  • Options

Jackson by all accounts was pretty anonymous on saturday, so not sure he should be playing a 2nd game in 4 days. Would much prefer younger legs especially away from home against a half decent side.

I get that Botaka couldn't really get into the game at the weekend but it's got to be difficult when you keep only getting a few minutes here and there, i'd give him a start to see what he can do.

To be fair on Botaka I probably have been harsh to him since the end of the Port Vale match.

He came on when Port Vale were mainly attacking us and did well not just keeping the ball but winning it back (i.e. on one occasion Botaka had three opponents surrounding him) and he wasnt the only one who couldnt make the ball stick.

Had we continued from our first-half showing I reckon Botaka would have been a LOT more threatening
  • Options

I thought the skipper was pretty effective on Saturday. Not the same outlet at lookman is but he cut inside well and was always the extra man in the box which allowed Magennis to get free for his goal. Faded a bit in the second half but I thought he was good.

With that lineup I'd like lookie to move up and make it more a 433.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    For those that were there, was Fox better because of JJ in front of him?
  • Options
    ross1 said:

Difficult to say... Fox was better on Saturday but was that because Jackson was ahead of him rather than Botaka / Holmes / Lookman was in front of him - Harsh on those three (and Fox really) to say it was only because of Jackson
  • Options
    Brizzle Ravers 0-1 Charlestown Athletes
  • Options

ross1 said:

Difficult to say... Fox was better on Saturday but was that because Jackson was ahead of him rather than Botaka / Holmes / Lookman was in front of him - Harsh on those three (and Fox really) to say it was only because of Jackson
    Pearce also covered well which, in my opinion, he hasn't always done.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

ross1 said:

Pearce also covered well which, in my opinion, he hasn't always done.
    To be honest Fox is probably the best of the lot when it comes to covering, countless times you'll see Bauer or Pearce coming out of position to make a challenge and whenever that happens; Fox is nearly always there at Centre Back to close the gap made
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    P-P Waterlogged pitch.....just a prediction.
  • Options
    It would normally look like an unchanged team, but there are a few other injuries around. Magennis was clearly not 100% on Saturday, and as Novak was spared (even Hanlan was preferred when the change was made) I wouldn't be surpised to see him start and Josh drop to the bench. Pearce also isn't fully fit, but he may continue. Lookman got a few whacks on Saturday, but hopefully he is OK and motivated. Jackson should be OK for an hour again.

Rudd
    Foley
    Bauer
    Pearce
    Fox
    Lookman
    Crofts
    Ulvestad
    Jackson
    Novak
    Ajose

Substitutes Bench: Phillips, Konsa, Teixeira, Lennon, Botaka, Hanlan, Magennis
  • Options

P-P Waterlogged pitch.

Match is in serious doubt. Parts of Bristol flooded this morning.
  • Options
    Are they nicknamed the gas or the pirates these days?
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

Are they nicknamed the gas or the pirates these days?

Both I think (wiki says so anyway)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gasholes must be the nickname Bristol City give em right?
  • Options
    I thought they were called the Gas because of some Gas works that used be behind the ground somewhere?
  • Options
    Bristol Rovers are riding on last seasons promotion - they still have confidence and are not (yet) used to losing. Bit like us in 2012-2013.

However, they are a weak team. Few of their players, Lawrence and Easter excepted, have expereince at a high level.

We should be able to get a result here. After all, on Saturday we started with 7 players with top flight/International experience and had 2 more on the bench if required.
  • Options

I thought they were called the Gas because of some Gas works that used be behind the ground somewhere?

I have a Bristol Rovers supporting mate, although Katrien wouldn't like him as he is old ie over 60, and 'Gas' is the nickname he always uses. I think you are correct too that the name originated as many fans worked at the gasworks close to Eastville their old ground.
  • Options
    Always preffered Bristol Rovers over Bristol City. No idea why though.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    My sole issue with Bristol Rovers is from the challenge on Basey a few years ago, another game had we won we'd have got 2nd at the end of the season.

Instead Dominic Bloody Blizzard decided to break his leg inside 3mins and break Basey's leg ending his career!!... Seemed to knock the stuffing out of us that challenge did as was on SKY and he didnt get sent off for it!!
  • Options
    It wasn't so much inside 3 minutes as inside 20 seconds. Still outrages me every time I think about Bristol Rovers
  • Options
    Solly came on for his debut because of Basey's injury and was rubbish. Then he became our most-loved player. Now he's injured maybe forever. HOW THE WHEEL TURNS
  • Options

P-P Waterlogged pitch.....just a prediction.

Not a bad call given the weather forecast for the west country today