Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bristol Rovers v Charlton | Tue 22 Nov | 7:45pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    Leuth said:

Basey became a fearsome club cricketer at least after his professional retirement

a while back there were several posts re club cricket .. many stated that Basey was a formidable cricketer .. some suggested better at cricket than at football ..
    he must still only be quite a young man
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

It would normally look like an unchanged team, but there are a few other injuries around. Magennis was clearly not 100% on Saturday, and as Novak was spared (even Hanlan was preferred when the change was made) I wouldn't be surpised to see him start and Josh drop to the bench. Pearce also isn't fully fit, but he may continue. Lookman got a few whacks on Saturday, but hopefully he is OK and motivated. Jackson should be OK for an hour again.

Rudd
    Foley
    Bauer
    Pearce
    Fox
    Lookman
    Crofts
    Ulvestad
    Jackson
    Novak
    Ajose

Substitutes Bench: Phillips, Konsa, Teixeira, Lennon, Botaka, Hanlan, Magennis

I don't think Novak was being spared for tomorrow, it was more Nugent making the (brave) call that Hanlan's pace and power would be more effective than Novak in that situation, and given better decision making by Hanlan he should have got the 3rd goal.

I imagine they'll start with the same team. Botaka didn't have his best game from the bench, and shifting him to the right and Lookman to the left probably didn't help Lookman (or Fox) either

If the game is postponed, maybe it'll be on 3rd round FA cup day if we're both out by then?
  • Options
    2-1 win, Ajose brace. Bristol Rovers have started wobbling lately and could be a perfect time to play them.
  • Options
    2-3 away win, Magennis, Ajose double
  • Options
    With our poor away form, lack of bodies and slow midfield, I think on a wet night we could be wishing it had been called off.

Not got the best feeling about this one, can see the best we can get as a 1-1 draw.
  • Options
    Tickets available on the gate?
  • Options
    Off to the match if its on but likely to be called off just hope it is before i set off..
  • Options
    They have goals in them but they are a bit vulnrable at the back too.
  • Options
    Last 2 games there we had Trevor Kettle who bottled a giving a red card to Blizzard for a criminal assult on Granty which in turn effected our perforamnce. And we and the following year there we had a dirty vile racist referee called Rob Lewis who sent off 2 of our black players for nothing offences and sent Chrissy Powell to the stand. Maybe if the game goes ahead we will have better luck with the ref but that said we have had our seasonal luck with the officials with Mark Haywood at Gillingham. We live in hope.
  • Options
    not sure we can quite confirm that racism accusation, but he was the fellow who as linesman didn't spot carroll spilling mendes' shot three feet over his own goalline for united against spurs that one time
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    yes, i just put a check on a racism accusation. it's 2016 and anything is possible
  • Options
    Leuth said:

not sure we can quite confirm that racism accusation, but he was the fellow who as linesman didn't spot carroll spilling mendes' shot three feet over his own goalline for united against spurs that one time

To be fair, he was 40 yards away from the incident. That's one that looks far more obvious on replays than it does at ground level in real time. It always looks more obvious when you have that high camera angle.

Not his finest moment, mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xowj6Qx78so
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    1-1 for me. Hopefully Super Kevin Nugent can name an unchanged team. Don't think he has much choice.

Kish and DickPlumb have both floated that Slade lost the dressing room. The Swindon performance would back that up (though we now know thanks to Rich Cawley that Solly's poor performance was due to him injuring his knee and playing on). I think not having Slade there has resulted in the shackles being at least loosened. I don't think Nugent is the long-term answer, but I do hope that he can get them playing more positively.

Whatever we think of what Slade did off the pitch with tablecloths and players' suits and whatnot, his ultimate job is to coach the team on the pitch. He had a 25% win record. His teams didn't play good football, and he made a lot of substitution mistakes. That resulted in us having dropped a lot of points from winning positions against some very mediocre teams--and it's worth noting that he's had a largely full strength squad most of the year. We're now set to play some of the better teams in the league with the injuries mounting and I suspect we're really going to rue not getting more from AFC Wimbledon, Rochdale, and Oldham at home and Oxford, Gillingham, and Swindon away (a total of three points from those games).
  • Options
    1-1 if it goes ahead. Due to personal reasons I will be unable to complete the match thread tonight.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Their song is Leadbelly's 'Goodnight Irene' which I have always thought is rather good.
    Apropos nothing, Leadbelly's was in prison (possibly for murder) and wrote the song named after the Governor's daughter and that got him released...or something like that. All very Shawshank Redemptionesque.
  • Options
    According to someone on the Charlton Facebook group Rudd is doubtful and Mitov has travelled as cover.

Explains why Mitov didn't play for the u23s yesterday.
  • Options
    I don't think this team are that far away from being a promotion contender. What we need in January is a central midfielder, left sided midfielder and cover at right back. We also need to sell/ give away some of the players who aren't going to play for us again. Ba, Texeira, Johnson, Watt, Vetokele.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

I don't think this team are that far away from being a promotion contender. What we need in January is a central midfielder, left sided midfielder and cover at right back. We also need to sell/ give away some of the players who aren't going to play for us again. Ba, Texeira, Johnson, Watt, Vetokele.

Want a Right sided Midfielder there too... at the moment it feels as though we've only got Holmes / Lookman / Botaka to take it in turns out on the wings so with one injured it'll give us decent backup.

Striker | Goalkeeper | Centre-Back | Left-Back are the only positions that dont need strengthening
  • Options
    We need a left sided midfielder who can also do some defensive duties. Lookman is better playing upfront and I would have Holmes on the right and the new man on the left and Lookman up top.
  • Options
    Makes you wonder what Freddie Bulot is up to... Looking at his performance data on TransferMarkt he got a knee injury in March, played 9mins against Lyon at the end of last season and hasn't played again since...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Will Botaka be away for the African nations cup? If he's away then we'll definitely need an extra wide player
  • Options
    After a modestly encouraging win I expect us to revert to form and put in a clueless one paced performance. 2-0 to the Black Arabs.
  • Options
    Heavy wet pitch will mean our ponderous midfield will be even more ineffective than usual if that's at all possible.

Rovers 2 - Charlton 0
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Will Botaka be away for the African nations cup? If he's away then we'll definitely need an extra wide player

Yes DR Congo have qualified... If he isnt called up I'll be shocked

They're in a Group with: Ivory Coast | Morocco | Togo... First game is the 16th January, last game for Congo (at the earliest) is 24th January whilst the Final if they were to reach it is the 5th February
  • Options
    He'll be away before that. I'm pretty sure it's a rule that players have to join up for pre tournament training camps plus there's probably a friendly or 2 before as well
  • Options
    Maybe he'll be Bulot.2 and come back from the ACN a world beater, firing us to automatic promotion...

• Options
    Ground number 81 today. Bring it on.
  • Options

Off to the match if its on but likely to be called off just hope it is before i set off..

Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial 4h4 hours ago
    Charlton Athletic FC Retweeted Bristol Rovers
    Based on the current weather forecast, Bristol Rovers do not have any concerns over their pitch for tonight's match. #cafc
  • Options
    ross1 said:

Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial 4h4 hours ago
    Charlton Athletic FC Retweeted Bristol Rovers
    Based on the current weather forecast, Bristol Rovers do not have any concerns over their pitch for tonight's match. #cafc
    Looking forward to "Nil Points" then... super!
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Ground number 81 today. Bring it on.

Great effort piddles well done