Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sports Personality of the Year 2016

Comments

• Options

iainment said:

Baffled that Froome isn't on the list.

Not popular with the public at large, and for that matter not very British! I wonder if the Wiggins allegations have tarnished the image (again) of endurance cycling
    More likely because his particular sport isn't covered by BBC tv...

It's why you get people like the Equestrian rider and yet not the Tour de France winner or Two-weight Boxing World Champion. Of the 3 which do you think the public cares about more?
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

iainment said:

Fully agreed
    Been on the list in the last two years and hasn't polled well, and his Britishness is questionable (he admits this too, hence you'll see him race here more next year)
  • Options
    Pleased for Ranieri, very well deserved and a nice bloke
  • Options
    cannot believe that Gabby's just claimed that Mo is the greatest track and field athlete Britain has ever produced. Arguable the greatest distance runner but to claim he's a greater athlete than Daley Thompson is just ridiculous
  • Options

I guess it's not taken into consideration, but this is the last year Farah can win it. Murray has few years left to win it another year.
    Even without that, feel Farah deserves it more.

I think Mo has a chance of taking it if he can pull off a London Marathon win
  • Options
    rina said:

cannot believe that Gabby's just claimed that Mo is the greatest track and field athlete Britain has ever produced. Arguable the greatest distance runner but to claim he's a greater athlete than Daley Thompson is just ridiculous

We all have our opinion on greatest.

I don't think he is. But I suppose if medals are the criteria he will get the nod from most.

I can't think that there's anyone greater than Roger Bannister myself. And I never saw him run or was aware of him when he was in his pomp as I'm too young for that. But he broke the 4 minute barrier for the mile. And he is British. And he is the greatest athlete we have.
  • Options
    rina said:

I love Daley Thompson and personally, I think he's Britain's greatest ever athletics competitor. But it is ttally fair to claim that Mo Farah is "the greatest track and field athlete" we've ever produced if you compare Thompson and Farah's medal hauls.

Daley Thompson won five gold medals at the Olympics, World Championships and European Championships. Farah's won fourteen so far.
  • Options
    iainment said:

Was just about to post the same. Any idea who creates the initial list?
  • Options
    jamescafc said:

iainment said:

Was just about to post the same. Any idea who creates the initial list?
    PR people. Looking to promote a "brand".
  • Options
    The Leicester players could at least have pretended that they were pleased to be there...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    BOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Nunight
  • Options
    Andy Murray Murray.
  • Options
    Only one winner really.
  • Options
    Mo not even in the top three again.
  • Options
    Calm down Andy ffs
  • Options
    Good that the BBC included The Pardew dance!
  • Options
    Haha even Jess Ennis couldnt even say the winner with a straight face.

Really glad that Brownlee got second place
  • Options
    That was really awkward at the end. Poor Andy having to force a smile for 2 minutes.
  • Options
    If Leicester get relegated this season, will they have to return their award :smile:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well done to Andy, the correct winner in a great year for British sport.
  • Options
    Never watching it again after that, outrageous
  • Options
    Ironic, that a bloke with less personality than toothpick has won BBC Sports Personality of the Year

Expect nothing else for Auntie though
  • Options

Ironic, that a bloke with less personality than toothpick has won BBC Sports Personality of the Year

Out of interest, who do you think should have won?

• Options

Roland's got a name for people like you big Rob.
  • Options

Och aye, might've known you'd leap to his defense.

Skelton shoulda won it, or Adams
  • Options
    Murray was a deserved winner when you look at his achievements in the year and Alistair Brownlee deserved a top 3 place too. Nothing against Nick Skelton but I don't know how Mo Farah didn't make the top 3.
  • Options
    The whole things a fix and never watching it again
  • Options

Och aye, might've known you'd leap to his defense.

Skelton shoulda won it, or Adams
    Ole laugh a minute Nick or song and dance Nicola? Can't argue with that me old mate...

On your criteria surely it should be between Akabusi or Bullard every year?