Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dillon Phillips (Cardiff sending him on loan to Belgium p36)

Comments

• WSS said:
    I've been told he has been completely frozen out. Not even sure he's training with the first team.
    That would suggest that it is more than just refusing to sign a new contract. 

I would bet a whole shilling that an agent involved in anything that has gone on.
  • He hasn't refused to play - just didn't want to sign a new contract.
    No different to the club refusing to give a new contract to someone and releasing them.

Not sure what anyone's issue is with Philips
  • Redrobo said:
    WSS said:
    I've been told he has been completely frozen out. Not even sure he's training with the first team.
    That would suggest that it is more than just refusing to sign a new contract. 

I would bet a whole shilling that an agent involved in anything that has gone on.
    LB's agenda is to offload Phillips because he needs to do so to free up money - and quickly. He's already dropped him, told the world that he's not playing him because he won't sign a contract and made a big thing of how well we're going to do anyway because we have two other very good other keepers. Banning Phillips from training just reinforces all of that and makes him focus his mind on making the right decision for LB and CAFC.  
  • mendonca said:
    I'd expect he fancies a move similar to Rob Elliot to Newcastle. A lot of PL team's are desperate of a good 2nd choice GK, so I find it telling that nobody has come in for one of the best shot-stoppers/goalkeepers in the Championship last season.
    Not sure what you're suggesting but as the best keeper at the club he should be playing. He doesn't want to sit on the bench at a Premiership club he wants to play, why he isn't playing for us I don't know. Why hasn't Doughty been banished ? His contract is up at the end of the season & won't sign a new one so why is he still playing ? 
    Not sure he’s the best keeper at the club. Amos 3 years ago was very decent that’s save Shrewsbury away springs to mind. 
    Philips at Wembley? Millwall end of last season always a mistake in him 
    Haha seriously or am I getting whooshed here ? You're using a 3 year old save to suggest Amos is a better keeper than Philips ? 😃 Maybe ask LB why he picked Philips for every game last season. 
    Amos was injured for a long period. I’m not saying that he would have been picked if he was fit, just pointing out that Phillips didn’t have any serious competition for periods last season. 
  • edited October 2020
    Amos looks great in League One and was obviously the best choice in 2018 but any time he’s stepped up to Championship level (Millwall, Bolton, Cardiff, Hull...) he’s been poor.

By contrast, Phillips performed very well on a consistent basis last season and won points for us all on his own.

Amos is still a great keeper for our current situation but there’s not even a debate about who the better goalkeeper is in 2020.
  • Ben will do a job for this season, and for the time being in League 1, do you want to blow any cap space on buying a keeper now? I think you would need to upgrade in the Championship

Surprised by Dillion's behaviour, but that's his choice, I think the hype of last season got to his head. 
  • Interesting what our reaction would've been if Bowyer would've refused to play Taylor for the entirety of last season? 

I think the behaviour towards Phillips is a bit OTT and harsh. He's not come out and begging for a move, just doesn't want to sign a contract. 
  • Interesting what our reaction would've been if Bowyer would've refused to play Taylor for the entirety of last season? 

I think the behaviour towards Phillips is a bit OTT and harsh. He's not come out and begging for a move, just doesn't want to sign a contract. 

I think it's partly Taylor's behaviour at the end of last season that has changed his approach. He didn't take this line with Bauer 2 years ago, for example - thank goodness he didn't either considering what Bauer's final contribution was.

I think it's partly Taylor's behaviour at the end of last season that has changed his approach. He didn't take this line with Bauer 2 years ago, for example - thank goodness he didn't either considering what Bauer's final contribution was.

Once bitten twice shy
  • Sponsored links:

• Feel sorry for the guy. In normal times, he'd be snapped up. I rate him higher than Pope. Pope had a major weakness, getting down to low shots. Dillon has no such weaknesses. That being said, time is on his side and he needs to be playing. It would be great if we could hang on to him and gain promotion again.
    I don’t. He was the one that refused a new contract expecting to be snapped up. He could have signed a contract with a minimum fee based on a team from a higher division coming in, but he didnt.

if he signed and had played 7 games in all competitions, scouts would be watching and maybe a bid would have followed. Now all scouts have to go by is a u-tube page made by his agent.
    Could you imagine the outrage on here if Phillips had signed a contract, done the photo shoot, been our number one for the first 7 games then announced he wanted to leave because Stoke/Bournemouth/another had come in for him.  He would get pelters.

• So what happens to Dillon now ? Still on the wage bill.
  • edited October 2020
    WSS said:
    Can't believe Bow would do that unless Phillips wants away, like right now... Clearly not just because he won't renew. 
  • Swisdom said:
    As far ability I disagree with anyone reckoning Dillon is on a par with Pope.  Even when he was with us you could see Pope was a great goalkeeper.  His compilation video's from when out on loan showed some unbelievable saves but his biggest problem is that he is not "Hollywood" enough.  He'd do a simple save, hold it and get on with the game whereas others would be far more flamboyant and catch the eye.

Yes - Popey made a few mistakes but he was a young man.  He's grown and matured and the fact he is in the England squad as a regular now tells you all you ned to know.  He is recognised as an excellent keeper
    Pope made more mistakes in his breakthrough season than Phillips did. Pope is easily better now, but not by as much as people seem to believe. 
  • PopIcon said:
    Dillon is a top top man , whether he’s as good as the Charlton hype , I’m not so sure .
    The amount of alleged Championship standard players we had last season, I’m surprised safety was never reached .
    What is an alleged Championship player? Do you mean alleged by people on here?

I think our team was shit last season, we probably had four Championship quality players. Dillion being one, Taylor, Matthews and possibly Doughty are the others.
    No way is Doughty championship quality. He absolutely will be, but he’s not there yet. Think he and Dillon will both realise their agent has been a bit too confident with them come Friday. 
  • Feel sorry for the guy. In normal times, he'd be snapped up. I rate him higher than Pope. Pope had a major weakness, getting down to low shots. Dillon has no such weaknesses. That being said, time is on his side and he needs to be playing. It would be great if we could hang on to him and gain promotion again.
    I don’t. He was the one that refused a new contract expecting to be snapped up. He could have signed a contract with a minimum fee based on a team from a higher division coming in, but he didnt.

if he signed and had played 7 games in all competitions, scouts would be watching and maybe a bid would have followed. Now all scouts have to go by is a u-tube page made by his agent.
    Could you imagine the outrage on here if Phillips had signed a contract, done the photo shoot, been our number one for the first 7 games then announced he wanted to leave because Stoke/Bournemouth/another had come in for him.  He would get pelters.

Didn’t Shelvey do that? Or another youth team product, to ensure we got a fee
  • If Phillips isnt in the 23 man squad that we have to register i wonder if his wages still count towards the wage cap ? 

• Only Bowyer and Phillips know what's really going on. Picture will be clearer come 5pm Friday.    
  • Swisdom said:

Unfortunately this hasn't quite gone to plan and Lee can't exactly go back on what he said and Dillon can't exactly say "Ok I will sign a contract now".  Both parties have made their feelings known and it is what it is.

Plenty of scope for a u-turn on this. I don't think any bridges have been burnt, just temporarily closed. If Dills is still a Charlton player on Saturday, don't rule out a new deal being signed and/or him being included in matchday squads again.

• Sponsored links:

• Swisdom said:

Unfortunately this hasn't quite gone to plan and Lee can't exactly go back on what he said and Dillon can't exactly say "Ok I will sign a contract now".  Both parties have made their feelings known and it is what it is.

Plenty of scope for a u-turn on this. I don't think any bridges have been burnt, just temporarily closed. If Dills is still a Charlton player on Saturday, don't rule out a new deal being signed and/or him being included in matchday squads again.

I can't see Bowyer going for that though, he's committed to Amos being his number one and is it fair on him to then drop him because Phillips didn't get a better offer
  • This whole Phillips fiasco has been dragging on for far
    too long, both him and Lee are digging their heels in and
    trying to prove a point.
    Clearly no one thinks Phillips is worth a punt, apart from
    him and his agent, and come Friday the reality will come to
    them both and bite them on the arse
    Can't see Lee giving an inch as he feels let down by this stance
    and there will be a big climbdown from Phillips, in my opinion.
     :) 
  • MattF said:
    Swisdom said:

I can't see Bowyer going for that though, he's committed to Amos being his number one and is it fair on him to then drop him because Phillips didn't get a better offer
    I can. Football is all about the best performer at any given time. Players know that you are only as good as your last performance.
    IF Phillips signs, I can see Amos playing until his first poor performance, then it would be up to Phillips to play well enough to remain the number 1.
  • edited October 2020
    Lol. Wrong thread.
  • Redrobo said:
    MattF said:
    Swisdom said:

I can. Football is all about the best performer at any given time. Players know that you are only as good as your last performance.
    IF Phillips signs, I can see Amos playing until his first poor performance, then it would be up to Phillips to play well enough to remain the number 1.
    Going on Bowyers comments I'm not sure there's even still a contract for Dillon to sign let alone him fighting for his place. He'll be sitting at home until January if he's still here by Friday.
    “What’s Dillon going to do if he doesn’t go? He is going to sit there not playing any games and is going to be forgotten next summer – no-one is going to take him."
  • Bowyers trying to ensure Charlton get something whereas Dillon’s agent is trying to ensure he and Dillon get the maximum for themselves. A win-win isn’t on the cards. 

He could have signed a contract and ultimately not seen it out then at least the club would have been compensated. 

He isn’t alone of course in behaving like this but it looks like greed when you compare to the average man on the street. 

• If Dillon don’t want to be here then flog him Lee.
  • Bowyers trying to ensure Charlton get something whereas Dillon’s agent is trying to ensure he and Dillon get the maximum for themselves. A win-win isn’t on the cards. 

He could have signed a contract and ultimately not seen it out then at least the club would have been compensated. 

He isn’t alone of course in behaving like this but it looks like greed when you compare to the average man on the street. 

LB has, effectively, put Phillips on gardening leave as there is no obligation now for Phillips to do a thing 'til his contract runs out in July. Whether that means that Phillips doesn't get another job is one thing (although I'm sure a club somewhere will take him even if it's at League 1 level) but him sitting at home and drawing his money doesn't really help us either.
  • edited October 2020
    The "best" thing for everyone would probably be for Phillips to turn up tomorrow and tear up his contract, we get him off the wage bill and he loses the looming deadline of Friday. Bit biased towards us though I suspect in that scenario 
  • MattF said:
    Interesting what our reaction would've been if Bowyer would've refused to play Taylor for the entirety of last season? 

Once bitten twice shy
    But if Bowyer had behaved this way with Taylor, basically freezing him out for the whole season we would have been relegated by February. 

It’s a really weird stance to take.