Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dillon Phillips (Cardiff sending him on loan to Belgium p36)

Comments

• Thing is Lee doesn't do second choice too well, so
    i think Phillips will be eating plenty of humble pie
    come Friday and his changing move hasn't materialized
    as no one seems to agree that he is worthy of a No1 spot.
    Let's just hope for his sake that the contract is still there
    for him to sign ;)
  • I think Philips situation has been mishandled. Come next summer we'll be without Amos and Philips most likely 
    What do you think will happen to Phillips next summer if he hasn’t played for a year? League 1 with a salary cap? If he is still a Charlton player come Monday morning, his only option is to sign a new contract with a non promotion fee included.

phillips and his agent are not in control here
  • Thing is Lee doesn't do second choice too well, so
    for him to sign ;)
    He won't be able to sign the same contract now under the wage cap, perhaps after Friday he'll be kicking himself for that one
  • MattF said:
    Thing is Lee doesn't do second choice too well, so
    for him to sign ;)
    He won't be able to sign the same contract now under the wage cap, perhaps after Friday he'll be kicking himself for that one
    He will certainly be kicking something, let's hope it's
    his agent up the arse ;)
  • MattF said:
    for him to sign ;)
    his agent up the arse ;)
    Hope his kicking improves before he does that!

I guess practically his contract offer was withdrawn as soon as the wage cap was voted in, with two decent keepers already
  • MattF said:
    MattF said:
    for him to sign ;)
    his agent up the arse ;)
    Hope his kicking improves before he does that!

I guess practically his contract offer was withdrawn as soon as the wage cap was voted in, with two decent keepers already
    Fair point, anyway, be an interesting couple of days coming up
  • Hopefully he finds somewhere to go before the window closes so we get money for him & most importantly, a wage to offer someone else.
  • I'd expect he fancies a move similar to Rob Elliot to Newcastle. A lot of PL team's are desperate of a good 2nd choice GK, so I find it telling that nobody has come in for one of the best shot-stoppers/goalkeepers in the Championship last season.
  • edited October 2020
    mendonca said:
    I'd expect he fancies a move similar to Rob Elliot to Newcastle. A lot of PL team's are desperate of a good 2nd choice GK, so I find it telling that nobody has come in for one of the best shot-stoppers/goalkeepers in the Championship last season.
    Not sure what you're suggesting but as the best keeper at the club he should be playing. He doesn't want to sit on the bench at a Premiership club he wants to play, why he isn't playing for us I don't know. Why hasn't Doughty been banished ? His contract is up at the end of the season & won't sign a new one so why is he still playing ? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Feel sorry for the guy. In normal times, he'd be snapped up. I rate him higher than Pope. Pope had a major weakness, getting down to low shots. Dillon has no such weaknesses. That being said, time is on his side and he needs to be playing. It would be great if we could hang on to him and gain promotion again.
  • We are not a charity. Teams are trying to get Phillips cheap. You have to hold your nerve sometimes to get the best deal. We don't want to sell anybody until the club is sold to TS anyway. I thought Amos looked decent against Palace. His distribution looked better than Phillips'.
    Exactly the sentiment I was trying to convey yesterday.
    We are now in a position where we don’t ‘have to’ go down the familiar road of cap in hand that we have been subject to for so long. 
  • mendonca said:
    I'd expect he fancies a move similar to Rob Elliot to Newcastle. A lot of PL team's are desperate of a good 2nd choice GK, so I find it telling that nobody has come in for one of the best shot-stoppers/goalkeepers in the Championship last season.
    Not sure what you're suggesting but as the best keeper at the club he should be playing. He doesn't want to sit on the bench at a Premiership club he wants to play, why he isn't playing for us I don't know. Why hasn't Doughty been banished ? His contract is up at the end of the season & won't sign a new one so why is he still playing ? 
    Not sure he’s the best keeper at the club. Amos 3 years ago was very decent that’s save Shrewsbury away springs to mind. 
    Philips at Wembley? Millwall end of last season always a mistake in him 
  • mendonca said:
    Not sure he’s the best keeper at the club. Amos 3 years ago was very decent that’s save Shrewsbury away springs to mind. 
    Haha seriously or am I getting whooshed here ? You're using a 3 year old save to suggest Amos is a better keeper than Philips ? 😃 Maybe ask LB why he picked Philips for every game last season. 
  • se9addick said:
    mendonca said:
    If Phillips isn’t the best goalkeeper at the club then Bowyer should very poor judgement by selecting him every week last season. 
    And he was our Player of the Year too with 53% of the vote - that's more than the whole of the rest of the squad put together!
  • mendonca said:
    The only difference between Phillips and Doughty is because of Alfie’s age we will be due a fee when he moves on at the end of his contract. I find this ridiculous. In my opinion either both play or neither does. Bowyer wants to have his cake and eat it. He’s not taken into account the service Dillon has given nor the fact we buggered him around earlier in his career and he would have likely joined Cheltenham if they could have afforded the fee. He’s better than Amos, he should be playing.
  • We are also making judgements about players we feel are in the exact same situation but are not party to the 121's, training ground attitudes, open and honesty between all at CAFC that goes on behind the scenes. 
  • edited October 2020
    mendonca said:
    Haha seriously or am I getting whooshed here ? You're using a 3 year old save to suggest Amos is a better keeper than Philips ? 😃 Maybe ask LB why he picked Philips for every game last season. 
    Because Philips was in possession and had done nothing to be dropped?

September 2018 Amos was a better keeper than Phillips, hence Bowyer bought in Steer.  If he still had Amos then, he wouldn't have done, would he?

The truth is probably that there is hardly any difference between them, it would have been increadibly unfair to drop Dillon at any point last season, regardless of who the back up keeper was.  Neither of them are world beaters, neither of them clowns.  They are both very good league 1 goal keepers. 

We won't get promoted/not promoted/go down/not go down just on which one plays and which one doesn't. 
  • Sponsored links:

• MattF said:
    for him to sign ;)
    He is under contract now so I would have thought that if he signs a new contract for (say) more money that only activates at the end of this one, then he will quite correctly remain on the average for the CAP.
  • Feel sorry for the guy. In normal times, he'd be snapped up. I rate him higher than Pope. Pope had a major weakness, getting down to low shots. Dillon has no such weaknesses. That being said, time is on his side and he needs to be playing. It would be great if we could hang on to him and gain promotion again.
    You rate Dillon more highly than Pope now?

• mendonca said:
    The only difference between Phillips and Doughty is because of Alfie’s age we will be due a fee when he moves on at the end of his contract. I find this ridiculous. In my opinion either both play or neither does. Bowyer wants to have his cake and eat it. He’s not taken into account the service Dillon has given nor the fact we buggered him around earlier in his career and he would have likely joined Cheltenham if they could have afforded the fee. He’s better than Amos, he should be playing.
    Amos is a perfectly good keeper and it's fine margins between Phillips and Amos. If the margins were great and LB needed Phillips to play, LB would play him.

If LB is dealing with Phillips differently from Doughty it's for the good of the club, and if it isn't affecting results why should anyone be bothered.  

If he treats Doughty different so what?  If he wants his cake and eat it so what?

• Dillon is a top top man , whether he’s as good as the Charlton hype , I’m not so sure .
    The amount of alleged Championship standard players we had last season, I’m surprised safety was never reached .
    What is an alleged Championship player? Do you mean alleged by people on here?

I think our team was shit last season, we probably had four Championship quality players. Dillion being one, Taylor, Matthews and possibly Doughty are the others.
  • Amos had a very good game against Sunderland. If say Dillon was injured and now fit again, I think Amos would have kept his place on that performance. I do think Phillips is the better keeper but both have strengths and weaknesses and Amos certainly isn't a problem for us. 
  • PopIcon said:
    Dillon is a top top man , whether he’s as good as the Charlton hype , I’m not so sure .
    The amount of alleged Championship standard players we had last season, I’m surprised safety was never reached .
    What is an alleged Championship player? Do you mean alleged by people on here?

I think our team was shit last season, we probably had four Championship quality players. Dillion being one, Taylor, Matthews and possibly Doughty are the others.
    What about the ones alleged by the managers of championship clubs like Bonne and Lockyer? 

You know the ones that have to back it up with their jobs on the line, or doesn't their opinion count? 
  • mendonca said:
    Amos is a perfectly good keeper and it's fine margins between Phillips and Amos. If the margins were great and LB needed Phillips to play, LB would play him.

If LB is dealing with Phillips differently from Doughty it's for the good of the club, and if it isn't affecting results why should anyone be bothered.  

If he treats Doughty different so what?  If he wants his cake and eat it so what?

Absolutely LB can. As long as that cake doesn't end up giving you a dodgy tummy because of it. The names Solly, Taylor and Bonne spring to mind. None of those liked the way they were being treated. And if Phillips stays and does a Solly or Taylor in refusing to play if one or both of the other keepers get injured, LB will the first to bemoan the situation and blame Phillips. 

Double standards aren't good in any walk of life. It creates divisions within a club and specifically the dressing room.

• As we have an adequate replacement in Amos, it may be a case of getting Dills off the payroll to bring in a striker.
  • I've been told he has been completely frozen out. Not even sure he's training with the first team.