Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dillon Phillips (Cardiff sending him on loan to Belgium p36)

Comments

• Richard J said:
    Five years ago Amos was at Manchester United and he played seven first team matches. When you consider that contemporaries like Tom Heaton and Luke Steele never made an appearance this demonstrates that Sir Alex didn't award a first team appearance unless a player earnt it.

He lost his way at Bolton and was outstanding in his season with us but has now not played much for two years. 

I am happy with him starting in L1 and can understand why Bowyer has done this. 

One query though. Isn't Amos out of contract next year as well? 
    He is out of contract yeah, but I suppose the fact that he has just triggered the extension is a sign of his intention to stay, whereas Phillips has indicated he wants to leave
  • Richard J said:
    Five years ago Amos was at Manchester United and he played seven first team matches. When you consider that contemporaries like Tom Heaton and Luke Steele never made an appearance this demonstrates that Sir Alex didn't award a first team appearance unless a player earnt it.

He lost his way at Bolton and was outstanding in his season with us but has now not played much for two years. 

I am happy with him starting in L1 and can understand why Bowyer has done this. 

One query though. Isn't Amos out of contract next year as well? 
    Yes Amos is... But then again his Agent isnt pushing for a move like Phillips' is... Which is probably the real issue here
  • Who else has a year left? I don’t expect to see them playing either then. Good job Bowyer didn’t feel the same when we all knew Bauer was leaving.
    Amos, Williams and JFC all exercised the year extension in their contracts, so those 3 for starters. 
  • Who else has a year left? I don’t expect to see them playing either then. Good job Bowyer didn’t feel the same when we all knew Bauer was leaving.
    Depends who those with one year left have been offered and then refused a new contract as Dillon has. 
  • Talal said:
    MattF said:

He should wind it in a bit. 
    Well he's deleted his account which is perhaps a little further wound in than I was expecting. 
  • Out of interest, is DP still training at SL, or has he been told to keep away ?
  • Out of interest, is DP still training at SL, or has he been told to keep away ?
    Must still be training as was involved against Palace
  • Assume he's still training if he's been told he'll be warming the bench 
  • It's a good job we didn't drop every player that had a year left on their contract because we wouldn't have any left to play! 

The fact that Phillips and Amos are relatively closely matched in terms of ability works in our favour. But LB didn't do that with Taylor in January because he was too valuable to us. And Taylor then rewarded us by refusing to honour his contract.

But trust works both ways. If it wasn't for Phillips we would have been relegated weeks before the end of the season. If Amos gets injured in the next week or so and Phillips is still here will LB turn to him? If Phillips then refuses to play will we sack him? Or perhaps sue him?

It's almost as if we're punishing Phillips for the likes of Grant and Taylor walking away for nothing. But one thing that is certain is that if Phillips had any inclination whatsoever to stay and see how things pan out he won't now be doing so. We have, effectively, escalated his exit and this also sends a clear message to any other decent players in a similar position.

If and when we get some stability we need to look at why and how the likes of Brentford are so successful in the transfer market- Watkins will follow Maupay (£20m), Egan (£4m), Mepham (£12m), Yennaris (£5m), Jota (£6m), Hogan (£9m) and Gray (£9m) plus others making total sales of over £80m in the last five seasons - and yet they still remained in contention for promotion to the PL.

At present though the danger is that we're going to end up with players who aren't good enough but at least they'll be desperate to sign a new contract. And that is not the recipe for success.

Can't you see the difference?  Phillips' agent has said he will not sign.  The others haven't, probably because they have never even been offered an extension.

• Sponsored links:

• MattF said:
    Assume he's still training if he's been told he'll be warming the bench 
    Thanks. 
    In theory, is he unemployed at the moment (apologies if he's still under contract, I'm still trying to work out tomorrows permutations).
  • edited August 2020
    MattF said:
    Assume he's still training if he's been told he'll be warming the bench 
    Thanks. 
    In theory, is he unemployed at the moment (apologies if he's still under contract, I'm still trying to work out tomorrows permutations).
    He's got a year to run on his contract but on his agent's advice won't sign a new one so could leave on a free next summer like Taylor did. Bowyer has given him some tough love; no signy contract no longer first choice for the gloves 😏.
  • I can see why Dills wouldn’t sign a new contract as he’s better than L1 and signing benefits us a selling club but not him as a departing player.

I can also see why Bows has made this choice as a wantaway player in the GK position is not ideal. You want your back 5 to be as settled as possible, and playing Dills runs the risk of getting a few games in and losing him. That time would allow Amos to bed in better with the back line.

I think we’ve all figured selling Dills to fund a team is likely to happen. Bows’ moves make it more likely he’ll be sold but also that we’ll get a better fee for him when it happens. He said in the article “if he won’t sign he’ll be sold” so this looks like a strategy with that in mind.

A real shame we couldn’t have gotten that extra point needed to stay in the championship as I’d have loved to see Dills develop more as our player. But we knew relegation would likely cause a few losses like this. I’m really hoping we don’t go down this route with Doughty, but sadly I can see it happening exactly the same...
  • In an ideal world we'd sign Dillon to a lucrative contract then loan him to a Championship club paying his wages, so that he can stay in the Championship, we don't pay his wages and we can have him back if/when we get promoted...
  • edited August 2020
    Like many I think Bowyer is doing the right thing here, and really so is Dillon in footballing terms (even though it's not risk-free for him).

He's been great for us and there's a lot of Championship clubs where he'd be #1 - he's on the up whilst sadly the club has gone in the opposite direction this year at least, even if we do all hope for a quick bounce back with some Sandgaard millions...!
  • Bowyer gave him the chance; many wouldn’t have.  I am not saying DP should have blond loyalty but I think he and his agent are playing a dangerous game 
  • Sponsored links:

• RedChaser said:
    Dillon surely could have a release clause in say a two year contact if say we we didn't get promoted immediately or an offer of x£ is received, no?
    Charlton don’t do sensible contracts mate.
  • Dropping Phillips is sensible as Amos has not played for a long time, and needs to get some game time playing alongside the defence. Bows has to assume he is leaving and sort out the team for next season. One player will not and should not get in the way of that.

If no one has met our price when the window shuts that would be a different matter. It is also not beyond the possibility that Phillips signs when and if we get PS in as a new owner with ambition and joins the ride. Two good GKs so hopefully both here for next season and beyond.
  • Redrobo said:
    Dropping Phillips is sensible as Amos has not played for a long time, and needs to get some game time playing alongside the defence. Bows has to assume he is leaving and sort out the team for next season. One player will not and should not get in the way of that.

If no one has met our price when the window shuts that would be a different matter. It is also not beyond the possibility that Phillips signs when and if we get PS in as a new owner with ambition and joins the ride. Two good GKs so hopefully both here for next season and beyond.
    You are telling me Patrick Swayze is putting in a bid now? Ffs when will this madness end.
  • Let's face it, there's a good chance that Dillon goes before the end of this transfer window, especially if the ownership issue is dragging on so we need a transfer fee to keep us afloat. Better to get Amos in and establishing a working relationship with the defence now rather than having to do it in a rush after deadline day. Sorry Dillon, nothing personal but the management have to prioritise the good of the team.
  • pretty sure Dillon will understand LB's point of view.

still hopeful that he'll be here when the window shuts and get onto TS's journey and sign a new contract looking at the great squad we will have assembled to smash the league!
  • Maynard Brewer to start tonight? 
  • RedChaser said:
    Dillon surely could have a release clause in say a two year contact if say we we didn't get promoted immediately or an offer of x£ is received, no?
    Presumably his agent wants a pay day now. 
  • Richard J said:
    Maynard Brewer to start tonight? 
    Probably not, the moment Maynard-Brewer plays he gets classed as another addition to the 23-man squad