Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dillon Phillips (Cardiff sending him on loan to Belgium p36)

Comments

• I think our funding for the next few months already takes into account that Phillips will leave for a certain amount of money. 

From the end of the season it was obvious Phillips was going. The rest a bit less so. 
  • How much longer has Dillon got on his existing contract? 
  • redman said:
    How much longer has Dillon got on his existing contract? 
    1 more season
  • edited August 2020
    Assume the difference between Bauer not wanting to sign another contract and Phillips is that Phillips must want out whereas Bauer wanted to at least see his contract out, sooner we sell him and free up a space the better.
  • I’ve actually said I’d accept selling Phillips as Amos is more than capable and would much prefer to lose Phillips over Doughty or Bonne. 

Problem is how does selling him fund anything? The salary cap meant we aren’t going to be signing players for 1mil+ anyway as the players who command that fee aren’t going to be happy with 3k a week. The cap is such bollocks. Just widened the gap between League 1 and the Championship. 
  • MattF said:
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/exclusive-dillon-phillips-wont-be-first-choice-charlton-goalkeeper-as-lee-bowyer-explains-tough-stance/

Tough stance to take but good to see us standing up to the scumbags that are agents (couple of exceptions excluded)
    Doesnt surprise me... Bowyer took a similar stance with Dijksteel - Said then that we wouldn't allow agents to dictate things here
  • I’ve actually said I’d accept selling Phillips as Amos is more than capable and would much prefer to lose Phillips over Doughty or Bonne. 

Problem is how does selling him fund anything? The salary cap meant we aren’t going to be signing players for 1mil+ anyway as the players who command that fee aren’t going to be happy with 3k a week. The cap is such bollocks. Just widened the gap between League 1 and the Championship. 
    Do we know how far below the cap we are?

We know we had a low wage expenditure anyway, higher earners like Sarr/Solly/Taylor have left, plus we have a few U21 players who won't count towards the cap so if/when the embargo is lifted we may actually have a far bit of room for new signings and still being able to stay within the cap.
  • If Dillon sits on the bench for a year, he’s not going to get a good move at the end of his contract.
  • Sponsored links:

Do we know how far below the cap we are?

We know we had a low wage expenditure anyway, higher earners like Sarr/Solly/Taylor have left, plus we have a few U21 players who won't count towards the cap so if/when the embargo is lifted we may actually have a far bit of room for new signings and still being able to stay within the cap.
    No that’s true. But I also think with a reasonable investment from TS, we could sign those players anyway. So unlike when we sold Elliot and Jenkinson, it’s not like we can reinvest that money into the wages. 

You’d hope with those players that have left we will be in a reasonably strong position if and when the embargo is lifted. The benefit is that it means you don’t need to be held to ransom. If you can’t really use the funds for wages then hopefully we shouldn’t be accepting any derisory offers. 
  • Agree with Bowyer on this. Amos didn't play a minute last season and still wanted to be here. Though I'm sure things would be different if we didn't have such competent backup. 
  • Well done bowyer... I really rate Dillon, but Amos will be one of the best keepers in that league. 
  • edited August 2020
    Dont see why Phillips doesnt just sign a deal to ensure we get something from selling him on, whilst he gets game time if there is no interest

Even in the pre-Roland era we've not been known for stopping players from furthering their careers

Think we've actually been quite reasonable as dont recall us ever stopping a player in that manner provided we've received a decent fee
  • edited August 2020
    Absolutely love Bowyer 
    and that’s nothing against Phillips who is obviously a great player 
  • Dont see why Phillips doesnt just sign a deal to ensure we get something from selling him on, whilst he gets game time if there is no interest

Even in the pre-Roland era we've not been known for stopping players from furthering their careers

Think we've actually been quite reasonable as dont recall us ever stopping a player in that manner provided we've received a decent fee
    Don't see the point in that. Everyone would know he still wants to go and as such Bowyer still wouldn't play him. I think Bowyer is wrong on this. You play your best team. The season just gone we wouldn't have been able to pick a starting eleven if Bowyer hadn't picked those that were leaving at the end of the season. Dills has given great service to the Club, been fucked around by previous managers, nearly sold to Cheltenham Town and was brilliant last season. I'd play him, better than Amos.
    The issue at the moment is the fact that he leaves for free next season whether we play him or not so we lose out regardless.

Why not sign a new deal, Bowyer can choose to play the better 'keeper yet if a club comes in with a reasonable off either this summer, winter or next year then both parties benefit

e.g. He gets the move up the chain, we get the money to invest back into the squad

The only way that Phillips doesnt benefit is the fact that he doesnt get the signing on fee that a Free Transfer benefits from
  • Completely agree with Bowyer's stance. You can't just say i'm going to stay another year just to leave on a free and then still expect to play.

Phillips agent now has to actually do some work for his money and get his client a move for an acceptable transfer fee (not a piss taking one), or he'll be left out in the cold for a year and possibly end up getting forgotten about. A year is a long time to sit on the bench.
    What’s the point in contracts then? 3 year deals are really for two years if you won’t sign a new agreement? Why bother loaning young players in? 

Phillips is under contract and, provided he puts 100% effort in, I would consider him for selection the same as any other player. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Love Dillon and I’d be surprised if there was any toys thrown here but make bowyer 100% right.
  • We've allowed too many players (especially young one's) to walk away on frees. Nothing against Dillon but he's got to be sold for a reasonable fee, sign up for at least an additional year or sit in the reserves. A well run club would have made this stand a long time ago but we are where we are.
  • Who else has a year left? I don’t expect to see them playing either then. Good job Bowyer didn’t feel the same when we all knew Bauer was leaving.
  • Talal said:
    MattF said:

He should wind it in a bit. 
    Exactly, it should have eff all to do with Mihail.
    It sounds like they want to sell Phillips, so he's bigging up Amos to all the fools that will go along with it.
    I'm happy for Bowyer to decide what he wants.
  • I agree with everybody that agrees but not sure what I'm agreeing with?
  • Who else has a year left? I don’t expect to see them playing either then. Good job Bowyer didn’t feel the same when we all knew Bauer was leaving.
    Doughty is another so be curious to see how that pans out

But then is it just Phillips and his Agent who have actually said that a new deal wont be signed
  • I think Bowyer's playing a game of brinkmanship with Dillon. He's likely hoping that if we can continue to hold off bids for him while making him realise that he's going to miss out on upcoming football - which he hates - then we might create a situation where there's a new owner, a bit of a boost around the club, and the opportunity to convince him that it's worth signing a new deal. If Sandgaard does manage to complete the takeover and things start looking very positive then it wouldn't be the worst thing for Dillon to stay and become part of a team that could be on the up. Sandgaard has already said that he wants to create a club where players stick around for a long time to build a connection with the fans so I don't doubt that one of his first priorities, apart from signing a million footballers so we can actually play in the league, will be trying to get Dillon tied down.
  • Five years ago Amos was at Manchester United and he played seven first team matches. When you consider that contemporaries like Tom Heaton and Luke Steele never made an appearance this demonstrates that Sir Alex didn't award a first team appearance unless a player earnt it.

He lost his way at Bolton and was outstanding in his season with us but has now not played much for two years. 

I am happy with him starting in L1 and can understand why Bowyer has done this. 

One query though. Isn't Amos out of contract next year as well?