Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best places to eat in SE London

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Maggies in Lewisham.

Talking of Morleys, what fakes have people seen? I've seen a Mowleys and a Marleys!
  • Options

Yak and Yeti in Crystal Palace (sorry, I'll wash my mouth out with soap). There's one or two others in this mini-chain over Eltham way, I think, but I've not been to those.

Bona, a pizzeria in Dartmouth Road, Forest Hill

FM Mangal in Camberwell

Franco Manca (spelling?) in East Dulwich.

The bar/restaurant in the old Naval College in Greenwich. Food's good, beer choice is very good, but since Meantime was bought out (by Coors?) I'm less inclined to frequent it.

FM Mangal in camberwell is incredible, the bread must have some diluted crack on it or something. Can only explain how much I can eat of it.

Chai Naasto in beckenham is very good, also does a railway lamb/chicken and an excellent lal Maas.
  • Options

Maggies in Lewisham.

Talking of Morleys, what fakes have people seen? I've seen a Mowleys and a Marleys!

Maxies!
  • Options

Yak and Yeti in Crystal Palace (sorry, I'll wash my mouth out with soap). There's one or two others in this mini-chain over Eltham way, I think, but I've not been to those.

There is a Yak and Yeti in Eltham High Street, been there a few times with family, last time couple of months ago. It's always OK. There's sod all else in Eltham I could say that about.

Some interesting sounding tips in this thread, though
  • Options
    Lucianos in Lee is overrated, I cant abide soggy pizza but you will find me in the bar from time to time.
    About 4 doors down the road from Lucianos is a real gem of a restaurant....Caspian a Persian and Iranian restaurant. Great value and great food.

www.thecaspian.co.uk
  • Options
    Someone mentioned Cau earlier in the thread... I went in there once...nothing wrong the food...not bad, not great, just a bit 'meh' but I couldn't get over the decor... So bright and trying to be 'cool' and yet getting it all so wrong... I felt like I was in an Eastern European restaurant in the 80s, that was trying to be how it imagined Western European restaurants were at the time....

Ate in Buenos Aires in B'heath last night....the food was good as per usual, but it still strikes me as a bit more expensive than it should be....£240 for 4 of us with two (£30) bottles of wine....hmmm....
  • Options
    I was in BA on fireworks night, it is very good but like you say can be quite pricy. We had that steak platter... or something like that. It beat me. I've looked up that Italian you mention CC - it looks quite plain on the outside from the pic but that good you say?

I mentioned in Woolwich thread but those of you local to Woolwich and like Turkish food there is a little place called KK's bar and Gril next to Sainsburys. Its a very decent café by day and then has an evening menu. Its really really good value for really good food. The portions are really good and you wont go out hungry. Lovely grilled halloumi for those of you that like that. Worth a try if you're ever in downtown Woolwich looking for something different then a curry or Wimpy.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    seth plum said:

I am sorry to say I went to Zero Degrees, and ordered a pizza. It was a Margherita only (their veggie option), and it was very poor. Very fragile base the wrong side of done (too burnt), and the tomato aspect of it was watery and dripped everywhere, the rest of the topping was pretty scant and bland. To eat it you had to scrunch up an amount into a dough-like ball and eat it off a fork. It took ages to arrive, and was not particularly cheap.
    Sorry Leuth, but I've had better pizza at the Workers Stadium in Beijing, and many other more humble places.

Their Funghi pizza is exceptional and also vegetarian, but fair enough. I've been going there for over 15 years and never had anything less than superb, but I'm willing to believe you had a bad experience. I'd rate Zero Degrees above the competition, and I've tried them all, from Pizza Express to Bianco43 to La Parma Pizzaria to Franco Manca to sodding Papa John's...the only one I haven't tried is that one on the Woolwich Road, and I'd be very happy to.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @Curb_It - yes, Reginella is very plain on the outside and can be a bit soulless on the inside (coupled with slow service - I'm really selling it aren't I?) BUT I guarantee that the food more than makes up for it all....and if you're not sure, they do takeaway through deliveroo so you can try it without making the schlep...

@Leuth - I do hope you try it too and then would love to hear a comparison to Zero Degrees. Cheers
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    PaddyP17 - you're eating tastes must be a massive source of disappointment to your father.
  • Options

Went to Zero Degrees once for a pizza and they wouldn't let me in because I didn't have shoes on. Severed ties with it since then, but the pizza was decent when I went before.

If I'm around there for food, it takes quite a bit to drag me away from Cau.

Is that the place up Blackheath where people eat their pizzas while watching others people get pissed on the home brewed
  • Options
    Pizza = Cheese on toast
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

This is a thread I have been waiting for. I love food, and I love eating out. Top tips, from all sorts of styles:

- Luciano's in Lee, as has already been recommended. All of it is cracking.
    - Favourable Chicken on Burnt Ash Hill. Peng munch. Wings have a delightful spicy kick.
    - Favourable Chicken next to Hither Green station. Peng munch. Their £5 meal deal is beast - drink, burger, two pieces of chicken, two wings and chips.
    - Manor Cafe, on Manor Lane, in Lee. Four quid for a fat fat fry-up will always see me happy.
    - Panas Gurkha curry house on Lee High Road. The zimbu chicken is absolutely fantastic.
    - Personally, I'm a fan of Best Kebab opposite Sainsburys in Lee Green - which is indeed the best kebab, for me. Great chicken meat and chips.
    - Nandos.
    - Morleys, with the exception of the one in Lee, sadly. Though I will concede that's cos I'm a wings guy and their wings are dogshite.

This is word for word the answer my youngest brother would give lol
  • Options

There is a Yak and Yeti in Eltham High Street, been there a few times with family, last time couple of months ago. It's always OK. There's sod all else in Eltham I could say that about.

Some interesting sounding tips in this thread, though
    Lale in Eltham has always been good in my experience.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

PaddyP17 - you're eating tastes must be a massive source of disappointment to your father.

Not so much a father than a failure!
  • Options
    To confirm Meze Mangal on Lewisham Way is great food at a decent price, although have been there only twice.
  • Options
    Greek food is it?
  • Options
    Mangal is s Turkish or Lebanese name. They have meze in those countries too. There's a big culinary overlap
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cau: had lunch there and left it after four mouthfuls.The waitress asked, 'How was your meal?'
    'You're French, aren't you?' I replied,
    'Oui.'
    'Then you don't need to ask.'
    The embarrassed look on her face said it all.I overtipped her.

The Blue Nile: mediocre curry with injera: A bland ,rubber pancake that sticks to the roof of your mouth, which, for some reason, they seem to be very proud of.The desert wine served with biscotti was cooking sherry.I sent it back and was given a glass of ouzo 'On the house' as recompense.But they've kept the tiles from the original butchers, so that's alright.

Zero Degrees: a 'brewery' that fails to understand you don't serve ale at zero degrees.Everything about this place is cold.

I like The Babur in Brockley, mainly for its cocktails which are as good as I've had anywhere.

Sad to say that when I want a really good meal, I know I'll have to go over the river.
  • Options
    Oh shiiiiiiiiiii
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Oh shiiiiiiiiiii

There's this comment and you gave mine a 'lol'. What are you actually trying to say?

• Options
    @PaddyP17, are you a devotee of The Chicken Connoisseur by any chance?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E6oFrh4CCw
  • Options

Maggies in Lewisham.

Use to do about a score in that one near the Venue
  • Options
    aliwibble said:

Watched all of them back to back earlier today while "working". Absolutely fantastic.

Can confirm that the place in episode 2 is "peng"
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    PaddyP17 said:

This is a thread I have been waiting for. I love food, and I love eating out. Top tips, from all sorts of styles:

- Favourable Chicken on Burnt Ash Hill. Peng munch. Wings have a delightful spicy kick.
    - Favourable Chicken next to Hither Green station. Peng munch. Their £5 meal deal is beast - drink, burger, two pieces of chicken, two wings and chips.
    - Manor Cafe, on Manor Lane, in Lee. Four quid for a fat fat fry-up will always see me happy.
    - Panas Gurkha curry house on Lee High Road. The zimbu chicken is absolutely fantastic.
    - Personally, I'm a fan of Best Kebab opposite Sainsburys in Lee Green - which is indeed the best kebab, for me. Great chicken meat and chips.
    - Nandos.
    - Morleys, with the exception of the one in Lee, sadly. Though I will concede that's cos I'm a wings guy and their wings are dogshite.

'Peng munch' wtf
  • Options

PaddyP17 said:

- Nandos.

'Peng munch' wtf
    http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/the-chicken-connoisseur-schoolboy-reviews-london-chicken-shops-in-search-of-the-pengest-munch-a3416416.html
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

aliwibble said:

Watched all of them back to back earlier today while "working". Absolutely fantastic.

Can confirm that the place in episode 2 is "peng"
    V entertaining. Defo peng.
  • Options

PaddyP17 said:

- Nandos.

'Peng munch' wtf
    Chicken fan! :):):)

The chicken shop by hither green station next to the Biscuit Factory is surprisingly good. It is really cheap but easily to the standard of a "good" Morleys franchise.

2 bits and chips is about £2.30 which is great value. The chips are good the chicken is not greazy, I am fussy about bad chicken. It's always busy.

Classy chicken shop recommendation ha ha