Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best places to eat in SE London

Comments

• Options
    EastStand said:

Ganapti in Peckham.
    https://g.co/kgs/lfkiJL

Agree Ganapati is great. I think someone on CL recommended years ago when I was asking about authentic Indian food
  • Options

No need for that mate!

I was thinking of your accent.....having spent sometime in Tokyo, by Christ it's as difficult a language as you can come across....let alone the accent!
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Leuth said:

seth plum said:

I am sorry to say I went to Zero Degrees, and ordered a pizza. It was a Margherita only (their veggie option), and it was very poor. Very fragile base the wrong side of done (too burnt), and the tomato aspect of it was watery and dripped everywhere, the rest of the topping was pretty scant and bland. To eat it you had to scrunch up an amount into a dough-like ball and eat it off a fork. It took ages to arrive, and was not particularly cheap.
    Sorry Leuth, but I've had better pizza at the Workers Stadium in Beijing, and many other more humble places.

Their Funghi pizza is exceptional and also vegetarian, but fair enough. I've been going there for over 15 years and never had anything less than superb, but I'm willing to believe you had a bad experience. I'd rate Zero Degrees above the competition, and I've tried them all, from Pizza Express to Bianco43 to La Parma Pizzaria to Franco Manca to sodding Papa John's...the only one I haven't tried is that one on the Woolwich Road, and I'd be very happy to.
    @Leuth it's interesting that you rate Zero Degrees better than Franco Manca, and that you've been going there for fifteen years and never been disappointed. I'd be up for doing a blind tasting with you of the same pizza, or as close as possible, from both places and see what we both think.
    Franco Manca's pizzas are nice, but they're not the last word. For one thing they're slightly too small! I also think that Zero Degrees' best pizzas have a complexity of flavour that FM lacks. But I can see how getting the wrong Zero Degrees pizza might give a bad impression. Their tandoori pizza from a while ago was an unmitigated failure. But at least they try stuff.

Another good pizza place in South (if not South East) London is that Joe Public place on top of Clapham Common station. You buy by the slice, but the slices are enormous, filling and extremely well-topped. And the crusts are exquisite.
    @Leuth, I'd agree Franco Manca's aren't the last word but they are consistently well above average and when compared to the likes of the chains (Pizza Express, Pizza Hut) are in a different league. Bona in Forest Hill is well worth a look, as are the Sardinian place in Crystal Palace, Mediterranea, and the one in East Dulwich, Il Mirto.
  • Options
    kimbo said:

EastStand said:

Ganapti in Peckham.
    https://g.co/kgs/lfkiJL

Agree Ganapati is great. I think someone on CL recommended years ago when I was asking about authentic Indian food
    The food's good but very expensive. The staff on a couple of visits have been a tad pretentious.
  • Options
    Lots of pizza lovers on this thread. At the weekend I tried Tratorria Rafaelle in Sydenham.

Check out the reviews on Trip Advisor etc. Absolutely fantastic food and I urge you to take a visit.

Could be the end of the pizza debate.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Cafe Rouge in Blackheath never disappoints, had the duck in there yesterday, very nice it was to.

The duck is nice in there but very expensive. Couldn't believe it when I saw the size of the bill.
    Wife always looks for discount vouchers when we go there...we got 40% of the last time we were in there (last Thursday)...paid our bill and they gave us a 50% off voucher on our next visit.
  • Options
    @leuth if pizza's are your thing there is a tiny restaurant near Sidcup station called Mario's Pizzeria, which consistently rates No.1 on Trip Advisor.

I've got you down as one of those non-lager drinking weirdos and there is a very nice and popular micropub directly opposite to help you wash it down.

In fact out of 70 eateries in Sunny Sidcup, 6 out the top 8 are all within 100yds of each other around the station area.
  • Options
    You mean Cinquanta isn't top yet? I literally couldn't believe how good it was. One day soon
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:

You mean Cinquanta isn't top yet? I literally couldn't believe how good it was. One day soon

Currently weighing in at No.5
  • Options
    I'm definitely a non-lager weirdo though yeah well sussed
  • Options
    Leuth said:

I'm definitely a non-lager weirdo though yeah well sussed

Had the Peking Duck pizza in Zero Degrees on Sunday....a tad sweet but quite nice.
  • Options

Maggies in Lewisham.

Talking of Morleys, what fakes have people seen? I've seen a Mowleys and a Marleys!

The Marleys has changed its name to MFC. :angry:
  • Options
    Valley Cafe....sausage bacon chips two slices and a cuppa for a fiver.
  • Options
    Dont go in the green pea in maze hill. The rudest landlord i have ever come across, hes irish so you cant miss him, an ignorant pig.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Anyone know of a reliably good chippy? I used to go to the one by Blackheath station until a few years back when it went from being great to dreadful in a matter of months. Haven't really replaced it.

Around Charlton-ish area...

Standard Fish Bar (Blackheath Royal Standard) - always busy, but looks a bit grim so haven't tried it
    Fresh Fry Fish Bar (Charlton Church Lane) - Chips great when fresh, don't quite survive the 10min walk home if being overly picky and went soggy. Fish batter very good/crispy, actual fish inside - bit dry/low on fish to batter ratio. Will try again

Also, I don't trust chip shops that also do kebabs in any form.
  • Options
    The Vintage Fish Shop at Lee Green is very good - only one in the area that uses fresh rather than frozen fish, everything made to order.
  • Options

Anyone know of a reliably good chippy? I used to go to the one by Blackheath station until a few years back when it went from being great to dreadful in a matter of months. Haven't really replaced it.

Around Charlton-ish area...

Standard Fish Bar (Blackheath Royal Standard) - always busy, but looks a bit grim so haven't tried it
    Fresh Fry Fish Bar (Charlton Church Lane) - Chips great when fresh, don't quite survive the 10min walk home if being overly picky and went soggy. Fish batter very good/crispy, actual fish inside - bit dry/low on fish to batter ratio. Will try again

Also, I don't trust chip shops that also do kebabs in any form.

Not sure whether it passes your kebab test as I've not looked but the one in the parade of shops near the Charlton end of Marlborough Lane next to Victoria Way is OK I find.
  • Options
    Not in the right area.....but the grillery in College Rd Bromley is my local.....and very nice it is too.

Also does 'posh fish' like bass, salmon on a charcoal grill - but not my cuppa tea!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Going away from Bromley, down Bromley Hill towards Downham, first shop on the left past the petrol station....can't remember what it's called, but bloody good!
  • Options

Maggies in Lewisham.

Talking of Morleys, what fakes have people seen? I've seen a Mowleys and a Marleys!

I've seen a "Mowgli" near Sparrows Lane, oops wrong thread...
  • Options

Going away from Bromley, down Bromley Hill towards Downham, first shop on the left past the petrol station....can't remember what it's called, but bloody good!

Bromley Hill Fish Bar.......agreed.....another goodun.
  • Options
    Babur in Forest Hill is outstanding.
  • Options
    There used to be one on the one way system by Surrey Docks station called the Ocean Breeze, long gone now, but way back when I wasn't a vegetarian I used to love their cod and chips, weirdly as a veggie I still sometimes bloody dream about them.
  • Options

Bromley Hill Fish Bar.......agreed.....another goodun.
    Yes SA.....that's the one.....thanks.
  • Options
    Off to Due Amici on Friday night
  • Options
    Franco Manca's beer "no logo" is horrible and I hate restaurants that try and pretend to be non-corporate like that.
  • Options
    Sorry for potential duplication but need reccos for best curry in Lewisham or Blackheath. Thank you .
  • Options
    I know a cracking place in Lulworth Cove, I know not Sarf East London as per this thread title but just saying