Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best places to eat in SE London

Comments

• Options
    Cinnamon, upper Brockley road is good, as is Everest Inn, montpelier vale.
  • Options

Sorry for potential duplication but need reccos for best curry in Lewisham or Blackheath. Thank you .

@PragueAddick The Everest Inn in Blackheath Village used to be pretty good but not been there for some time.
  • Options
    The best I can recommend is the Saffron Club in Blackheath.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Sorry for potential duplication but need reccos for best curry in Lewisham or Blackheath. Thank you .

Saffron Blackheath lemon rice is lovely.
  • Options

http://www.babur.info/

Babur, Forest Hill. Received acclaim in the Substandard and various other places - definitely a cut above the many other good curry houses in South East London.
  • Options
    Thanks all. It's a CAST team curry and one of the guys is coming from wet spam land, so we ideally need to be close to Lewisham DLR, or easy connection from there, the rest of us coming from SE7 and SE9.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

@PragueAddick The Everest Inn in Blackheath Village used to be pretty good but not been there for some time.
    Was good but think it's had its peak.
  • Options
    Saffron is in the middle of the village, a 10 minute walk or any bus that will get you to lewisham dlr
  • Options
    Off to Meze Mangal for lunch. Yummy.
  • Options

Anyone know of a reliably good chippy? I used to go to the one by Blackheath station until a few years back when it went from being great to dreadful in a matter of months. Haven't really replaced it.

Around Charlton-ish area...

Standard Fish Bar (Blackheath Royal Standard) - always busy, but looks a bit grim so haven't tried it
    Fresh Fry Fish Bar (Charlton Church Lane) - Chips great when fresh, don't quite survive the 10min walk home if being overly picky and went soggy. Fish batter very good/crispy, actual fish inside - bit dry/low on fish to batter ratio. Will try again

Also, I don't trust chip shops that also do kebabs in any form.

At the bottom of Lee Park, on Lee High Road there is a chippy just opposite the petrol station and that dingy looking boozer. I started going there when the one on the village went downhill (the chips are ok but >£1.90 - not.worth it!)

Everytime ive had chips from there they have been decent. One time they were cold but they were happy to make fresh. The potato is awight, cant stand places that use mangey potato like most Kebab and Chicken shops do.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Thanks all. It's a CAST team curry and one of the guys is coming from wet spam land, so we ideally need to be close to Lewisham DLR, or easy connection from there, the rest of us coming from SE7 and SE9.

How many of you will there be? Ladywell Tandoori is nice, but small, so you'd need to book a table to be on the safe side. It's about a minute's walk from Ladywell station, so whoever's coming from East London could just switch from the DLR to the Hayes Line at Lewisham station and go one stop to Ladywell. This has the advantage of not having to navigate the latest shenanigans with the road layout round Lewisham station, and trying to find out where the hell the buses are stopping there now.
  • Options
    Not sure of I mentioned this place earlier in the thread but I would strongly recommend Terry's cafe in great Suffolk street near the borough. For me the best cafe in london by a mile. Had christmas lunch in there and I'm still trying to walk it off. Fresh meat from Smithfield everyday and everything home made. It's like going back in time to the 30's.
    Terryscafe.co.uk
  • Options

Taste of Raj is my preferred one in the area. Mains are pricy but the 'vegetarian thali' (combo of sides) is an absolute winner and kind of makes up for it by being decent value as well.
  • Options
    Cheers for chippy recommendations, will report back...
  • Options
    franks kebab and burger van east Peckham
    its the dogs bo**ocks
  • Options
    Went to Reginella the other day! Pizza was very good - up there with Bianco43, perhaps even better. Cheers for the recommendation! Had some pasta too - was very nice, if not quite up to Cinquanta - the best pasta in SE London that I'd consider possible.

Zero Degrees fungi pizza still the best you can get in SE London (or roasted garlic chicken if you prefer meat). Those two pizzas are on another level to the rest of Zero Degrees let alone anything else.
  • Options

rananegra said:

Babur, Brockley Rise Forest Hill/Honor Oak Park. Really good non-standard Indian. Don't get to eat out much but like it there.
    Sapporo in Catford is good (Japanese). Surprises me how anything half decent survives in Catford.
    I've never been but other half raves about Meze Mangal on Lewisham Way.

When I used to go to Sapporo, I don't think the staff were Japanese as they didn't understand when I spoke Japanese to them. Of course, my accent may be so appalling it wasn't actually understandable! Didn't stop me enjoying the food, but I've not been there for about ten years. Perhaps it's time to renew acquaintances.
    They might have touched up on their Japanese since your last visit as well.
  • Options
    http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/the-golden-chippy-small-greenwich-chip-shop-ranked-best-restaurant-in-london-on-tripadvisor-a3401026.html saw this article so went when back in the area before Christmas. Was great; you can eat in, get wine and the staff are lovely
  • Options
    Lovely meal at Tigers Head chislehurst last night to celebrate the Mrs 50th birthday. Only a chef and brewer but has a great menu.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Anyone know of a reliably good chippy? I used to go to the one by Blackheath station until a few years back when it went from being great to dreadful in a matter of months. Haven't really replaced it.

Around Charlton-ish area...

Standard Fish Bar (Blackheath Royal Standard) - always busy, but looks a bit grim so haven't tried it
    Fresh Fry Fish Bar (Charlton Church Lane) - Chips great when fresh, don't quite survive the 10min walk home if being overly picky and went soggy. Fish batter very good/crispy, actual fish inside - bit dry/low on fish to batter ratio. Will try again

Also, I don't trust chip shops that also do kebabs in any form.

I'm with on the boycotting of chips from kebab shops.

You can quite often get good chips from a Chinese takeaway. Some of them do the thin, French fries, type which I can't stand, but some do nice fat, proper chips that aren't greasy. I don't know any in the Charlton area but the one at 22 Woolwich Rd used to do those sort when I lived above it a while ago.
  • Options

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/the-golden-chippy-small-greenwich-chip-shop-ranked-best-restaurant-in-london-on-tripadvisor-a3401026.html saw this article so went when back in the area before Christmas. Was great; you can eat in, get wine and the staff are lovely

Have eaten here - fish and chips is excellent.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Ate in The Hill in January on a Saturday night. (Royal hill in Greenwich) Was nice and quite unusual food on menu. (Mediterranean?). Guitarist provided a good atmosphere. Will prob go back.
  • Options
    What Chinese takeaway would people recommend? Not had a Chinese for months and fancy one tonight.

Usually use Yi Wah on Well Hall but fancy a change tonight.
  • Options

franks kebab and burger van east Peckham
    its the dogs bo**ocks

The kebabs probably are............dogs bollocks I mean.
  • Options
    Shame Khan's in Blackheath has been replaced by yet another Italian.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

• Options

Went to Khan's twice. Very, very ordinary so no loss, but is there a surfeit of Italians in SE3?
  • Options

Went to Khan's twice. Very, very ordinary so no loss, but is there a surfeit of Italians in SE3?
    Strada, Pizza Express and Zero Degrees all do 'Italian' food, to be honest I hadn't been in Khans since we lived in Lee (2009-10), just think it's a bit of a shame losing an Indian for an Italian. We ended up in Zero Degrees, I had the seafood linguine which was fine.