Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gig spy

Comments

• Options
    KettsJohn said:
    Anyone remember Wasted Youth from the Bridge House over at Caning town? 40 years after their last gig at the Venue Victoria they are playing a gig in London! Haha, I can't imagine what they will be like, wasted youth in their 60s. The drummer and bass player are both dead and it's remarkable that the singer and guitarist are still alive the amount of drugs they did. Still loved the at that time. Great memories of some great gigs. 
    Blimey, blast from the past.
    Was going to The Bridge House quite a lot in the early 80s, saw The Damned, Cockney Rejects and Rory Gallagher there on different occasions (Gallagher was doing a warm up night for his (I think) 6 nights at Hammersmith Odeon).
    I saw the Damned and the Rejects there too, plus Tom Robinson Band, also a great gig by 999 … terrific venue back in the day 
  • Options
    edited October 2021

Went to see Paul Heaton at the London Palladium tonight.  He was supposed to be performing with Jacqui Abbott who is sadly unwell and had to withdraw.  Great selection of songs new and old and Heaton’s voice was typically sweet despite that fact that he’s almost 60. Three quarters of the way through the set Heaton performs the ritual ‘I’d like to introduce the band..’ routine.  ‘What I’ll do is run through each member and let you have their name, their instrument and then the football team that they support”

Heaton starts to his left and proceeds anti-clockwise around his band assembled on the stage.

“Here’s Danny on lead guitar, he supports Leeds United”

Loud boos from audience prompted Heaton to add “But what about his guitar playing” cue the cheers.

“Next up it’s Dave on the trumpet, he supports Man City” applause but muted boos.

“Then we have John on trombone, he supports Aston Villa” applause but muted grumbles.

“Now Andy on saxophone, he supports Bolton Wanderers” applause only.

“This is Pete on drums he’s a Rochdale supporter” sporadic confused applause.

Next up was the keyboard player and all I can recall is –

“Here’s XXXX, our keyboard player who supports Charlton Athletic”

Cue cheers from me in the shit seats in the Upper Circle and I could hear other Addicks also celebrating the shout out in the more comfortable but crowded Stalls.

For those interested the remaining bass guitarist was an Everton supporter and Heaton himself admitted his Sheffield United allegiance after first suggesting he was a fan of showjumping and Formula One, what a scallywag.

Does anyone know the name of the keyboard player?

• Options
    stonemuse said:
    KettsJohn said:
    Anyone remember Wasted Youth from the Bridge House over at Caning town? 40 years after their last gig at the Venue Victoria they are playing a gig in London! Haha, I can't imagine what they will be like, wasted youth in their 60s. The drummer and bass player are both dead and it's remarkable that the singer and guitarist are still alive the amount of drugs they did. Still loved the at that time. Great memories of some great gigs. 
    Blimey, blast from the past.
    Was going to The Bridge House quite a lot in the early 80s, saw The Damned, Cockney Rejects and Rory Gallagher there on different occasions (Gallagher was doing a warm up night for his (I think) 6 nights at Hammersmith Odeon).
    I saw the Damned and the Rejects there too, plus Tom Robinson Band, also a great gig by 999 … terrific venue back in the day 
    A bizarre venue - literally in the middle of nowhere and strange layout. Saw loads of gigs there.
  • Options
    Royal Albert Hall last night to see Richard Ashcroft, absolutely brilliant:

• Options
    Just back from seeing Baxter Dury at Kentish Town Forum, been on my list to see him for quite a while and I wasn’t disappointed. He was absolutely brilliant. Definitely a unique performer who is doing something completely different to pretty much anyone else. My only gripe is that he didn’t play ‘White Coats’.

My first gig since the pandemic, really felt good to be back.
  • Options
    Sensei said:

Went to see Paul Heaton at the London Palladium tonight.  He was supposed to be performing with Jacqui Abbott who is sadly unwell and had to withdraw.  Great selection of songs new and old and Heaton’s voice was typically sweet despite that fact that he’s almost 60. Three quarters of the way through the set Heaton performs the ritual ‘I’d like to introduce the band..’ routine.  ‘What I’ll do is run through each member and let you have their name, their instrument and then the football team that they support”

Heaton starts to his left and proceeds anti-clockwise around his band assembled on the stage.

Loud boos from audience prompted Heaton to add “But what about his guitar playing” cue the cheers.

“Next up it’s Dave on the trumpet, he supports Man City” applause but muted boos.

“Then we have John on trombone, he supports Aston Villa” applause but muted grumbles.

Cue cheers from me in the shit seats in the Upper Circle and I could hear other Addicks also celebrating the shout out in the more comfortable but crowded Stalls.

For those interested the remaining bass guitarist was an Everton supporter and Heaton himself admitted his Sheffield United allegiance after first suggesting he was a fan of showjumping and Formula One, what a scallywag.

So both his Keyboard player and favourite crisps have strong Charlton connections.
  • Options
    Just back from seeing Baxter Dury at Kentish Town Forum, been on my list to see him for quite a while and I wasn’t disappointed. He was absolutely brilliant. Definitely a unique performer who is doing something completely different to pretty much anyone else. My only gripe is that he didn’t play ‘White Coats’.

I'll have to take a listen.
  • Options

Me and my two Sons (all Addicks) were there too.  Yes it was a good gig but he didn't exactly work up a sweat did he?  Came on stage at around 21:20 and his first  encore was finishing as we left at 22:15, did he do another song or two?
    Very crowded standing gig and the queues for the bar were very lengthy. Not the best venue in the world.
  • Options
    Sensei said:

So both his Keyboard player and favourite crisps have strong Charlton connections.

You've got me there Suede, I know Heaton is a bit of a crisp connoisseur but I don't know the Charlton connection with that one? 
  • Options
    Saw In This Moment and Black Veil Brides last week. 

Never seen BVB before and they were good. ITM seem to be stuck, I swear I’ve seen the same show 4 times now. They need to change up the set list, or maybe release some new songs. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Heaton's keyboard player recently has been Stephen Large, who I used to see with Glenn Tilbrook/Squeeze at the Pelton Arms. Brilliant all round musician. I reckon it's him.
  • Options
    Heaton's keyboard player recently has been Stephen Large, who I used to see with Glenn Tilbrook/Squeeze at the Pelton Arms. Brilliant all round musician. I reckon it's him.
    Thank you Falconwood - it would appear that you are absolutely correct, mystery solved!  
  • Options
    Tears for Fears with Alison Moyet in Cardiff Castle next July 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
    And I’d completely forgotten I’d booked Texas for February next year in the Cork Opera House.
    Going to gigs again 😍😍🤩🤩
  • Options
    Soft Cell last night - Hammersmith Odeon
  • Options
    I'm off to see Secret Affair at the Concord 2 in Brighton next Friday. Booked the day off and treated ourselves to a night in The Grand Hotel afterwards.
  • Options
    I'm off to see Secret Affair at the Concord 2 in Brighton next Friday. Booked the day off and treated ourselves to a night in The Grand Hotel afterwards.
    Oh you lucky thing!
    I absolutely love them.
    Enjoy 👍🏼
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Dave Gahan with Soulsavers doing 2 gigs very soon (5th Dec, London Coliseum; 7th Dec, Shepherds Bush). Playing the 'Imposter' covers album that's just been released. Very few (if any) tickets left. I'm heading to the Coliseum on the 5th. 
  • Options

Love him mate. Miami is hilarious. Oi is as good as anything his dad did. Night Chancers a great album. 
  • Options
    Went to see Hawkwind 2 weeks ago at the Palladium. Seen em about 30 times over the years and I have to say it was the worst I’ve seen them. Still love em but when you know a band so well you get over critical at times. I don’t really like the Palladium as a venue either. 

Can’t wait for Spiritualized at the Roundhouse next year. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jools Holland at the Royal Albert Hall for me on Friday. 
  • Options
    Just back from the Royal Opera House after seeing La Traviata. Does that still count as going to a gig?
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    Just back from the Royal Opera House after seeing La Traviata. Does that still count as going to a gig?
    No  :D
  • Options
    Jools Holland at the Royal Albert Hall for me on Friday. 
    Me too!
  • Options
    Holland, Hucknall, Difford, and what is Lulu's surname?
  • Options
    Sam Fender at the Ally Pally tonight, postponed from when Covid kicked off. Not been to the venue before, seems a bit of a ball-ache. Any suggestions in that respect re travel /food and drink?
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    Holland, Hucknall, Difford, and what is Lulu's surname?
    Jools and his boogie woogie was brilliant as always and Ruby Turner belted out a few numbers to boot.
    Marie McDonald McLaughlin Lawrie is her full name.
    73 going on 30!!
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Sam Fender at the Ally Pally tonight, postponed from when Covid kicked off. Not been to the venue before, seems a bit of a ball-ache. Any suggestions in that respect re travel /food and drink?
    We used to live in Muswell Hill, not been there for a while but there was plenty of decent places to eat/drink there. No direct route there but you can get a bus from Highgate station (43 I think) that only takes a few minutes to get to Muswell Hill broadway. About a 20 minute walk from there to Ally Pally (or 5 minutes in a cab).
  • Options
    Cheers mate.
  • Options
    Dear local/gig music people. I want to take a friend and her son to a SE London pub to watch some live music. I used to go to the New Cross in, what other alternative music venues would people recommend?