Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gig spy

Comments

• Options
    Going to the Mods Mayday gig in Islington on May 6th. Secret Affair, Purple Hearts, Chords UK and others. The Selecter are playing Koko in Camden the night before and we thought of staying nearby and going to both. Couldn’t see why there were hardly any hotels available and those that were were ridiculous prices. Then we realised what else is happening in London on May 6th!
    Takes me back to the Bridge House in Canning Town.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Went to see The Damned at Brighton Dome last night. Bit boring to be honest. First half was mainly their new album, which isn't released yet, so I was unfamiliar with most of the songs, and those that I knew, I'm not a big fan of.
    Second half better as it was their best known and my favourite stuff. Was let down by the sound quality, which has always seemed to have been an issue with The Damned. The band I've seen most times,  but last night may have been my last.
  • Options
    I hadn’t heard of, Yo La Tengo, no surprise there but a friend had tickets for their gig at the Palladium last Friday, really enjoyed it, thought they were very good and surprised to find out how long they’ve been around.
  • Options
    Going to the Mods Mayday gig in Islington on May 6th. Secret Affair, Purple Hearts, Chords UK and others. The Selecter are playing Koko in Camden the night before and we thought of staying nearby and going to both. Couldn’t see why there were hardly any hotels available and those that were were ridiculous prices. Then we realised what else is happening in London on May 6th!
    Love Secret Affair, got some cracking songs.
  • Options
    I hadn’t heard of, Yo La Tengo, no surprise there but a friend had tickets for their gig at the Palladium last Friday, really enjoyed it, thought they were very good and surprised to find out how long they’ve been around.
    Yep they are great,  and have been for a long time shame they are under the radar
  • Options
    I went to a Mary Lattimore gig in a small church in Shrewsbury a few days ago, she's a brilliant instrumentalist and harpist, blends layers and loops brilliantly live,  if ambient music is your genre give her a listen. 
  • Options
    Our niece's friend's wedding.  Can't think why that would affect the hotel prices.  Actually, they're wedding is in St Paul's, they were going to stay nearby that night, and the hotel cancelled their booking without even telling them.  Money grabbing shites.  You hope they never manage to rebook the room at the stupid price they're now charging.
  • Options

GOAT at Electric, Brixton last night.  Swedish heavy rock without much in the way of vocals and a lot of tabla.  All in masks.  Enjoyable but best live, I wouldn't buy the music.  Probably the strangest gig I've eve been to.
  • Options
    Ditto.  You can see my (long gone) luscious locks on the cover of the album that was recorded live that day.
  • Options
    Two gigs in October at the Roundhouse:
    Rival Sons
    Larkin Poe.
    Saw Larkin Poe about a month ago in Boston. They were excellent, definitely on my “see again” list. 

Next up, KT Tunstall on Friday, Spiritbox on Saturday. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ditto.  You can see my (long gone) luscious locks on the cover of the album that was recorded live that day.
    My favourite Mod band from that time was the Teenbeats - never quite made it. Great live.

Back to Zero were another favourite.

So many great venues disappeared ..
  • Options
    My favourite Mod band from that time was the Teenbeats - never quite made it. Great live.

Back to Zero were another favourite.

So many great venues disappeared ..
    Mine was The Chords, with Secret Affair a close second. 
  • Options
    Two gigs in October at the Roundhouse:
    Rival Sons
    Larkin Poe.
    Saw Larkin Poe about a month ago in Boston. They were excellent, definitely on my “see again” list. 

Next up, KT Tunstall on Friday, Spiritbox on Saturday. 
    Diverse genres there
  • Options
    Went to see Hawkwind on Saturday at the Indigo in then O2.

seen them 25 times now and this was by far the best for years. 

Dave Brock is 81 and still sings for 90 minutes and plays a mean geetar. 

I love em.
  • Options
    So far this year my weird gigs lined up are:

Roger Waters, Tom Jones, Primal Scream, Happy Mondays, The Streets and the Wonder Stuff.
  • Options
    Shrew said:
    I went to a Mary Lattimore gig in a small church in Shrewsbury a few days ago, she's a brilliant instrumentalist and harpist, blends layers and loops brilliantly live,  if ambient music is your genre give her a listen. 
    Nice one @Shrew - I saw her last week in a church in Bethnal Green, it was brilliant. 
  • Options
    Orion orchestra conducted by Nicolas Daniel performed “Das Lied Von Der Erde” (Mahler) at St James’s Spanish Place Marylebone. Soloists: Nicky Spence - Tenor and Lauren Young - Mezzo.

• Options
    A friend introduced me to Steve Mason at Electric Ballroom, Camden on Thursday. A very good gig.

• Options
    When Rivers Meet @ the Komedia Brighton, very good.
  • Options
    Cracking gig, all the bands were good but 9 Below Zero stole the show.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Brand New Heavies at Deptford Green School in New Cross tonight.

• Options
    edited May 2023
    I saw Coach Party at the Tunbridge Wells Forum. Decent band that are on the way up with some good tracks.

• Options
    Went to Shepherds Bush Empire last night to see Leee John of Imagination and the supporting band Central Line. I was pleasantly surprised on how much I enjoyed the evening including the after show party. I think that was the first time I have been to the empire but thought it was a lovely theatre.

• Options
    Solidgone said:
    Went to Shepherds Bush Empire last night to see Leee John of Imagination and the supporting band Central Line. I was pleasantly surprised on how much I enjoyed the evening including the after show party. I think that was the first time I have been to the empire but thought it was a lovely theatre.

I saw Imagination at The Orchard on the evening of the Palace game when they announced we were leaving The Valley. Was a good show but I just sat there with the hump all night.
  • Options
    MESH O2 Islington . Top Form from a Great Band . 
  • Options
    Blur, Eastbourne. Band on great, playful form. Graham’s guitar playing amazing and Damon enjoying himself (which was quite rare towards the end of the 90s).
  • Options
    Watched the Foo Fighters stream last night. The band in the studio with new drummer Josh Freese running through old and new tracks ahead of tour dates. Great to see them all so relaxed after what happened to Taylor last year. Looking forward to seeing them live soon…

• Options
    BalladMan said:
    Blur, Eastbourne. Band on great, playful form. Graham’s guitar playing amazing and Damon enjoying himself (which was quite rare towards the end of the 90s).
    Really like the new single (album title needed more work though 😉) and looking forward to the Wembley gig. Last time I saw them live was the 2012 London Olympics closing gig in Hyde Park. They had Bombay Bicycle Club, The Specials & New Order as guests.  This time, I get to see The Selector and my personal hero, Paul Weller.  Not too shabby a guest list for both those gigs 😊
  • Options

Went to this on Saturday, absolutely brilliant.

Highlights for me were The Farm, Boomtown Rats and OMD. As well as Neal X doing Love Missile F1-11.

Surprised how good Nik Kershaw was.