Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gig spy

Comments

• Options
    Saw Christine and The Queens at RFH on Saturday.

Best gig I've been to in years.

Something way different from the usual guitar stuff I've seen recently.

Playing Glastonbury on Saturday, but not sure their performance will transfer to the outside unless it's late at night/dark. Very arty and very deep meaning stuff.

Also, saw Bruce Springsteen in Edinburgh 2 weeks back.

Thought the first two hours were heavy going with no crowd interaction inbetween songs, just song after song with no break in between, however the last hour was all killer no filler.

He is still worth seeing and at 73 he is superb.

Murrayfield is a fantastic venue and way better than standing in Hyde Park imo.

• Options
    Steve Earle this weekend at the Barbican
  • Options
    Went to Leeds Rocks at the weekend (one day event on Saturday) OMD, Soft Cell, Midge Ure, Toney Hadley, Roland Gift, Heatwave, The Real Thing, The Farm, Hue & Cry, Dr And The Medics, Slim Jim (Stray Cats) and Livin Joy along with Junior were the main bands.
  • Options
    heading to jamie t next friday at finsbury park -have a spare ticket happy to sell for face value and can transfer via the ticketing app. 

• Options
    At a Mod all dayer in Colchester tomorrow. Small World are headlining, along with Chris Pope from The Chords and 3 other bands. 
  • Options
    Arctic Monkeys tomorrow at The Emirates.
    Depeche Mode tomorrow, Arctic Monkeys Sunday.
    Had a mare getting back from this on Sunday. It was chaos.........................
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    Had a mare getting back from this on Sunday. It was chaos.........................
    Holloway Road station was shut on the Saturday (we knew in advance) so had a 15 min walk to Highbury & Islington station.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    Holloway Road station was shut on the Saturday (we knew in advance) so had a 15 min walk to Highbury & Islington station.
    We knew about Holloway Station being closed and came in via Drayton Park. We opted to get the 21 from Holloway, except the bus never turned up, had to wait an hour, then every bus stop was rammed in front of us. It crawled into Lewisham just before 0100.

Going to see Pulp in Finsbury Park next month, hoping for a smoother journey home...
  • Options
    If you moved north of the river it will cut down your travelling time to gigs 🤓
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    We knew about Holloway Station being closed and came in via Drayton Park. We opted to get the 21 from Holloway, except the bus never turned up, had to wait an hour, then every bus stop was rammed in front of us. It crawled into Lewisham just before 0100.

Going to see Pulp in Finsbury Park next month, hoping for a smoother journey home...
    Victoria line H&I to Victoria.
    Train to Bromley South. I was home by 23.30.
    I don't think I've ever got on a bus "up town".
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    sold my spare for jamie t for fv which im happy with. 

really looking forward to it now, have also nabbed tickets to tom clarke of the enemy live in september, and am now going to blur in july due to a spare ticket being offered 
  • Options
    Saw a band on Saturday from Folkstone called the Phenomenal Cat.....very good.
  • Options

really looking forward to it now, have also nabbed tickets to tom clarke of the enemy live in september, and am now going to blur in july due to a spare ticket being offered 
    Really looking forward to Idles > Jamie T on Friday.  From a recent interview, Jamie seems really up for using it as a celebration of his body of work (rather than it being hard work, which he has admitted he sometimes feels when playing live).  
  • Options
    There's a pop quiz programme  called Popmaster TV on More 4 at 8pm every day this week.
    I wouldn't call it entertaining, but it is a quite hard quiz & if you like to pause and have a think it's more than decent.
  • Options

You done well. I think they'll be reduced by 50% on Twickets tomorrow.
  • Options
    I know that this has been brought up before but people talking at gigs.

I go to a lot of gigs but was at a “big” gig for the first time for many years, The Chicks at Glasgow Hydro.  Remember now why I hate big gigs. Soulless, concrete shell, miles away from stage.

But the worst thing was the 2 women sat beside me talking very loudly throughout.  I eventually asked them to shut up and was told that if I wanted to listen to music I should stay at home and listen to a CD “ya tit”.

But it did make me reflect.  I’ve always considered myself on being in the right when challenging particularly noisy people at gigs (hell, I’ve even called out my mates on more than one occasion).  But, at the end of each song I sat politely clapping, whereas the 2 talkers would scream and whoop and help make an atmosphere, so perhaps they are right?
  • Options
    Guns N Roses at Hyde park. Thought it was awesome. Three solid hours, no late start, Axl's voice was better than last couple of times I've heard him... Good atmosphere, but so many pissed people with obviously poor diets... Got frequent air biscuits.

They don't like having tube stations within a 20 minute walk open either. Had to get on at picadilly for the way home, guess it disburses everyone.

Bruce Springsteen next week!
  • Options
    Looking forward to Blur/Weller/Selector at Wembley next Sunday. 
  • Options
    Pulp at Finsbury Park - terrific show, but weird crowd with lots chatting away through half the set. Used to it at a lot of London gigs (Pozi at the 100 Club was pretty much ruined by it the other week) but not at a big outdoor show. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pulp at Finsbury Park - terrific show, but weird crowd with lots chatting away through half the set. Used to it at a lot of London gigs (Pozi at the 100 Club was pretty much ruined by it the other week) but not at a big outdoor show. 
    I was at this too and thought they were excellent.
    Shame the set wasn't longer.

I didn't have any issues with the crowd, my main grievances were the queue for the bar and the gushing toilets.

I don't really like the setup at Finsbury Park, the footprint is a weird shape and it's always chaotic, with lots of bottlenecks.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

I didn't have any issues with the crowd, my main grievances were the queue for the bar and the gushing toilets.

I don't really like the setup at Finsbury Park, the footprint is a weird shape and it's always chaotic, with lots of bottlenecks.
    I had two different experiences at Finsbury this weekend.  
    Friday : Jamie T, Idles.  Seemed to be only 3/4 full, bars and food easy access, toilets fine, easy exit, home in an hour
    Saturday : Pulp.  Too rammed (dangerously so at some points), bars were 30 min queue, food sometimes worse, took 2 hours to get home

Finsbury is not setup for 40k+ gigs, but seemed to handle 30k-ish OK.  

What I don't get is the food and bars. The event organiser could easily generate 20%+ extra revenue by adding more bars / food.  Unless there is a licencing restriction preventing more, I just don't get why they would not want to make more ££ 
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Pulp were fantastic but the infrastructure just wasn't there at Finsbury park, then had a nightmare getting home and had to shell out for a taxi from St Pancras.

Blur at Wembley on Saturday, unfortunately seem to have ended up with worse support acts than the Sunday (for my taste) but do at least get to see snooker legend Steve Davis do a dj set..
  • Options
    follett said:
    Pulp were fantastic but the infrastructure just wasn't there at Finsbury park, then had a nightmare getting home and had to shell out for a taxi from St Pancras.

Blur at Wembley on Saturday, unfortunately seem to have ended up with worse support acts than the Sunday (for my taste) but do at least get to see snooker legend Steve Davis do a dj set..
    Steve Davis the prog god that he is. 
  • Options
    Saw Roger Waters at the O2 2 weeks ago. 5th time ive seen him and whilst the set list was good it could have been improved by a few different choices as its his last hurrah. Also far too much talking and ranting about being cancelled,  still better than most though.

• Options
    Also at Finsbury Park for Pulp on Saturday - they were brilliant, JC is a great showman.

Wet Leg were better than I'd thought they'd be.

Baxter Dury was a strange one for me. Started out thinking wtf but his music kind of grew on me. His lady backing singer had a great voice.

Exotic Gardens reminded me of relaxing on a foreign holiday with chilled music playing in the background.
  • Options
    BalladMan said:
    PopIcon said:

I had two different experiences at Finsbury this weekend.  
    Friday : Jamie T, Idles.  Seemed to be only 3/4 full, bars and food easy access, toilets fine, easy exit, home in an hour
    Saturday : Pulp.  Too rammed (dangerously so at some points), bars were 30 min queue, food sometimes worse, took 2 hours to get home

Finsbury is not setup for 40k+ gigs, but seemed to handle 30k-ish OK.  

What I don't get is the food and bars. The event organiser could easily generate 20%+ extra revenue by adding more bars / food.  Unless there is a licencing restriction preventing more, I just don't get why they would not want to make more ££ 
    I spoke to a bloke at the Pulp gig, he was also at Jamie T and echo'd what you said regarding fullness.
    There were LOADS of tickets listed for Jamie T on Thursday (before they were removed) they were discounted by up to 50%.

There was a fatality on the Thameslink so those heading southbound had to get off at Kings Cross.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

Getting out of there was a pain in the arse - got a lot of sympathy for the locals who are annoyed with the park being used for gigs. That area simply can't cope with 45,000-capacity shows. 

We had to pretty much do a full circuit of the arena to get out, without great lighting. We hoped to get a Thameslink back south but had to settle for a King's Cross mainline train - apparently people were being kettled in the queue for Tube and were stuck for ages, so we made the right choice. 

It'll be worse for people going to Wireless this week - no southbound trains because of the industrial action so even bigger queues for the Tube. 
  • Options
    Yes, it's dangerous getting out of Finsbury Park in a big crowd.
    I had this with Liam Gallagher a few years back.
    All funnelled through a small gap in the dark on uneven ground with many people tripping/falling.
    Bloody dangerous.
  • Options
    Yes, it's dangerous getting out of Finsbury Park in a big crowd.
    I had this with Liam Gallagher a few years back.
    All funnelled through a small gap in the dark on uneven ground with many people tripping/falling.
    Bloody dangerous.
    It's their own fault for taking mind bending drugs