Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January (2017) Transfer (Rumours) Thread - (Deadline Dayfrom page 67)

Comments

• Dansk_Red said:

Gillingham have sacked Edinburgh.

Gillingham have parted company with manager Justin Edinburgh after just short of two years in the position.

Sky Sports News HQ understands chairman Paul Scally met with Edinburgh this morning following yesterday’s 1-0 home defeat to Oxford - a result which left the club 17th in Sky Bet League One.

Edinburgh was relieved of his duties along with backroom staff members David Kerslake and Wayne Hatswell.

We are expecting a statement from Scally before midday outlining the decision.

Scally was in The Plume of Feathers after the Millwall-Gillingham game, with Hessenthaler and Wise who were there to tell him what was going wrong at Gillingham. I should have put a monkey on Edinburgh being out of a job within the week.
    Why does Dennis Wise seem to have so much influence at certain clubs? What actually qualifies him?
  • Sky:

News from the Championship now and Burton Albion have signed Luke Varney from Ipswich Town on an 18-month contract.
  • edited January 2017

Anyone care to do a summary for those of us not fully up to date with this thread?!

Lookman is off to Everton (Having his Medical today)
    Samir Carruthers (MK Dons) was linked but has joined Sheffield United

Jake Forster-Caskey is rumoured to be joining us on a perm deal from Brighton in the next 48-hours

We're now linked with:
    - Nathan Byrne (Wigan... RB / RM)
    - Brad Potts (Blackpool... CM)
    - Ben Reeves (MK Dons ... CM)
    Cheers FA.

Anyone know what type of midfielder Potts is?

I know Reeves is a number 10, is Potts an alternative to him or does he play a deeper role?

No rumours of wingers which im my view we will need at least 1 maybe 2 of, given lookman leaving.
    Guess Nathan Byrne is one of the Wingers (Right) with DaSilva (Left)

Seems as though Brad Potts has about 200 appearances in League Two with a good number of goals and assists from Midfield
    Now I know we don't do 'assembling a proper sized squad' under RD but stuck with me on this one.

I believe the general rule of thumb is roughly 2 players per position minus one or two (a back up player can cover more than one position or youth can be promoted to cover gaps).

Karl wants to play 4231 so roughly

Rudd Phillips
    Solly Foley
    Fox Chicksen
    Bauer Tex Pearce Lennon
    Crofts Ulvestad Konsa Jacko (+1)
    Holmes Lookman Botaka Dasilva (+1)
    Aribo (+1)
    Magennis Novak Ajose Hanlan Umerah KAG

Before any leave I'd quite like one more CM, an extra winger (because I'm not yet sold on Botaka and he is going to ACON and Dasilva is unproven so could go either way) and another number 10 to take some pressure off Aribo.

Now we expect Foley Fox Lookman to leave.

Wouldn't be surprised if any of Rudd, Tex, Bauer, Konsa, Lennon left.

So to me a full squad will need 6 more in.

Byrne I see as replacement for Foley and can cover RM in the same way Chicksen can cover LM. I'm not sure either of them would be a long term option as an inside forward in a 4231 other than for a few games..

I think we are leaving ourselves slightly short.

E.g. Botaka is a return ACON. Holmes still not back from injury and say Solly breaks down again. Suddenly we want Byrne to play RB and RW. Or we have to weaken the midfield by moving Konsa to RB....
  • Sky:

News from the Championship now and Burton Albion have signed Luke Varney from Ipswich Town on an 18-month contract.

Burton signed Sordell the other day so an ex Charlton dynamic duo up front.

Although Varney is ok as he's scored winning goals against Palace.
  • edited January 2017
    Wondering... if we've loaned in Dasilva and we're rumoured to be looking at Byrne, but not any wingers, could Robinson be looking to switch us to 3-5-2?

It would mean we'd be able to play Tex, Bauer and Pearce together.
  • Wondering... if we've loaned in Dasilva and we're rumoured to be looking at Byrne, but not any wingers, could Robinson be looking to switch us to 3-5-2?

Pearce won't be back for a long time yet. Robinson has made clear how much he rates Solly so can't see him leaving him out.

He also likes to play expansive 4-2-3-1 with the full backs pushing on.

Think if we sign Byrne he will be back up right back, otherwise right midfield.

Can see a team of:

Rudd
    Solly Bauer Tex Chicksen
    Forster-Caskey Crofts
    Byrne Aribo Holmes
    Magennis

Phillips, Konsa, Dasilva, Ulvestad, Botaka, Ajose, Novak

That's without Lennon, Jackson and youngsters like KAG & maybe Potts, Reeves and anyone else we might sign.

All very theoretical of course.
  • Sponsored links:

• sam3110 said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38449936

BBC saying terms agreed for Lookman. £11m?

Maybe I am out of touch with modern transfer fees but am I wrong to think that 11m for a player that has scored about ten goals or so in league one and has been in and out of our team isn't bad going?

My problem is how the money will be used and whether it will be re invested. Not how much.
    Ain't all upfront, that's the problem. Will be something like 4m up front, 2m after England cap, and the other 5m based on appearances, goals, Everton getting into Europe and other such stuff
    It will be just our luck that Everton will find out about his Belgian ancestry.
  • Sage said:

Wondering... if we've loaned in Dasilva and we're rumoured to be looking at Byrne, but not any wingers, could Robinson be looking to switch us to 3-5-2?

Pearce won't be back for a long time yet. Robinson has made clear how much he rates Solly so can't see him leaving him out.

He also likes to play expansive 4-2-3-1 with the full backs pushing on.

Think if we sign Byrne he will be back up right back, otherwise right midfield.

Can see a team of:

Rudd
    Solly Bauer Tex Chicksen
    Forster-Caskey Crofts
    Byrne Aribo Holmes
    Magennis

Phillips, Konsa, Dasilva, Ulvestad, Botaka, Ajose, Novak

That's without Lennon, Jackson and youngsters like KAG & maybe Potts, Reeves and anyone else we might sign.

All very theoretical of course.
    Like the look of that team.
  • John Harriott ‏@FootballAgent38 1h1 hour ago
    BREAKING NEWS: Charlton Athletic are in contract talks to sign Shola Ameobi, who is currently a free agent #CAFC

Not sure how reliable this account is. Not many followers.

Please God no.
  • He must be 74 years old?!?
    BREAKING NEWS: Charlton Athletic are in contract talks to sign Shola Ameobi, who is currently a free agent #CAFC

Unbelievable Jeff.
    Linked with all sorts of exciting prospects and we could end up with that useless lump of blowfly shit!

Got to be a Millwall account having a joke - he's 35! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shola_Ameobi
  • cafc-west said:

John Harriott ‏@FootballAgent38 1h1 hour ago

Got to be a Millwall account having a joke - he's 35! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shola_Ameobi
    That what it says on his passport anyway. He's about the same age as Kanu.
  • Sponsored links:

• Fumbluff said:

cafc-west said:

@TraceyLeaburn has just posted again on Twitter. She is with Tony Watt!!

who's
    Wattys back, tell your friends....
  • edited January 2017

Fumbluff said:

cafc-west said:

who's
    Wattys back, tell your friends....
    Will he want to fight Aribo for the number 32 back?
  • Nice to see that he looks happy to be looking out of his Royal Arsenal 600K flat
  • cafc-west said:

Was speaking to Tracey Leaburn this afternoon on Bromley Addicks business. She said it was OK to post on here that she feels he's come back a different, more mature person. Come off social media and planning to do his talking with his feet. Fingers crossed she is right.
    She cannot say anything different.
  • cafc-west said:

Was speaking to Tracey Leaburn this afternoon on Bromley Addicks business. She said it was OK to post on here that she feels he's come back a different, more mature person. Come off social media and planning to do his talking with his feet. Fingers crossed she is right.
    Talk is cheap.
  • edited January 2017
    Okay, so lets say, just for a moment, that Watt is back and at, or close to, his best, a new leaf has been turned, and he's going to perform consistently on the pitch.

And lets assume that KR will set us up ti play 4-2-3-1.

Where does what play?

Upfront (meaning you drop Magennis)?
    No. 10?
    Narrower as one of the wide men in the 3?
  • He must be 74 years old?!?

No that's his younger brother