Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January (2017) Transfer (Rumours) Thread - (Deadline Dayfrom page 67)

Comments

• JamesSeed said:

like with all these young prospects, playing in the u21s/development league is all well and good but no where near as physical and demanding as league 1.

If Lookman had been on Arsenals books I would suggest he would also be in their under 21's yet was clearly good enough for League 1. Lets give the boy a chance shall we?
    lets and will be one of the reasons why we havent gone up this season because of the constant pissing about by skinflint.

wasnt writing him off just saying hes young and not experienced in this league, challenges are a lot harder in this league etc.
    Yes. And Slade being so negative with his team selection and tactics (although he did good stuff behind the scenes).
    Too many draws.
    The new Slade managerial equivalent of "good touch for a big man"
  • Oggy Red said:

That Arsenal lad sure knows how to win a free kick.
    Supposed to be quite physical. Good movement and quite a handful for defenders.

Seems to be able to play wide and through the middle.
    Not so sure about all the Calli_Messi stepovers.

Raw 18 year old though.
    Could be a useful player to throw on for the last 15 minutes if we're chasing the game.

Sounds like a decent addition.
  • Ben18 said:

JamesSeed said:

like with all these young prospects, playing in the u21s/development league is all well and good but no where near as physical and demanding as league 1.

If Lookman had been on Arsenals books I would suggest he would also be in their under 21's yet was clearly good enough for League 1. Lets give the boy a chance shall we?
    lets and will be one of the reasons why we havent gone up this season because of the constant pissing about by skinflint.

wasnt writing him off just saying hes young and not experienced in this league, challenges are a lot harder in this league etc.
    Yes. And Slade being so negative with his team selection and tactics (although he did good stuff behind the scenes).
    Too many draws.
    The new Slade managerial equivalent of "good touch for a big man"
    Or "Not a great goal scorer, but a scorer of great goals."
  • edited January 2017
    Ajose back to Swindon, loan deal CONFIRMED

NEWS | Nicky Ajose has rejoined @Official_STFC on loan until the end of the season --> https://t.co/tiOyHPDHir #cafc https://t.co/4LthoJIZPx
  • Ajose back to Swindon.

Called that one right then... @Lincsaddick ;-)
    You certainly did, good inside info.
  • cabbles said:

MrLargo said:

He's cheap so ideal for Charlton

Not to mention young and completely inexperienced. Basically, the sort of player you should be going for if you're on Shrewsbury Town's budget and aspirations, not the sort of player you'd bring in if you were trying to "build a squad capable of challenging for promotion" (Quote K Meire, April 2016).
    I liken our transfer policy to my clothes shopping. Occasionally I will go out and spend £100 plus on a pair of jeans because I know it's the right thing to do if you want quality and have any chance of looking the part, but most of the time I'll be skulking round the t-shirt racks of tk maxx buying £15 dodgy brand name shirts that don't fit me properly, just because I'm trying to save money. I convince myself I look okay, but then I go out with it on and feel uncomfortable compared to all my mates who have better fitted attire and look trendy.

I just look like a c*** with ill fitting clothing and have to get hammered to forget my miserable presence.

Something similar is happening at se7
    i buy trainers because i know they look ok
  • Sponsored links:

• Note KR saying another striker and Magennis "back soon".
  • supaclive said:

LOAN! FFS. What a load of nonsense.

Where do you think Swindon would get the money to take him permanently ? We needed his wages off the books and have a deal with probably the only club that would take him.

Not great but it is what it is.
  • I'm going to stick my neck out now and say we'll sign an Arsenal striker very soon.
  • supaclive said:

LOAN! FFS. What a load of nonsense.

Where do you think Swindon would get the money to take him permanently ? We needed his wages off the books and have a deal with probably the only club that would take him.

Not great but it is what it is.
    Doubt they are paying all his wages.
  • I'm going to stick my neck out now and say we'll sign an Arsenal striker very soon.

But not the one that's been quoted to be joining.
  • I'm told this Liverpool kid can also play right back. That makes a bit more sense to me then. Means we have some cover for Solly without having to move Konsa/Byrne if we don't want to.
  • At least (as a loan) he won't be able to play against us on the final game of the season (assuming we don't make the playoffs!).
  • Wigan have submitted an offer for Omar Bogle according to skysports, let the Will Grigg speculation begin again.
  • Sponsored links:

• colthe3rd said:

you'd think with Byrne and Holmes in the side we could start playing to Ajose's strengths. He has proved he can score goals at this level yet we are going to replace him with nothing more than a punt.

Completely agree. He's had 4 months, club's get criticised for giving manager's not enough time well this is the same imo. Unless there's something we don't know about but in that case why not just sell him rather than loan. Very strange situation.
    The constant churn of managers and players is the thing this regime is the thing that is most wrong about this club currently, at least from a playing perspective.

On the one hand, it is pointless hanging onto players that KR did not sign and does not rate or feel can work in his preferred system. To be fair, Ajose hasn't shown much that suggests he's a lone striker in the making and that is clearly how Karl wants to play.

However, this is why it is critical that, whatever our final position this season, KR is given time, and I mean like proper time - 2 or 3 seasons, to build, consolidate and get it right.

The owners need to show some genuine patience, but so do some fans. Short-termism is killing the club.
  • Ajose needs to get match fit and he'll settle at Swindon easily. His stock has been Charltonised already so not many clubs would take a 'money' punt on a player that isn't making the first team of a mid-table League one team. He's off the pay-roll as others have said, so if it free's up old tight-arse's purse strings for a loan of someone else, so be it.

With over £100m spent in Championship so far it's easy to see why we aren't buying. We aren't going to unearth another Lookie any time soon.

Scunthorpe wanting £8m for Van Veen. The worlds gone mad!
  • Not a Charlton rumour but news just in Kevin Nolan has just signed himself for Notts County; hows that for a free transfer

Does he get a signing on fee?!

• Scunthorpe wanting £8m for Van Veen. The worlds gone mad!

Or not promotion would be worth a certain amount to them, you want him now pay up
  • David Cotterilll told he can leave Birmingham.

I saw that, decent player but Bristol city look set to get him.

would be perfect for us - hard working quality championship player