Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Everton agree fee for Lookman (ed. Gone)

Comments

• Options
    Scoham said:

Him leaving is absolutely nothing to do with RD and KM, no club in league 1 can turn down upwards of 5m upfront rising to 10m. In fact few clubs outside of the prem can. Stop trying to get little one ups over them because in my opinion it makes 'the cause' look really weak when you're acting like a promising young player leaving for a big club is such a shocking think that has only ever happened under these lot. Good luck to Ade, would've been nice to have a loan back and honestly I'm not too sure how he'll be diving straight in to the prem but I suppose we'll see.

Nothing to do with them? I get your point but we'd have more chance of keeping him if we were in the Championship. A year ago Karel Fraeye was in charge of our first team.

It's a shame he's leaving and in their mind it perhaps proves their plan is working. It's exactly what their vision for the club is all about. Fund the club by developing young players to sell on. Any success on the pitch is a bonus.

In the past the academy was there to provide players for the first team. We had ambition for success on the pitch. Players moved on as they outgrew us, which is fine.

We'll see how serious they are about promotion if the squad is stronger (overall) after the window closes.
    I think the tables already sorted that question out for us mate..!
  • Options

cabbles said:

PS @Leuth sorry you're feeling cranky over the festive period

Yeh.

Have you tried drinking?
    I've been off alcohol the entire time ffs, never had more in the house too. Will be a fun January at least
  • Options
    10 mill, my arse!!
  • Options
    For the price and the fact that we have a concrete buyer, it's the right decision to sell. Although having said that, if Lookman is Everton's priority signing, there may have been room for negotiation - at the very least in the form of a loan back.

I just hope we are getting a substantial amount upfront and that at least £2-3m is earmarked for transfers. If nothing is given and no players are bought, it will truly show RD up and where he stands.
  • Options

Him leaving is absolutely nothing to do with RD and KM, no club in league 1 can turn down upwards of 5m upfront rising to 10m. In fact few clubs outside of the prem can. Stop trying to get little one ups over them because in my opinion it makes 'the cause' look really weak when you're acting like a promising young player leaving for a big club is such a shocking think that has only ever happened under these lot. Good luck to Ade, would've been nice to have a loan back and honestly I'm not too sure how he'll be diving straight in to the prem but I suppose we'll see.

it's not the sale so much as the likely failure to reinvest the fee in positive additions to the squad.
  • Options

Scoham said:

Nothing to do with them? I get your point but we'd have more chance of keeping him if we were in the Championship. A year ago Karel Fraeye was in charge of our first team.

It's a shame he's leaving and in their mind it perhaps proves their plan is working. It's exactly what their vision for the club is all about. Fund the club by developing young players to sell on. Any success on the pitch is a bonus.

In the past the academy was there to provide players for the first team. We had ambition for success on the pitch. Players moved on as they outgrew us, which is fine.

We'll see how serious they are about promotion if the squad is stronger (overall) after the window closes.
    At least there would be no more doubts...
  • Options
    Do Waterloo FC get a sell on?
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    I'm surprised we kept him for this long, thought he was a goner in the summer.

Any ownership would snap a club's hands off for £10m (or £5m with add-ons) for a current League One player.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thommo said:

£200
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

10 mill, my arse!!

Indeed. People getting carried away by the £10m figure, not just here but it's all over facebook how people think it's good business. If they knew the figure you quoted previously, they might not be so enthusiastic about this deal.
  • Options
    Thommo said:

They would certainly deserve one - although depends on the terms agreed when he came to us.

All the angst about losing one of ours is somewhat misplaced in my view. Waterloo developed him from the age of 11 to 17 so in my mind he is not a product of our academy. Konsa on the other hand most definitely is one of ours.

If the figures being banded about are in any way accurate then the right decision would be to sell Lookman. That money should be reinvested in the squad but we know it won't be.
  • Options
    Surprised? No. Pissed off? Absolutely. Worried we'll be weaker by the close of the window than we were at the close of the last one? Guess.
  • Options

The bit that definately is to do with RD and KM is firstly whether it will all be reinvested in the team and secondly the element that is, will it be used wisely? Most of us suspect the answer to the first part is "small" and the second part "no". We hope to be proved wrong but we've all pretty much given up hope with this lot.

• Options
    I imagine he'll go into the Everton academy, so they can set a training plan for him, and perhaps get on the bench this season at most. He's cup tied, so no chance of playing in the FA Cup.

Probably out on loan next season unless he really comes on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Koeman has confirmed 'interest' but can't estimate when a deal may be done.
  • Options
    Splodge said:

Their squad isn't massive and they use people like Holgate and Calvert-Lewin, so why not Lookman? I'd expect him to be a sub every now and then.

Yeah agreed. All the indications in our local press is that he will be in the first team squad this season. Not as an immediate starter but as a rotation option, like Holgate and Calvert-Lewin. Koeman is decidedly unimpressed with players like Deulofeu, Mirallas and Lennon. I think he'd get a few sub appearances, and maybe the odd start this season, at least.
  • Options

Koeman has confirmed 'interest' but can't estimate when a deal may be done.

Expected to go through within the first few days of the window. Failing that Katrien will make him play wearing a 'for sale' sandwich board vs. Bristol Rovers.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Splodge said:

Their squad isn't massive and they use people like Holgate and Calvert-Lewin, so why not Lookman? I'd expect him to be a sub every now and then.

Yeah agreed. All the indications in our local press is that he will be in the first team squad this season. Not as an immediate starter but as a rotation option, like Holgate and Calvert-Lewin. Koeman is decidedly unimpressed with players like Deulofeu, Mirallas and Lennon. I think he'd get a few sub appearances, and maybe the odd start this season, at least.
    Lookman is nowhere near the level of Deulofeu, Mirallas and Lennon at the moment!
  • Options

Surprised? No. Pissed off? Absolutely. Worried we'll be weaker by the close of the window than we were at the close of the last one? Guess.

Yep, coupled with the supposed sale of Fox means AGAIN we are replacing rather than building on an existing squad.

• Options

Scoham said:

bobmunro said:

Thommo said:

They would certainly deserve one - although depends on the terms agreed when he came to us.

All the angst about losing one of ours is somewhat misplaced in my view. Waterloo developed him from the age of 11 to 17 so in my mind he is not a product of our academy. Konsa on the other hand most definitely is one of ours.

If the figures being banded about are in any way accurate then the right decision would be to sell Lookman. That money should be reinvested in the squad but we know it won't be.
    What's the cut off age then where he does count? He was 16 (not 17) when he signed a 2 year full time scholarship after he left school. He played for the u18s, won a pro contract, progressed to the u21s and then first team?

Darren Randolph and Mikhail Kennedy came over from Ireland when they were a similar age (I think both were a bit older), guess they don't count either. I believe Rob Elliot also joined at around 16/17.

What about those players that join at 13/14? They're all players that came through our academy and played in our youth system before progressing to the first team.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Leuth said:

Probably the only player we have actually worth anything on the open market. That's my Valley Gold cancelled. I accept we are a selling club. But, if this money goes straight to Douchebag to cover his losses because of his utter incompetence, then frankly my £10 a month will go to a better cause like my wine bill. That's my final link with a club I have supported for nearly 50 years now severed. Well done you Belgian tossers.

There's a logical disconnect in here. You're cancelling your Valley Gold over our non-spending in a transfer window that hasn't opened yet?
    No I think he is cancelling because when he joined up it was to help develop players like Bowyer Rufus and Parker, who would only be sold when it was impossible to keep them, because they were otherwise integral to our team's and club's progress.

At least thats why this has prompted me to cancel, and divert the money to the protest fund
    I want to pull this up, but please know I do so with the best of intentions, and I thank you and respect you both immensely for donating to Valley Gold down the years.

What constitutes "having to sell" in the modern era? It sounds like, to the young man's immense credit, Lookman isn't really forcing a move through (at least not publicly). But part of any youth program these days, apart from the top clubs like City and Chelsea who can keep loaning players out, is understanding that threshold where the money on offer is too good to turn down. Young, talented English players just don't stay at "smaller" clubs anymore, for many reasons not limited to the financial offers to the selling clubs and they player themselves.

Sorry, I know this isn't quite clear, I guess my question is what dictates "having to sell" a player? The way Parker acted was rubbish, but I don't want us to say "that's the only way we feel like we have to sell a player" because that sets a bad precedent.

Also, if it's more a case of not wanting to give this regime your hard earned money, I completely understand that.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

There's already a thread on this (probably) ........ Admin please sink

You know the rest