Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Everton agree fee for Lookman (ed. Gone)

Comments

• Options
    Reminds me of Raheem Sterling, on his day very good but frustrating when it's not going well, (typical young attacking player i suppose). Good luck to him hope he makes it.
  • Options
    He's got an eye for goal which probably does make him worth c £10m. Not that we will get anything like that.
  • Options
    If you think that a similar aged full back can go for £2m-£3m, then £6m-ish for an attacking player who is a potential match winner looks a reasonable bit of business for Everton.

Last January they spent the best part of £14m on a striker from the Russian league who has since been banished to their U23 squad, so they are obviously taking a different approach this year.

They are paying for what he could become, but are taking an affordable punt (for such an established Premier League club) that they can develop his natural ability into a more rounded player.

Hope it works out for him.
  • Options
    I don't understand this outpouring of disbelief at the price. I struggle to believe that any more than 3/4 million will be upfront and the rest in performance clauses, which if so triggered will suggest he's doing alright and he'll have a big resale value. He's a talented, young, homegrown attacker, who can be hard to come across. I wish him the best of luck.
  • Options
    On one hand will be sorry to see him go, but on the other wil be pleased he will have a chance to prove himself.
    Lookman has a lot of potential - sadly most of it has been wasted at Charlton with a series of managers/head coaches who are not able to get a consistently good team. Although it's fair to say that applies to others in the team too as I think there are a fair number who have more potential than their current circumstances permit.
    Given both the right coaching and team mates I think he will prove to be a superb asset. So if he really is off to Everton, I wish him all the best and hope he does well for himself. Will be interesting in a couple of years I think.
  • Options
    I think he'll do well , I think he always seems keen to be in possession of the ball and try something rather than crab it and take the easy option
  • Options
    Our top scorer and only decent creative player at the moment with Holmes injured.

£10m or whatever is fantastic, except as a fan it leaves me completely cold because it is unlikely to be reinvested and ultimately what I want to see is good players in our own team.

All I really care about is this: At the end of Jan, will the team I watch on a Saturday have more or less exciting players?
  • Options
    edited December 2016

'Securing promotion at the earliest opportunity...' Katrien Meire last month.

Well it's strongly suspected that she is a liar, did anyone believe her utterings ?
  • Options
    ross1 said:

Assume Lookman will not be playing against Southend

Carrying an injury.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

10m looks an amazing fee for us when you consider Everton signed striker Dominic Calvert-Lewin who is the same age as Lookman and also has England U20 caps from Sheffield United in the summer for just £1.5m

So wheres he
    Still at Everton, he only made his debut 2-3 weeks ago
  • Options

'Securing promotion at the earliest opportunity...' Katrien Meire last month.

Well it's a proven fact that she is a liar, did anyone believe her utterings ?
    careful - calling somebody a proven liar in print could get you in court
  • Options
    I actually thought we'd hold on to him for some bizarre reason
    I thought we'd b knocking on the play off door and would resist all offers till the end of the season .......wrong
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

RoyalBlue said:

Splodge said:

Their squad isn't massive and they use people like Holgate and Calvert-Lewin, so why not Lookman? I'd expect him to be a sub every now and then.

Yeah agreed. All the indications in our local press is that he will be in the first team squad this season. Not as an immediate starter but as a rotation option, like Holgate and Calvert-Lewin. Koeman is decidedly unimpressed with players like Deulofeu, Mirallas and Lennon. I think he'd get a few sub appearances, and maybe the odd start this season, at least.
    Amazed that Deulofeu and Mirallas are "unimpressive". They always look absolute class whenever I see them play. Would gladly do a swap deal, take those two on loan at no fee as part of the Lookman deal...

As for my thoughts on Lookman, that I've already posted elsewhere (on Reddit to be precise):
    You really are getting a treat of a footballer. I've twice seen him do a Zidane roulette to get past not just one, but two or three players at a time. He's fairly quick, really good positionally, great dribbler and completely unafraid to take players on. Great striker of the ball, unselfish, level-headed... And so much flair and skill - I really really love watching him play.

I reckon he's up there in terms of potential with Joe Gomez, in terms of players I've seen come through. And I rate both of them better than Jonjo Shelvey (who really, REALLY could have been so good if he wasn't lazy and mentally unwilling).

For a taste of Lookman's skill, have a watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYqtaeRMpW0

He's barely played for us even, but seriously - I think he's one of the best talents in L1, and certainly one of the best Charlton players of the last few years.

Good luck to Everton and Ademola!
    I genuinely rate him very very highly. As for his inconsistencies - he's 19, of course he'll have some, and we may have come close to burning him out. He can go missing at times, and offers little defensively. BUT - I've seen him piss all over defences like it's nothing. I can almost completely forgive his weaknesses.

Hope he does well for you.

That pass from Crofts for the goal against MK, it's like Crofts saved up all the good he could do on a football pitch and used it for just one thing. It's head and shoulders above the dross he normally serves up.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    It has to be both untrue and prejudicial. Fails on both counts.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    It has got to the point that I am neither surprised nor in the slightest offended when she says one thing and something else seems to happen.

It's almost so common that it's not worth mentioning.

Having said that it's nothing new. The club has always said things running up to the season ticket deadline that, for some reason or other, didn't happen. Steve Waggot one year promised that we were going to make a decent challenge for promotion then at the end of the season, when we'd been relegated, he let slip that the plans and projections had been for a mid table finish.

On Lookman even if it was the club's intention to keep him there does come a price when he'd have to have been sold so it is possible that when KM said we wouldn't be selling him she, genuinely, meant it. I, genuinely, have no intention of selling my house. For a whole host of reasons staying where I am is incredibly important to me, but if someone offers me £2m for it I would agree to sell. £10m for Lookman is too good to turn down.

There seems to be many sources that claim that we turned down c. £6m in the summer for him. Also I'd have been inconsolable had our best player (relatively) been sold to Palace so this deal is much, much better as far as I'm concerned.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    I wish the kid well. Gone about his business in the right way for himself and the club. A few other players can learn from him off the pitch. Mark my words - he will end up a player like Defoe. Credit to the Everton scouts for spotting it.

No problem with him being sold - but the bit that will disapoint us is the £2 or £3m that is needed to get us back up won't be forthcoming.
  • Options
    If it's, say, £4m upfront with a potential £6m in additional payments based on achievements - can Duchatelet contractually oblige Everton to make those additional payments directly to Starpix rather than Charlton ? I.e if he no longer owned Charlton he would still be entitled to the bonus payments ? Is it allowed ?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

If it's, say, £4m upfront with a potential £6m in additional payments based on achievements - can Duchatelet contractually oblige Everton to make those additional payments directly to Starpix rather than Charlton ? I.e if he no longer owned Charlton he would still be entitled to the bonus payments ? Is it allowed ?

Not that I know, but would that not be third party ownership?

I'm fairly sure that the eagle-eyed football authorities would look askance at such a thing, and act decisively....
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    From what I understand - £8m of it is upfront - which suggests Roland is looking to sell! He will sell for more if we are in the Championship, which is a positive, but the bloke is a fool which is a negative.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

se9addick said:

I'm fairly sure that the eagle-eyed football authorities would look askance at such a thing, and act decisively....
    The third party ownership thing is kind of what I was thinking of - but I'm pretty sure those rules only forbid a third party from having control over a player - I'm not sure if potentially owing a few million to some guy in Belgium rather than the club you bought him from would really amount to that guy having any control over the player ?
  • Options
    Missed It said:

dickplumb said:

Missed It said:

That video highlights some of the issues with Lookman's game. He is so 'head-down', he runs himself into trouble and the crowd are impressed when he tricks his way out of it. At the moment he is a park footballer. He is all dribble, tricks and heading straight for goal which is great with your mates and jumpers for goalposts but an organised team can effectively remove him from a game. We've seen it quite a few times already this season, either bullied by hard-faced League One pros or marked out of sight. I feel he'd be better off playing up front with Maginnes at the moment where his direct sort of play can do some damage and leave the midfield to keep its shape instead of running round (slowly!) filling the Lookman shaped holes.

Everton will not be getting the finished product by a very long way. I find it shocking that they are prepared to lash that much money on a player who is tactically naive and easily bullied out of a game. He looks like a child against men out there sometimes.

What a load of rubbish. Everton's Chief Scout is Steve Walsh who identified most of Leicester's players. They didn't do too badly. Lookman is quick, got good ball control and can shoot hard off either foot. He can also beat a man. I can't believe that you have looked at that YouTube clip and not been impressed.

I'm not saying he isn't skilled or quick or talented. I'm saying he still plays like he did as a kid when he was the best player in the team by miles. He won't get away with that any more. He needs to develop still, physically and tactically. I find it amazing that Everton would be prepared to pay so much money for a player they will still need to put a lot of work into. Roland is patting himself on the back for making a pile of cash, but Charlton are selling a half-finished player.
    They're prepared to pay it because they can see the potential, unlike you.
    With better players around him he will not need to hold onto the ball for so long. In the video there are plenty examples of him off-loading the ball or playing one-twos.
    No player at 19 is the finished article.
    Whether we will see any of the cash invested in the team is highly doubtful IMO.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    I have to say I am totally confused.
    There are so many different amounts and payment alternatives being banded around by different posters in this thread (all of whom are either speculating or
    claiming to be "in the know"), regarding the fee it's mind boggling.
    It's at the point where surely no one can make head or tail of it.......shall we all be honest and just say "undisclosed fee" payment terms "unknown".
  • Options
    se9addick said:

se9addick said:

The third party ownership thing is kind of what I was thinking of - but I'm pretty sure those rules only forbid a third party from having control over a player - I'm not sure if potentially owing a few million to some guy in Belgium rather than the club you bought him from would really amount to that guy having any control over the player ?
    I would imagine, however, that it's a question of who can hold the player's registration. So, Charlton, or even STVV can, but Staprix cannot - in which case, I do not see how any subsequent payments can be made to Staprix by Everton, without this being a breach of the rules. There's nothing to stop Charlton making a payment to Staprix, but I'd be interested to see how any new "owner" could justify such a payment to dear Uncle Roland.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

There are so many different amounts and payment alternatives being banded around by different posters in this thread (all of whom are either speculating or
    It's at the point where surely no one can make head or tail of it.......shall we all be honest and just say "undisclosed fee" payment terms unknown.

If ANYONE (whether it be fan or press) knows the fee that has been agreed between any two clubs then they're surely either talking rubbish or they are the Chairman from one of the two clubs as why is the owner of either club going to release the actual amount spent.

It lets rival clubs know that the selling club now potentially have £10m to spend on a replacement and because of that will jack up the prices for their players... same with the buying club, if they spend £10m on a player then rival clubs will believe they've got a lot more money to spend and will again, jack up the prices of their players
  • Options

It's at the point where surely no one can make head or tail of it.......shall we all be honest and just say "undisclosed fee" payment terms unknown.

If ANYONE (whether it be fan or press) knows the fee that has been agreed between any two clubs then they're surely either talking rubbish or they are the Chairman from one of the two clubs as why is the owner of either club going to release the actual amount spent.

It lets rival clubs know that the selling club now potentially have £10m to spend on a replacement and because of that will jack up the prices for their players... same with the buying club, if they spend £10m on a player then rival clubs will believe they've got a lot more money to spend and will again, jack up the prices of their players
    Very true FA.....which is yet another reason why everyone gets confused.
  • Options

Very true FA.....which is yet another reason why everyone gets confused.
    Its also why I laugh whenever people moan about a transfer being "Undisclosed"
  • Options
    The only thing you can be sure of it will be 'undisclosed'

Banding a figure like 10m around in the press suits both clubs in this instance. For Everton it shows they are investing seriously in young talent and for Charlton it shows they are getting high value for their players.

I'm told the real figure is much lower (I don't know the actual figures). It's interesting though on a couple of points:

I doubt it's too far away from what they turned down from Palace in the summer. That was turned down as Roland's advisers were convinced his valuation was only going in one direction over the next 12-18 months. Perhaps that has been reassessed? Perhaps Lookman is not particularly happy here? Perhaps it's a sign of Roland getting some dividend back out the club?

Who knows
  • Options

Missed It said:

dickplumb said:

Missed It said:

That video highlights some of the issues with Lookman's game. He is so 'head-down', he runs himself into trouble and the crowd are impressed when he tricks his way out of it. At the moment he is a park footballer. He is all dribble, tricks and heading straight for goal which is great with your mates and jumpers for goalposts but an organised team can effectively remove him from a game. We've seen it quite a few times already this season, either bullied by hard-faced League One pros or marked out of sight. I feel he'd be better off playing up front with Maginnes at the moment where his direct sort of play can do some damage and leave the midfield to keep its shape instead of running round (slowly!) filling the Lookman shaped holes.

Everton will not be getting the finished product by a very long way. I find it shocking that they are prepared to lash that much money on a player who is tactically naive and easily bullied out of a game. He looks like a child against men out there sometimes.

What a load of rubbish. Everton's Chief Scout is Steve Walsh who identified most of Leicester's players. They didn't do too badly. Lookman is quick, got good ball control and can shoot hard off either foot. He can also beat a man. I can't believe that you have looked at that YouTube clip and not been impressed.

I'm not saying he isn't skilled or quick or talented. I'm saying he still plays like he did as a kid when he was the best player in the team by miles. He won't get away with that any more. He needs to develop still, physically and tactically. I find it amazing that Everton would be prepared to pay so much money for a player they will still need to put a lot of work into. Roland is patting himself on the back for making a pile of cash, but Charlton are selling a half-finished player.
    They're prepared to pay it because they can see the potential, unlike you.
    With better players around him he will not need to hold onto the ball for so long. In the video there are plenty examples of him off-loading the ball or playing one-twos.
    No player at 19 is the finished article.
    Whether we will see any of the cash invested in the team is highly doubtful IMO.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not down on the kid at all, he's a talent. I find him entertaining to watch and frustrating at the same time. He's still got a long way to go though.

It's a fault of mine, seeing the 'areas for improvement' over the good things. I was on a course for instructors a while back, we all debrief and critic each others lessons and presentations, you know the usual sort of thing, one good point, two things to improve. I gave one bloke an absolute dismantling, didn't even realise I was doing it until everyone was falling about laughing!

It just saddens me that top flight teams hoover up any talent they see, regardless of whether the players are ready or not. It's a speculative punt on Everton's part. Charlton need a player like Lookman if they are going to get anywhere, Everton are just another team stockpiling young players, playing a numbers game that some will come good.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

It's irrelevant, as if future transfer payments of £6m were due to go elsewhere, then the value of the club when sold would be reduced accordingly. Due diligence would reveal these little tricks

I doubt it's too far away from what they turned down from Palace in the summer. That was turned down as Roland's advisers were convinced his valuation was only going in one direction over the next 12-18 months. Perhaps that has been reassessed? Perhaps Lookman is not particularly happy here? Perhaps it's a sign of Roland getting some dividend back out the club?

Who knows

It is possible that Katrien turned down Palace as she knew that selling our best player to them would cause riots! And it was at the end of the window, so no chance of getting a replacement in. At least we have a whole month now...