Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Everton agree fee for Lookman (ed. Gone)

Comments

• Options
    Curb_It said:

This comment about KR in the Liverpool Echo raised an eyebrow.

And while the new Charlton boss is rather prone to the odd grand statement, his recent quotes on Lookman are telling.

“I’m so excited to be working with the best kid outside the Premier League," Robinson said. “How amazing is that on your first day? Here you go, work with him. Woah!

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/who-everton-target-ademola-lookman-12377122

Did he think he was going to have to earn Lookmans trusts and respect before working with him?
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

This comment about KR in the Liverpool Echo raised an eyebrow.

And while the new Charlton boss is rather prone to the odd grand statement, his recent quotes on Lookman are telling.

“I’m so excited to be working with the best kid outside the Premier League," Robinson said. “How amazing is that on your first day? Here you go, work with him. Woah!

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/who-everton-target-ademola-lookman-12377122

Sounds like somebody trying to edge demand and the asking price.

• Options
    Probably won't be long before Dillon Phillips is sold too
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Thanks a lot to everyone who responded. An interesting mix of comments about Lookman.

Just a couple of things. Thanks for the warm welcome extended by everyone. Even the one slightly snarky comment was quite a funny one, and I dare say our fans would make the odd comment if an opposing fan posted on our forums, so no worries at all about that.

Also, some of our fans aren't the most patient with young players either, so I know how frustrating that element of the support can be when you are trying to develop a young player with potential, and give him space to improve and learn from mistakes.

Finally, best of luck to your club in the rest of the season and in the future. I recall plenty of tough games against you boys, and a few losses for us in amongst that. Genuinely sorry to see the issues that you guys are experiencing at the moment. Hope that's a temporary thing, and that you make your way back to the top flight. Other clubs have overcome similar situations with terrible ownership, so keep the faith!

What a top comment.
    I'm planning a Beatles Tour trip next year, maybe see ya for a pint.
    And can we have some players on loan please ;-)
  • Options

10m looks an amazing fee for us when you consider Everton signed striker Dominic Calvert-Lewin who is the same age as Lookman and also has England U20 caps from Sheffield United in the summer for just £1.5m

So wheres he
  • Options

Splodge said:

If you look at the players who have left recently, and how they were playing when sold/lost, these last few years could've been a golden age for a club with decent owners. Imagine adding experience to the likes of Lookman, Cousins, Gomez, Harriott & Poyet, plus keeping the likes of Gudmundsson, Pope etc. That could have been a chance to get promoted to the Prem, not relegated to L1.

Unfortunately the premier league has never been the game plan of the Belgians.
    Add in players like reece oxford being rejected, we could have been sitting where leeds and reading are, instead we are kust below afc wimbledon....but we have improved after every decision
    Rejecting Reece Oxford was probably the right decision last season, we didn't need a talented but inexperienced CB at the time
    Yep, instead we played the untalented but experienced Roger Johnson
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Splodge said:

If you look at the players who have left recently, and how they were playing when sold/lost, these last few years could've been a golden age for a club with decent owners. Imagine adding experience to the likes of Lookman, Cousins, Gomez, Harriott & Poyet, plus keeping the likes of Gudmundsson, Pope etc. That could have been a chance to get promoted to the Prem, not relegated to L1.

Unfortunately the premier league has never been the game plan of the Belgians.
    Add in players like reece oxford being rejected, we could have been sitting where leeds and reading are, instead we are kust below afc wimbledon....but we have improved after every decision
    Rejecting Reece Oxford was probably the right decision last season, we didn't need a talented but inexperienced CB at the time
    Yep, instead we played the untalented but experienced Roger Johnson
    Riga brought in Teixiera and Fanni to play at CB.
  • Options
    it'll be an undisclosed fee .. let's hope that A) it's a good few quid .. and B) the dough is spent on new players
  • Options
    Will always remember the goal away at Brighton - scored from an impossible angle.
    Sad to lose Looky when we are a "top six side" according to KM - sadly she didn't say if it was L1 or L2 !
  • Options
    This experiment lark of President Duchatelet is working to a tee.
  • Options

Have a feeling he could carry his goals and direct running into the PL. Could easily get a couple of screamers with either foot and then people will be going mad. Amazing shooting ability for a winger.

Cant say a bad word about him. Cant judge him in this team he is another level in terms of speed in execution. Seems to have done his best and not agitated for the move.

Good luck Ade and thanks for some real highlights in the last 18 months.

I'm not sure what his best position is. He's not a classic winger or wide player, as his game if about dribbling through the centre and shooting.
  • Options

10m looks an amazing fee for us when you consider Everton signed striker Dominic Calvert-Lewin who is the same age as Lookman and also has England U20 caps from Sheffield United in the summer for just £1.5m

If £10M is even remotely achievable it is going to be the absolute maximum possible from a long list of add-ons, appearances, international selection, goals scored. Money up front will be a fraction of that figure and more closely based on what Ademola and his agent will be due from Charlton given that he only recently signed a new and presumably enhanced contract. And with Charlton's executives recent record in contract negotiations I'd bet even Roly won't have much bunce to take out of this one. As for transfer funds for KR, don't make me laugh, I may puke.
    There'll be no immediate loan back to Charlton but odds on Ademola is plying his trade in the Championship on a season long job come next August.
    Farewell Ademola, nice to have seen you play a few times and thanks for all you tried to do at Charlton.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    PaddyP17 said:

RoyalBlue said:

Splodge said:

Their squad isn't massive and they use people like Holgate and Calvert-Lewin, so why not Lookman? I'd expect him to be a sub every now and then.

Yeah agreed. All the indications in our local press is that he will be in the first team squad this season. Not as an immediate starter but as a rotation option, like Holgate and Calvert-Lewin. Koeman is decidedly unimpressed with players like Deulofeu, Mirallas and Lennon. I think he'd get a few sub appearances, and maybe the odd start this season, at least.
    Amazed that Deulofeu and Mirallas are "unimpressive". They always look absolute class whenever I see them play. Would gladly do a swap deal, take those two on loan at no fee as part of the Lookman deal...

As for my thoughts on Lookman, that I've already posted elsewhere (on Reddit to be precise):
    You really are getting a treat of a footballer. I've twice seen him do a Zidane roulette to get past not just one, but two or three players at a time. He's fairly quick, really good positionally, great dribbler and completely unafraid to take players on. Great striker of the ball, unselfish, level-headed... And so much flair and skill - I really really love watching him play.

I reckon he's up there in terms of potential with Joe Gomez, in terms of players I've seen come through. And I rate both of them better than Jonjo Shelvey (who really, REALLY could have been so good if he wasn't lazy and mentally unwilling).

For a taste of Lookman's skill, have a watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYqtaeRMpW0

He's barely played for us even, but seriously - I think he's one of the best talents in L1, and certainly one of the best Charlton players of the last few years.

Good luck to Everton and Ademola!
    This is a fantastic video of Lookman and what he is capable of. Only 19.. Boy, he is a talent and will go on and do great things in my opinion.

There comes a time when the standard that a player is playing at is too easy for the quality they possess. It's then when you have to let them go, regretably, to be fair to the player so they can progress again.

Good look Ade.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

it'll be an undisclosed fee .. let's hope that A) it's a good few quid .. and B) the dough is spent on new players

What have you done wrong here Lincs?
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Thanks a lot to everyone who responded. An interesting mix of comments about Lookman.

Just a couple of things. Thanks for the warm welcome extended by everyone. Even the one slightly snarky comment was quite a funny one, and I dare say our fans would make the odd comment if an opposing fan posted on our forums, so no worries at all about that.

Also, some of our fans aren't the most patient with young players either, so I know how frustrating that element of the support can be when you are trying to develop a young player with potential, and give him space to improve and learn from mistakes.

Finally, best of luck to your club in the rest of the season and in the future. I recall plenty of tough games against you boys, and a few losses for us in amongst that. Genuinely sorry to see the issues that you guys are experiencing at the moment. Hope that's a temporary thing, and that you make your way back to the top flight. Other clubs have overcome similar situations with terrible ownership, so keep the faith!

don't worry about Leuth, he's just a bit worked up over Trump and Brexit :wink:
  • Options
    Assume Lookman will not be playing against Southend
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

RoyalBlue said:

Splodge said:

Their squad isn't massive and they use people like Holgate and Calvert-Lewin, so why not Lookman? I'd expect him to be a sub every now and then.

Yeah agreed. All the indications in our local press is that he will be in the first team squad this season. Not as an immediate starter but as a rotation option, like Holgate and Calvert-Lewin. Koeman is decidedly unimpressed with players like Deulofeu, Mirallas and Lennon. I think he'd get a few sub appearances, and maybe the odd start this season, at least.
    Amazed that Deulofeu and Mirallas are "unimpressive". They always look absolute class whenever I see them play. Would gladly do a swap deal, take those two on loan at no fee as part of the Lookman deal...

As for my thoughts on Lookman, that I've already posted elsewhere (on Reddit to be precise):
    You really are getting a treat of a footballer. I've twice seen him do a Zidane roulette to get past not just one, but two or three players at a time. He's fairly quick, really good positionally, great dribbler and completely unafraid to take players on. Great striker of the ball, unselfish, level-headed... And so much flair and skill - I really really love watching him play.

I reckon he's up there in terms of potential with Joe Gomez, in terms of players I've seen come through. And I rate both of them better than Jonjo Shelvey (who really, REALLY could have been so good if he wasn't lazy and mentally unwilling).

For a taste of Lookman's skill, have a watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYqtaeRMpW0

He's barely played for us even, but seriously - I think he's one of the best talents in L1, and certainly one of the best Charlton players of the last few years.

Good luck to Everton and Ademola!
    I genuinely rate him very very highly. As for his inconsistencies - he's 19, of course he'll have some, and we may have come close to burning him out. He can go missing at times, and offers little defensively. BUT - I've seen him piss all over defences like it's nothing. I can almost completely forgive his weaknesses.

Hope he does well for you.

See, I'm going to put the cat amongst the pigeons and say that. I wouldn't put him on the same level as Gomez. Still maintain Gomez is the best youngster I've seen come through our academy and that includes Scott Parker, Shelvey, Bowyer etc. Lookman looks good, but he's hardly tearing up the league, even at League 1 level. Saying that, theres no doubt the kid is a very, very good player. Some of the skills in that video are absolutely outrageous and you should not be able to do that to a professional at any age... His close control is second to none
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    cabbles said:

RoyalBlue said:

don't worry about Leuth, he's just a bit worked up over Trump and Brexit :wink:
    Don't start with me @Rabbles!
  • Options
    That video highlights some of the issues with Lookman's game. He is so 'head-down', he runs himself into trouble and the crowd are impressed when he tricks his way out of it. At the moment he is a park footballer. He is all dribble, tricks and heading straight for goal which is great with your mates and jumpers for goalposts but an organised team can effectively remove him from a game. We've seen it quite a few times already this season, either bullied by hard-faced League One pros or marked out of sight. I feel he'd be better off playing up front with Maginnes at the moment where his direct sort of play can do some damage and leave the midfield to keep its shape instead of running round (slowly!) filling the Lookman shaped holes.

Everton will not be getting the finished product by a very long way. I find it shocking that they are prepared to lash that much money on a player who is tactically naive and easily bullied out of a game. He looks like a child against men out there sometimes.
  • Options
    Missed It said:

That video highlights some of the issues with Lookman's game. He is so 'head-down', he runs himself into trouble and the crowd are impressed when he tricks his way out of it. At the moment he is a park footballer. He is all dribble, tricks and heading straight for goal which is great with your mates and jumpers for goalposts but an organised team can effectively remove him from a game. We've seen it quite a few times already this season, either bullied by hard-faced League One pros or marked out of sight. I feel he'd be better off playing up front with Maginnes at the moment where his direct sort of play can do some damage and leave the midfield to keep its shape instead of running round (slowly!) filling the Lookman shaped holes.

Everton will not be getting the finished product by a very long way. I find it shocking that they are prepared to lash that much money on a player who is tactically naive and easily bullied out of a game. He looks like a child against men out there sometimes.

What a load of rubbish. Everton's Chief Scout is Steve Walsh who identified most of Leicester's players. They didn't do too badly. Lookman is quick, got good ball control and can shoot hard off either foot. He can also beat a man. I can't believe that you have looked at that YouTube clip and not been impressed.

• Options
    Mega potential. That's what Everton are stumping up for. Not many players ever learn those skills. Yes he needs to hone other aspects of his game and that's what playing at a club like Everton will give him the chance to do. Good luck Ade.
  • Options
    In time he could become a Kanté type .. mobile, versatile .. if so he needs to up his work rate .. as has been said correctly and obviously, he is still young .. he's too small to ever be a top class premiership striker and he does not have the pace to be an out and out winger .. we will see
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

Missed It said:

What a load of rubbish. Everton's Chief Scout is Steve Walsh who identified most of Leicester's players. They didn't do too badly. Lookman is quick, got good ball control and can shoot hard off either foot. He can also beat a man. I can't believe that you have looked at that YouTube clip and not been impressed.

I'm not saying he isn't skilled or quick or talented. I'm saying he still plays like he did as a kid when he was the best player in the team by miles. He won't get away with that any more. He needs to develop still, physically and tactically. I find it amazing that Everton would be prepared to pay so much money for a player they will still need to put a lot of work into. Roland is patting himself on the back for making a pile of cash, but Charlton are selling a half-finished player.