Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jury Service

Comments

• Options

Been to court a few times when i was young, never as a juror mind.
    Got Charlton to thank for that: )

I assume you were innocent.........
    Of course I was

But the magistrate's thought not :neutral:
  • Options
    Received a letter today saying 'you are excused on this occasion'.

Result!
  • Options

Get a criminal record. Sorted.

Another one?
  • Options

Get a criminal record. Sorted.

Another one?
    Max Bygraves singalong, something like that?
  • Options
    Did a murder trial in Lewes. One person on the jury was doing her 4th case. All the others first timers. Harrowing experience. Hope never to repeat it.
  • Options
    Five times for me too - strangely life-affirming experience
  • Options
    Of the 11 other jurors on my last case, who I'd never met before, I've now randomly bumped into or seen 4 of them since the end of jury service. Bizarre!
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

Of the 11 other jurors on my last case, who I'd never met before, I've now randomly bumped into or seen 4 of them since the end of jury service. Bizarre!

In a way that makes more sense or is more likely than being put on the same jury as 4 people you already know.
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

How do you know you've never bumped into them before?
    You would have no reason to recognise them until now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fiiish said:

Rizzo said:

In a way that makes more sense or is more likely than being put on the same jury as 4 people you already know.
    2 of the people on the jury worked together.

• Options
    I did service a few years back .. first case was a possession with intent to supply ..
    as a bunch we thought that he was probably bang in, but after discussion we decided that he had definitely turned his life around and if we went for guilty it would fuck him up for life as prison was a probability .. so we went n g .. the judge and prosecution were gobsmacked, the defendant and counsel overjoyed

Few weeks later I was on the tube at Camden Town .. the defendant got on the train .. I ignored him, thought it best ... he got off a few stops later .. as he went past me he gripped my arm and said 'thank you' .. I was so pleased to have done the right wrong thing if you know what I mean
  • Options

I did service a few years back .. first case was a possession with intent to supply ..
    as a bunch we thought that he was probably bang in, but after discussion we decided that he had definitely turned his life around and if we went for guilty it would fuck him up for life as prison was a probability .. so we went n g .. the judge and prosecution were gobsmacked, the defendant and counsel overjoyed

Few weeks later I was on the tube at Camden Town .. the defendant got on the train .. I ignored him, thought it best ... he got off a few stops later .. as he went past me he gripped my arm and said 'thank you' .. I was so pleased to have done the right wrong thing if you know what I mean

Very interesting post Lincs, and I totally understand your humanitarian standpoint, but surely its up to the jury to find the accused guilty or not guilty, if he was guilty as you say, then its up to the judge to mitigate the sentence?
  • Options

Did he bung you some free gear as a thank you?
  • Options
    Even if the crime is dropping litter or even worse spitting in the street, I'd vote for old smokey to get a work out.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Very interesting post Lincs, and I totally understand your humanitarian standpoint, but surely its up to the jury to find the accused guilty or not guilty, if he was guilty as you say, then its up to the judge to mitigate the sentence?
    it was a fairly complicated and perhaps unusual case .. he'd already pled to possession and been sentenced to a fine/com service and probation a few months previously .. he was then charged much later with possession with intent for the same incident, the charges involved the Ministry of Sound who were on a big 'clean up campaign' at the time .. we, the jury (lol) sensed some overkill on the part of the DPP, even though he could well have been at it in a small way, the amount of drugs (ecstasy) was not that huge

as I wrote, as a jury, after a lot of discussion, we decided to find him n g as there was a risk that he would be imprisoned and in any event have a big stain on his record as well as a possession conviction .. giving his evidence he was articulate, he was obviously pretty scared and worried, he had no other previous, was working, had young children, was attending drug treatment therapy, had done his com service etc etc, he deserved a break in our collective opinion ..
    seeing him on the train was surreal .. he looked to be on his way to work .. so ... hopefully we did the 'right' thing
  • Options
    Did you check your watch?
  • Options
    you the jury .. was the farmer guilty .. or not guilty .. in your opinion ((:>)

Car-flip farmer cleared of dangerous driving and criminal damage - BBC News

• Options
    Guilty or not, the little shits had it coming. Vauxhall Corsa indeed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Guilty of mugging off two dickheads in front of the nation....happy days.
  • Options
    Rizzo said:
    To be fair, you are all living in the same safe house now  ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Greenie said:
    I did service a few years back .. first case was a possession with intent to supply .. as a bunch we thought that he was probably bang in, but after discussion we decided that he had definitely turned his life around and if we went for guilty it would fuck him up for life as prison was a probability .. so we went n g .. the judge and prosecution were gobsmacked, the defendant and counsel overjoyed Few weeks later I was on the tube at Camden Town .. the defendant got on the train .. I ignored him, thought it best ... he got off a few stops later .. as he went past me he gripped my arm and said 'thank you' .. I was so pleased to have done the right wrong thing if you know what I mean
    I sat on a conspiracy case years ago at the Old Bailey and the jury was advised by the judge that we couldn't convict just one man - as there cannot be a conspiracy of one. 

It was evident that there was one rotten apple and three fairly naive innocents. In the event they all went down together, but the judge was brilliant in his sentencing and the main man went down for a very long time, the others were given suspended sentences and some kind of therapy in order to help them.

I remember the judge well as his name was Judge ... Judge Judge.  He went on to become the Lord Chief Justice.
  • Options
    Went on jury duty just before covid. Shit myself when I was told the jury I could be on would be a 3 month long fraud case - I am self employed and had just returned from an expensive trip to Australia. Thankfully I didn’t get picked, spent the next couple of days being tech support in the common room for older jurors trying to connect to WiFi etc and then got dismissed. Wasn’t pleasant arguing to a judge about why I shouldn’t be on that long 3 month trial. I don’t intend of ever being in front of a judge again! 
  • Options
    Same for me. When I done it before I was on a case for about 6 weeks I think but I was employed so didn't lose out on earnings. Dread getting called up again now I'm self employed.
  • Options
    Went on jury duty just before covid. Shit myself when I was told the jury I could be on would be a 3 month long fraud case - I am self employed and had just returned from an expensive trip to Australia. Thankfully I didn’t get picked, spent the next couple of days being tech support in the common room for older jurors trying to connect to WiFi etc and then got dismissed. Wasn’t pleasant arguing to a judge about why I shouldn’t be on that long 3 month trial. I don’t intend of ever being in front of a judge again! 
    As I said in a previous posting here, I got a note from work saying I was too important to be spared on a long case! I should have asked for a pay rise if I was that important  ;)

A lot easier when you have a letter from your employer arguing your case, it must have been quite stressful as a self employed person having to argue this with the judge.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    I also had to sit on a child abuse case and we were pre warned that it could be graphic and nasty.

A lady woman juror said that she couldn't face it and had to go in front of the judge and the whole court to plead her case.  The judge questioned her and gave her a right hard time, it was awful to watch, the poor woman was pretty much having a breakdown.  She was excused ... eventually.
  • Options
    Wait, you have to plead with the judge because you can’t afford to not be at work making money to live and made to feel like a criminal, whilst he probably packs up early to go play golf. The fucks that all about??
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Wait, you have to plead with the judge because you can’t afford to not be at work making money to live and made to feel like a criminal, whilst he probably packs up early to go play golf. The fucks that all about??
    It’s a civic duty that is fundamental to the legal system, jury’s must be a fair and true reflection of society, imagine how badly it could go if every jury was made up of rich/wealthy people.