Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jury Service

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2023
    https://m.imdb.com/title/tt22074164/?ref_=ext_shr_lnk

Has anyone seen the US TV program Jury Duty?  A tad over the top but funny, everyone is an actor, (one well known one who is playing himself) apart from one poor bloke.
  • Options
    cfgs said:
    https://m.imdb.com/title/tt22074164/?ref_=ext_shr_lnk

Has anyone seen the US TV program Jury Duty?  A tad over the top but funny, everyone is an actor, (one well known one who is playing himself) apart from one poor bloke.
    Yeah I quite enjoyed it tbf. Like you say ott but funny. 
  • Options
    I have been summoned four times, the last three in the past ten years. Yet others have never been called. 
  • Options
    As others have said, I really enjoyed my 3 week stint on a rather gruesome murder case. I was also lucky that I was only hanging around for a couple of days before being called up.

My wife got the letter some 23 years ago when our twins had just been born so she was excused but she has never been asked since.
  • Options
    As others have said, I really enjoyed my 3 week stint on a rather gruesome murder case. I was also lucky that I was only hanging around for a couple of days before being called up.

My wife got the letter some 23 years ago when our twins had just been born so she was excused but she has never been asked since.
    I think excused is different from defferred, defferral means you get get called in next 12 months and excused means you just dont have to do it
  • Options
    I have ADHD and struggle staying still for large amounts of time, I'm also hugely uninterested in the whole process, but as a hospitality worker who earns less than his partner and with no kids or other dependents to speak of, I know I'll have to do it if I get the summons, and I'll dread the day it happens to be honest
  • Options
    Wifes been called 4 times.......  me never!
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Called in once and I said that I was too busy and they deferred for 52 weeks. They contacted me again after 52 weeks and I had to go to the old Bailey. Absolutely dreaded going. I took with me a hangover and kept my head down when the names were called out. Thinking they had forgotten me and then my heart sank when I heard my name being called. We lined up in the corridor and were told that we had to get a taxi to the financial court somewhere in great Portland place. As we lined up to be called in to be accepted I stood at the back of the queue. The first 12 were accepted and I was surplus and told I could go home and no longer required. Result. The guy before me that was also told he was no longer required was gutted. I just went off to a pub to celebrate my escape. 🤓
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

• Options
    edited June 2023
    just seen i posted the same story a couple of pages ago  :D
  • Options
    Has anyone got any experience of deferring jury service?

I've been called up for a couple of months time. I'm going to be on holiday then (teacher) and I have a new born baby so I am very much hoping that I can defer it! Both of these are listed as reasons as being able to no do it.

I think my partner might crumble up in a corner if she doesn't have me being at home to share the load to look forward to.

Have always wanted to do it so hopefully they'll agree to defer it to the new year
    I did jury service last year and deferred it from March to June.  I was actually out of the country (for 2 months) when the summons arrived, and missed the deadline to respond to it - but I rang them and they did not give me a hard time about it.  It was easy to defer and select a new date - but as others have indicated, you only get one chance to do that - so pick a date carefully.

• Options
    sam3110 said:
    I have ADHD and struggle staying still for large amounts of time, I'm also hugely uninterested in the whole process, but as a hospitality worker who earns less than his partner and with no kids or other dependents to speak of, I know I'll have to do it if I get the summons, and I'll dread the day it happens to be honest
    I'm with you, I would dread a call up tbh.  I'm one of them who struggles to keep their eyes open in any meeting beyond 30 mins.
  • Options
    I got called up a couple of years back to Woolwich. Went down the court with an empty Sainsbury’s pladtic bag and wearing a trackie. They interviewed me and I struggled to tell them my name and address. A very sympathetic lady told me I wouldn’t be needed this week and they would phone to let me know if I would be needed the following week….surprisingly I wasn’t required. 

Fantastic fully paid fortnight off work. I’d highly recommend this approach to others. You can get through a few seasons of Judge Judy with the time off…
  • Options
    why did you get a fortnight off? 
    If you are not selected you are meant to go back to workplace 
  • Options
    done it twice and deferred it once, remember it being pretty easy to defer
  • Options
    There are those people that love jury service and those that don’t. I think that there are plenty of people that would go and their records should be noted as keen. And those that don’t like doing it with a don’t call them again. My brother went on Jury service 3 times. One of the cases lasted a couple of months and the duty were put up in a hotel to come to a verdict (there was one person who disagreed and stood firm) for 3 days. He loved it!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Seeing this thread made me google the case I was on back in 2011. 5 or 6 weeks I was up there which at the time I didnt mind. It was a bribery case which was fcking boring and had witnesses reading out work emails. We got shown some of the gifts which had been given to the boss of a big company who couldn't actually be there as he committed suicide prior to the case. 

I'd do everything I could to get out of it now if I was to get called up again.
  • Options
    Never been called up, too old now, but any jury with me on would take double or treble the usual time to reach a verdict because I would want to examine in detail every word said or spoken, and every dot and comma.
    I also learned that jurors are allowed to ask questions, I would be asking a question every five minutes.
  • Options
    Only been called the once. Up to Southwark Crown Court many years ago. Had to sit around for the first week & a half. The canteen/waiting area was on the ground floor looking straight out at the Belfast and all the tourists.  People seemed to keep to themselves so, after the first day I took in a book and earphones.

Finally called to a case and went into court. Before anyone else appeared, the judge told us that it was a very unusual case. The defendant had been deemed mentally unfit to stand trial. As such, we were being presented with the evidence and would be asked not if they were guilty/not guilty but whether he did or did not commit the crime. 

Everyone else was then brought in. Defendant had two guards, two male nurses and three(!) interpreters. We were shown cctv evidence, which clearly showed the defendant committing the crime (attacking workers in a take away, with a cleaver). One of the witnesses/victims was an overseas student. He’d been caught by the cleaver and had tendons cut. Had lost use of his hand and was quite obviously traumatised which, having seen the cctv, was unsurprising. 

We all went to the jury room, all said he’d obviously done it, but we needed a break before we went back in. Had coffees/teas and then went back to confirm he had indeed committed the crime. 

That was it. Lasted about 90 minutes in all. Met a young neighbour, whose family I had known for years. He was a night watchman on a trading estate I think. Was on his 17th week of a financial fraud trial. Told me he didn’t have a clue what they were talking about, but he was getting paid and preferred sitting around during the day to doing it at night 🤦🏻‍♂️ 
  • Options
    I was called to the Old Bailey then transferred, before I'd even started to  Royal Courts of Justice in the Strand about 25 years ago. The case was a libel one and was quite looking forward to a bit of celebrity gossip/entertainment. We all sat round for about an hour while the court  discussed bits and pieces then the judge asked us into court. He told us all had been settled, we weren't need and as it was so close to Christmas it was not worth starting any more cases. 
    And that is all, (1 1/2 hours), I have ever done. Total waste of everyone's time.
  • Options
    Only done it once, we reluctantly found the defendant guilty under the Law of Joint Enterprise. I understand why that law exists, but it needs to be modified.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
  • Options
    Got called once, a lot of sitting around and was eventually released without doing it. The jury system is a good thing IMO, a lot better than those places where everything is decided by a judge. 
  • Options
    Re my comment above, just to add a few things, I was amazed at how little time of the 2 weeks 2 days we spent in court, we kept being sent out for discussions between the high court judge and the barristers, I think we only managed to complete one full day, and that was the video evidence of the young girls, who were videoed being cross examined by both the defence and prosecution, it was so gently and humanly undertaken by both barrister, and the method involved was so caring. One girl was 3 and had her doll with her. It was so moving that when you glanced around the majority was in tears including me. Went home had a few drinks and didn’t sleep that night. But what made it worse was that you couldn’t discuss the case even with your wife, obviously she knew I was very upset, but you couldn’t tell here why.

The judge after the 6 guilty verdict was given explained the reason for the continual delays, basically a few months previously the defendant had pleaded guilty to a similar offence which the judge heard, and was awaiting to pass sentence after this case was heard (the defended had pleaded not guilty to the trail we were on). Probably understandable the defence didn’t want any mention of the previous trail, so all cross examinations had to be agreed prior to the jury being in court. 

• Options
    Back in the early 90's the law firm i was working was working on the Blue Arrow SFO trial.  Bloody hell it went on for a year... imagine getting called up for that - took over peoples lives.  I remember popping in and the jurors looked bored out of their minds, just regular people who probably didnt understand half the stuff.  I think there may have been a review of how fraud trials went on after that one... as it turned in to a bit of a disaster.  For the SFO, not for lawyers who coined it in.

Never been called.