Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jury Service

Comments

• Options
    you the jury .. was the farmer guilty .. or not guilty .. in your opinion ((:>)

Car-flip farmer cleared of dangerous driving and criminal damage - BBC News

Not guilty...should of flipped it when the little runts were in it. 
  • Options
    Wait, you have to plead with the judge because you can’t afford to not be at work making money to live and made to feel like a criminal, whilst he probably packs up early to go play golf. The fucks that all about??
    From what I remember they took at least 20 of us down into the court and one by one people were telling the judge they couldn't do it as they couldn't afford to.

The judge argued back saying its a civic duty but he let all the ones off that were self employed and couldn't live on the daily wage the courts were paying.
  • Options
    I sat recently on a jury, terrible case, very, very upsetting for all involved, the sentence is going to be the maximum which is 20 years judge said he would impose further additional time to be added on because of the severity of the case as he was the defendant was considered a dangerous person, oh he was to be deported as well. We were warned also that it was going to be a traumatic case before the start, also told, that to be removed from the case we would have to appear In front of the judge. At the end of the case everybody involved in the court was given the chance for counselling including the judge, who admitted during pre sentencing it was the worst case he had every sat on. Think the final sentence will be passed next week, we were all invited back to the court to hear the final, not going but hope he is never let out, in hindsight should have taken the counselling as it took around 2 months before I could have a good night sleep, must have lived a very sheltered live, as I (and others on the jury) didn’t realise that there were such inhuman people around. 
    Was on a similar case but probably not as horrific as yours, did involve sexual abuse and rape of a teenager though. We were not offered counselling but it may have been a good idea for some although I was ok. I asked if I could return for the sentencing but was told if I rang in they would tell me what the sentence was. I did and it was longer than I had hoped.  
  • Options
    Don’t want to go into detail but ours were similar to yours LargeAddick but  unfortunately much younger children, they had to give evidence because the bar steward pleaded not guilty, the children's evidence was very distressing to put it mildly, judge had to very gently tell a juror, not to so any emotion during the evidence, she was sobbing as a 4 year was giving evidence via video. It’s was amazing how the barristers / police got the evidence out of the kids, one officer during the interviews had to go outside as he was to upset to continue, we were expected to ignore that, we were also told to ignore that the guilty party was also punished by the inmates of the remand prison he was in, when the defence barrister brought this up, it was the only time the judge got visibly upset, and in front of everyone he gave out one of the biggest bollocking I ever heard, the defence barrister then had to apologise for breaking some form of agreement between the defence and prosecution. 

What surprised me, every witness lied and was proved to have lied, there was not a single truthful bit of evidence given, with the exception of the children, during the summing up, judge referred to this, and gave us a brilliant bit of guidance, if you believed the children evidence, then the rest of the witness statement were irrelevant. 
  • Options
    Love Jury service only done  it twice once at Southwark second at Belmarsh ……. always looking for that letter to drop through the letterbox 
  • Options
    I sat recently on a jury, terrible case, very, very upsetting for all involved, the sentence is going to be the maximum which is 20 years judge said he would impose further additional time to be added on because of the severity of the case as he was the defendant was considered a dangerous person, oh he was to be deported as well. We were warned also that it was going to be a traumatic case before the start, also told, that to be removed from the case we would have to appear In front of the judge. At the end of the case everybody involved in the court was given the chance for counselling including the judge, who admitted during pre sentencing it was the worst case he had every sat on. Think the final sentence will be passed next week, we were all invited back to the court to hear the final, not going but hope he is never let out, in hindsight should have taken the counselling as it took around 2 months before I could have a good night sleep, must have lived a very sheltered live, as I (and others on the jury) didn’t realise that there were such inhuman people around. 
    I always think I'd like to do it, find it interesting etc, but reading that, maybe not.
  • Options
    It's interesting once you're on a case, lots of sitting around waiting to be selected so take a book with you. 
  • Options
    Wait, you have to plead with the judge because you can’t afford to not be at work making money to live and made to feel like a criminal, whilst he probably packs up early to go play golf. The fucks that all about??
    It’s a civic duty that is fundamental to the legal system, jury’s must be a fair and true reflection of society, imagine how badly it could go if every jury was made up of rich/wealthy people. 
    I get that mate. It’s the making someone uncomfortable for explaining that they won’t be able to earn any money for taking 3 months off work that bothers me. self employed (I’m not btw) should not be made to feel guilty.
  • Options
    I got called once,I told them I was hard of hearing and had a prostate problem and needed the loo a lot . I was excused then and any further call ups 
  • Options
    Got a letter this week, been called up in the next few weeks. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    my wife was called once for a fraud case that was going to last a year. Got the Senior Partner in her law firm to write in saying they couldn’t spare her for that length of time. Did the trick because she was excused.
  • Options
    I've always wanted to do it - civic duty and all that - but on the two or three occasions I was called up years ago I had to decline because my job (at the time) made me ineligible. Having left that job I've been eligible now for the past 15 years or so, but not a whiff.

That said, more or less everyone I know that's done it spent most of the time sat round doing nothing and/or let go early.
  • Options
    rananegra said:
    Called up once never had a case. Ended up out of pocket because of childcare, but not massively. There's someone I work with who gets called up all the time. My other half has never had it happen.
    Then why do you need the childcare?
  • Options
    LMHR said:
    I got called once,I told them I was hard of hearing and had a prostate problem and needed the loo a lot . I was excused then and any further call ups 
    I got called once about 30 years ago and whilst happy to do it was concerned that you couldn’t eat in court. Called them to explain I was diabetic and might have to eat something at times but wasn’t trying to get out of doing it.

Got excused and have never been asked since.
  • Options
    you the jury .. was the farmer guilty .. or not guilty .. in your opinion ((:>)

Car-flip farmer cleared of dangerous driving and criminal damage - BBC News

Not guilty imo.

---

I was called up a few years ago do do service at the Old Bailey.  Work wanted to get me out of it but it was something I'd always wanted to do if and when the time came.

Managed to be in one of the first groups chosen on the Monday morning and we had a retrial of a case that a previous jury couldn't reach a verdict enough of them agreed on that lasted for about eight days.

Was speaking to two guys in the canteen one day that had been jurors in their case for five months.  Probably still there.
  • Options
    Got called about 30 years ago when my dad was seriously ill in hospital. Once I explained they let me off, not been called since.

I think I would die from boredom if I had to do it now. 
  • Options
    It’s a civic duty that is fundamental to the legal system, jury’s must be a fair and true reflection of society, imagine how badly it could go if every jury was made up of rich/wealthy people. 
    I get that mate. It’s the making someone uncomfortable for explaining that they won’t be able to earn any money for taking 3 months off work that bothers me. self employed (I’m not btw) should not be made to feel guilty.
    Of course they shouldn’t be made to feel guilty, I just don’t see what the alternative is, other than increasing payments made to jurors, which obviously isn’t going to happen any time soon. 
  • Options
    Went on jury duty just before covid. Shit myself when I was told the jury I could be on would be a 3 month long fraud case - I am self employed and had just returned from an expensive trip to Australia. Thankfully I didn’t get picked, spent the next couple of days being tech support in the common room for older jurors trying to connect to WiFi etc and then got dismissed. Wasn’t pleasant arguing to a judge about why I shouldn’t be on that long 3 month trial. I don’t intend of ever being in front of a judge again! 
    I also had to sit on a child abuse case and we were pre warned that it could be graphic and nasty.

A lady woman juror said that she couldn't face it and had to go in front of the judge and the whole court to plead her case.  The judge questioned her and gave her a right hard time, it was awful to watch, the poor woman was pretty much having a breakdown.  She was excused ... eventually.
    Basically the same with me. You had 5 mins to write a statement on why you can’t be on jury service for that length of time, the judge then sat and tore apart your statement “wait, you said this, but 3 sentences later you say this, which one is it?”. I was physically shaken and pretty knackered afterwards I got so tense. No joke there was a guy before me who worked zero hours contract at a supermarket and English clearly wasn’t his first language who the judge refused to let off, and some slick guy with a mid atlantic accent said a multi million pound deal wouldn’t go through if he was off for that length of time got an easy time and let go. 

The judge was a bit of a tosser. There was the second case I was up for which was more corporate that I couldn’t do because one of my close friends had just left that company and had less than good things to say about them. He was a pretty chill guy, but that would’ve only been a 1 week case and the judge said he’d make sure we’d all be dismissed from service after that. 
  • Options
    I remember my 1st time walking into the waiting room at belmarsh and seeing a builder fella with his work shorts, boots and jumper with holes in. Did make me giggle as he was clearly trying to make a point of not wanting to be there.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Has anyone got any experience of deferring jury service?

I've been called up for a couple of months time. I'm going to be on holiday then (teacher) and I have a new born baby so I am very much hoping that I can defer it! Both of these are listed as reasons as being able to no do it.

I think my partner might crumble up in a corner if she doesn't have me being at home to share the load to look forward to.

Have always wanted to do it so hopefully they'll agree to defer it to the new year
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2023
    My nephew is currently doing it, he was going to defer it, as he's at uni and in the summer he works. he would have to give them dates within the next year when he would be available. He decided to get it over and done with.

He has only done one week and has been discharged and wasn’t in one jury.

I’ve still not been called.
  • Options

I've been called up for a couple of months time. I'm going to be on holiday then (teacher) and I have a new born baby so I am very much hoping that I can defer it! Both of these are listed as reasons as being able to no do it.

I think my partner might crumble up in a corner if she doesn't have me being at home to share the load to look forward to.

Have always wanted to do it so hopefully they'll agree to defer it too the new year
    I’m going back a few years but twice my wife was called but once would have been 8 months pregnant the second time had two under 5’s. She didn’t have to defer was was ‘let off’ if you like.

have a look here:

https://www.gov.uk/jury-service/delaying-or-being-excused-from-jury-service
  • Options
    I got summoned about a year ago before i started a new job, called up hoping to be defferred they said i had to write a letter and ended up being excused for good ! Happy days
  • Options

Have always wanted to do it so hopefully they'll agree to defer it too the new year
    I got called up while teaching and with young kids and was ‘let off’ like @Rob7Lee wife. Don’t think you’ll have an issue. I’d just contact them and let them know. 
  • Options

I think that's a pretty good reason for them to accept you can't do it. I know people that have been let off due to having a young family and being self employed so can't afford to take the hit on wages so I'm sure they will let you off.
  • Options
    Maybe say your comprehension of basic English is limited to words of four letters or less.
  • Options
    I had no problem getting my original jury service date deferred, "they" understand that people have immovable events that should take precedent.

I'm not sure you'd be able to defer it again so easily though, unless you can provide a reason for not doing it at all, so worthwhile indicating when would be a good time,
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Maybe say your comprehension of basic English is limited to words of four letters or less.
    That's a good idea.  Because the judge will know the correct expression to use if you had a proper grasp of English would be "...four letters or fewer".
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    seth plum said:
    In my letter i wrote i had a moral disagreement with the concept of jury duty and would find it hard to be non-biased so got excused not deffered
  • Options
    Years ago I got called up and got it deferred with a letter from my boss at the time, this happened twice, but in the end I had to do it, seems they don't give up once they have your name, mind you it was an interesting experience, so glad to do it...