Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    I have an opinion on how much my wife spends on shoes but does it affect me? No.
  • Options
    Oh, and I would spend it now if I was him.

He may not be here in the summer. Although I think he will be our manager for a good while.

• Options
    January is a bad window to buy players, as a lot of teams are desperate to strengthen. Selling teams know this.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

I'm not feeling great and have a bunged up nose so cant smell anything... But even I can smell this bullshit

Robinson says he’s been given the green light by owner Duchatelet to further bolster his squad but the Addicks manager is unwilling to do so at overinflated prices.

“The owner has said I can,” said the former Milton Keynes boss.

“It’s not like they’ve said no to me. I just can’t get my head around some of the figures that we’ve been told for certain players. It’s extortion and its wrong. It’s amazing that Charlton seem to have to pay top dollar and everyone else seems to get away with a bit of a discount.

Spot on. As if Robinson cares how much it costs to buy a player? It's not his money he's spending. If he wants a player, he'll spend whatever Roland let's him have to get them in.
    He will care, because he will know his budget. Spend now, or spend in the summer when you get a better choice and for less money? That is what he needs to ask himself.
    He will care because he's building a team to focus on going for promotion and you don't need the distraction of a player with an over-inflated value coming into it, particularly when we've got some class acts who probably won't be giving too much thought at this moment or asking their agents about what their transfer value by comparison would be.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

January is a bad window to buy players, as a lot of teams are desperate to strengthen. Selling teams know this.

Which is why we sold Fox for LESS than we were offered in the summer and Lookman for MORE.
  • Options

Which is why we sold Fox for LESS than we were offered in the summer and Lookman for MORE.
    Because he has been wank this season
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

Because he has been wank this season
    But was still bought by a massive team in a higher division.

Point is deals are deals, clubs quote a price they think they can get not one to annoy Charlton.
  • Options
    This statement by Robinson is a senseless own goal on a day when he potentially hugely enhanced his reputation with Charlton fans. Where is his evidence that "Charlton have to pay top dollar and others get away with a bit of a discount"? How could he possibly know what "discounts" other clubs get? I cannot think of any reason why a Championship club would think Charlton have far more money to spend, and more reason to spend it than Sheffield United.

I can think of a reason why said Championship club might think they can get Charlton to pay more than SU for a given player, but it's not the reason Robinson has in mind, and it's not "wrong".
  • Options
    Worth noting that Tom Rubashow wrote the match report.
  • Options
    " I spoke to someone the other day who is a top academy director and he used to work in South East London. He felt it is the hottest property for young players. Maybe we need to look closer to home.”

So basically no need to make any further signings. Just continue to play more kids from the academy.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Unfair to criticise Robinson for not wanting to let clubs take the piss with over inflated prices. Curbishley never used to do it and I don't want any Charlton manager to feel he doesn't have a responsibility to manage his budget.

Yes we all would like some signings but football is fucked up enough already without Robinson spunking money.

Some people need to wise up and start living in the real world or perhaps piss off and support Citeh or Chelsea.

Jimmy Seed certainly didn't do it.

And his purchasing so far appears pretty astute. JKF, Byrne, and possible Page too, if we get a long enough look at him!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    shirty5 said:

If your a club and another club comes in for your player after they have got 7/8 million on a couple of sales, then of course you are going to chance your arm and add a couple of hundred thousand on the value of a player.

It's nothing new, so bleating about it in press conferences is not going to change anything.

Bit unnecessary. Give him a break. He's doing well. You're nit picking for the sake of it.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

shirty5 said:

If your a club and another club comes in for your player after they have got 7/8 million on a couple of sales, then of course you are going to chance your arm and add a couple of hundred thousand on the value of a player.

It's nothing new, so bleating about it in press conferences is not going to change anything.

Bit unnecessary. Give him a break. He's doing well. You're nit picking for the sake of it.
    Behave. The fella is bleating about something that's not new when it comes to transfers.

Nothing to do with him doing well.
  • Options

This statement by Robinson is a senseless own goal on a day when he potentially hugely enhanced his reputation with Charlton fans. Where is his evidence that "Charlton have to pay top dollar and others get away with a bit of a discount"? How could he possibly know what "discounts" other clubs get? I cannot think of any reason why a Championship club would think Charlton have far more money to spend, and more reason to spend it than Sheffield United.

I can think of a reason why said Championship club might think they can get Charlton to pay more than SU for a given player, but it's not the reason Robinson has in mind, and it's not "wrong".

Well it's true none of us know for sure but let's just try looking at it this way.

Charlton are without doubt one of the bigger names in the division. The clubs where we are shopping know that we must get out of this division sooner rather than later. They have seen that we have paid very good money in the last two seasons for a few players (Mostly wasted). We have just sold two players for a combined £10 million ?

I don't think it's stretching the realms of possibility to think they might be inclined to overprice.

Or we can continue to disbelieve everything that Robinson says because we just disbelieve everything.

I want Roland out as much as anyone but I'm certainly not so cynical to dismiss as lies everything that comes out of the club. That way lies madness.

Ah. Well that is what I was referring to. That isn't extortion, mate. That is simply an astute observation of the competence or otherwise of the people opposite, with whom you are negotiating. It's business, and as @shirty5 said, bleating about it is pointless. He should shut up and talk about his team, his players. If he thinks he needs to strengthen, by all means say that. If the club wishes to tell its supporters that it is trying to strengthen but believes it cannot find value in the market, then there is only one person who should be charged with saying that in public. The CEO.

• Options
    I am not "pissing on the club". I am criticising Robinson for a totally unnecessary comment, unsupported by any evidence, which in my opinion detracted from a fine performance both by the team and by him.

As I said on the match thread immediately after the match thread

Bloody hell, must be one of the best performances under this dismal regime. KR deserves a reappraisal after this

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/comment/2756008/#Comment_2756008

Next?
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    JiMMy 85 said:

Critiquing a fairly inconsequential quote about transfers this seems very excessive to me. I like him more than many on here, and fair enough if you don't like his style, but even still, give the guy a break.

I am afraid I don't think it is inconsequential, Jimmy. I think he is setting us up for disappointment regarding any further strengthening in the window. I could be wrong, but that is how I clearly interpreted it. I think he should leave that to the CEO, as I said earlier.

• Options
    JamesSeed said:

shirty5 said:

JamesSeed said:

shirty5 said:

Behave. The fella is bleating about something that's not new when it comes to transfers.

Nothing to do with him doing well.
    But it's having a go at Robinson again, and looking for any excuse to do so. The word 'bleating' is quite a harsh and unnecessary one to use.
    And it's such a minor inconsequential point about the transfer business. Who cares if it's something not new. It's just the way he talks or did you prefer the tight lipped Slade?
    You're looking for any excuse to have a go, and I genuinely don't see why you do it.
    Rubbish. If any Charlton manager came out with that, I would say exactly the same, be it Curbishley, Lawrence etc.