Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Robinson reaction after Bolton

Comments

• Options
    stonemuse said:

Unfair to criticise Robinson for not wanting to let clubs take the piss with over inflated prices. Curbishley never used to do it and I don't want any Charlton manager to feel he doesn't have a responsibility to manage his budget.

Totally against this regime for all the reasons we already know.

However, I agree with you SHG ... on this occasion, there is no basis to criticise KR. If he is lying, that's one hell of a conspiracy theory that is being implied.
    I don't think he told a cold deliberate lie. I think he just talked out of his arse without thinking too much about the words he used. After all, "extortion" is as loaded an accusation as "lie".

Everyone seems to have forgotten our discussion in December, that most well run clubs had their plan for the window already mapped out, whereas the hapless KR had to make his infamous trip to Belgium to "try and get a board meeting". Had we been a well run club we could have made an agreement on our key targets before we sold Lookman and Fox, thus preventing the perception that we are loaded with cash to splash (although i think most clubs have already sussed out RD and realise that most normal behaviour patterns don't apply)

• Options

stonemuse said:

Unfair to criticise Robinson for not wanting to let clubs take the piss with over inflated prices. Curbishley never used to do it and I don't want any Charlton manager to feel he doesn't have a responsibility to manage his budget.

However, I agree with you SHG ... on this occasion, there is no basis to criticise KR. If he is lying, that's one hell of a conspiracy theory that is being implied.
    I don't think he told a cold deliberate lie. I think he just talked out of his arse without thinking too much about the words he used. After all, "extortion" is as loaded an accusation as "lie".

Everyone seems to have forgotten our discussion in December, that most well run clubs had their plan for the window already mapped out, whereas the hapless KR had to make his infamous trip to Belgium to "try and get a board meeting". Had we been a well run club we could have made an agreement on our key targets before we sold Lookman and Fox, thus preventing the perception that we are loaded with cash to splash (although i think most clubs have already sussed out RD and realise that most normal behaviour patterns don't apply)

agree signings before sales announced? How weird.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    More by luck than judgement - which is clear going by past appointments, but we have stumbled on a very good manager who is a great fit for us. Support the manager and team, but not the regime.
  • Options
    Robinson has toned down the scouse wide boy 'ello la', ow's it goin' act and is all the better for it .. this post match discussion was accurate and sensible ..
    BUT as I wrote on another post, in the long term he will be judged by the team's results and performances and not by his elocution and rhetoric
  • Options
    Cant believe people want to knock Robinson I for one am optimistic for the the future. He is cocky and full of himself but so what: if he instills half that belief into the playets we will do well. Next week we get a result and game on. Worth mentioning ourselves and Fleetwood are the divisions form teams.
  • Options

stonemuse said:

Again PA that's pretty harsh !!!! Hapless KR. Ffs.

Just my opinion but I think he's done alright in what I will agree are probably difficult circumstances. Hapless is uncalled for and it's starting to sound very much like a witch hunt by some posters regarding the manager.

Duchatelet and Meire are there to be shot at but I think some of you are being very unfair about Robinson.

Just my view.
    And mine.
    And obviously, because of my family connection, I know everything there is to know about managers, and football generally. Yes I do.
    Never been wrong. Never.

• Options

stonemuse said:

KR appointed end of November ...he didn't exactly have much time to map out plans for the window, hence the need to spend more time with RD in Belgium.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why or why people just bloody moan at anything that comes out of the club is beyond me, don't suppose he would give a Scouse toss, KR that is, but dammed if he does dammed if he dosn't, best manager we have had since CP and could be an even better one. Ps I also detest the regime.
  • Options

stonemuse said:

Again PA that's pretty harsh !!!! Hapless KR. Ffs.

Just my opinion but I think he's done alright in what I will agree are probably difficult circumstances. Hapless is uncalled for and it's starting to sound very much like a witch hunt by some posters regarding the manager.

Duchatelet and Meire are there to be shot at but I think some of you are being very unfair about Robinson.

Just my view.

Sorry, mate, again you've lost me. Maybe I have lost my grasp of the language. I used the word "hapless" in a way which was meant to be sympathetic towards Robinson. It is preposterous and outrageous that Duchatelet hired Robinson close to the window and then apparently left him to get on with it, without in any way setting up a process to optimise the opportunity of the looming transfer window. That is a criticism of Duchatelet, not Robinson. I felt sorry for Robinson, having to say and do what he did. "Try and get a board meeting" is a pathetic statement but it is the state of the club that is pathetic, not Robinson as a man.

• Options

stonemuse said:

Hey, Einstein. How about you give it a rest about knowing everything? You don't. All you do is spout bile at every opportunity and if there is no reason you come up with one of your 'theories'. Well guess what? It has long since become pathetic and I'm pretty sure, that like me, most people do not give a monkeys what you think.
  • Options
    Major said:

stonemuse said:

Hey, Einstein. How about you give it a rest about knowing everything? You don't. All you do is spout bile at every opportunity and if there is no reason you come up with one of your 'theories'. Well guess what? It has long since become pathetic and I'm pretty sure, that like me, most people do not give a monkeys what you think.
    You don't like what he says, fair enough, I disagree with him sometimes too but @major dont claim to speak for anyone else.

• Options
    Major said:

stonemuse said:

This is very very wide of the mark.

• Options
    What a ridiculous thread.
  • Options

Major said:

stonemuse said:

You don't like what he says, fair enough, I disagree with him sometimes too but @major dont claim to speak for anyone else.

I don't have to claim anything. Just read people's responses to the constant negativity.
  • Options
    Major said:

Major said:

stonemuse said:

I don't have to claim anything. Just read people's responses to the constant negativity.
    Oh yes, meant to add, thank you for telling me how to conduct myself.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Major said:

stonemuse said:

This is very very wide of the mark.

More akin to blasphemy, I would imagine.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Why or why people just bloody moan at anything that comes out of the club is beyond me, don't suppose he would give a Scouse toss, KR that is, but dammed if he does dammed if he dosn't, best manager we have had since CP and could be an even better one. Ps I also detest the regime.

'Best manager we have had since CP and could be an even better one'

This got me thinking.

Chris Powell was a club hero that loved the institution down to its very foundations. He put together a team for arguably less money than we've spent this season, when we were at an extremely low ebb, and went on to break the points record for League 1.

By comparison, Karl Robinson is a manager that has so far totalled 3, maybe 4 (?) wins. He seems a good guy, and is probably the first manager since CP that has tried to become part of the 'fabric' of CAFC, rather than just turning up for work like some sort of contract hire (Guy Luzon, I'm looking at you).

Could he be the best we've had since Powell? Perhaps. But surely at the moment that is by virtue of the fact that everyone else (bar possibly Riga) has ended up stinking the place out in one way or another.

Recent history has taught me that each new managerial appointment has brought a spell of excitement and hope. Peeters punching the air, Luzon running down the touchline to celebrate wildly, even Slade - smashing Shrewsbury 3-0 and 'we all dream of a team of Ricky Holmes'. It has never lasted for very long.

We all want Robinson to thrive. It's just that it doesn't take a great deal of imagination or memory to see that there's a pretty decent chance the whole thing could fall to pieces again. Personally I will hold fire on making a comparison to our best manager of recent years.
  • Options
    Major said:

stonemuse said:

Uncalled for Major. Prague has theories, some I agree with, some I don't. But he is perfectly entitled to express them here.
  • Options
    @Grapevine49 "It has pushed ajar a play off door that was inexorably closing."

Beautifully put!
  • Options
    Major said:

Major said:

Major said:

stonemuse said:

Oh yes, meant to add, thank you for telling me how to conduct myself.
    Conduct yourself how you like, even be chippy like you are being now, just don't claim to speak for others.
  • Options
    a good result then he goes and says something like that - just shutup karl.
  • Options

that reads like there is something personal behind it.

I don't think Prague spouts bile and like everyone is entitled to his opinion

Not in the sense that we have ever met, I am pretty certain. At least @seriously_red and I know each other; I just find his arguments so tortuous, and his positions so fleeting, that it doesn't seem worth engaging. Life's too short.

All part of the phoney war, I suppose.

• Options
    Robinson's attitude and approach, at least to PR matters, talking to 'the media' etc. has settled down .. how he approaches the players is unknown of course .. I'll say ad infinitum, ignore the front, the bullshit, the chitchat to please the 'interviewers' and judge him on his results come the end of the season .. cos he is going NOWHERE until then at the very earliest
  • Options
    edited January 2017

I'm not feeling great and have a bunged up nose so cant smell anything... But even I can smell this bullshit

Robinson says he’s been given the green light by owner Duchatelet to further bolster his squad but the Addicks manager is unwilling to do so at overinflated prices.

“The owner has said I can,” said the former Milton Keynes boss.

“It’s not like they’ve said no to me. I just can’t get my head around some of the figures that we’ve been told for certain players. It’s extortion and its wrong. It’s amazing that Charlton seem to have to pay top dollar and everyone else seems to get away with a bit of a discount.

Spot on. As if Robinson cares how much it costs to buy a player? It's not his money he's spending.
    If he wants a player, he'll spend whatever Roland let's him have to get them in.
    We never made statements like this about Curbs and he treated the Clubs money as his own. Perhaps this is a tactic by KR to tell people he is approaching we wont be screwed on price, saves the discussion at the beginning.

Pardew on the other hand said that it was his job to get the club to spend as much as possible, it was the clubs job to decide what they could afford.
  • Options

Robinson's attitude and approach, at least to PR matters, talking to 'the media' etc. has settled down .. how he approaches the players is unknown of course .. I'll say ad infinitum, ignore the front, the bullshit, the chitchat to please the 'interviewers' and judge him on his results come the end of the season .. cos he is going NOWHERE until then at the very earliest

I should blinkin' well hope not!