Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Robinson reaction after Bolton

Comments

• Options
    rikofold said:

For me Robinson was on the back foot because I didn't like him when he was at MK.

I do think he's probably the best appointment the regime has made to date, although that might be damning with faint praise. He's doing a lot of the right things, the team does seem to respond to him and there is clear evidence that he's working hard to try to build a bridge with supporters. All positives in my book.

Two things though. Firstly he seems to have convinced himself he's the answer to the fans' problems with the Belgians. Unfortunately that's not going to be achievable.

Secondly, he talks way too much. That gives more than ample opportunity to judge him by his words, and frankly he's used some very ambitious words. Certainly when it comes to the transfer market he'd be better keeping his powder dry given the last 3 years, or say something non committal like Curbs used to do, you know, "we're always in the market for players who will improve us at the right price" sort of thing.

So for Robinson its a 6-7/10 so far. Mixed on the pitch, mixed off it. Hopefully it's an upward trajectory and it won't all be undone again by a pasting on the telly.

I think he has been fortunate in following Slade. I wonder how good KR would have been at doing a lot of the behind the scenes stuff Slade did. It sounds like Slade took over a train wreck of the club and in put some discipline and sense of team into the players. This meant that KR did not have that distraction when he came in.

I think Slade would have made a great director of football with a young manager .. maybe less expereinced than KR but in his mould.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

stonemuse said:

Unfair to criticise Robinson for not wanting to let clubs take the piss with over inflated prices. Curbishley never used to do it and I don't want any Charlton manager to feel he doesn't have a responsibility to manage his budget.

Totally against this regime for all the reasons we already know.

However, I agree with you SHG ... on this occasion, there is no basis to criticise KR. If he is lying, that's one hell of a conspiracy theory that is being implied.
    I don't think he told a cold deliberate lie. I think he just talked out of his arse without thinking too much about the words he used. After all, "extortion" is as loaded an accusation as "lie".

Everyone seems to have forgotten our discussion in December, that most well run clubs had their plan for the window already mapped out, whereas the hapless KR had to make his infamous trip to Belgium to "try and get a board meeting". Had we been a well run club we could have made an agreement on our key targets before we sold Lookman and Fox, thus preventing the perception that we are loaded with cash to splash (although i think most clubs have already sussed out RD and realise that most normal behaviour patterns don't apply)

KR appointed end of November ...he didn't exactly have much time to map out plans for the window, hence the need to spend more time with RD in Belgium.
    I was surprised that as part of his terms to join us, KR did not have an agreement over the budget at least and a commitment from RD, it was clear we would get a large wedge for Lookman, so you would have thought he would secure some commitment form RD at that point.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

rikofold said:

For me Robinson was on the back foot because I didn't like him when he was at MK.

I do think he's probably the best appointment the regime has made to date, although that might be damning with faint praise. He's doing a lot of the right things, the team does seem to respond to him and there is clear evidence that he's working hard to try to build a bridge with supporters. All positives in my book.

Two things though. Firstly he seems to have convinced himself he's the answer to the fans' problems with the Belgians. Unfortunately that's not going to be achievable.

Secondly, he talks way too much. That gives more than ample opportunity to judge him by his words, and frankly he's used some very ambitious words. Certainly when it comes to the transfer market he'd be better keeping his powder dry given the last 3 years, or say something non committal like Curbs used to do, you know, "we're always in the market for players who will improve us at the right price" sort of thing.

So for Robinson its a 6-7/10 so far. Mixed on the pitch, mixed off it. Hopefully it's an upward trajectory and it won't all be undone again by a pasting on the telly.

I think he has been fortunate in following Slade. I wonder how good KR would have been at doing a lot of the behind the scenes stuff Slade did. It sounds like Slade took over a train wreck of the club and in put some discipline and sense of team into the players. This meant that KR did not have that distraction when he came in.

I think Slade would have made a great director of football with a young manager .. maybe less expereinced than KR but in his mould.
    But a DoF is in charge of transfers/player recruitment, so I wouldn't think that would be a good idea.
  • Options
    come of it controlled by CARD ??

No way , that's an insult to the fair minded admin of this site , who let everyone spout off with in reason
  • Options

come of it controlled by CARD ??

No way , that's an insult to the fair minded admin of this site , who let everyone spout off with in reason

I'm testament to that.

• Options

stonemuse said:

Unfair to criticise Robinson for not wanting to let clubs take the piss with over inflated prices. Curbishley never used to do it and I don't want any Charlton manager to feel he doesn't have a responsibility to manage his budget.

Totally against this regime for all the reasons we already know.

However, I agree with you SHG ... on this occasion, there is no basis to criticise KR. If he is lying, that's one hell of a conspiracy theory that is being implied.
    I don't think he told a cold deliberate lie. I think he just talked out of his arse without thinking too much about the words he used. After all, "extortion" is as loaded an accusation as "lie".

Everyone seems to have forgotten our discussion in December, that most well run clubs had their plan for the window already mapped out, whereas the hapless KR had to make his infamous trip to Belgium to "try and get a board meeting". Had we been a well run club we could have made an agreement on our key targets before we sold Lookman and Fox, thus preventing the perception that we are loaded with cash to splash (although i think most clubs have already sussed out RD and realise that most normal behaviour patterns don't apply)

When I read the report I automatically assumed it was spin, he couldn't say "that slag Roland has stitched me up on my transfer budget". Does anyone really think KR wouldn't use someone else's money to get a team together that he thought could get promotion.

You can call it lying, but the true facts if given by KR would not have changed the message - the message is clear, there ain't no money to get the players he wants and the chances anyway have now slipped away. Telling the truth would have alienated Roland and the fans and cost him his job and ruin the glimmer of optimism in the team. I think he deserves some credit for his PR abilities, wonder if he's being coached.

We already know Roland is a **********************************, we don't need the manager to confirm it. Instead of a lie, take it as a subliminal message the fans are intelligent enough to decipher.
  • Options
    Nurse, he's forgotten his medication again

Come on @Essex_Al No comment? There was a smiley
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

@Essex_Al .. beware the smiley two face of the creep who is about to stab you in the back
  • Options
    I'm still trying to work out how a private message has been made public!

And just to put the record straight there was no slagging off of this site, a site that I have enjoyed and used since it started, but for those supporters that are sick of the negativity on here, there is another forum that has a more positive outlook!

:smile:
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

@Essex_Al .. beware the smiley two face of the creep who is about to stab you in the back
    What??

He wrote what was clearly a private message on the activity wall for all to see. I think it's only fair that he gets a bit of stick about it.

and it's 'only fair' that Dracula of the KGB (a k a @Henry Irving ) gets some stick for being a two faced busybody who has little better to do than poke his nose in and cause trouble where it's not wanted
  • Options
    Because you didn't do it right Al. You clicked on the user's profile and just wrote on their wall instead of clicking the inbox and typing in an actual new message. Its quite a common mistake made by many.

• Options
    Essex_Al said:

And just to put the record straight there was no slagging off of this site, a site that I have enjoyed and used since it started, but for those supporters that are sick of the negativity on here, there is another forum that has a more positive outlook!

You need to use the inbox (top right) to send a private message.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Essex_Al said:

It became public because you posted it on a public place!

Just pulling your leg, you're entitled to post what you did even if it was a bit rude, IMHO, to the site owners but amusing to the rest of us. @lookout found it funny as did many others.

By coincidence another poster contacted me yesterday (privately) telling me that another lifer who has a "more positive" outlook was also suggesting they read that other site.

Could you ask Lincs to go over to the other side? He'd seem quite normal there.

• Options
    Deserve a bit of stick for being a dumbo then!

• Options
    Essex_Al said:

Exactly! ; - )
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Essex_Al said:

I know what you are, you're certainly not a dumbo.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Essex_Al said:

Alright Al.:wink:
    You're a funny dude, you certainly lived you to your user name on Saturday!
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Essex_Al said:

How many letters Elfs, give us a clue................oh and I'll have a vowel please :smiley:
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Essex_Al said:

How many letters Elfs, give us a clue................oh and I'll have a vowel please :smiley:
    Not now Lionel!
  • Options
    I didn't know about @Essex_Al's "private comment" so I just had a look

It did make me chuckle. What a plonker! :smile:
  • Options
    All right you lot, you can fuck right off now! :blush:
  • Options
    Essex_Al said:

All right you lot, you can fuck right off now! :blush:

Sorry, CL rules say we're allowed to carry on talking about this for two years.
  • Options

Who are CARD and how are they controlling Charlton Life ?

I'm positive about the team and have been all season, in spite of some poor results, I've fancied us to have a bash at the top 6 which is the least we should expect when in League One but I'm so negative towards these pompous pratt owners of ours who are just trying to wing it as they go along I don't see how anyone can turn a blind eye to it .

As I've said before if you caught someone hanging out the back of your mrs you wouldn't pretend it hasn't happened and just accept her saying she's learned from her mistakes a few weeks later and it's all forgotten

Depends how tall he is (another Charlton Life obsession)

• Options
    edited January 2017

Essex_Al → Major
    Hi Major, if you're sick of all the negativity on here, try Into The Valley, at least you have supporters on there with a positive outlook. I used to love this site, but don't post half as much these days because it's being controlled by CARD which is a shame.

Al

@Essex_Al if you are going to slag off a site you use and tout for another whilr digging out fellow fans best not to do it in public

; - )

it's a free country mush and a site where all opinions are welcome .. and when were you appointed a moderator or a judge of content ?