Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nicky Ajose rejoins Swindon on loan - OS

Comments

• Options

se9addick said:

Hasn't worked out for him and yes we haven't played to his strengths but he wasn't on the bench v Millwall and was an unused sub at Bolton, so it's clear KR doesn't really rate him.

At the start of January if we'd been told we'd get rid of Ajose and Watt would return i think most of us would've taken that.

What isn't you were also told that Magennis would also be out for at least the next few weeks, would you still have been happy then ? It's not a straight swap, it's about building a squad. Do you think over this transfer window we have upgraded our squad sufficiently to be a title winning team ? Because that's how good we'll have to be to make the playoffs.

In:

Page
    Forster-Caskey
    Da Silva
    Byrne
    Watt

Out:

Lookman
    Fox
    Foley
    Ajose
    Umerah
    Lookman was always going to go. Fox not a great loss, Foley too old and slow, Umerah no comment, Ajose rarely getting a look in.

JFC has boosted the midfield, Aribo whilst not a new signing has also come in, Konsa playing well in his new role, Byrne looks a great addition, we know what Watt can do.
    Holmes coming back to fitness, Botaka returning from the AFCON, we actually have some decent options for once.

So yes i believe we do now have a team that can make a run for the play offs.
    Fair enough, I think the recruitment has once again left us lacking - let's see where we end up.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

1.5 million paid for a non starter good business that

£1.5 million ? I think you might find it was a bit less that a third of that.

Ultimately still bad business though.

apologies was 850k

I doubt if it was much more than half of that.
    Normally, deals are a downpayment and the rest in instalments across the length of contract.

Perhaps Charlton will have done a deal with Swindon not to pay the next instalment?

EDIT: Sorry Shooters, now just seen your post.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Hasn't worked out for him and yes we haven't played to his strengths but he wasn't on the bench v Millwall and was an unused sub at Bolton, so it's clear KR doesn't really rate him.

At the start of January if we'd been told we'd get rid of Ajose and Watt would return i think most of us would've taken that.

What isn't you were also told that Magennis would also be out for at least the next few weeks, would you still have been happy then ? It's not a straight swap, it's about building a squad. Do you think over this transfer window we have upgraded our squad sufficiently to be a title winning team ? Because that's how good we'll have to be to make the playoffs.

In:

Page
    Forster-Caskey
    Da Silva
    Byrne
    Watt

Out:

Lookman
    Fox
    Foley
    Ajose
    Umerah
    Hanlan

• Options
    Ajose appeared a touch arrogant nearly all of the time with no hunger. Best forgotten. Definitely not a player who wants to play for the shirt. Robinson gave him the opportunity several times to make an impact and he was seriously crap on each occasion.
  • Options
    Have I seen a few say that Ajose was signed before Slade arrived? or am I getting that confused with Holmes?
  • Options

Have I seen a few say that Ajose was signed before Slade arrived? or am I getting that confused with Holmes?

I'm pleased to confirm that you are not confused :wink:
  • Options
    When we signed Ajose, I asked my Crewe supporting mate what he was like. (Ajose played for Crewe) His response was he scores goals but offers nothing else. I think thats what we have seen. He doesn't work for the team, and his involvement in team play is minimal. Robinson wants players who put a shift in for the team, so I can see why we have got rid of him.
    I for one am not dissapointed that he has gone.
  • Options
    Good to see there balancing the books right. 11m for lookman. You can't expect to pay wages of Watt Vetokele. and Ajose. Good job we sold Fox to cover Arsenal kids YTS wages. Oh I wish I was a millionaire like Roland. His goes crazy in transfer window. Still if you had some kid picking your players to buy I suppose you keep your wallet In Your pocket. You don't want to buy another Nabby Sarr
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LouisMend said:

Ajose signing was in motion before Slade arrived but Russell was in place before it was confirmed.

Interesting. Quite a big overlap, looking back. Slade announced on 6th June, Ajose on 27th June.
  • Options
    If you ran a poll on here and asked Ajose or Watt then I think the majority would have given the answer which KR has hence the prodigal son gets another chance and Ajose is shipped out
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    I'm not sure there's hardly anyone who thinks Ajose has done well. Yes there's plenty who think he may come good.

But he's shown nothing for 6 months and showed little effort at other clubs previously.

Additionally, he rarely took the limited goal scoring chances he had with us. His technique was lacking and instead of keeping his head over the ball and striking low, he lent back and blazed over on more than one occasion.
  • Options

I'm not sure there's hardly anyone who thinks Ajose has done well. Yes there's plenty who think he may come good.

But he's shown nothing for 6 months and showed little effort at other clubs previously.

Additionally, he rarely took the limited goal scoring chances he had with us. His technique was lacking and instead of keeping his head over the ball and striking low, he lent back and blazed over on more than one occasion.

He scored 20+ goals last season so can't be that bad ? From what I've seen of him, he never set the world alight but you do have the question why he was more successful last season. Lets face it, if he had scored 12 or so goals to date and ended the season on 24+ we'd have all been praising him.
  • Options

If you ran a poll on here and asked Ajose or Watt then I think the majority would have given the answer which KR has hence the prodigal son gets another chance and Ajose is shipped out

Watt can't be loaned out again.
  • Options
    I'm sorry to see him go and doubt he'll be back .. from the start under 'back foot' Slade we never played a pattern that suited him .. Robinson obviously does not rate him .. scored two good 'sniffers' goals at Walsall, and a last minute penalty at Gills after Holmes missed an earlier one .. other than that he looked a fish out of water .. scored 6 in all for us though, not too shabby
  • Options

I'm sorry to see him go and doubt he'll be back .. from the start under 'back foot' Slade we never played a pattern that suited him .. Robinson obviously does not rate him .. scored two good 'sniffers' goals at Walsall, and a last minute penalty at Gills after Holmes missed an earlier one .. other than that he looked a fish out of water .. scored 6 in all for us though, not too shabby

Plus one against Colchester in the Chubby Checker's Mates Cup.

7 in total.

• Options
    Only been to three games this season and Ajose played each one. Possibly unfair to judge but he looked like an utter dud to me. By Nicky. Don't let the door hit you etc.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

In:

Page
    Forster-Caskey
    Da Silva
    Byrne
    Watt

Out:

Lookman
    Fox
    Foley
    Ajose
    Umerah
    All these pricks have done is sell and replace, NOT build and strengthen.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

To swap him for a dude with 1 in 16 in the force that is SPL!
  • Options
    se9addick said:

se9addick said:

In:

Page
    Forster-Caskey
    Da Silva
    Byrne
    Watt

Out:

Lookman
    Fox
    Foley
    Ajose
    Umerah
    Lookman was always going to go. Fox not a great loss, Foley too old and slow, Umerah no comment, Ajose rarely getting a look in.

JFC has boosted the midfield, Aribo whilst not a new signing has also come in, Konsa playing well in his new role, Byrne looks a great addition, we know what Watt can do.
    Holmes coming back to fitness, Botaka returning from the AFCON, we actually have some decent options for once.

So yes i believe we do now have a team that can make a run for the play offs.
    Fair enough, I think the recruitment has once again left us lacking - let's see where we end up.
    Mid table.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Also, as Watt is undoubtedly a better player than Ajose, what on earth were we doing splashing out big money on Ajose in the summer when Watt was already here?!
    How do you rate strikers by scoring goals or beating players a few times with no end result. When you are either trying to avoid relegation or rea
    ch the playoffs I would peronally have a striker that actually scores goals 4 in his last 34 game is hardly setting me alight with expectations if he does start scoring goals on a regular basis I will be delighted because it will help the team but I am not holding my breath.
  • Options
    Spanish said:

He scored 20+ goals last season so can't be that bad ? From what I've seen of him, he never set the world alight but you do have the question why he was more successful last season. Lets face it, if he had scored 12 or so goals to date and ended the season on 24+ we'd have all been praising him.
    Spot on.
  • Options

When we signed Ajose, I asked my Crewe supporting mate what he was like. (Ajose played for Crewe) His response was he scores goals but offers nothing else. I think thats what we have seen. He doesn't work for the team, and his involvement in team play is minimal. Robinson wants players who put a shift in for the team, so I can see why we have got rid of him.
    I for one am not dissapointed that he has gone.

Sounds like you were describing Killer to me
  • Options
    Another striker that will come back and score against us...
  • Options
    Boysie said:

Not while he's on loan he won't unless our CEO is so stupid they give him permission to play against us.
  • Options

Is there a clause in the loan deal that Ajose can't play in the Charlton v Swindon game this season.

You did remember to include it, Katrien, didn't you?

• Options
    Boysie said:

Not while he's on loan he won't.
  • Options

Boysie said:

Not while he's on loan he won't unless our CEO is so stupid they give him permission to play against us.
    Wait