Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nicky Ajose rejoins Swindon on loan - OS

Comments

• Options
    I think Ajose (although not personally) sums up everything that is wrong with football now.

He has one good season and he (or more likely his agent) and his club can't wait to cash in. The club sells him, probably expecting that his value will never be higher, and the player (or more likely his agent) secures himself a long term deal on outrageous money compared to the real world.

Suddenly the player finds it tough going and with all that money guaranteed he is happy to go back to his old club, earning more than they would ever be willing, or able, to pay him while we cover the excess that he shouldn't, in reality, be getting.

I'm not saying anyone has been conned and his goals speak volumes but we are not the only club with players on contracts that they are not worth - and they are significant sums, not minimum wage.

If we carry on with the same recruitment successes we will end up paying more in subsidised wages than our first team earns.
  • Options
    Newsflash: Nicky Ajose is NOT, I repeat, NOT Cristiano Ronaldo

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39256169

I'd never have guessed based on his performances this season
  • Options
    But on the pitch, he's acted as though he thought he was Ronaldo?
  • Options

“I want Nicky Ajose to come back in pre-season and prove to me he wants to get promotion with us,” said Robinson. “He’s not causing any problems. He was someone not playing who wanted to go on loan last season.

“I want to see him come back and fight for his place.

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/25638/charlton-boss-message-striker-ajose-ended-last-season-loan-swindon/

I thought that is what KR said to Tony Watt, and that went well I thought :smiley:
  • Options
    He was going to make Watt cry.
  • Options
    Not good enough
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2017
    In all fairness if we are trying to move him on we don't want people to know that he is never going to play for us again do we? Otherwise we'll be giving him away and pay up half of his contract with us - where have I heard that before I wonder?
  • Options

In all fairness if we are trying to move him on we don't want people to know that he is never going to play for us again do we? Otherwise we'll be giving him away and pay up half of his contract with us - where have I heard that before I wonder?

This is one of the lessons roly & latrine have so diligently learned over the years i.e. to be able flog off the dead wood (as appraised by "the scout") we are required to: devalue the subject in public, offer to pay up chunks of the (wildly overvalued) existing contract and leave the unfortunate player in no doubt he'll not play for Charlton again if he resists - Bob's your uncle and the dead wood is out the door and the wage bill is (eventually) reduced. Bigging up players, developing their skills, honing their craft are just 3 mistakes roly or latrine has never made and ergo from which they have learned nothing.
    See?
    Simple, innit?
    Carry on
  • Options
    Too lazy for me . Not unlike Watt . If we're going to get promoted we can't rely on these type of players . Having said that I would love to be proven wrong.
  • Options
    Think its a case of, KR has no choice but to try and get Ajose to work.
  • Options
    Translation: no new signings.
  • Options
    For a loan striker role you need someone with some physical presence up front, like Josh has. Ajose is much more suited for a system with 2 strikers (akin to the role BWP played for us in L1)

What for me was wrong about the decision by KR to discard Ajose so quickly, was that it gave the impression that KR only wanted 4-2-3-1, and would only ever play this system, which was desperately premature, and made us a bit predictable, especially without the quality of players that the top teams playing this system have
  • Options
    Unless we can sell watt Ajose or Vetokele we can't sign another striker.
    It is beginning to look like Robinson is going to 5 to make do with what we have
  • Options
    I think he is ok and would do a job in a team set up the right way for him. I also thought KR insinuated he was "deadwood" when he left in the January window which does not make much likelihood of a happy reunion.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I saw him three times and each time he was utter crap. The service was poor but he never looked remotely interested. If he's our striker next season I'm putting a bet on relegation.
  • Options
    Last year in all competition, he had 12 goals and 3 assists. The year before he had 25 goals and.... zero assists.

37 goals over two years and three assists? Doesn't that seem low?
  • Options

Last year in all competition, he had 12 goals and 3 assists. The year before he had 25 goals and.... zero assists.

37 goals over two years and three assists? Doesn't that seem low?

No, that's very good for a striker. 40 direct contributions over 2 seasons.
    But obviously very, very heavy on the first season. It will be interesting to see what happens with him this window.
  • Options

Too lazy for me . Not unlike Watt . If we're going to get promoted we can't rely on these type of players . Having said that I would love to be proven wrong.

Was BWP a workhorse in our title winning season?
    I think we should play to Ajose's strengths or sell him if he doesn't fit the system.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

I think we should play to Ajose's strengths or sell him if he doesn't fit the system.
    I thought Wright-Phillips was very lazy, but he scored goals and that was what he was paid to do.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    BWP, for all his limitations, was light years ahead of Ajose from what I saw of the latter last year. I reckon we'll get rid. Robinson shares my view I think.
  • Options

Valley11 said:

I thought Wright-Phillips was very lazy, but he scored goals and that was what he was paid to do.
    Because we played to his strengths.
  • Options

Valley11 said:

He also missed tonnes, although we kept creating which meant it was ok. We create 1 or 2 chances at the moment which are vital