Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Six Nations 2017

Comments

• Options

That conversion was the worst you will ever see in an international. Laid law wouldn't have faffed around in the first place.

Will turn up on Question of Sport in 10 years time in a "what happened next" round.
  • Options
    Time England copied the Hakka?

• Options
    Should do a Morris dance...
  • Options

it should revert to the five nations, Italy is a joke and the games 9 out of 10 are a waste of time .. good day out in Rome for their home games though .. and that's all can be said for them
    perhaps a Division 2 is called for with Italy, Romania, Georgia and (say) Russia and Spain or Portugal .. problem there is though that Italy would probably walk over that lot every year

Disagree......the popularity is growing in Italy.
    I give you India and Pakistan and their cricket teams......it wasn't that many years ago that they were both perennial whipping boys.....now look at them!
  • Options
    the main problem is that they only have 2 professional teams in Italy - and they are the whipping boys - i think i heard someone say they have lost 26 consecutive matches in europe - cant be good for morale. However, you would expect a few Ozzie Italians to populate their team - but they do seem to be going backwards. It makes you wonder what is happening to all the cash that is being pumped into the Italian rugby federation - lets hope its towards grassroots, but, hey, its Italy - probably the chairman is driving around in his Ferrari.
    The real emerging nation to watch with regard to Rugby is USA - they have made huge strides with their sevens and have made a deliberate push to try to recruit the guys who ddnt quite make the NFL teams. I think they won their first 7's comp last/this season.

With regard to India/Pakistan, i think you're talking about 50 years ago ! - i dont recall a weak India or Pakistan in my lifetime - the nations who are catching up fast nowadays are clearly BanglaDesh and Afghanistan.
  • Options
    Aren't Georgia ranked above Italy currently? I don't think it would necessarily be a walk in the park for Italy to win a second level tournament. The problem is that the organisers of the 6N don't want to give developing European nations a chance because it could damage the integrity of the competition. Also they don't feel Italy have made as much progress as they expected since expanding the 5N.

I've paid a lot more attention to rugby this past season and a half since I stopped going to the valley. I needed something to fill the gap.
  • Options
    Italy have finished above Scotland on several occasions in the 6 Nations. They've finished 4th on 2 occasions and have beaten every other nation at least once - except England.

On the other hand, nice to see Jones saying that he wants to take Italy to the cleaners. I don't want to beat them by a rugby score. I want to beat them by a bloody cricket score. Even an England batting collapse score would do nicely.
  • Options
    Joseph is dropped in favour of T'eo .. I doubt he'll be back for a while ... size matters in the centre (as the Actress said to the Bishop) ..
    Jones has selected a very strong team with few changes, proof perhaps that the bonus point system has had and will continue to have a big effect on selection, no room for experiment or sentiment when a try or two can make the difference between first and second .. I expect England to put 60+ points on Italy in a total mismatch
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Joseph is dropped in favour of T'eo .. I doubt he'll be back for a while ... size matters in the centre (as the Actress said to the Bishop) ..
    Jones has selected a very strong team with few changes, proof perhaps that the bonus point system has had and will continue to have a big effect on selection, no room for experiment or sentiment when a try or two can make the difference between first and second .. I expect England to put 60+ points on Italy in a total mismatch

I hear what you're saying, Lincs, but does finishing first or second really matter? I've always taken the view that Grand Slam, Triple Crown and then winning the Championship are the desirable order. I only tend to remember Grand Slams.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

I hear what you're saying, Lincs, but does finishing first or second really matter? I've always taken the view that Grand Slam, Triple Crown and then winning the Championship are the desirable order. I only tend to remember Grand Slams.
    was that a serious question ? .. I would take finishing first over finishing second EVERY single time and so would EVERY sportsman I have ever met, amateur or professional
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2017

bobmunro said:

was that a serious question ? .. I would take finishing first over finishing second EVERY single time and so would EVERY sportsman I have ever met, amateur or professional
    Yes it was a serious question.

I played rugby at a fairly senior level and finishing first was everything. But that was a very long time ago and I'm now just a spectator, not a sportsman! If England complete the Grand Slam I'll be very happy. If England don't win the Grand Slam then I personally couldn't give a flying f*ck if they win the Championship or not. That was my point.
  • Options

Has Jossph been dropped or just rested?
  • Options

it should revert to the five nations, Italy is a joke and the games 9 out of 10 are a waste of time .. good day out in Rome for their home games though .. and that's all can be said for them
    perhaps a Division 2 is called for with Italy, Romania, Georgia and (say) Russia and Spain or Portugal .. problem there is though that Italy would probably walk over that lot every year

Lincs - just seen this - there is already a 'division 2.'
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_Europe_International_Championships
  • Options
    Two tasty games tomorrow, both hard to call. Ireland and Scotland have home advantage but who would bet against France and Wales? Both could involve bonus points for less than 7 points between the teams.
  • Options

Has Jossph been dropped or just rested?
    I would think dropped .. Te'o has done well coming on as a sub and Joseph is way out of form .. too small to be a 'blockbuster' and he just cannot get into space to run or find a decent pass .. also, Jones has picked a team to do real number on Italy .. if it does, I suspect that the only positions at issue for the rest of the games would be on the wing and in the pack when/if the Vunipolas are fit to play again .. Care might stay in for Youngs but they are both pretty similar with Care being a wee bit more 'flamboyant'

@Cardinal Sin .. I didn't realise that the European nations beneath the 6 nations were so organised .. thanks for the info
  • Options
    Brilliant stuff from the Jocks today.
  • Options

T'eo has been knocking at the door for a while now. Bit harsh on Joesph. Personally I'd like to see Farrell back at fly half at the expense of Ford.

Be intetersting to see what happens when Tuilagi is back.
  • Options
    Enjoyed the Scots game earlier. Thoroughly deserved victory against a Wales team that seem a shadow of their recent selves.

I thought it was harsh on Paddy Jackson to be dropped today, but Sexton is starting to show how important his game management is. Very physical game and all depends on how the benches are used I think & whether the French can keep their discipline.
  • Options
    Conor Murray's kicking is sublime.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

T'eo has been knocking at the door for a while now. Bit harsh on Joesph. Personally I'd like to see Farrell back at fly half at the expense of Ford.

Be intetersting to see what happens when Tuilagi is back.
    Jones will keep Ford at stand off so long as we are winning, he likes Farrell in the centre .. Tiulagi is finished as an international .. looks like the Ireland/England game will be a humdinger and don't write off the Scots' chances against us either .. been a good series so far .. Wales & France seem to have gone a long way backwards and as for Italy ? ..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2017
    I think England should beat the Irish.
  • Options
    Backed England to win by +45 points today.
  • Options
    Italy playing a good spoiling game thus far. England not sure what to do
  • Options
    Finally England get a try!

Think the wind is causing problems. Italy have missed 2 kickable penalties and Farrell missed a conversion he would normally get
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Italy playing a good spoiling game thus far. England not sure what to do

Similar to there first half performance against Wales. England will take them to the cleaners in the 2nd half
  • Options
    England have been charltonised ((:>)
  • Options
    Asking the referee the rules after 35 minutes of Italy playing the same game plan? Shocking.

I'll begrudgingly give the Italians something though; they've clearly nailed their tactics down and are sticking to a game plan that the English just don't seem able to deal with. A pretty fascinating game.
  • Options

Backed England to win by +45 points today.

4.5 is good bet mate.