Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Groundhopping

Comments

• edited February 2019
    Hayes and Yeading 8 v Hertford 1 in the Bostik League, Central Division.

A cracking performance by Hayes could have seen them hit double figures. Hayes are running away with the title and will be in the Premier Division next season, a shame they are only attracting sub 250 gates. Yesterday there were 237 plus 2 Charlton hoppers.

The ground looks nice on the surface, but once inside the main stand there is a lot of work to be done. We walked up behind the press area thinking we were walking into a lounge but discovered the entire length of the stand was empty with no building work undertaken. It would appear the club would have come across money problems, the ground is only 1 year old.
  • edited February 2019
    Cobham v Banstead yesterday in the Combined Counties finished 1-1.  A rather dull game but came into life once Banstead equalised.

A very basic ground but average for this level, I have certainly been to worse.

A gate of around 35(plus two dogs) where entrance for £5 including a programme is very good value, but it makes you wonder how these clubs survive.
  • edited February 2019
    London Colney v Colney Heath in the Spartan South Midlands League yesterday was a local derby in the very quaint London Colney village.

A very run down but pleasant ground saw an attendance of around 80 see Colney Heath canter to a 2-0 victory.

The ex-Birmingham and Peterborough striker Ken Charlery is manager of London Colney.

• This ground is literally falling apart!

Chessington and Hook play in the Combined Counties 1st division.

The day started well as I confirmed that they produce a programme, but then entering the ground I was told that was not the case, for a programme collector like myself that was very annoying.

After a lap of the ground I retired to the bar to discover nobody was serving.  Instead of helping myself I settled for a coffee.

By this time I became a Bedfont and Feltham fan for the day, fortunately they ran out easy 3-0 winners in front of about 30 fans.

No badge either to add to the collection, grrrrr.
  • edited February 2019
    A Chessington & Hook United FC  v Bedfont Programme  from my collection.
     The game was played on a Saturday at 11.30am.
  • This ground is literally falling apart!

The day started well as I confirmed that they produce a programme, but then entering the ground I was told that was not the case, for a programme collector like myself that was very annoying.

After a lap of the ground I retired to the bar to discover nobody was serving.  Instead of helping myself I settled for a coffee.

By this time I became a Bedfont and Feltham fan for the day, fortunately they ran out easy 3-0 winners in front of about 30 fans.

Elfsberg, the first and last shots here deserve to go on the photos you have taken thread. Urban decay - it's so much more interpreting than sunsets and pets. 
  • Stig said:
    This ground is literally falling apart!

Elfsberg, the first and last shots here deserve to go on the photos you have taken thread. Urban decay - it's so much more interpreting than sunsets and pets. 
    I have taken the two chairs home for my dining table.

• Stotfold v Crawley Green was the 1st of 3 home games in 7 days for Stotfold.

Winning this game 1-0 took them off the bottom with a good chance of staying in the Spartan South Midlands League.

This is a cracking ground with loads of character.  Stotfold are moving towards the end of the year if anybody is thinking of doing this one.
  • edited March 2019

Amersham v Park View yesterday from the Spartan South Midlands division 1 finished 2-0 to the home side.

The game was played in very windy conditions that made the game very untidy, a shame that the players did not realise that if you played the ball along the floor things may have been easier.

The spectators in the stand was the SUM TOTAL of the attendance.  The official attendance was 14 but 4 or 5 guys came from Park View and I suspect were players/officials.  The other 9 had 3 groundhoppers present.

A rather run down ground but very friendly and welcoming officials, I was even offered a cup of tea from the Secretary once he knew I was the guy who rang to make sure the game was on.
  • edited March 2019

Biggleswade v Colney Heath yesterday in the Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division.

Biggleswade lost 2-1, a bad defeat for them with being 3rd and with games in hand.  Colney Heath are not a bad side and took advantage of Biggleswade going down to 10 men by coming from behind to win the game easily.

A nice little ground with the pitch in good condition bearing in mind Biggleswade share with Biggleswade Town.

Ps The dog was let in as a concession.
  • Sponsored links:

• Didn't they have our old floodlights??
  • Didn't they have our old floodlights??
    It did not look like it.
  • Stockport County v Ashton

• Did HSV Barmbek v Altona the other week in the Hamburg League. Crowd of 965 and a press conference in the superb club bar afterwards. Ground no.174 for me.
  • Simonsen said:
    Did HSV Barmbek v Altona the other week in the Hamburg League. Crowd of 965 and a press conference in the superb club bar afterwards. Ground no.174 for me.
    Altona and Dulwich Hamlet have a connection, not too sure where and how that started 
  • Berwick Rangers v Edinburgh City FC, game finished 2-0 to Edinburgh City.
  • Badger said:
    Berwick Rangers v Edinburgh City FC, game finished 2-0 to Edinburgh City.
    Virtually a derby for Berwick.
  • Berwick Rangers remain bottom.
  • edited March 2019

Harrogate v Maidstone finished 2-2 yesterday.

A very good performance by Maidstone saw them claim a point against Harrogate who are in the play-offs, this was still not enough to stop Maidstone dropping to the bottom of the table with an inevitable relegation coming soon.

This is a fantastic ground with a mix of many different stands, both old and new.  It is well worth a visit.

Harrogate is a wonderful town, full of boutique shops to cater for the wealthy middle classes.  The only down side is the pub we came across, needless to say we moved on and went into somewhere more appealing.

• South of France this weekend on a football watching trip. Friday Marignane v Entente (3rd Tier, finished 2-1), Saturday Marseille v Angers (2-2, Balotelli got both Marseille goals) and today just got back from Monaco v Caen (0-1, Monaco is a weird football experience, tiny crowd in a strange stadium).
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:

South of France this weekend on a football watching trip. Friday Marignane v Entente (3rd Tier, finished 2-1), Saturday Marseille v Angers (2-2, Balotelli got both Marseille goals) and today just got back from Monaco v Caen (0-1, Monaco is a weird football experience, tiny crowd in a strange stadium).
    How much did they charge to get into Monaco?

Do the French produce programmes?
  • Think Monaco was about €20 (Marseille was €35 but we had good seats and Marignane was free). 

Yeah there were programmes for all matches (didn’t buy one however as am not a collector).
  • edited April 2019

Harefield v Ampthill yesterday in the Spartan South Midlands League Division 1.

Harefield were made champions last week and meet ground criteria to ensure they play in the Premier League next season.

It was a nice touch at the start by Ampthill to give Harefield a Guard of Honour coming onto the pitch, a shame only around 75 were at the game.

Harefield played the ball around with the confidence of a top team, although they were very predictable with everything being played down the left.  The 3-1 victory flattered Harefield as they scored two late goals, one through an absolute howler by the Ampthill keeper.

A pleasant little ground was enjoyed more when on paying my money I struck up conversation with a guy mentioning that only doing online programmes was a shame with me being a collector, he then handed me a hard copy.  They produce about 10 for visiting officials.
  • edited April 2019

Knaphill v Walton and Hersham yesterday in the Combined Counties Premier League.

A cracking little ground, and seemingly a very well organised set up, after seeing other clubs at this level it will be nice to see their efforts rewarded with progress via promtions.

Knaphill won the game 2-1 in front of about 60 fans, I thought there may have been a few more from Walton with it being only down the road.

A shame Knaphill do not produce programmes, but at least I was able to add to my badge collection.
  • edited April 2019

Chippenham v Torquay on Easter Friday saw the Conference South Champions come to town.  Chippenham normally get around 600, around 1,200 Torquay came to swell the gate to 1,900

Chippenham won 2-1, a result no doubt enjoyed by the Norwegian supporters branch of Chippenham's.

A cracking little ground with multiple quirky little stands/bus shelters, if anybody is in the area this place is well worth a visit.  Also not to miss out on the Three Crowns pub, do not be put off by the exterior.

• edited April 2019

K Sports v Fisher yesterday in the Kent League Premier Division ended up a rather drab 1-1.

A gate of around 80 included about 30 milllll, sorry I mean Fisher fans.  An amazing turnout at this level.

• Chippenham v Torquay on Easter Friday saw the Conference South Champions come to town.  Chippenham normally get around 600, around 1,200 Torquay came to swell the gate to 1,900

Chippenham won 2-1, a result no doubt enjoyed by the Norwegian supporters branch of Chippenham's.

A cracking little ground with multiple quirky little stands/bus shelters, if anybody is in the area this place is well worth a visit.  Also not to miss out on the Three Crowns pub, do not be put off by the exterior.

Chippenham is one of my the local teams closest to my parents and I often go to see them (or Swindon Supermarine) when I visit. Always enjoy my days out there and keep a close eye on their results. Glad you enjoyed yourself at Hardenhuish.

• Chippenham v Torquay on Easter Friday saw the Conference South Champions come to town.  Chippenham normally get around 600, around 1,200 Torquay came to swell the gate to 1,900

Chippenham is one of my the local teams closest to my parents and I often go to see them (or Swindon Supermarine) when I visit. Always enjoy my days out there and keep a close eye on their results. Glad you enjoyed yourself at Hardenhuish.
    I have friends who live in Gloucester who think Chippenham is a bit of an outpost, however, what little I saw of Chippenham I found very pleasant.
  • My games this week

Thursday  - Chertsey Town 4-2 CB Hounslow United
    Friday - Worthing 1-1 Tonbridge Angels
    Saturday Malvern Town 6-0 Smethwick Rangers

On Monday i shall be going to East Thurrock United v Welling United.

• Badger said:
    My games this week

Thursday  - Chertsey Town 4-2 CB Hounslow United
    Friday - Worthing 1-1 Tonbridge Angels
    Saturday Malvern Town 6-0 Smethwick Rangers

On Monday i shall be going to East Thurrock United v Welling United.

I’ll see you at Thurrock tomorrow mate.